Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV's with MPEG4 DTT decoder

1303132333436»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭winston_1

moggy68 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I suppose it won't matter until next October when analogue is switched off and I can always add a set top box (or upgrade to satellite!) if it doesn't work but just wondered if any of you "in the know" could give me a definitive answer?

Moggy

You've got a definative answer from someone "in the know", the manufacturer LG, and the answer was "No". Don't you trust them?

The salesman you asked is only interesred in his commision and probably hopes you won't notice the problems.

MPEG 4 does NOT mean Saorview compatibility. If it is a UK set which happens to have an MPEG 4 decoder those problems are likely to be:

Channels placed in the 800's.
    Clock permanently stuck on GMT (you won't notice this until next April)
    No EBU teletext (a current requirement on the majority of channels)
    No VHF tuning on Saorview (not required at the moment but not discounted for the future)
    Possible EPG problems.

If it is a European set it probably won't have MHEG 5 but will have EBU teletext.

You are spending a lot on a large screen TV, why not get a compatible one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

have an lg pq6000 which was bought early 2010, didn't check any compatability at the time but picks up saorview channels & has mheg text, ireland is listed as a country choice. This tv is not listed on saorview website as being compatible so my point is the tv u mention may tick all the boxes anyway, maybe u could call into a shop & check if they have one on display & see it working (or not).
    Btw channels are not listed in 800's etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭championc

All it needs to do is fail any one item from the original spec and it then won't make the list. Compatibility is a black and white issue in terms of being able to claim it's 100% certified. We all know that Manufacturers will be making sets for the UK market but these then work perfectly for us but the manufacturer, since they have no intention of selling it for this other alternative purpose, may not even submit it for certification.

Take the Panasonic G20B - never intended for these shores but it's a brilliant piece of kit and does everything (and more) that I could have ever asked of it. But Panny will not stand over it one bit if you say you are in the Republic.

When it comes to TV's and electronics companies, they have, for years and year, made UK specific models. So the UK never know anything about what's going on in the rest of the world with regards to TV and anything else for that matter !!! So you are best tontacting an Irish Distributor or else someone somewhere in Europe I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 moggy68

Thanks for the replies guys!

It's not that I dont trust them Winston_1, it's the fact that so many people on forums like these say they can receive Saorview on "non-compatible" sets, which is what the salesman was probably basing his answer on.
    Also, how up to date is the list of compatible products on Saorview.ie - not very I'll wager...

I can't find any mention of MHEG 5 online so I guess Bodonnell is right, try one in a shop!

I'm very tempted to buy it anyway as the nearest full HD model which is compatible (well, should be as DSG are selling them!) is the PW450 and the only other difference I can see is that one is 3D (which I'm not bothered about)

The thing is TV is €200 more (€800 now) so would it not make sense to just add a Saorview set top box (or sky) as and when required if the inbuilt tuner doesn't work or am I getting this all wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Thanks for the replies guys!

It's not that I dont trust them Winston_1, it's the fact that so many people on forums like these say they can receive Saorview on "non-compatible" sets, which is what the salesman was probably basing his answer on.
    Also, how up to date is the list of compatible products on Saorview.ie - not very I'll wager...

I can't find any mention of MHEG 5 online so I guess Bodonnell is right, try one in a shop!

I'm very tempted to buy it anyway as the nearest full HD model which is compatible (well, should be as DSG are selling them!) is the PW450 and the only other difference I can see is that one is 3D (which I'm not bothered about)

The thing is TV is €200 more (€800 now) so would it not make sense to just add a Saorview set top box (or sky) as and when required if the inbuilt tuner doesn't work or am I getting this all wrong?

As it turns out the TV is fine for Saorview. Infact it is a Freeview HD level profile TV. Yes it has MHEG5 middleware as a result of its Freeview HD profile.

What LG are saying is that it isnt Saorview approved. There are plenty of TVs that arent Saorview approved that are compatible. LG are being overhelpful or overprotective.

In short, it will work. You do not need to add a Saorview box with this TV. The integrated tuner will work perfectly.

Hi guys,

I was looking to buy a 50" plasma and found the LG PV350T for €600 from Vmaxx.ie so I checked with them if it was compatible with Saorview and they said yes, as it has MPEG4 it should be fine but LG sent me this reply to the same question;

"The 50PV350T has a MPEG4 tuner but is unfortunately not compatible with Saorview.

Had a look on the saorview.ie website for compatibility and it is not listed.

I hope this has been of some assistance to you .

Please do not hesitate in contacting us again should you require any further advice.

Best Regards,

LG Electronics UK Helpdesk"

I read somewhere that tv's with MPEG4 and DVB-T are Saorview compatible so what makes them "not"? There are no differences in the model no's for Ireland/UK so how do you tell them apart?

I suppose it won't matter until next October when analogue is switched off and I can always add a set top box (or upgrade to satellite!) if it doesn't work but just wondered if any of you "in the know" could give me a definitive answer?

Also, anyone have any comments on the TV? Looks good on paper but anyone actually got one?

