Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trade-in values becoming rediculous...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I can't stand gta4.

If I sell it though ,then thats like saying "it's ok to buy crap games"

It's not though ,they're crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Normally dont trade but when i was buying Metal gear solid 4 I had a few wii games i was looking to get rid of.

I had them up for sale on adverts for a while but some of them werent really moving all that well. I took two of them that no one had expressed interest in ( Crash of the Titans ,was looking for €20 i think, Mario and Sonic @ the olympics , looking for €25)

Xtra-vision were offering me €38 credit for both

Gamestop offered me €64 credit for both, so i got MGS4 for nothing plus i got a €4 voucher :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I don't get it, how does saying you like to trade games in prove that buying them is not overrated? :confused:

Lol. He's on your side... backing you up... you silly sod. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

was offered e6.00 for assasins creed, from smyths!! i know its ancient but i jus had to laugh! id rather give it to one of my mates for nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

was offered e6.00 for assasins creed, from smyths!! i know its ancient but i jus had to laugh! id rather give it to one of my mates for nothing

That's what I did with AS but he gave it back to me :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I usually keep all my games as I get a hankering to play old favourites again and its a waste rebuying 2nd hand versions if they're out of print, learned this lesson when i flogged my ps1 then spent ages trying to get the Resident Evil games and final fantasty 7 back years later ,I used to work in HMV so never paid properly for a game for nearly 5 years, just returned other stuff for them, ah good times

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

I use adverts and my work intranet and sometimes xtravision. They offered me 15 for ninja gaiden 2 and I managed to offload it in work for 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Not too surprised at the €3.00 quote for Assassins Creed. There are thousands of them lying around both new and pre owned PLUS it is now out in platinum and not shifting from there either. They most likely will end up being sold for a fiver in a years time !
    Thousands? Try over 6 MILLION :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

GAME in Limerick are selling Fallout3 new for 50, but its second hand for the a virtual steal...55 quid!!! ffs

Also they've recently started hounding people in the shop. "Are you ok? Are you ok? Do you need any help?"

I can imagine a parent getting railroaded into buying quite a lot. I generally don't trade in games, but if I do it, it'll be to Xtravision.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Fnz wrote: »
    Lol. He's on your side... backing you up... you silly sod. :D

He wasn't backing me up. He was arguing that buying games then trading them is equivalent to renting them, as in both cases you don't end up owning them. I was highlighting that these 2 situations are not similar due to the benefits of renting that you don't get when you buy and trade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    GAME in Limerick are selling Fallout3 new for 50, but its second hand for the a virtual steal...55 quid!!! ffs

Also they've recently started hounding people in the shop. "Are you ok? Are you ok? Do you need any help?"

I can imagine a parent getting railroaded into buying quite a lot. I generally don't trade in games, but if I do it, it'll be to Xtravision.

Yeah they also hound me in GAME in the ILAC centre now, must be a new company policy. Its horrible and slighly creepy, I end up doing a circuit of the shop with the guy following me trying to catch up, really off putting. I don't mind them been helpful but it really feels like an ambush as soon as you walk in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

L31mr0d wrote: »
    He wasn't backing me up. He was arguing that buying games then trading them is equivalent to renting them, as in both cases you don't end up owning them. I was highlighting that these 2 situations are not similar due to the benefits of renting that you don't get when you buy and trade.

Ok, well, I have to stop short of claiming to speak for Mr. E. :)

I just thought you were both saying that, really, buying games a a premium, finishing them in a month and, either, trading them in at a significant loss or having them lie around for years before playing them again might not be the most efficient way of doing things; especially if you have a high game turnover. Better to use a service like gamesenders.ie. as that way you can keep enjoying a large number of titles without taking the same financial hit.

but it really feels like an ambush as soon as you walk in.

Customer! Attttttack!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

What would Far Cry to go for??
    Xtra vision are the best but there deal for getting new games for free when you trade in 2 games is a bit rubbish.The list is new releases aswell.Say if you wanted Gears for free you'd probley have to trade in something like Dead Space and Fallout 3.Which your not gonna do..Might look into adverts.ie never thought of using that
    Until we inform the average idiot, this is what they'll continue doing
    one less idiot now:D

ive started renting a lot aswell.Rent for a week and even then is too long.Finished fall out 3 story line in less than 2 days.About to finish Gears got it for a week on friday.Unless its like cod4 with brilliant multiplayer no point buying

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Mr E wrote: »
    I traded in GTA4 last Friday in gamestop and got a miserable €17 for it. While I was queuing, a woman who was buying an XBox360 asked how much GTA4 was second hand. She was told that its €35 second hand.

ah man you should went to her and offered it to her for like 20/25 euro that way your happy,shes happy and no ***** are making money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 tetsuo_83

Soby wrote: »
    Xtra vision are the best but there deal for getting new games for free when you trade in 2 games is a bit rubbish.The list is new releases aswell.Say if you wanted Gears for free you'd probley have to trade in something like Dead Space and Fallout 3.Which your not gonna do....

