Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Insignia - European Car of the Year 2009

Options
  • 17-11-2008 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭

I'm delighted for it, it beat the new Ford Fiesta by the slimmest of margins(by a mere point).

I just hope that those GM diesels will be as reliable as their FIAT predecessors!

Similarly I hope the rest of the car doesn't go the way of the Peugeot 307 for durability and quality.

Full story here.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

A real looker, inside and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

medium_2422400501_76430be3fa_o.jpg

Plenty of CLS styling there with C-class headlights. Looks good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Good on them. It looks even better in the flesh. But as long as they don't let the customer do the quality control as they usually do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Looks well, but I think the SEAT EXEO will be a better overall car. Its getting the common-rail Tdi engines (140 - 170) and its getting good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

might be too late for Opel ...they are (due to being a GM daughter) in great financial difficulty and currently in negotiations with the German governement for a billion euro dig-out. ...which they may not get anyway due to EU competition laws

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I see nothing special looking about the Exeo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Its not a special looking car, but I dont think in this segment "special looking" is going to get you far, the current mondeo is very bland looking.

Fleet managers will be looking at their costs and will want reliability so I think as far as that is concerned the EXEO will be successful, the chassis has longevity going for it at the very least, if I was handed the keys I'd be happy with either, but if I had have a reliable motor 24/7 I'd go for the SEAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

JJJJNR wrote: »
    ...the chassis has longevity going for it at the very least, if I was handed the keys I'd be happy with either, but if I had have a reliable motor 24/7 I'd go for the SEAT.

It's a re-hashed 7 year old design... How the hell can 'longevity' be considered such a virtue. :confused: If you like the Exeo might I suggest the Lada Riva thats still selling in Russia (a re-hashed FIAT 124 from the 60's)?

It's like saying:
    'Jaysus that Cheryl Cole looks well but I'd walk on top of her to get at that Twink one - now there's a chassis that has longevity going for it!

As for COTY - it's the Eurovision of the car world. A lot of compromising and politics built into the voting system I'd think. The Fiesta has had great reveues and seems more in keeping with the zeitgest. Perhaps it's a sympathy vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Its not a special looking car, but I dont think in this segment "special looking" is going to get you far, the current mondeo is very bland looking.

Fleet managers will be looking at their costs and will want reliability so I think as far as that is concerned the EXEO will be successful, the chassis has longevity going for it at the very least, if I was handed the keys I'd be happy with either, but if I had have a reliable motor 24/7 I'd go for the SEAT.

The Exeo being a rebadged 8 year old Audi A4 design is hardly progress in the right direction though for Seat? Is Seat going to be the future dumping ground for old sister company Audi's hand me downs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Looks well, but I think the SEAT EXEO will be a better overall car. Its getting the common-rail Tdi engines (140 - 170) and its getting good reviews.

It will take more than common rail engines to make an (apparently better) revamped A4 compete with the likes of a mondeo. I've read a few a few reviews and they said dynamically its better than the Audi but it wo'nt worry ford or BMW. The new insignia seems to be getting great reviews and is the first mid sized Opel to compare favourably with the mondeo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Its simply a poor mans Audi.

It might be a poor mans Audi but "you can't make a silk purse ................."

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

groupb wrote: »
    It might be a poor mans Audi but "you can't make a silk purse ................."

Only because its so similar. At least the Skoda had a different interior to the Passat.

Some people would say the Toyota is the poor mans Lexus but at least those cars are miles apart in styling.

Its just because I have that model in an A4.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Its simply a poor mans Audi.

And your point is?? :confused:

I remember when BMW was regarded as a Poor mans Merc ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

vectra wrote: »

I remember when BMW was regarded as a Poor mans Merc ;)

BMW never released old Merc models with their own badges on them though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

I thought the old A4 was very tired before it was replaced. Cant see how they will get another 5-6 years out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I think it looks fantastic.

If only I had money.

Obviously not a Badge snobs car but then again..
    Anyone looking for a good reliable comfortable car cannot really go wrong for the money they will be going for.

Stekelly wrote: »
    BMW never released old Merc models with their own badges on them though.

Well,
    BMW are not the same company as Merc are they?

vectra wrote: »
    Well,
    BMW are not the same company as Merc are they?

Kind of my point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭aassddff

Is the Vectra now gone, it was an awful car. The A4 is the business for reliability sets the standards for the others.

How many years does the Passat have left in it?

Stekelly wrote: »
    Kind of my point.

You said
    SEAT = Poor mans Audi
    I said
    Same Company

You said
    BMW dont use old merc and re badge them

I said
    Not same company

What is your point ??:confused:

aassddff wrote: »
    The A4 is the business for reliability sets the standards for the others.

?
    AUDI 20th of 26
    2006 position 22nd of 26

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Is the Vectra now gone, it was an awful car.
    I'm pretty sure that the Insignia is the replacement for the Vectra.

I like the latest Vectra, ones before that were horrible.

Is the Vectra now gone, it was an awful car. The A4 is the business for reliability sets the standards for the others.

How many years does the Passat have left in it?

The A4 sets standards? Only if you have'nt driven any of its competition.
    As for reliability , it probably is better than a passat , but thats about it. I know if I needed a car that size to depend on I would put the Avensis , mondeo , mazda 6 etc way ahead of an Audi.
    In fairness though , they did move up two places in the relability rankings.

Advertisement