Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV's with MPEG4 DTT decoder

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭paulclan

Thanks STB
    for the helpful further reply,
    Had a look at one on pixmania, sigmatek DVBR-520 HD but as you say the vital 12 v is a must for campervan without wanting to invert 220V ac.Forgot to look at this aspect, must go back to pixmna again.
    As regards a screen, I only have an old Beko 17" which is presently serving as the monitor for a mac-mini with the vga converter supplied.May have to spring for a new monitor with HDMI input as I expect the TNT HD box will only feature scart (maybe dropped) or HDMI and not DVI?
    Does all this jargon make sense?
    Thanks again.

Récepteur TNT HD avec fonction enregistrement

AKIRA

DHB-B36HU-PVR
    http://www.auchan.fr/vad/sdv/soushomeUnivers.jsp?rayon=4239308

Found this but the "alimentation" is mains, bah!
    Will have another look around, but I notice that it only draws 13w/1w standby so a small can inverter might be not too big a battery burden, even if it ended up 20w through conversion losses, a solar panel would help balance the load.
    Progress! thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

you will need monitor. http://www.argos.co.uk/BIS?partNumber=5322408&traceablereference=TRK009

Bush DVB680 Set top box. (12 v psu)

Freeview HD which is mpeg4 dvb-t2. Will do Irish FTT, UK FTA HD and SD. Has 12v dc power supply accroding a review on tech spy.

Reduced to £99 STG from £150 til tommorow at Argos.

Hi STB,

What about France,
    will the Bush do for this too?I think the answer will be yes but I'm just checking!!
    Sorry to pester you and everybody else!
    thanks,

p.

Yes that would be a fairly bulletproof spec Europewide. You will get the HD broadcsts from the UK as well. France same codec/platform as ourselves.

Dvb-T2 MPEG4 HD > DVB-T MPEG4 HD > MPEG2

The 12v I saw was the spec of the box posted on avforums.

The monitor obviously would have to have sound, otherwise its powered speakers.

It might be possible to get all built into a small Tv with 12v supply to avoid all the individual components.

You could also just buy a USB device for your laptop that will do all !

By the way here are some other dvb-t mpeg4 devices for boats and cars, specifically 12v.

HD
    http://www.sundaybuy.com/Portable-HD-Car-Digital-DVB-T-TV-Receiver-2-Tuner-MPEG4--908_908.html

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Car-Digital-DVB-T-MPEG4-H-264-TV-Receiver-HE-ACC-HDMI-/320472142834

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭forestman

Thanks STB. Im in West Cork. Will an indoor aerial work there and also if I go for an attic aerial, what type and what transmitter should I direct it towards? Any Ideas?

A Wideband. Mullaghanish I would think.

There are 2 main sites in Cork. Mullaghanish and Spur Hill.

Have a look to see what people are using. There are threads for both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

forestman wrote: »
    Thanks STB. Im in West Cork. Will an indoor aerial work there and also if I go for an attic aerial, what type and what transmitter should I direct it towards? Any Ideas?
    STB wrote: »
    A Wideband. Mullaghanish I would think.

There are 2 main sites in Cork. Mullaghanish and Spur Hill.

Have a look to see what people are using. There are threads for both.

Mullaghanish DTT requires a Group A UHF aerial, DTT is on UHF Channel 21. Check with your neighbours as STB said or check with your local aerial installer. Where you install the aerial will depend on how good the signal is, a professional installer should advise.

Any of your neighbours using Mullaghanish may have two aerials VHF and UHF for analogue tv, a single aerial could indicate Spur Hill or another relay. Spur Hill transmits DTT on UHF Channel 45.

The inbuilt epg should display the approx 7 day schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭forestman

Thanks Lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Has anyone looked at rte news now today?
    The rolling headlines are from 4 months ago, it just popped up on my screen saying "Chelsea have won the premier league title after a crushing 8 0 win over wigan" Like I want to be reminded of that again! :D
    Also TG4 seems to be off.

