Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone still playing?

Options
  • 17-11-2008 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

I haven't logged in in a while and my subscription runs out soon.. I'm just wondering if anyone's still playing this game?

I mean the forum looks dead, with the last post two weeks ago, and when I was active it looked like most people didn't bother with the game after the 30-days.

Is everyone back on WoW now that lich king is out? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I'm not playing atm. Bought Lich King, gonna lvl to 80 and then go back to WAR in about a month or so. I still have my sub running.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,343 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

netman wrote: »
    I haven't logged in in a while and my subscription runs out soon.. I'm just wondering if anyone's still playing this game?

I mean the forum looks dead, with the last post two weeks ago, and when I was active it looked like most people didn't bother with the game after the 30-days.

Is everyone back on WoW now that lich king is out? :)

I'm still playing. We always knew a lot of people would disappear to play WotLK, and discussion seems focussed on the larger WAR sites like WHA. Two new classes next week, plus another two in December might see more activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Have not played war may self but it does look dead. I was hoping for it to take a good chunk off WoW. As its not good to just have 1 game that everone will play.

A bit like CS when it first came out in FPS. Took some years before other FPS passed it out. But then again CS did not get the updates which it badly needed. WoW on the other hand have new stuff added to it all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Still Playing - but using other Forums for WAR discussion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭JesterWX

Yep - still playing at the moment. Just renewed my subscription although I fully expect to return to LOTRO in a few days when I get my hands on Mines of Moria. Probably just be one night a week at most for awhile after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

I still play, there are only about 6-10 active players from the Boards guild that was set up.

But the game still seems to have enough players to keep it going. I think it will be another few months before it settles down and communities really start building.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I think a lot of people are in the whole "I want it NOW" mentality of games nowadays. WAR is a great game but needs time to iron out stability/ balance/ gameplay problems, similar to almost (if not all) MMO launches in the past 10 years. But WoW is the proverbial 800 pound gorilla, having spent 4 years polishing and stabilising and now seen as the benchmark for all MMO's to equal on release :rolleyes:

Ive seen sub-forums on these boards go for weeks without more than the odd post or 2, the WoW forum included. Better people are playing the game than sitting here wishing they were ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

I hope they look at consolidating servers or something (though I know that wouldn't be the best for publicity). It's much less enjoyable to play when there are few people around the same area as you. WAR really introduced alot of interesting things, it will force WoW and the others to be better. I'm keeping both subs up, and I'm hoping secretly to be disappointed with wotlk (I really missed the helpful red clouds on the map when questing!).
    A bit like CS when it first came out in FPS. Took some years before other FPS passed it out. But then again CS did not get the updates which it badly needed. WoW on the other hand have new stuff added to it all the time.
    Gamespy shows Counterstrike at like 62k players, the next most popular game is 10k. I think we'd see a similar story with Starcraft, if you think how long ago that's released, and the number of quality games we've seen since then (eg Dawn of War), it's amazing to see how humongously active the community still is. There's a lesson here somewhere, not quite sure what it is! Maybe if you get in first with a quality well supported product, it's really difficult to be beaten later even if competitors appear to be offering more.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,343 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The WAR community is only beginning to consolidate. Over the last two weeks my guild has absorbed two other guilds, so we're gathering a solid core of active people.

Drakar wrote: »
    I hope they look at consolidating servers or something (though I know that wouldn't be the best for publicity). It's much less enjoyable to play when there are few people around the same area as you.

Server transfers should be up and running later this week, heres a copy-paste of the list from [url]www.war-europe.com:[/url]

Core Roleplay Servers
    Players on Makaisson will have the choice to move to Burlock

Open RvR Roleplay Servers
    Players on Ellyrion will have the choice to move to Alarielle

Players on the following Core servers will have the opportunity to transfer to either the Karak Izor or the Karak Norn server:
    Karak Ungor
    Karak-Vlag
    Karaz-a-Karak
    Tor Anroc
    Yvresse
    Zhufbar
    Worlds Edge Mountains

Players on the following Open RvR servers will have the opportunity to move to the Dragonback Mountains server:
    Clar Karond
    Mount Silverspear
    Sea of Dreams
    Tiranoc
    Finuval Plain

Its a good move and hopefully will help in consolidating the playerbase as WAR really requires a good population on both sides for a good game unlike other MMO's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

Game is not dead, everyone forget that it only just came out? WOW will be dead within a matter of a year. WAR will be huge. Sure look at T4 at the moment, filling up over the past 2 weeks.

WAR is far from dead. The forums arent dead, only boards ones are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

I'm still playing although not like I was a few weeks ago, more to do with lack of time than lack of intrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Im still going. 3 characters in the 20s. Figured there would be a drop for a bit but im still seeing a good few people around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Was just on the overclockers warhammer tread. Its 200pages + now so maybe like what people are saying here, boards is dead and you just need to know were to look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

Mantel wrote: »
    I'm still playing although not like I was a few weeks ago, more to do with lack of time than lack of intrest.

