Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I sell?

Options
  • 17-11-2008 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of selling my apartment.

Is this a good time? I know buyers are hard to find, but I can bank some money now after the mortgage is cleared. I'm afraid I won't be able to do so in a year or two, if prices continue to fall.

Where do I stand on tax if I sell now? Capital Gains? Stamp duty?

Should I put it on the market anyway, and see if I get an offer?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

paddyland wrote: »
    I'm thinking of selling my apartment.

Is this a good time? I know buyers are hard to find, but I can bank some money now after the mortgage is cleared. I'm afraid I won't be able to do so in a year or two, if prices continue to fall.

Where do I stand on tax if I sell now? Capital Gains? Stamp duty?

Should I put it on the market anyway, and see if I get an offer?

1. You no longer have your First Time Buyer status and favourable TRS treatment when you go to buy again.
    2. CGT/Stamp duty etc- depends entirely on what the property is, what terms were associated with it purchase and how long you have owned it for.
    3. Apartments aren't selling- the main movers at the moment are the sub 200k FTB market- and they are expressing a preference for houses, even small houses, rather than apartments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Apartments will only get harder to sell in the near future.So it depends how badly you need to sell it.And how low you're willing to go on the price.

Advertisement