• Advertisement

Both fine and up to date from Three Rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 oldperson

I have reserved Panasonic a TX-L32S10B in Derry but will be using it in West Donegal. Is it likely to be able to pick up the DTT signals once they become available?

If I want to go ahead with the purchase, I need to buy it some time today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

if its a UK model, then i dont think it will, it is definitely a 32S10B? The UK S10 only had a freeview tuner, not freeview HD

• Registered Users Posts: 11 oldperson

I phoned Panasonic's Irish support number and they confirmed that a set bought in Derry would not receive the MPEG4 signal without using a set top box. Thanks for your reply which I saw just after phoning Panasonic.

I have bought a 37" version of the same model in Letterkenny and was assured it had MPEG4; the model number was L37S20L as opposed to L37S20B in the UK. (The salesman had the tv in stock and really wanted a sale - he undercut the UK price!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭bossdrum

Does anyone know if the Sony Bravia KDL-40EX401 LCD TV is able to recive the Irish Digital channels from this specification?

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfullft.asp?productcode=ECE1939753#spec

bossdrum wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the Sony Bravia KDL-40EX401 LCD TV is able to recive the Irish Digital channels from this specification?

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfullft.asp?productcode=ECE1939753#spec
    According to Sony's website it can.

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/t32-ex-series/kdl-40ex401#pageType=TechnicalSpecs

High Definition TV Tuner (MPEG-4) - H.264 (with supported operators)
    YES

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭bossdrum

Karsini wrote: »
    According to Sony's website it can.

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/t32-ex-series/kdl-40ex401#pageType=TechnicalSpecs

High Definition TV Tuner (MPEG-4) - H.264 (with supported operators)
    YES

Thanks Karsini:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

oldperson wrote: »
    I phoned Panasonic's Irish support number and they confirmed that a set bought in Derry would not receive the MPEG4 signal without using a set top box. Thanks for your reply which I saw just after phoning Panasonic.

I have bought a 37" version of the same model in Letterkenny and was assured it had MPEG4; the model number was L37S20L as opposed to L37S20B in the UK. (The salesman had the tv in stock and really wanted a sale - he undercut the UK price!)
    Thats good to hear, the 37S20 is a decent set too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭piaget

watty wrote: »
    Something like this:

124740.jpg
    They are from 6 Euro in bargain shops and about 15 Euro in Maplin. Many variations.

You can use extension lead and put it at window. Only use an amplifier near the aerial and if a long extension cable or it's in the Attic/Loft. If no good in room, try loft or upstairs. If still no good put one of these two in loft /attic.

124741.jpg124742.png

Pointy bit points at TV mast, or on grid the box faces mast.

The rods are Horizontal or Vertical angle depending on which RTE mast. Try both orientations if in doubt. The photos all show "Horizontal". The Set-top model swivels in stand. The Yagi (2nd Aerial) is not swivelled in bracket, the entire bracket is mounted to side of pole to make rods vertical. The entire bowtie/Grid (wideband quad array) is mounted as shown for Horizontal (bows are horizontal) and simply the bracket is attached at right angles to the main reflector to attach the entire assembly for vertical polarisation (up and down bows)

If still no good, put the real aerial outdoors.

Amplifiers are really either only to boost signal before splitting signal or about 1.5m away from aerial to drive longer coax cable to cancel cable losses.

A poor quality (or too much gain) amplifier will overload with Tetra or co-channel and cause herring bones on Analogue or breakup on Digital.

Thanks to Watty for recommending the Maplins aerial, getting much more stable picture (only one slight break-up over the last few days).

First time to visit Maplins and its not for the novice, the aerial was'nt marked as UHF at all so I would'nt have been any the wiser had it not been for Watty's help. Also the assistant keep trying to get me to buy a €60 All for One job as its suitable for FreeviewHD. Now I know Freeview HD is equal to MPEG4 for reading threads here but its certainly confusing and misleading for the ordinary joe soap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Freeview HD doesn't need a special aerial. ALL TV actual signals are the same for Aerials and amplifiers.