Ohh Mantel is playing! Long time no see, it's Link. What server are you rolled on?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 skinner75

I'm playing Chosen on the Worlds Edge Mountains server atm, but plan to move to Karak Izor or the Karak Norn server as soon as the transfer window opens.
    Currently at level 16, in and around Troll Country atm.

I would be interested in joining a guild if there are any here that are running on either Karak Izor or the Karak Norn servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

I am still playing but my subscription runs out Friday, not sure yet if I will keep playing. Open ORvr is amazing in this game but the problem is finding it :)

BTW any one that has given those shower of Muppet's in GOA there credit card details and have cancelled there subscription need to log in and check their accounts. They have set them all to auto renew subscriptions even if they were cancelled.

TBH if I cant find a pre paid game card I don't see myself re-subbing, I don't trust GOA with my details. Allegedly they did the same thing before when they were managing DAOC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Elem wrote: »
    Ohh Mantel is playing! Long time no see, it's Link. What server are you rolled on?

I've been playing mostly order on Karak Eight Peaks with a little destro on the side on Worlds Edge mountains.

I'm finding the T2 senarioes pretty laggy for my level 20 WP so I'm trying a BW atm :) explody things! Yay! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

ttcomet wrote: »
    I am still playing but my subscription runs out Friday, not sure yet if I will keep playing. Open ORvr is amazing in this game but the problem is finding it :)

I'm on the Karak Hirn server and there are no issues finding open rvr here :) spent 3 hours last night defending a keep in T4 from a 2 warband raid of destros! Was the best bit of RVR I had in the game so far.

I have noticed that the servers are after getting a little quieter. Seems that with subscriptons ending and the wow expansion after coming out that has caused a good few people to leave. Id say over the next month it will balance out a bit.

Well the first round of server transfers is supposed to be arriving next week, that should help consolidate the small pockets of combatants into a few big orgies of bloodshed and death.

Plus how is everyone liking the Reikland factory as part of heavy metal. I find its very fast paced and usually over in 5 minutes (though I haven't levelled a character past tier 2 yet so not sure what tier's 3 and 4 scenarios are like).

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The problem I see is not lack of people, its that the servers cant take enough people to make it feel "packed" without lagging out to sh*t.

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

ps: why do you have to choose a server anyway? Can't they distribute this load over a bunch of physical servers, the way websites (like Boards come to think of it) do? I dont see why we cant all be in the same "game" and service the requests by load balancing each region.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭Sarn

Still playing on Karak Azgal here. Would you believe I only did my first scenario yesterday (Reikland factory) and my char is level 28! Getting lows of 0.2 fps tends to make killing difficult, being killed on the other hand...

I'll still be playing into the new year. The questing areas are definitely ghost towns. It's great when you finally stumble across a load of people.

See..... the servers are ghost towns but the lag is high! Its crazy, they should have realised that you dont build a world with content for 20,000 people when the servers crumple at 4k....

Still, I like it more then WOW... :)

DeV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

We had the worst lag ever in game. Order had captured Praag and chaos wastes and we were in the Fortress. You could not do a thing. It was taking over 30 secs for spells to cast unable to move properly. They really need to fix this before more and more servers get to a point of capturing fortresses and cities.

DeVore wrote: »
    why do you have to choose a server anyway? Can't they distribute this load over a bunch of physical servers, the way websites (like Boards come to think of it) do? I dont see why we cant all be in the same "game" and service the requests by load balancing each region.

The only modern game that seems to do this is EvE, and they had huge lag problems for a long time (seems to be much better now if patch notes in the past few months are anything to go by).

There must be good technical reasons for it or sharding the games wouldn't be happening. In a world like wow you could have say 100k people in Orgrimmar (12m players => 6m per side => 1m peak active at any time => 10% in org for an event for example), but thats because they dont instance the cities. Games like EverQuest 2 do instance all places (so if you want to meet a friend you have to say go to zone X, and instance Y of that zone). But EQ2 still splits the population over servers.

I've noticed now after the launch of wotlk in WoW that sometimes the game wont launch an instance as there are too many already running, and you just have to keep trying (I'm guessing they are skimping on hardware a bit as they figure once people get over the newness of wotlk there will be less instances running and extra hardware they purchase will be wasted).

I'm guessing it's the vast amount of player data transferring between servers which is the problem. A busy website could have 50k users on it at once (there are much busier websites Im sure, how google farms its searches is actually really interesting to read about for example). Excluding WoW, games like WAR, LOTR etc have a userbase of maybe 700k which might have a peak usage of 400k, and the data is dynamically updating every second. That might be alot higher load than webservers experience, again although I'm guesstimating the numbers, the case must be there or some game would be offering it. It could be that it's possible, but the expense involved makes it prohibitive.

