Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Skoda Superb...ewwww...

Options
  • 17-11-2008 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

Saw my first one today on the way to work, a taxi no less...Not impressed at all, the rear end is an ugly mess, and it looks pretty bland everywhere else. I know its a lot of car for the money and that the interior has come on, but by God it's looks ungainly, at a time when C5 and Insignia offer something really tasty. The definitive taxi for sure.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

its whats on the inside that counts, in this case its a comfortable interior... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Saw my first one today on the way to work, a taxi no less...Not impressed at all, the rear end is an ugly mess, and it looks pretty bland everywhere else. I know its a lot of car for the money and that the interior has come on, but by God it's looks ungainly, at a time when C5 and Insignia offer something really tasty. The definitive taxi for sure.

apparently the back seats are wide enough to take 3 child seats, fine boot, economical engine. If u could get hold of an elegance one next year, they would be a grand option for a family car against an MPV. its a lot bigger than insignia and C5.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

ohhhh its a Skoda, they are really Volkswagons don't you know, the Octavia is a great car sure aren't all the taxi drivers using them, and they only use great cars.

No sorry, its a boring poxy heap of wrist-slitting no will to live sh!te

(ahhh I feel much better now)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Ah

Saved by the boot sapce tho :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

But why does lots of space have to wrapped in such an ugly shell, I've said it before but VW will not let Skodas be good looking, could you image the new Passat looking like this, it would never happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Hammertime wrote: »
    ohhhh its a Skoda, they are really Volkswagons don't you know, the Octavia is a great car sure aren't all the taxi drivers using them, and they only use great cars.

No sorry, its a boring poxy heap of wrist-slitting no will to live sh!te

(ahhh I feel much better now)

Have you actually driven one? Reading the reports and reviews, there getting ten out of ten. as for great cars, id suspect the taxi drivers go for them, due to they being cheap, easy to maintain, and their high levels of reliability. I believe the old superb was at the top of the reliability indexes in the uk.
    Going back to Steves original post, the boot does look awfull. allthough it can open in 2 ways...like a Saloon or like a hatchback, but they could have made it look a little decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

I might be an exception, but I like it.

I had one last week when my car was serviced, and it's probably the best car I have ever driven (that includes a new Passat, Mondeo, E Class and a 5 Series BMW). It is just ueber-comfortable, and has a real quality feel to it.

Very impressed by it, and it might well be my next car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Haven't driven the new one but was very impressed by the old one when I drove it. Im around 6" and the passenger behind me 6"+ was seated very comfortably. For what it is and what it's built to do I liked it.

The lad in the boot was happy enough aswell.

DubDani wrote: »
    I might be an exception, but I like it.

I had one last week when my car was serviced, and it's probably the best car I have ever driven (that includes a new Passat, Mondeo, E Class and a 5 Series BMW). It is just ueber-comfortable, and has a real quality feel to it.

Very impressed by it, and it might well be my next car.

Wouldn't it be great if Skoda could marry all those qualities in something that didn't look like a bag of spanners. When a car is that good why marry it to drab (to be polite) styling?

Having said that the facelift Octavia is a big improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Pics?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

article_12441-img_0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

somewhere between a generic US sedan and a 3/5 series bmw at the front and sides and a bit like a previous model laguna at the back.

what's not to like? :)

Maybe its a colour sensitive design. Black may look good, at night, with the lights off, and your eyes closed, during an eclipse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

OP has a point. I had a good look at one and the photos above dont really show the problem (in fact I thought it looked well when the first pics were released).
    In the metal, the rear has a strange ungainly look to it. Certainly different, and while Im not at all suggesting it is as extreme, it kinda has the Multipla what-the-hell-is-that factor. Rest of the car looks OK, but nothing remarkable and certainly inferior looks wise to C5, Insignia, 6, Mondeo, and even the now becomming ordinary looking Passat.

BTW : people do buy cars on looks to a very great degree, and that little faux pas is going to cost Skoda some sales.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

vibe666 wrote: »
    somewhere between a generic US sedan and a 3/5 series bmw at the front and sides and a bit like a previous model laguna at the back.

what's not to like? :)

My Thaughts exactly rear end lets it down! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭RS6

Must agree with opening post. Not the best looking machine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Not the best looking machine, name a skoda that is.

But don't they do what is said on the tin? I will say if i had 3kids who needed car seats id look for one of these over a people carrier. I was in one at the ploughing championships (not a farmer down there doing work) and god it felt comfortable.

The car is perfect for my dad! Boring, comfy, not a fun machine!
    But is that what a passat everyone raves about is.
    Still each to there own, be surprised what beer goggles could do!!

Not my car but i can see the appeal

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Looks like the love child of a Saab 9-5 and Hyundai Sonata to me.

I'm sure it's a good car everywhere else but there is definately too much going on with the exterior.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

If you go to the Skoda minisite and watch the car when its driving in the dark with its lights on. The front left fog is not working but the right hand one is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

The dark red one with blacked out windows in the portal site video looked pretty good (side profile). The silver version.. not so much. The front looks aggressive but every other angle looks safe mixed with new-American looking, odd combination.

I despise the Sonata-esque tail-lights however.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Haven't driven the new one but was very impressed by the old one when I drove it. Im around 6" and the passenger behind me 6"+ was seated very comfortably. For what it is and what it's built to do I liked it.

The lad in the boot was happy enough aswell.

That's because the old model was based on the current model Passat(B6). Longer chassis, if you look at the back door it's massive compared to the B5. Apparently they used it to test the chassis first before putting it into the Passat.

Edit: Forgot to say i really like the new one. Looks well for the money. Nice alternative.
    Just noticed, boot seems to open like a liftback and a saloon. Odd
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Skoda/Superb/1.9TDI--/200843190618703/advert

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

If you go to the Skoda minisite and watch the car when its driving in the dark with its lights on. The front left fog is not working but the right hand one is.

That'll be the "cornering function" I expect. I had to look that up when I first noticed it on the Top Gear where the boys were driving people home from the pub in their own cars. James May was driving an A-Class Merc and I though it was odd the way the foglights were turning on and off.
    Just noticed, boot seems to open like a liftback and a saloon. Odd
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Skoda/Superb/1.9TDI--/200843190618703/advert

As far as I know, BMW have licensed the "Twindoor" system from Skoda for one of their new crossover vehicle.

Advertisement