Cheers

Moggy

Was in Harvey Norman (Limerick) this am thay have this set for 599e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 moggy68

bodonnell wrote: »
    Was in Harvey Norman (Limerick) this am thay have this set for 599e

No, it was Vmaxx in Cork. According to HN site they only stock 5 plasmas - all Panny's - do some stores have different/more stock?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

STB wrote: »
    As it turns out the TV is fine for Saorview. Infact it is a Freeview HD level profile TV. Yes it has MHEG5 middleware as a result of its Freeview HD profile.

What LG are saying is that it isnt Saorview approved. There are plenty of TVs that arent Saorview approved that are compatible. LG are being overhelpful or overprotective.

In short, it will work. You do not need to add a Saorview box with this TV. The integrated tuner will work perfectly.

The problem with these sets centres round the difference between the UK standard and Saorview - that summertime and the LCNs in the 800s. If they have Country=Ireland this will not cause any problem. Therefore, check the installation menu for country setting.

The problem with these sets centres round the difference between the UK standard and Saorview - that summertime and the LCNs in the 800s. If they have Country=Ireland this will not cause any problem. Therefore, check the installation menu for country setting.

This seems to be a constant argument but from what I have seen from other postings (and with my own Panny), the station numbers on Terrestrial Channels can all be changed. So I set mind from 001 thru 008. It's only Freesat channels that cannot be renumbered.

However, I'm sure that initially numbering the channels in the 800's would make it officially non-compliant.

C

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

championc wrote: »
    This seems to be a constant argument but from what I have seen from other postings (and with my own Panny), the station numbers on Terrestrial Channels can all be changed. So I set mind from 001 thru 008. It's only Freesat channels that cannot be renumbered.

However, I'm sure that initially numbering the channels in the 800's would make it officially non-compliant.

C

I think it depends on whether the TV has a country code. My TV is an LG one that has Freeview HD, and does not have a country code. It does allow the channel numbers to be set ignoring LCNs, but it does not allow summertime, so during the summer (if we have one) the times on the EPG are all GMT. PITA. However, if I should ever get a signal from Wales or Divis, I may get HD (some chance).

• Advertisement

I'd use the EPG quite a lot and thankfully it's perfect. The big surprise to many people would be the fact that I have a Panny !!!

I have a G20B so I have FreeviewHD and FreesatHD. Maybe come 25 Oct 2012 I'll get something on Freeview from Divis. I think it was only for Freesat that I entered a Country code and I selected the UK with a London postcode (to get the London BBC and ITV HD channels)

No, it was Vmaxx in Cork. According to HN site they only stock 5 plasmas - all Panny's - do some stores have different/more stock?

This was definitely on display in HN limerick yesterday, 50'' & 42'', think they had discontinued stickers on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 XUnknownX

Hi em just had a look on currys.ie and i found this nice television for my bedroom. LG 22 inch LED display but it says it has " Tuner : Irish digital.. but the others say Saorview approved??! is irish digital like the same? or is what something else i'm not sure ?all i want is to bring home my tv put my Ariel in and tune it in and have my Soarview channels thanks x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭winston_1

Don't put Ariel in it, that's washing powder (the capital letter gives it away as well as the spelling). Try an aerial.

Saorview approved means just that, it will work now and in the foreseeable future.

I guess this set is a UK set with an MPEG 4 decoder. It will also have MHEG 5 but i doubt if it will have DVB teletext which is required for some stations for the time being.
    Yes it will get pictures but will probably put the channels in the 800's and the clock will be stuck on GMT all year round.

See it working and check these things first. Is Ireland included in the country settings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

XUnknownX wrote: »
    Hi em just had a look on currys.ie and i found this nice television for my bedroom. LG 22 inch LED display but it says it has " Tuner : Irish digital.. but the others say Saorview approved??! is irish digital like the same? or is what something else i'm not sure ?all i want is to bring home my tv put my Ariel in and tune it in and have my Soarview channels thanks x

Post the full model no., someone here on the boards may have the model and will be able to confirm how it works with Saorview.

My brother purchased a non-approved LG TV last year in Curry's and everything works perfectly with Saorview.

should i like not get it then because i just want to plug it in and know it will work forever?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

should i like not get it then because i just want to plug it in and know it will work forever?

The decision to buy or not to buy is up to you, it's your money. If you can, check it out in store before you decide. As it's described a monitor and if you plan to wall mount it check to see if this is possible (not all are).

