Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rainwater harvesting - reusing an old tank ?

Options
  • 17-11-2008 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Just looking for some advice on how to best clean out the remaining diesel from an old diesel tank. I want to use the tank to collect rain water from a roof. This water will then be piped into the animals drinkers. Is there any good chemical cleaners on the market that will break up the diesel and flush out the tank ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

There will always be a taint from a diesel tank, you will find it very difficult to remove all traces of diesel from the tank no matter what you do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

i recommend you get on to ireland waste water about this. they sell proper tanks. we bought our bio cycle tank of them and they were brilliant. they also do rainwater harvesting. ask for niall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Turbury

I washed out a 1000L tank a few years ago for the same job - there is still a smell of diesel off it - but the cattle drink the water ok, if its a plastic tank i dont think you will ever get it cleaned properly as the diesel is obsorbed into the plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

You'll probably never get the tinge of diesel off it. I wouldn't use it for animals' drinking water myself, but that's just a personal view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Not sure if using the water for animal's is a good idea, perhap's the water could be used for alternative uses e.g. power-hosing and cleaning down of buildings and yard's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Alaska Paul

Getting the diesel smell out of a tank is very difficult. In WW2, the 1st Marines washed out 55 US Gallon diesel drums for use for drinking water for the Marine assault on Peleliu Island. The polluted drums made the Marines sick, my dad included.:(

Tanks are relatively cheap, so find another one. We have had some gnarly tanks in buildings that were used by having food-grade pvc liners made and slipped in the tank. They are not cheap, but they work. :)

Advertisement