Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Lecture: Julian Baggini on "How to argue badly and (still) influence people"

Options
  • 17-11-2008 12:50pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭

British philosopher and prominent atheist Julian Baggini, is giving a public talk tomorrow evening, Tuesday 18th at 2000h, in the Gandon Suite of the Davenport Hotel, Merrion Square.

The talk is entitled "How to argue badly and (still) influence people", and it's based upon his latest book "The Duck that Won the Lottery", in which he catalogues 100 types of bad argument and rhetorical moves. With examples, he will talk about factors common to several species of bad argument and ask how we can make ourselves more resistant to bad thinking. More at http://www.julianbaggini.com.

This talk is a must-go for anybody interested in seeing up close the faulty logic and arguments that religious believers typically use.

Admission to the talk is €3 for ISS members and concessions and €6 for non-members.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Tim Robbins would love this!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Might take a look if I have the evening off work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I'll be there for 20:00! I haven't been to an ISS meeting since the World convention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

seeing up close the faulty logic and arguments that religious believers typically use.

Dont think the book mentions religion much. He deals with all kinds of argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I won't be available until about 10. Ask him to wait til then kthnxbye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Dades wrote: »
    Tim Robbins would love this!
    Yes I have read five of his books and will be going. Hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

asdasd wrote: »
    Dont think the book mentions religion much. He deals with all kinds of argument.

yes...and how a bad argument is a bad argument regardless of context and in particular how religous people like to adopt arguments from other areas and fit their own ideals around it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

too late, missed...
    doh

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I had work. Anyone go to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

studiorat wrote: »
    doh

what the fudge is up with your signature Studiorat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Wicknight wrote: »
    what the fudge is up with your signature Studiorat?

yes i am also curious.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

studiorat wrote: »
    too late, missed... doh
    Er, your sig contains a picture of a man named Declan Ganley and an astroturfed Swiftboat organization named "Libertas", which the multimillionare Ganley owns and controls.

Is there any specific reason for you choosing this sig?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I don't see any sigs....come to think of it, I don't see anyone's avatars either on most computers.

Great talk, the best one I've been to in a long time (I don't go much these days).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

robindch wrote: »
    Is there any specific reason for you choosing this sig?
    I assume it's to display his contempt for Libertas?

Soon it'll be time for the Lisbon II thread on A&A!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

One would hope so, but frankly, heaven (and studiorat) only know, hence my question :)
    Nooooooooooo......!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Galvasean wrote: »
    I had work. Anyone go to it?
    Yeah I went. Didn't think much of it. Baggini is the opposite to Dennet. Dennet is an interesting speaker, but his books are boring. Baggini is a bit lackluster, but his books are brilliant.

It's a difficult subject to speak about it. It's only really interesting when you get into the meaty stuff, but he was keeping it lightweight because he was afraid he was going to loose people. Me thinks.

He also keeps saying "you know" and looks down a bit. He wouldn't have that much charisma either.

But his books are brilliant. So read them.

jtsuited wrote: »
    yes i am also curious.

Photo is too big...

was a photo (fixed) of declan ganley apparently 'tis too big...

It says politics not facts... ho ho.. Musta got stuck there from another site or something...

Any hooo! Lisbon ii is indeed impending. I have much semi-slanderous and potentially libelous guff at the ready and have already earned a bad rep in the cesspit that is p.ie. oh yes.

Advertisement