I'm using a 4 yr old non Saorview approved TV without a problem (except for no digital text but that's not a problem as it's used in a bedroom).

i dont want to buy a set top box i want to plug and play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Then only buy a Saorview certified model. Plenty of good certified LG sets
    All products
    http://www.saorview.ie/products-retailers/saorview-approved-product-listings/

LG
    http://www.saorview.ie/product/lg/

In France now TVs sold *MUST* meet the spec. Why do we not have such a law?

i have a budget of € 200 anyone have any experience wiv digihome?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

i have a budget of € 200 anyone have any experience wiv digihome?

yup, dey is radical sets bruv*

*Reply may contain outrageous factual inacccuracies

so i should opt for it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 The Great Gonzo

It’s up to you to decide to opt for it or not.
    According to the Saorview site the only Digihome set which is Saorview approved is the LED19914H D.
    It’s a 19 inch TV.
    Because it is Saorview approved you should get all the Saorview channels and text and what ever future Saorview services arrive in future.
    But, as I havnt any experience of Digihome sets, so I would advise you to,
    Look for a review of the set on the WEB
    Ask to see the set working in the shop with Saorview stations on it (I think Power City may have it or Currys)
    Check the picture and sound quality and see how easy it is to tune in/ use the menus etc.

It’s on Currys site for €179 and even though it is cheap it could be fine.
    Some people assume you have to spend a fortune on a TV, I got a cheap Philips set about 15 years ago and it is still working and I know people who spent loads on sets and only got a year or two out of them.

So if you are happy with the set and get a warranty then go for it…if you have any doubts then don’t bother.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

If he hasn't decided by now, I'd doubt he ever will . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Donegal_TDI

The absolute steal at the moment on the Saorview front is a little telly I bought for my caravan, a BlueDiamond BD22LEDVD. I have it all hooked up to a steerable antenna and a roof mounted satellite dome. It has 2 hdmi's, built in DVD player, built in PVR which records to a usb stick from the EPG, I have installed a 32Gb one, it all works flawlessly, MHEG5 compatible teletext, runs on 12v or mains and costs a little over 200 yoyo's. When you think of all the overpriced crap out there, and compare it to what this little telly offers, I am truly amazed at what I've managed to get my hands on for the price. I can even playback films stored on my laptop(my own downsized all legal) through one of those hdmi's and it will output dolby through a digital coax out to a surround amp(runs on 19v dc). I have a mobile cinema on my hands. Display panel is very good for the price. Avtex my toe, overpriced and doesn't have the spec this thing has, Spread the word. An Irish guy is behind importing these from Turkey, where they are manufactured using Mitsubishi tech.

Available exclusively from Osmosis Ireland, phone 01 813 5580 for local distributor or e-mail av@osmosis.ie

No I don't own the company or personally know anyone in it :)

I'm taking my caravan to Birmingham and London next week and I will let you know how it copes with UK HD terrestrial. It certainly has NO issues with Saorview that I can find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭20/20

Where exactly did you buy the telly? Osmosis are trade only. Was told to call D.I.D.
    200 yoyos do you mean ££?
    What have you satellite dome for?

I bought it from www.irwin-expertelectrical.ie
    As I said in the previous post Osmosis are importers,
    they will tell you where to buy it.
    If I can recall, I paid around €260 (yoyos).
    The satellite dome is like half a ball that sits on a caravan or motorhome roof that contains within it a fully motorised satellite dish that can be pointed at whatever satellite you want.
    It is inside the dome to keep it away from the elements
    and the wind as you travel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

I'm taking my caravan to Birmingham and London next week and I will let you know how it copes with UK HD terrestrial. It certainly has NO issues with Saorview that I can find.

It's only listed with a DVB-T tuner, not DVB-T2, so it won't receive Freeview HD. It's Saorview approved & listed as such on the Saorview site, so shouldn't have any issues on that front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭reslfj

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    It's only listed with a DVB-T tuner, not DVB-T2, so it won't receive Freeview HD. It's Saorview approved & listed as such on the Saorview site, so shouldn't have any issues on that front.

Unless you are in Birmingham or London where the 'Saorview front' is a little far away - or maybe more important are in NI and will like to recieve the NI-Minimux* from Black Mountain (RTÉ TG4).

Lars :)

* From October 24.

• Advertisement

The proof of the pudding....etc

If I arrive home in the old sod intact,
    I will let you know how it performed when I get back.

If it won't do DVB-T2 Freeview HD,
    I have a 12v Sagemcom freesat pvr unit fitted
    so I should still get the Olympics in glorious HD.
    Never go into anything with only one plan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭micratoyota

winston_1 wrote: »
    Don't put Ariel in it, that's washing powder (the capital letter gives it away as well as the spelling). Try an aerial.

Saorview approved means just that, it will work now and in the foreseeable future.

I guess this set is a UK set with an MPEG 4 decoder. It will also have MHEG 5 but i doubt if it will have DVB teletext which is required for some stations for the time being.
    Yes it will get pictures but will probably put the channels in the 800's and the clock will be stuck on GMT all year round.

See it working and check these things first. Is Ireland included in the country settings?
    Hi Have Samsung 32Le B450 which I purchased about 2 years ago . I have got the digital channels bbut the EPG is stuck on GMT which is very confusing, but I have moved the 800's to 1,2 etc. What am i missing as I don't know much about 5mhg or anything I don't have 24Oct 2012 on my telivision so i presume I won't have to get a set box for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭swoofer

you should email samsung support and they may tell you how to access a services menu to change clock setiings and ask about channels as well. you are watching saorview so no you wont need a new box.

Advertisement