One For all should stick to Remotes. Or something. Irish law don't let me say more.

I have one of these 32 HD ready Samsung LCD tv's which worked out of the box on a small rooftop Yagi aerial pointed at Three Rock Mountain Co. Dublin.The Specs on Samsung site say it is MHEG, but I now notice that the Digital version of teletext is not present.
    When initially tuning I would have selected Ireland as the country.Is there a country trick to kick start the digital Teletext?Thanks if you are about STB! or others may have an answer.

Ok now, I changed country to United Kingdom, did not work the first time, but now I have it working ok. Programs from RTENL start at 800 now, but thats ok as I have saved the Irish channels to Favourites.
    The Digital Aertel is a big improvement with quicker access to many useful pages.Bye for now.
    This attachment might be useful (equivalent brands of Bush DVB680)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

What is the cheapest LCD TV from 19 to 26" that have MPEG4 DVB-T capabilities? I am looking to buy a flat screen LCD that can be mounted on a wall. Funds are not the greatest so really need to get the cheapest option available. Secondhand would be fine if I could find one!

Any help really appreciated!

Wait then till it has a Saorview sticker so the money is not wasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

When is the Saorview stickers rolling out?

Is there any word of a PVR that will be capable of showing Mpeg4 and freesat?
    That would be deadly.

• Advertisement

Pangea wrote: »
    When is the Saorview stickers rolling out?

Is there any word of a PVR that will be capable of showing Mpeg4 and freesat?
    That would be deadly.

The Saorview branding will probably appear during the soft launch phase with a public awareness campaign.

Regarding a DTT MPEG-4/Freesat combi PVR see this thread.

If you want Freesat, then a HD Sat only receiver that gets Saorsat also, rather than combo might make more sense. We don't know yet.

You might have a dual Sat tuner HD PVR for main TV with Freesat (inc HD) and Saorsat (via 2nd LNBF) and Saorview TVs or Saorview setboxes for other TVs,

Or Sat signals on all the TVs.

It all depends.

Thanks for the reply Watty, is there a timeframe for this? Definitely rolled out by...? Expected early next...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Vargulf

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if this TV will be able to pick up the Irish digital channels when they launch?

It says on Argos that it has:
    Digital video broadcasting (DVB) subtitles available.
    I'm not sure if that means it can or not.

I,ve checked the offical LG website but it just says Freeview which to my knowledge is for the UK.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Vargulf wrote: »
    Hi,

Can anyone tell me if this TV will be able to pick up the Irish digital channels when they launch?

It says on Argos that it has:

I'm not sure if that means it can or not.

I,ve checked the offical LG website but it just says Freeview which to my knowledge is for the UK.

Thanks.

The Argos page says the following
    Please note that the digital and Freeview features of this TV are not available in the Republic of Ireland

Looking at the manual the spec looks very good but the manual is missing an essential piece of information - whether it can decode Mpeg-4, H.264/AVC DTT video (the Irish DTT video compression standard) but also it does not state it can decode MPEG-2 the UK freeview standard (but we know it does).

Mpeg-4, H.264/AVC is there when referrring to USB movie playback but this should not be used as an indication for Irish DTT compatibility.

Looking at the manual the TV has a very up to date specification such as DVB-CI+ (not required for Irish DTT) and Dolby Pulse (Irish DTT audio standards). This would indicate to me that Mpeg-4, H.264/AVC may be there for DTT as it's an older standard than the previous two I mentioned and I couldn't see why it would be ommited.

An e-mail to LG should clarify the situation.

The reference to "Digital video broadcasting (DVB) subtitles available" simply indicates it can display DTT subtitles when broadcast (which are accessed differently from analogue TV) - a feature in all digital TVs.

That LG 42LD450 is fine for Irish DTT. It does have the MPEG4 processor and Level 4 profile for HD broadcasts. The UK websites are rubbish for this info.

The LG "LH" range are all MPEG4 as distinct from the L on its own series which are not.

