Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain Ring question and brakes question

Options
  • 17-11-2008 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭

Just got a new road bike and I have a question about the chain ring

I'm not sure if the chain ring refers to all of the rings that the chain goes around or just the main big one beside the pedal so just to clarify its the main big one beside the pedal:pac:

The chain is kind of grating off it so when i'm cycling i can hear it making a bit of a noise, to be honest the only reason it would bother me is if this shouldn't happen, if its a regular occurence that can't be helped.

I checked the chain ring and i can see where the paint has got worn away (only a bit), but i've only bought this bike.

Another question I have is about my brakes

"Powerful Tektro caliper brakes"

Its not a labour to stop the bike but i paid a pretty penny and they're not as good as i was hoping, i know (or i think i know) that shimano is the **** or something like that but did i get what i paid for or can and should these brakes be adjusted.

The guy who set the bike up was really helpful, checked everything blah blah, but the weight difference when checking brakes from someone on the bike to no one on the bike is huge. The brakes are obviously going to have a harder time stopping me rather than just the wheels free spinning.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

What bike and what chain ring?

The chain might be rubbing off the front derailleur, you should trim your gears. Might help assuming your gears have been setup right. A chain will always make noise if you ride in certain ratios (avoid extremes).

Tektro brakes are alright, but you can get a new set of shimano/campagnolo ones if you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Did you buy the bike New?
    RE the grating noise its sounds like the front mech (the device that moves your chain from the big outer ring to the small inner ring) is rubbing against the chain and needs to be adjusted.
    This is simple ,or should be, to rectify.2 small screws on top of the mech.
    If your bike is new just give your brakes a little bedding iin time if not new you prb need to change to your brake pads (the part of the brake that actually come into contact with the wheel)
    If the bike is new or has been bought in a bike shop bring it back and tell them what is happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭qt9ukbg60ivjrn

Raleigh Airlit 300 brand new

Its definately the chain ring rubbing off the chain, not the deraiileur, theres even a mark on the chain ring with the black paint coming

i was pedlling the bike around with my ear to the area for boaut 20 minutes the other night before i found what it was.

However since two people have said its probably something else i'm getting paranoid and will check again

i'm going in this weekend to the shop to get some extras like lights and helmet so i'll mention it to the guy,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

In my limited experience the cheaper Tektro road brakes are not very good compared with the likes of Shimano Ultegra SL or Cane Creek SCR-3 (the only other caliper brakes I have experience of.) Whether it is the pad quality or the brake I don't know but they don't seem to have as good stopping power.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

which chain ring and cassette combinations does it happen in, or is it across the whole range?

• Advertisement

i've been googling for my life to catch up with what the hell a cassestte is! i also know what a spoke nipple is, hehehe

okay, i photo shopped a picture to demonstrate :D

-the yellow box shows where the scraping happens

-the pink arrow points to the chain ring which the chain is on when this scrapping happens

-the green arrow shows a bit of the scraping

so when you say the cassette i'm just going to assume you mean the mini chain rings on the backwheel axle....

i think when the chain is on the smallest one i.e. the highest of the back gears the chain scrapes, it might even happen on the second from highest, gotta check all this to be exact

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Might wanna upload the photo there chief.

Yeah the cassette is the bunch of cogs on the back wheel.

no picture.
    so lets do it in text, like the good old days

assume you have a double front chainring, with a sora 9 speed as per the raleigh specs

which of the chainrings are you in (inner = near the bike, outer = near the pedal) and which of the cogs on the rear casette (1 = nearest the wheel, 9 = nearest the frame) combos are you in when it happens. You should avoid cross-chaining the combos "inner-9" and "outer-1", and maybe also "inner-8" and "outer-2" depending on your setup.

Edit: although personally i can get inner-10 and outer-1 on mine no probs, but on my triple I get problems

the picture

yeah - you're crosschaining. the chain is bending to get from the inner chainring to the outermost cog, and catching the outer chainring on the way.

• Advertisement

That shouldnt be happening.
    My thoughts are these.
    Either 1 or more of the the 5 cahainring bolts are loose.Or of the the chainrings is warped.
    I would be bringing the bike back and showing them what is happeing.

kenmc wrote: »
    yeah - you're crosschaining. the chain is bending to get from the inner chainring to the outermost cog, and catching the outer chainring on the way.

Is it happening all the time or just when you are on small ring and on the smallest cogs of the casssete?

not all the time just when the chain is on the smallest

i'm gonna bring it in this weekend and show them,

any advice so they don't fob me off?

i could say i am friends with Lance and he said its not right but i doubt that'd work

If you're in the smallest chainring and the smallest cog, you're crosschaining and they're going to tell you that.

see for yourself

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=yDPc1WqT2PE&feature=related

just looked at vid on youtube about crosschaining

so the way i see it is that it is expected to happen cause i'm not using the gears properly, christ!

i've got a long way to go before i earn that coveted golden nipple spoke

thanks for all the help everyone

very few set ups will alow you to use all 10 gears on 1 chainring with a standard front mech.After all I said in previous posts I wouldnt bring it back to the shop :o

Advertisement