Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Oil for Stirfry

• 17-11-2008 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

whats the best oil to use for a stir fry ???? is there any that have good fats etc

just im gonna be cooking a few of these from now on in

so best oil plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I do stir frys at high temp, coconut oil is meant to be good for you and holds up to high temps well. Check here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055238028

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I use sesame oil myself for stir fries, it gives a nice 'chinese' taste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Fatloss08

just after the best one with good fats

not the taste lol

yeah, but I think it has many good properties, loaded with nutrition and holds well at high temperatures. Like everything else if you use it in moderation it will not be bad for you.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/07/26/earlyshow/health/main631719.shtml

menoscemo wrote: »
    yeah, but I think it has many good properties, loaded with nutrition and holds well at high temperatures.[/url]
    I usually hear that sesame is one that does not do well at high temps, lots of chefs would not cook at all with it, but drizzle it on stir frys after cooking, like a dressing. I do still fry with it though.

I love it too, ryvita do a nice sesame cracker too.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    I usually hear that sesame is one that does not do well at high temps, lots of chefs would not cook at all with it, but drizzle it on stir frys after cooking, like a dressing. I do still fry with it though.

I love it too, ryvita do a nice sesame cracker too.

Just a quick google finds this:

http://missvickie.com/howto/spices/oils.html

Made from pressed sesame seeds. Sesame oil comes in two varieties: light (made with untoasted sesames) and dark (made with toasted sesames). Light sesame oil has a nutty flavor and is especially good for frying. Dark sesame oil (Asian) has a stronger flavor and should only be used in small quantities for flavoring foods -- not cooking.

I definately have the light version. For stir fries I think it is great, though I wouldn't fry a steak in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

menoscemo wrote: »
    Just a quick google finds this:

http://missvickie.com/howto/spices/oils.html

Made from pressed sesame seeds. Sesame oil comes in two varieties: light (made with untoasted sesames) and dark (made with toasted sesames). Light sesame oil has a nutty flavor and is especially good for frying. Dark sesame oil (Asian) has a stronger flavor and should only be used in small quantities for flavoring foods -- not cooking.

I definately have the light version. For stir fries I think it is great, though I wouldn't fry a steak in it.

A little further down on that link it says
    Dark sesame oil is ideal for stir-fries

Dark sesame oil is ideal for stir-fries
    Strange, perhaps they mean ideal in stir fries, i.e. drizzled on after like I see many chefs on TV do, not frying with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Some people cook with seasame oil. Some add it at the end. I mix a bit in with curry paste for a good flavour.

Personally I used the Stirfry Oil you can buy. Generally it's a mix of garlic, seasame oil, peanut oil and a bit of olive oil perhaps. Can't remember but it's nice and I think fairly healthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

i find ground nut oil the best

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

My dad owns a chinese eaterie in the city.The stif fry using vegetable oil and drizzle sesame oil at the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭scubasteve

Coconut oil! Yum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Jonny303

Best investment ya could make is a really good wok. Since i got mine im finding im using about 1/4 of a teaspoon of coconut oil to do 3 chicken breasts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

I'm with 1966. Groundnut or peanut oil apparently smokes at a much higher temperature than regular oil so is better suited to the high temperatures you stir fry at. Then again lets not try get too anal about it as I'm sure ordinary veg oil is just fine.

Sesame oil should - apparently - only be used at the very end of the cooking process and in tiny quantities as it is very concentrated.

That's my two cents worth.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I second either coconut oil or groundnut oil, basically anything that doesn't smoke too easily. Heating an oil past smoke point causes it to break down and oxidise, basically becoming a transfat, which is bad news!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Serafijn

On Weightwatchers rapeseed oil is less points than most other types, and seems to be quite good for stir-fries according to google. Might try that myself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭ontour

I use olive oil or sunflower oil are these ok?:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

ontour wrote: »
    I use olive oil or sunflower oil are these ok?:o

I defo wouldn't stir-fry with olive oil. The type of fats present in it are not suitable for high-temperature cooking, it is best reserved for use as an ingredient as opposed to a cooking oil.

I personally use groundnut (i.e. peanut) oil due to its high smoking point. If I found suitable coconut oil though I'd give it a try.

I would similarly not use sesame oil as cooking oil, only as a flavouring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Groundnut oil for stir-fries, definitely. Pure sesame oil would be too strong and overpowering, but a lot of what is sold as sesame oil is actually "sesame flavoured" oil, take a good look at the fine print on the bottle .. the price is a bit of a giveaway too.

Alun wrote: »
    Groundnut oil for stir-fries, definitely. Pure sesame oil would be too strong and overpowering, but a lot of what is sold as sesame oil is actually "sesame flavoured" oil, take a good look at the fine print on the bottle .. the price is a bit of a giveaway too.

Funny how I bought a sesame oil in Lidl last week then (checked the ingredients- 100% sesame oil-). They had a special promotion on Chinese food and I picked up the oil amonst their selection of stir fry vegetables, beansporuts etc. Also most supermarkets sell 'stirfry oil' and if you check the ingredients, sesame oil is always one of the two (or sometimes 3) ingredients.

I always use non toasted (light coloured) seame oil for stir fry's and think it is great. Besides, I have a nut allergy so all nut oils are out. What do you suggest I use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Serafijn wrote: »
    On Weightwatchers rapeseed oil is less points than most other types, and seems to be quite good for stir-fries according to google. Might try that myself :)
    I've heard this too. IMO doesn't add much to a stirfry though, it's very bland :o. And it's more commonly used as Bio-Diesel :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭ontour

:o Ive been using olive oil for the past few weeks, is it really that bad? Ive never come across goundnut or sesame oil what ones should I look out for? which one is better or healthier? :o

ontour wrote: »
    :o Ive been using olive oil for the past few weeks, is it really that bad? Ive never come across goundnut or sesame oil what ones should I look out for? which one is better or healthier? :o

Olive oil is fine if the temperature at which you cook is not too high, basically above a certain temperature the oil burns and loses all its good qualities (basically turns into saturated fat). You can see the link I posted near the top of the thread (post 7) for the 'smoke point' of various oils.

Basically you are better off using plain olive oil, not virgin and especially not extra virgin olive oil for cooking. The more 'virgin' the olive oil is, the lower it's smoke point. Extra virgin olive oil should really only be used for pouring on salads, toast etc. It is also a waste of time spending so much money on a good extra virgin olive oil to destroy it by frying with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Good words of wisdom there from menoscemo.

Advertisement