The MPEG4 processor is the reason a lot of these can be enabled to play the divx files via USB.

Anyone know if this model will be compatible? Cello C1997F

Deedsie wrote: »
    Anyone know if this model will be compatible? Cello C1997F

Best bet is to contact Cello direct via e-mail, not much info on their website. It has the feel of a chain store brand and may not be Irish DTT compatible (DVB-T/MPEG-4).

EDIT: This site says freeview DVB-T/MPEG-2 only - http://www.tribaluk.com/entertainment/televisions/lcd-tv/cello-c1997f-19-lcd-tv/8689

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭micratoyota

If you want Freesat, then a HD Sat only receiver that gets Saorsat also, rather than combo might make more sense. We don't know yet.

You might have a dual Sat tuner HD PVR for main TV with Freesat (inc HD) and Saorsat (via 2nd LNBF) and Saorview TVs or Saorview setboxes for other TVs,

Or Sat signals on all the TVs.

It all depends.

Bought the Sony 32W5810 but when set up as Freesat could not get my Analogue RTE1 2 etc to work through the aerial. Have tuned it in as sat FTA but epg just now and next. Anyway (not too complicated) to get Freesat and the terrestials working, Brilliant TV as no extra set top box needed just plug in the lead from the dish. Cork city resident(centre)

Bought the Sony 32W5810 but when set up as Freesat could not get my Analogue RTE1 2 etc to work through the aerial. Have tuned it in as sat FTA but epg just now and next. Anyway (not too complicated) to get Freesat and the terrestials working, Brilliant TV as no extra set top box needed just plug in the lead from the dish. Cork city resident(centre)

Any setting other than UK turns off freesat menu (and access to the associated 7 day epg) and turns it into DVB-S2 tuner with now/next info on sat. Setting it to UK also disables the VHF tuner!

Choosing Ireland enables the VHF tuner (used for some analogue tx's in Ireland).

Ahhhh country profiles and their restrictions!!!! You should get DTT and Freesat from UK setting and Tv3 off analogue UHF.

Good choice for free Tv with no boxes (unless you want to record)
    The Cush wrote: »
    Looking at the manual the TV has a very up to date specification such as DVB-CI+ (not required for Irish DTT) and Dolby Pulse (Irish DTT audio standards).

! yet.

STB wrote: »
    The Cush wrote: »
    Looking at the manual the TV has a very up to date specification such as DVB-CI+ (not required for Irish DTT) and Dolby Pulse (Irish DTT audio standards).

! yet.

True indeed, but in the current active spec there is no CI requirement.

When Boxer (Teracom) were involved in the Irish process they did publish a pay TV specification but CI+ wasn't around at the time. It is now a mandatory part of their latest receiver specification for Sweden and Denmark. If pay DTT does resurface here again DVB-CI+ will no doubt be part of that spec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

What is the cheapest LCD TV from 19 to 26" that have MPEG4 DVB-T capabilities? I am looking to buy a flat screen LCD that can be mounted on a wall. Funds are not the greatest so really need to get the cheapest option available. Secondhand would be fine if I could find one!

Any help really appreciated!

my daughter bought a 22inch in soundstore with all the specs you are looking for, cannot remember make of it, but it cost her 229.99 this also included a 2 yr guarantee, and she is very happy with it

goat2 wrote: »
    my daughter bought a 22inch in soundstore with all the specs you are looking for, cannot remember make of it, but it cost her 229.99 this also included a 2 yr guarantee, and she is very happy with it

Any chance you could try find out the make an model goat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Any chance you could try find out the make an model goat?

will ring her later,she is driving long distance at the moment

• Advertisement

Just a head up for all,

I got this TV from Pixmaina, clearly says TNT HD, but believe me its not.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/6050871/art/funai/lt7-m19wb-television-whit.html

The box has Mpeg2 all over it, and when I scanned the channels its found them but as expected only played sound - No picture.

I knew the price was too good to be true.

