Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV's with MPEG4 DTT decoder

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Doesn't seem like there are any small TV with DTT MPEG 4 decoder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭20/20

Thanks STB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

BostonB wrote: »
    Doesn't seem like there are any small TV with DTT MPEG 4 decoder?
    well the samsung i referred to is a 19" which is small...

Has anyone tried it though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Keith186

byte wrote: »
    Your W5500 is MPEG-4, so it suitable for Irish DTT tests.

Well I know that model number is but what about the rest of my thread you did not quote?
    Model number with U at the end is UK version Mpeg 2. The box had a U on it but not at the end of the model number but the sticker on the tv with the serial number doesn't have a U on it so I'm not 100% sure.

Edit:

STB, do rabbit ears work as an indoor aeriel. Haven't got to check yet as we don't have any on the house.

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    Has anyone tried it though?

The LE19B450 is a Samsung Series 4 LCD. It states that it is compatible with TNT HD and also refers to DVB-T mpeg2/4 in the manual.

I was just wondering if there were any other models. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

The LE19B450 is a Samsung Series 4 LCD. It states that it is compatible with TNT HD and also refers to DVB-T mpeg2/4 in the manual.

I was just wondering if there were any other models. Thanks.

Sony have the smallest - XEL-1 - 11" OLED TV (Its about 4 grand)

Others
    SAMSUNG LE-19B541
    SAMSUNG LE-19B450

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭micratoyota

Keith186 wrote: »
    Well I know that model number is but what about the rest of my thread you did not quote?

Edit:

STB, do rabbit ears work as an indoor aeriel. Haven't got to check yet as we don't have any on the house.

I would also like to know if LCD TV's can be worked from rabbits ears. I have a 14"portable (reception changable) in the bedroom and would like to replace it, but don't have any connection in the bedroom. My aerial is already split in two downstairs between the front and back rooms.

I would also like to know if LCD TV's can be worked from rabbits ears. I have a 14"portable (reception changable) in the bedroom and would like to replace it, but don't have any connection in the bedroom. My aerial is already split in two downstairs between the front and back rooms.

Depends on location. In Dublin with line of sight and no buildings in the way you will get away with a small indoor aerial. If the signal is weak you could also amplify the signal. Ideally the indoor aerial should be sitting on a window cill.

I'm on the northside of dublin and use an indoor aerial amplified by a Philex SLX1 and get 90-92% on a technomate 6900/clarketech 5000c.

STB wrote: »
    Depends on location. In Dublin with line of sight and no buildings in the way you will get away with a small indoor aerial. If the signal is weak you could also amplify the signal. Ideally the indoor aerial should be sitting on a window cill.

I'm on the northside of dublin and use an indoor aerial amplified by a Philex SLX1 and get 90-92% on a technomate 6900/clarketech 5000c.

I'm on the northside of Cork City CENTRE House is facing north and the signal is coming from Collins Barrcks slightly to the right but hidden by blocks of apartments. To sit the aerial on the window it would be facing the wrong direction , it should be facing directly out. Could you tell me what is a technomate 6900/clarketect 5000c Thank you

• Advertisement

I'm on the northside of Cork City CENTRE House is facing north and the signal is coming from Collins Barrcks slightly to the right but hidden by blocks of apartments. To sit the aerial on the window it would be facing the wrong direction , it should be facing directly out. Could you tell me what is a technomate 6900/clarketect 5000c Thank you

You'll need to mess around to see if its receivable at all in the first place. If you are receiving signal that is breaking up with just normal small indoor aerial then you will need a small booster (like the philex slx1). Otherwise you will have to run another feed from your aerial setup.

The technomate 6900 and clarketech 5000c are set top boxes that do both DTT and satelitte reception. Look in the stickies - Combo boxes.

You'll need to mess around to see if its receivable at all in the first place. If you are receiving signal that is breaking up with just normal small indoor aerial then you will need a small booster (like the philex slx1). Otherwise you will have to run another feed from your aerial setup.

The technomate 6900 and clarketech 5000c are set top boxes that do both DTT and satelitte reception. Look in the stickies - Combo boxes.

Thanks will check out stickies for Combo boxes

Picked up the Samsung LE19B450 and have hooked it up with a €2 aerial and a Goodmans Freesat HD receiver so picking up the DTT channels and the freesat ones all perfect.

On the €2 aerial (the one's you get in the 2 euro shop with 2 telescopic aerials coming out) - the slightest move and the reception breaks up - I presume this is a UHF aerial if it is getting me the DTT? I put the aerials both horizontally which seems to work - is this the "DTT from 3rock is Horizontal" thing?

any suggestions for a better indoor aerial (it has to be small as I want to place it on top of bedroom cabinets - the €2 one will possibly work in a complete horizontal position but still have to try it)

thanks.

