Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost baggage with Ryanair, how to proceed?

Options
  • 17-11-2008 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've been trying since the end of September when one of my bags never came off the carosel in Dublin to get compensation for it from Ryanair.

Initially the night it happened I filled in the report there and then. A couple of weeks later I was contacted by mail from their baggage tracing dept in Stanstead to send the same information to them.

I was then contacted by post the last week of October by letter stating my bag could not be found and to fill in the claim form attached and fax/post within 21 days which I did. Each time I was asked for and provided copies of receipts for the items in the bag.

To date I haven't had any reply so last week I decided to call the only number I had which is that of their baggage enquiries office in Dublin (the number was on the top of the form I filled out there the night the bag went missing).

I was put on hold while the girl checked my reference number, she then came back on and said a cheque had been posted the previous day. Result!

Unfortunately not, to date no cheque or any other corresspondence has been recieved.

So I called again this morning, lucky this time as get someone on only the third attempt! (last week took two days). Same deal, put on hold while she checks, comes back on and says there's no update on that, but her colleague will be in in 10 min and she'll call back.

So after two hours waiting I call back, and same answer, this time with the suggestion that I post the receipts and claim form to the PO address. I then ask what has happened to the cheque I was told had been posted, this question is ignored 3 times and each time I'm told to post or fax the report. I ask what is the point of that?, I've already supplied the information on 3 seperate occasions. I'm then told I might have got the fax number wrong. After reassuring her I've operated a fax before and can read numbers, and also that I kept a copy of the transmitted report with a successful outcome, I was told I have to be patient.
    Again I asked why was I told a cheque has been posted, explained quite clearly it was her office I had called, and if the person last week had this information then surely she would have it.

Again was told be patient and I'll get a call back at the end of the day. Don't know what the believe anymore.

So what are my options? Small claims, solicitors letter? Is there any agency that looks into things like this and can actually get something done?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

small claims court is best course of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Scottie99

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You could have a look at the Aviation Regulator's website, and see if there's anything that can help. They might also be able to give you information on how to proceed, or be able to intercede in the claim process.

Did you have travel insurance on the flight you took? If so, it might be an option to bypass Ruinair and go straight to the insurance, that's if they cover lost baggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

Cheers for the replies lads, got home this evening and was surprised to find a cheque waiting! Ok, it's around €150 less than the cost of the lost items but is still more than I was expecting which was nothing.

The odd thing was the date on the letter was the 11th which is when I was told it was posted, the postal stamp from the sorting office was yesterdays date though? Just seems a bit weird that I called yesterday morning and said the next letter I send them will be from my solicitor and then the cheque arrives a week late with the same date as that of the call I made.

Anyway, not going to question it, just glad I got something back. In answer to your question Jor el yeah I have baggage insurance, but to be honest as my bag was entrusted to Ryan Air and it was their baggage staff that nicked it as a matter of principle I was damned if I wasn't getting some compensation from them directly! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You might still be able to try the insurance for the remaining €150 worth.

• Advertisement

jor el wrote: »
    You might still be able to try the insurance for the remaining €150 worth.

you read my mind, filling in the claim form this morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

DamoKen wrote: »
    Anyway, not going to question it, just glad I got something back. In answer to your question Jor el yeah I have baggage insurance, but to be honest as my bag was entrusted to Ryan Air and it was their baggage staff that nicked it as a matter of principle I was damned if I wasn't getting some compensation from them directly! ;)
    Would have been a lot less stress to just use the insurance - whats the point of the paying for the insurance otherwise?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Well according to RyanAir they don't lose bags, etc:
    See here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055422613

Maybe you can report them instead for false advertising!

axer wrote: »
    Would have been a lot less stress to just use the insurance - whats the point of the paying for the insurance otherwise?

I don't, it's company paid. As I said matter of principle, was forced to check a bag by airport security that I would've prefered to carry on board as it was photography equipment. Not Ryan Airs fault, but was not in the least surprised standing at the carousel at 2am waiting for a bag that never came.

Just gets my back up when you've no option but to trust in the honesty of the baggage crews employed by the same company you're flying with and then get a basic told you so when your belongings are nicked by the same people who are paid to care for it.

If less people had the attitude of "can't be a*sed" hounding a company to live up to it's responsibilites because of the hassle involved, maybe said companies would be more proactive in preventing theft in the first place. Only way any company really takes complaints seriously is when it hits them in the pocket.

I don't, it's company paid. As I said matter of principle, was forced to check a bag by airport security that I would've prefered to carry on board as it was photography equipment. Not Ryan Airs fault, but was not in the least surprised standing at the carousel at 2am waiting for a bag that never came.
    Pretty bad to lose photography equipment. Was it tripods or something the security had a problem with?
    Just gets my back up when you've no option but to trust in the honesty of the baggage crews employed by the same company you're flying with and then get a basic told you so when your belongings are nicked by the same people who are paid to care for it.
    The problem is that Ryanair don't employ the baggage crews. They are usually Servisair which is the company contracted by Ryanair at most (if not all) airports.
    If less people had the attitude of "can't be a*sed" hounding a company to live up to it's responsibilites because of the hassle involved, maybe said companies would be more proactive in preventing theft in the first place. Only way any company really takes complaints seriously is when it hits them in the pocket.
    I agree with you on that point when there was something valuable in the bag like your photography equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Hmmmm Security and baggage have certainally begun taking a lot more interest in my gear too... :-/

Tbh, I'll do anything not to let mine into the hold.

and the security is just a load of crap anyway. The last time travelling between dublin and germany (about 2 weeks ago) I inadvertently brought about 10 razor blades through security without being stopped. By razor blades I mean the old school type.

Pretty bad to lose photography equipment. Was it tripods or something the security had a problem with?

yep brand new (well used once) Manfrotto tripod plus Manfrotto bag. Asked me to take it out of the bag at security, he then held it up, shouted something to the girl at the next line, she looked over (for at most one second, don't think she even knew what it was, he didn't and he was holding the damn thing) turned away and said no. There were people walking through with all types of crap and I was the only one sent back :(
    The problem is that Ryanair don't employ the baggage crews. They are usually Servisair which is the company contracted by Ryanair at most (if not all) airports.
    The baggage crew were Ryan Air employed the Italian end, that's why I called everyday until they gave in ;)

Advertisement