So I guess even if it says TNT HD it may not, double check your specs elsewhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

Just a head up for all,

I got this TV from Pixmaina, clearly says TNT HD, but believe me its not.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/6050871/art/funai/lt7-m19wb-television-whit.html

The box has Mpeg2 all over it, and when I scanned the channels its found them but as expected only played sound - No picture.

I knew the price was too good to be true.

So I guess even if it says TNT HD it may not, double check your specs elsewhere!

Pixmania got it wrong.

From the manufacturers website:

http://funai.eu/_funai_eu/Products/LCD/pid,60,title,LT7-M19WB.html

Click on "product sheet" and you will see:

Digital Tuner DVB-T / MPEG-4 .........................................+ / –

So, its NOT TNT-HD.

Send it back for a refund as it was mis advertised

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

mullingar wrote: »

You do not need a reason to send it back, there is an EU cooling off period for internet purchases. Just send it back in its original packages for a refund.

It does not claim PAL-I, which we use, and does not claim MPEG4 or even MPEG2, just NICAM, A2. Very poor information presentation.

Send it back.

mullingar wrote: »
    Pixmania got it wrong.

From the manufacturers website:

http://funai.eu/_funai_eu/Products/LCD/pid,60,title,LT7-M19WB.html

Click on "product sheet" and you will see:

So, its NOT TNT-HD.

You do not need a reason to send it back, there is an EU cooling off period for internet purchases. Just send it back in its original packages for a refund.

It does not claim PAL-I, which we use, and does not claim MPEG4 or even MPEG2, just NICAM, A2. Very poor information presentation.

Send it back.

Am I entitled to claim back the postage costs? Most likely will cost me around €30 - €50.

Sale of goods Act.

Its their mistake. And it needs to be corrected on their website. Idiots.

This is the one in 19" that is MPEG4.
    http://funai.eu/_funai_eu/Products/LCD/pid,81,title,LH850-M19-NEW-.html

Pixmania dont sell it though.

The only other 19 inch Tv I could find on pixmania that is mpeg4 is 2 Toshibas.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/5301301/art/toshiba/19av734f-lcd-television-w.html €201

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/5015255/art/toshiba/19av733f-lcd-television-b.html €189

Both are within 50 of the original product.

Tell them you will take one of those instead at no extra cost to yourself for their messing.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/5015255/art/toshiba/19av733f-lcd-television-b.html

Is that about the cheapest tv that will be compatible with SoarView?

Wait till TVs have Saorview stickers. Otherwise you are guessing!

Or else buy a decent 1920 x1080 native pixel TV with a bunch of HDMI sockets and assume you buy a Set-box-PVR later. So a HDTV compatible "monitor" like HiFi Separates.

Wait till TVs have Saorview stickers. Otherwise you are guessing!

Or else buy a decent 1920 x1080 native pixel TV with a bunch of HDMI sockets and assume you buy a Set-box-PVR later. So a HDTV compatible "monitor" like HiFi Separates.

Do you think they will be out by Christmas Watty? I am bursting to buy a new tv.

You can buy a decent new TV and then later a Saorview or Saorsat PVR(recording) setbox :) Wait at least till middle of December to see what happens.

I personally look forward to HD Satellite PVR Setbox for Freesat + Saorsat as I have Satellite Distribution & that will be cheaper than a four tuner Saorview/Freesat PVR combo, which might not ever 100% exist other than a kludged solution.

• Advertisement

Now ebayed and got a used Bush DVB680 for use in Ireland and abroad.Yes it is 12V and has the T8300 sticker on the base indicating its original manufacturer.On a small indoor aerial (yagi) it is bringing in the Three Rock RTENL MUX despite the foil insulation in the walls.Analogue is almost non-existent in same location, unless the aerial is hung out the window.

So thanks for the steer STB as it is for motorhome and boat use that it will be most useful because of the 12V aspect.
    I'll give it a whirl in the Courtown area soon and report back as to the HDTV aspects from Preseley etc.

Advertisement