(By the way - this Samsung 19" is fantastic to look at both on the DTT and the Freesat. I got it for £220 (about €250) in Belfast at the weekend though it is cheaper on Amazon.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭AlanG

Hi, Can anyone confirm if this is ok for Irish digital. Found some specs on line thas say it has Mpeg4 alright.
    I know it's only HD ready but it is now at a good price on both pixmania and directtvs.co.uk (612 euro del to ireland) and I have been looking for a 32-37" plasma.

http://www.directtvs.co.uk/Panasonic_TX-P37X10_37_Inch__Plasma_TV__TX-P37X10B/version.asp

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/2555951/art/panasonic/tx-p37x10-plasma-screen.html

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

AlanG wrote: »
    Hi, Can anyone confirm if this is ok for Irish digital. Found some specs on line thas say it has Mpeg4 alright.
    I know it's only HD ready but it is now at a good price on both pixmania and directtvs.co.uk (612 euro del to ireland) and I have been looking for a 32-37" plasma.

http://www.directtvs.co.uk/Panasonic_TX-P37X10_37_Inch__Plasma_TV__TX-P37X10B/version.asp

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/2555951/art/panasonic/tx-p37x10-plasma-screen.html

It does not say it is mpeg 4 ,try the panasonic site for correct details.
    Also bear in mind it does Not have a VHF tuner like all new pannys.
    Suggest a New Sony bravia which has everything except sat tuner currently discounted at Richer sounds outlets.:D

It does have MPEG4......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Barryo

Also confirmed as working with the RTE trial :-) Just bought one here in Currys Enniskillen after tryin it out in-store. Didn't get chance to check EPG or digital text - will check these when I get the TV home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Barryo wrote: »
    Also confirmed as working with the RTE trial :-) Just bought one here in Currys Enniskillen after tryin it out in-store. Didn't get chance to check EPG or digital text - will check these when I get the TV home

Thats good to hear. Apparently there a fine plasma for the money. I assume now as well that the cheaper PQ3000 series is also mpeg4 compatible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Barryo

Afraid the 3000 isn't MPEG4 - emailed richer sounds about this set and also tried this in Enniskillen today. MPEG2 only it seems, black screen and no sound !

Fair enough. Good luck with your new plasma!:)

Good to see most people buying new tvs from now on will just need their mpeg4 tv and a freesat HDR for the best one can get in subscription free tv:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Fair enough. Good luck with your new plasma!:)

Good to see most people buying new tvs from now on will just need their mpeg4 tv and a freesat HDR for the best one can get in subscription free tv:)

Free TV!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭intro

I have just got this one and there is a TNT HD logo on it (as well as a boxer logo). From what i understand TNT HD is MPEG4 ..not sure about about the boxer. I am on NTL at the moment but am going over to sattelite (hopefully). Will try hooking up an antenna shortly to check. Great plasma for the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

intro wrote: »
    I have just got this one and there is a TNT HD logo on it (as well as a boxer logo). From what i understand TNT HD is MPEG4 ..not sure about about the boxer. I am on NTL at the moment but am going over to sattelite (hopefully). Will try hooking up an antenna shortly to check. Great plasma for the price!

Barryo says its not mpeg4 ,you say it is confusion for other members!!!

Why are you all buying plasmas as the current cosumption is very high,think of global warming!!

Barryo wrote: »
    Afraid the 3000 isn't MPEG4 - emailed richer sounds about this set and also tried this in Enniskillen today. MPEG2 only it seems, black screen and no sound !

Actually i was browsing earlier and i did come across this. It says TNT HD alright.

Barryo, maybe the 3000 series one you saw was a "PG3000" version, last years model. This probably wouldnt have had mpeg4. The 2009 model is "PQ3000"

Definitely try DTT intro. By all accounts, those 2009 3000 series LG plasma's look alright with that 600Hz sub field driver or whatever

@John Dough: That LG quotes 167watt consumption. Thats about the same as my 40" 1080p samsung LCD. They must have made big improvements in this area

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭intro

Just had a quick go at the tv with a set of hand held rabbit's ears (off a portable). Did manage to get the channels on a very bad signal but got picture and sound for short periods. The menu shows the 4 tv stations plus RTENL test as well as 4 radio stations.

In relation to energy consumption there is an"intellegent sensor" which is supposed to vary the consumption depending on the lighting in the room.

Just had a quick go at the tv with a set of hand held rabbit's ears (off a portable). Did manage to get the channels on a very bad signal but got picture and sound for short periods. The menu shows the 4 tv stations plus RTENL test as well as 4 radio stations.

In relation to energy consumption there is an"intellegent sensor" which is supposed to vary the consumption depending on the lighting in the room.

Its definitely DTT compatible anyway which is good to hear:)

Looks like now that LGs entire 2009 range or TVs, both plasma and LCD are mpeg4 DTT compatible

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Really? That's interesting. The same rule applies to Samsung too it seems with their new 2009 "B" range.

