Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Eircom customers please let me know

Options
  • 17-11-2008 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭

if they are getting solid speeds. I'm onBT and like most people here have been experiencing dial up like speeds on the new 7Mb package.

How is Eircom performance these days? I am seriously thinking of breaking my promise and going back.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭steamjetjoe

7mb package myself with eircom.good days i get d/l speeds of 5200kbps and bad days 1500kbps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Valentia wrote: »
    if they are getting solid speeds. I'm onBT and like most people here have been experiencing dial up like speeds on the new 7Mb package.

How is Eircom performance these days? I am seriously thinking of breaking my promise and going back.

Absolutely awful on Friday, worse on Saturday, but better yesterday (i.e. it was a little over 3mb). In Trim as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    Absolutely awful on Friday, worse on Saturday, but better yesterday (i.e. it was a little over 3mb). In Trim as well.

That's interesting. That is my experience too. Not great speeds today but way better than the weekend. Well it seems that it doesn't matter who the provider is if we both had the same issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I am in Greystones, Co. Wicklow and get a regular 2.7 MB on my 3Meg Eircom connection. Haven't seen it any slower when I check

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Im in kildare. Have a 3mb eircom line and its 100% consistent download speeds of 300k. Never once drops.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

It's always max speed for me as far as I know. It's probably exchange/fibre dependent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭mossie

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    I am in Greystones, Co. Wicklow and get a regular 2.7 MB on my 3Meg Eircom connection. Haven't seen it any slower when I check

I'm in Cork on 3 meg but never get over 1.6 or 1.7 meg. I used to be with imagine on 2 meg and never got less than 1.8.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm on 3Mb with eircom. It used to be great but it has gone to shít recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,489 ✭✭✭Damien360

I'm on 3Mb with eircom. It used to be great but it has gone to shít recently.

+1

My 3Mb was good up to the last month. Typical download 1.2Mb and upload 200k for a 3Mb/300k line close to the exchange at the moment. Ping times always over 500ms. Emailed support with no answer. I was thinking of jumping ship to another. Considering UPC (a broken promise for me as they broke my heart with TV before Sky came along).

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭BROWNE51

Very pleased here in clane,was on 4 meg biz line till I "downgraded" to 7.6 meg line,upload is 60k consistant,download 690k ,,,,,,very happy here No downtime at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

My service was sh1t up till yesterday.Downgraded to 7.6 meg on the 29 October and for the last 2 weeks getting speeds of between 1 and 2mb.

Had an engineer out yesterday and he "apparently" found a fault on the line near my house which I think is bull****,He repaired the fault and last night I was synching at 6144/384.

Hes turned it back up to the full 7 meg package today and its now synching at 7153/384 which seems to be rock stable.

Pings are great @ 29ms to boards and 35-40 to jolt uk.

Torrents are coming down at 650+ kbps.And a file from heatnet downloaded at 710 kbps.

My advice is to ring them everytime you get a slowdown and report the fault even if it means a couple of calls a day.Then make an official complaint about the service and you`ll get sorted.Its taken me 2 weeks but fingers crossed it keeps up working like it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

In fairview with the 3mb package, pretty stable so far with download speeds of just over 300kb/s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

My 7mb line is fine, mostly get download speeds of 600kbps, at the worst it might be 250 or 300.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

On the 3Mb package with Eircom, for the last month . First time with DSL, and it seems to be all over the place from day to day. initially when I got it every time I checked it was at 3000Kb ,but over the last 2 weeks it has been all over the place, usually around 1.4/1.6Mb but I have seen it go down to 160Kb. I would be happy enough if it was stable at 2Mb as this is a damm sight better than vodafone or Three. I did not know if this was normal and was waiting a while to complain in case they disconnected me, i do not want to go back to the 90's with dial up.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I did not know if this was normal and was waiting a while to complain in case they disconnected me, i do not want to go back to the 90's with dial up.

Why would they disconnect you for complaining??Do what I did complain,complain,complain and then complain some more.

In all fairness to eircom their customer service used to be excellent with regards to sorting out problems but theyve just gotten useless lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Hellrazer wrote: »
    My service was sh1t up till yesterday.Downgraded to 7.6 meg on the 29 October and for the last 2 weeks getting speeds of between 1 and 2mb.

Had an engineer out yesterday and he "apparently" found a fault on the line near my house which I think is bull****,He repaired the fault and last night I was synching at 6144/384.

Hes turned it back up to the full 7 meg package today and its now synching at 7153/384 which seems to be rock stable.

Pings are great @ 29ms to boards and 35-40 to jolt uk.

Torrents are coming down at 650+ kbps.And a file from heatnet downloaded at 710 kbps.

My advice is to ring them everytime you get a slowdown and report the fault even if it means a couple of calls a day.Then make an official complaint about the service and you`ll get sorted.Its taken me 2 weeks but fingers crossed it keeps up working like it should.

So even though an engineer came out and physically fixed your line, you still think he was bullshitting you about there being a problem on the line? This despite the fact that after he had finished fixing the "imaginary" fault your line was perfect and has remained that way?

I know eircom are bad and all, but credit should be given where due.

Iago wrote: »
    So even though an engineer came out and physically fixed your line, you still think he was bullshitting you about there being a problem on the line? This despite the fact that after he had finished fixing the "imaginary" fault your line was perfect and has remained that way?

I know eircom are bad and all, but credit should be given where due.

Yeah I do believe that he was bull****ting me.2 previous engineers told me my line was capable of 10mb and that there was no fault whatsoever with the line.

One of them told me it was a "known problem that the 7meg upgrades had caused" and that their tech support lines were inundated with complaints about the upgrades.

Its more than just a coincidence that I gave Eircom an ultimatum that if the problem wasnt solved by Monday 17/11/08 then I was signing up to UPC the following day.Suddenly an engineer arrives and says hes fixed a "line problem" and that my broadband should be working fine.

If you ask me they went ahead with these upgrades without testing if the exchanges could take them.

Ive been an eircom customer since 512kb broadband and every "free" upgrade theres been a problem with.From 512-1mb,from 1mb to 2mb,from 2mb to 3 and now 3 to 7.
    And every time theres always been a bull**** excuse as to why the upgrades didnt work.And usually it ends with a "line problem" being sorted.

They cant even be straight with their customers.

Advertisement