It's a pity though, as having a single "universe" is a great model. The number of times I've met people in work or whatever who notice me dressed as an orc and ask if I'm playing WAR (mistaking me for an ork), only to find that they are on a different server and we will probably never be able to play together, that makes me sad. /boo hoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Asav

I hit rank 40 pretty quickly in comparison to the rest of my realm, and that took a stupied longtime like 6-7 DAYS of played time, mainly due to the fact that scenarios seemed to be the best way to acctualy level up in War and the 'power' levelers like me so to speak were in the small minority of perhaps 20 on both sides if we were lucky, all playing at diffrent times, and ill be honest in terms of leveling I slacked considerably, point is there was 0 pvp for me past mabye tier 2 as at most there was 2 people in an area. That improved somewhat after I hit 40 and waited like 2 weeks for the rest to catch up. But then I straight away saw the flaws that ruined the game straight off. #1: Everyone only does scenario's 99% of the time, as the rewards for doing open pvp are long tedious and in general weak. Dont get me wrong I had some trualy epic 1-2 sieges but they were rare and far between. In the whole time I was actively logging in which was till 2 or so weeks ago, I had one singular trualy 'epic' battle on the streets of praag, which could only be described as a trench war that lasted like 4-8 hours. Since then however it hasnt occured at all again. #2: The scenario que system is just plain out flawed, it only ever pops up serpants passage as it ques the scenario's in a row program so its the auto first in the array, meaning it effectively has an almost 100% chance occuring.
    #3: The animations and the acctual statistical combat is out of whack, resulting in a generally slugish and poor combat system.

Yes war had some very brillant idea's ,PQs, the quest system showng the areas to travel to on the map etc.But the fact is whatever warhammer had in terms of ui is matched and surpassed in wow a thousand times by the tens of thousands of mods available, theres roughly 3000 'quest helper' mods that do what the warhammer generic one does or better.
    PQs are an idea I would very much like to see continued in other games, but WoW for instance has already started with things like wintergraps etc.
    And id expect in the not so distant future an almost exact same full feature.

To the people complaining about how War is new, needs time to settle etc. yes thats correct. Unfortunatly most gamers arent going to give a rats ass about what it will do in the future as opposed to what WoW simply has now.

Unfortunatly I don't see any MMO within the next several years having a chance of even coming close to Wow, if warhammer leveled of with a sub base of a couple of 100,000 steady members its reached what it aimed for imo. This is simply due to the fact WoW has the snowball effect now, people see the huge what like 12 million subs to it and think wow i gotta try it, people tell their friends etc. Other MMO's wont keep up because they are simply 4 years behind. And Wow is unlikely to die for atleast another 3-4 years as if any of you played the open or closed beta your probably aware of the 'outline plan' blizzard had for WoW if it picked up, and so far all the expansions/instances have gone almost completely to blizzards overall plan. So if they hold to it they have atleast 3 more expansions on the way,1 a year, and im sure if they put their minds to it they can proably milk another 1-2 after that if they can, and people are still playing.

If anyone is intrest I belive the next 3 expansions involve the islands in the south seas + the maelstrom with queen azshara as the overall 'bad guy' after that it will involve going to the burning legions 'homeword' to acctualy kill KJ as it was only his shade in sunwell apparently, I think the homeworld is that original one the draenei and eredar came from 'argus' and the last is something to do with the titans and killing sargeras.

I dont know if you've had a chance to read the recent WAR stuff, but the developers stated something like:
    1) they are aware that too many people are playing scenarios, and they are going to make rewards for both attacking and defending keeps more attractive
    2) the queueing system is going to be changed, so if everyone signs for all scenarios, if the first one pops, its less likely that will start next time (ie there will be an element of rotation going on)

I agree with you though, WoW is a hard game for any title to beat. WAR has introduced some cool stuff and we are starting to see some of those ideas sneaking into WoW, which in the end is good for everyone. Given 6 months or a year the WAR systems will be much stronger, but as you said gamers are a fickle bunch. LOTR is a very solid game now, and has a strong consistent fanbase, but isn't growing anywhere near WoW. I'd imagine WAR will be similar (and in the end the developers may be happy enough with that - of course they'd wish for more, but at least they've built a solid viable game). [edit EQ2 is of course another game in this category]

That being said I'd love to see WAR grow, it's healthy for the market to see some good competition as it keeps all participants thriving for innovativion / quality / etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Ziggurat

Haven't renewed my sub past the introductory month. Partly because I thought I wouldn't have the time (as it turns out, I did) and partly owing to so many people doing scenarios and nothing else.

Good to hear they're going to try and resolve this. It's a WoW beater for me but I don't have the time at the moment to go back to it; with all the lag issues and whatnot I suppose this is no bad thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Elem wrote: »
    Game is not dead, everyone forget that it only just came out? WOW will be dead within a matter of a year. .

stupid statement.

got war and a sub off a friend that works for goa free and still i found war crap. every element of the game sucked imo. got a few toons up around the mid teens.

wotlk may be easy mode end game at the moment but we both know wow wont be dead anytime soon

Advertisement