HMV's trade in offer seems a bit better, trade in a new(ish) game, get this weeks new releases for €16.99.

And Gamestops offer of trade in 2 games get a new release for €9.99 isnt as bad as you'd think, It says the games have to be over a certain value, but it turns out thats combined, I traded in Dead Space (worth €42 to them apparently) and some piece of crap PS2 Game (worth €4 to them) and it met their criteria... got LBP for €9.99, and my ass was broke so I welcomed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Armedcor

Do places like xtravision offer cash or is it only credit...cause I wanna get rid of LBP

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

I went into town today to trade in Call of Duty 5: world at war on xbox360. Gamestop offered me €40.00 for it and Game (Limerick) offered a ridiculous €26.99 (its only a week old godammit). I'll be checking out Xtravision and Smyths when i drop the small man to school and I'll update this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

these prices are ridiculous, some charge way more than others, think il set up a site where people can submit prices and so we dont have to walk to 10 stores or end up paying 20 euro more on a second hand game

kendragon wrote: »
    I went into town today to trade in Call of Duty 5: world at war on xbox360. Gamestop offered me €40.00 for it and Game (Limerick) offered a ridiculous €26.99 (its only a week old godammit). I'll be checking out Xtravision and Smyths when i drop the small man to school and I'll update this.

Went to Xtravision, They are offering a joke amount of €30 store credit for COD5. They also seem to be the most expensive for the new games.

Also something I noticed was a big difference between same franchises. e.g. Gamestop in the Parkway S.C. Limerick was selling Gears of war 2 for €56.99 so I went back into their store in the city centre and bought it for €43.99. That's some crazy difference between the same name stores.

I think a Trade in price thread or site that is updated constantly would be a great help to people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Went to Xtravision, They are offering a joke amount of €30 store credit for COD5. They also seem to be the most expensive for the new games.

Also something I noticed was a big difference between same franchises. e.g. Gamestop in the Parkway S.C. Limerick was selling Gears of war 2 for €56.99 so I went back into their store in the city centre and bought it for €43.99. That's some crazy difference between the same name stores.

I think a Trade in price thread or site that is updated constantly would be a great help to people.

It all depends on supply and demand at the end of the day.

I noticed the exact same thing, the stores are 5 mins apart and there is a 12-13 quid difference? There can be no justification for that. Supply and demand my ass. Its not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

They are offering a joke amount of €30 store credit for COD5
    but if I was getting that second hand I would not pay more than 35-40 for it...

its not very good, hence you trade it, hence lots of people trade it, hence price goes down as there are copies all over the shop as people finished it in 10 hours and realised it was pants :)

but if I was getting that second hand I would not pay more than 35-40 for it...

its not very good, hence you trade it, hence lots of people trade it, hence price goes down as there are copies all over the shop as people finished it in 10 hours and realised it was pants :)

I understand where your coming from, but just because you choose not to pay more than 35-40 for it doesn't mean that xtravision will be selling it second hand for that low a price for a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I haven't traded in games in atleast two years. I buy the odd game from GAME or Gamestop if it's under a tenner. Otherwise it's Ebay or Adverts.ie. It makes more sense, trading in stuff is a terrible waste of money unless your fecking loaded. Tbh, as a fine mind has pointed out, the casual gamer's key to gaming heaven is renting. Rent it FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭eyresquare

i havnt traded in something in years.anyone know what you would get these days for medal of honour airborne and PGR4 on the 360.only played them once.thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Shinji Ikari

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I'm becoming increasingly annoyed by Gamestop and Game regarding the trade-in value being offered for games.

When I was buying GoW2, I took Orange Box and COD4 with me as trade in. GameStop offered me just 14 euro for each of them. Popped into XtraVision next door and they were happy to give 30 for COD 4 and 20 for Orange Box...guess who got my business!

Then on Friday, I walked into Game. They were giving (give or take a euro as cant remember exactly) 7 euro for Unreal Tournament 3 for PS3 and 8 euro for Super Paper Mario. That's just plain insulting tbh.

Game have gone to the dogs. They no longer do the price check.ie. If another shop is selling a game within a two mile radius they would ring them to check and give you the game at the same price. The ten day exchange is gone also. They only thing they have going for them is that they do some good special offers at times.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I go into Game to "window shop" before going online or to Tescos to buy :)

I've noticed the hounding too...

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭tifosi 1

The reason Xtravision offers often twice the trade in price is because they haven't been in the trade in business long enough to realise that if you buy high you have to sell high. The shelf life of games has dropped dramatically this generation. Gamestop/Game give really bad prices so that when they need to lower the price to shift a bulk load they don't make a loss. Xtravision will find this out in due course and then they'll be giving crap trade in prices(about 2 years ago Game gave great trade in prices). It's not fair to consumers but when did a business ever give a damn about them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I never trade in games, I wouldn't give them satisfaction. My brother went in trade in FIFA 08 in gamestop on Henry St. They would only give him €2! This was well before FIFA 09 came out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement