Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Advice

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

8800GT should run fine on that stock power supply, don't need to upgrade.

What are you playing? Anything that actually runs at all on a 7300LE wouldn't need a card as powerful as the 8800GT to run at maxed out settings. This would be a nice upgrade for your machine at a reasonable price, anything that runs at all on the 7300LE would run maxed out at 1680x1050 AA/AF on the 4670. As a side, the CPU is pretty old as well, so even for new games the 4670 represents the best pairing for it.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=377636

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 goonyougoodthin

8800GT should run fine on that stock power supply, don't need to upgrade.

What are you playing? Anything that actually runs at all on a 7300LE wouldn't need a card as powerful as the 8800GT to run at maxed out settings. This would be a nice upgrade for your machine at a reasonable price, anything that runs at all on the 7300LE would run maxed out at 1680x1050 AA/AF on the 4670. As a side, the CPU is pretty old as well, so even for new games the 4670 represents the best pairing for it.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=377636
    Thanks Terrorfirmer,I play Americas Army,Call of Duty those kind of games.Didn't realise the dell psu would work with the 8800gt thought it wasn't powerful enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You're fine with the 4670 for those games, even if it's Call of Duty 2 the 4670 would play it at 1680x1050 max settings with AA and AF fine. America's Army would run maxed out on a 40 euro card by todays standard. No point worrying about the 8800GT because you don't need it really.

Do you plan playing new games like Call of Duty 4, etc? Because if not, this card at 45 euro would also run Call of Duty 1/2 and Americas Army maxed without any effort. In fact, it'd also perform quite decently on COD4, but would fail a little at newer titles like Crysis - but that's not really a huge concern, as your old Pentium D would also be a bottleneck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 goonyougoodthin

You're fine with the 4670 for those games, even if it's Call of Duty 2 the 4670 would play it at 1680x1050 max settings with AA and AF fine. America's Army would run maxed out on a 40 euro card by todays standard. No point worrying about the 8800GT because you don't need it really.

Do you plan playing new games like Call of Duty 4, etc? Because if not, this card at 45 euro would also run Call of Duty 1/2 and Americas Army maxed without any effort. In fact, it'd also perform quite decently on COD4, but would fail a little at newer titles like Crysis - but that's not really a huge concern, as your old Pentium D would also be a bottleneck.
    The reason I was look at the 8800gt was so it'd do me for about 2 years for some new games as well,I'll be upgrading the cpu and motherboard in January so I wasn't to worried about the cpu being a bottleneck as I'll soon be rid of it anyway.

Advertisement