It's an awful shame that Sony didn't see fit to do the same across the range. Their new S-series, a lower end model, only has MPEG2. I would doubt that the cost of an MPEG4 chip over an MPEG2 chip would be much different at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

FWIW, my dad just bought an LG 37-LF7700 from Richersounds in Belfast - UHF, VHF, MPEG4 & Freesat tuners. £699.

Mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Mark#1 wrote: »
    FWIW, my dad just bought an LG 37-LF7700 from Richersounds in Belfast - UHF, VHF, MPEG4 & Freesat tuners. £699.

Mark
    Very good. Do 42" have the same features?

• Advertisement

Any recommendations for a 42" LCD which is MPEG4, Freesat, Full HD, and refresh rate of 100htz.

byte wrote: »
    Really? That's interesting. The same rule applies to Samsung too it seems with their new 2009 "B" range.

I am now the proud owner of the 19" Samsung B series (LE19B450) and the Philips 32" (32PFL5604H) both providing the RTE digital services perfectly.

Have to say that the Philips offer to boardsies (in the commercial interaction thread) is a great offer. (€499)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055549229

(no affiliation with philips or richer sounds - ended up getting the tv from DID electrical as Philips shop didnt have it in stock..)

How is that 19" Samsung for scaling SD of the DTT.

RTE1 and RTE2 fit the screen perfectly. As far as I recall TV3 was also ok but I do remember TG4 only showing in 4:3 and I could not get it to go widescreen. Must check again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭moonboy52

I am now the proud owner of the philips 32" (32PFL5604H) both providing the RTE digital services perfectly.

What is your impression of the philips?

do you know if it supports 1080p / 24fps?
    What are the black levels like?

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

200motels wrote: »
    Very good. Do 42" have the same features?

Can't find solid info, but presumably yes? I'm sure a call or email to RS in Belfast would confirm.

Mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Finne1993

Would anyone be able to clarify if this tv is mpeg4 compatible:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LE26B450C4-720p-Ready-Freeview/dp/B001UE8LUQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1243176600&sr=8-1

according to some sites its mpeg4 HD compatable and looks a fine tv and a good price too, i would definitely buy it if the Irish DTT service was available on it

200motels wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a 42" LCD which is MPEG4, Freesat, Full HD, and refresh rate of 100htz.

The LG 42lf7700 ticks all those boxes.

The LG 42lf7700 ticks all those boxes.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Finne1993

cheers STB, seems to be great value that, i saw the 32" but unfortunately where the new tv is going i only have space for the 26". Would you or anyone else know if these are the cheapest MPEG4 TV's of this size or has anyone any other recommendations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Your could have a look around pixmania for a "TNT HD" model. http://www.pixmania.com/fr/fr/1234189/art/samsung/televiseur-lcd-le26a466.html

But with a 26" TV you won't have the benefit of Full HD but only 720p whereas you can get Full HD with some 32" sets....unless there's 26" model out there that is full HD that I'm not aware of!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

I am now the proud owner of the 19" Samsung B series (LE19B450) and the Philips 32" (32PFL5604H) both providing the RTE digital services perfectly.

Have to say that the Philips offer to boardsies (in the commercial interaction thread) is a great offer. (€499)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055549229

(no affiliation with philips or richer sounds - ended up getting the tv from DID electrical as Philips shop didnt have it in stock..)

But what did it cost you the 32" Saw philips shop were selling it to a boardie for €540 as Harvey was doing it for €585

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Have a Samsung LE37B550 which works with DTT.

PQ is better direct via aerial, than via scart from my dtt humax test box (that's slightly irrelevant I guess)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

A buddy brought over a Samsung LE32R74BDR from the UK.
    Any good for MPEG 4??
    Why don't manufacturer's display this online,or am I missing it somewhere?
    TIA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭maxg

All the new samsung B series (LE__B___) for the model year 2009 are supporting mpeg4.
    The LE32R74BDR lcd is too old and doesn't support mepg4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

thanks max for the prompt reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭radiospan

Anyone here using a Samsung PS42A466 ?

The manual says it works with MPEG2. No mention of MPEG4 in the manual, but it's been working fine for me?

Anyway, there's a problem where the audio and video is out of sync for a while after changing channels with DTT. Has anyone else seen this?

It fixes itself after a few minutes (video freezes until audio catches up)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭maxg

It looks like you got the french samsung plasma model which is supporting mpeg4.
    You could try a firmware update if you don't got the latest one with your TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

maxg wrote: »
    All the new samsung B series (LE__B___) for the model year 2009 are supporting mpeg4.
    The LE32R74BDR lcd is too old and doesn't support mepg4.

They can also have MKV/DivX/Xvid enabled if already not supported. This is really handy as you can use the USB connection.

Doe's this Sony KDL40S5500 - New Full HD 1080p BRAVIA LCD TV have MPEG 4 compatibility?

• Advertisement
Advertisement