Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This looks ridiculous!!!

• 17-11-2008 2:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

diapo_150.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

As far as I know all the cars will have significant aerodynamic changes with the implementaion of the new rules for next year. Slicks are going to be amazing but the cars are going to look a bit odd
    The front will be lower and wider and the wing taller and narrower..... I havent got a clue how the KERS will effect the cars but its early doors, none of next years cars will be tested in Barcelona this week only intermediary designs..

I miss the racing already.....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 evxx

LOL it looks like a snow plow hahaha,a wider track simply aero,big rear wing and a nice early 00s front wing would be nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Looking at pictures of the BMW the front wing is way too wide their will be lots of broken wings next year. The new regs are meant to promote closer racing and more overtaking but i can see allot of drivers holding back so they dont risk loosing a wing.
    What do you think of Bernies idea of scraping points for medals? I think its a bad idea but i would like to see the current points system changed to something similar to motogps system. I think that would encourage more overtaking in the entire field.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭rua1972

The front wing does look to wide. The rear wing looks to high. But those are the new rules, after 2 or 3 races they will look normal. * slap myself in the face* If it makes for more overtaking it's fine by me.
    The medal idea doesn't sound good to me. The point system works fine, maybe now Schumi is gone we can go back to the old system with a bigger difference between the first and second place. Don't excactly know how the system is in Motogp, the winner takes 25 points i thought. Seeing the strenght of Ferrari and Mclaren it will make a 2 horse race i think. Like last season i must admit with Renault being the biggest surprise. BMW is giving what they promissed at there start of current F1 racing. New season starts in 124 days, than we will see how things work out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 SamWiseWoahZay

I have heard that the KERS will work a bit like "Turbo Boost" on Knight Rider. The energy stored up when braking is not released uniformly or consistently but will have a "Push to overtake" button. If it does work like that I reckon it will be like Mario Kart with some cars going way faster than others at random times. It will be interesting if it does work that way. Does that mean if they are behind the safety car and cruise with their foot on the brake they can store up extra energy? Does anyone know otherwise about how it is going to work? Saying that, if they all have the same system I suppose the Teams will spend hundreds of man hours and hire Mathmaticians to analyse all the data and then everyone will end up using their "Boost" button at the same points on the track in orer to get maximum benefit (for the most part anyway).

I agree the cars do look a little odd and that wing is way too wide. I wouldn't risk a risky overtaking move with that thing stuck on the front!

The medal idea is BAD BAD BAD IMO. I agree that now Schumacher has gone they could just switch back to the old system of a 4 point advantage for the winner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Is that picture photoshopped? The front wing doesn't look centred.

The KERS system is just daft. It's one more thing that the top teams will have a slight advantage in over the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

The energy stored up when braking is not released uniformly or consistently but will have a "Push to overtake" button. If it does work like that I reckon it will be like Mario Kart with some cars going way faster than others at random times.
    I dont think that the boost will be that significant. It would allow cars to slip stream mote on the strates maybe.

I dont think that the boost will be that significant. It would allow cars to slip stream mote on the strates maybe.

I was exagerrating for comedy value, but I am obviously not that funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Does that mean if they are behind the safety car and cruise with their foot on the brake they can store up extra energy?

No.

I can't remember the figures but it can only store a certain amount of energy which can only be used for a few seconds each lap.

No.

I can't remember the figures but it can only store a certain amount of energy which can only be used for a few seconds each lap.

Makes sense I suppose!

• Advertisement

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    That said we might have some exciting electrical pitstops accidents!
    I usually only find incidents where no-one dies to be exciting :P

Im not convinced about the entire Kers program, the fact that the drivers will have a practically unlimited supply of boost will negate the overtaking idea. If the guy behind you presses the boost button then you just hit yours. Then when you get to the braking zones both drivers then top up their charge. It will all even out over the course of a lap.
    Nope, that's not how it works. Have a look at this http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?Type=Mark_Hughes&id=43467
    Initially, the regulations limit the power of the KERS systems to 60kw (around 80 horsepower) and the storage capacity of the energy is 400kJ (kilojoules) per lap. What in effect this means is an extra 80 horsepower available for 6.7s per lap.

This means that there'll be strategy involved in when to use your boost.

Like I said, it's just another thing for the big teams to throw more money at than the smaller teams, for a difference of maybe coupla hundredths of a second per lap.

Anyone going to answer what I said about the image looking very photoshopped?

Cars will have a maximum amount of storage for boost and they will renew it at the braking zones. So I dont see where the advantage will come from in terms of a tactical advantage. If you imagine two cars flying down towards to the first chicane at monza. So car A is the leading car and car B is the chasing car.

Car B presses boost to pass Car A
    Car A presses boost to stop Car B having the extra power advantage
    Both cars then brake for the first chicane
    Both cars batteries/flywheels are recharged
    Both car now can press the boost buttons again.

Cycle repeats until a traditional overtaking takes place.

Thats assuming it only takes one corner to recharge the system fully. Are the teams designing their own? If so could one teams' system recharge quicker than another? Or is it a standard system for whichever type of system you chose (like tyre manufacturers choice used to be)?

I would be interested to see what happens when 2 drivers use their KERS when pulling out of a slow corner while fighting for position with no Traction Control. An extra 80BHP suddenly delivered to the rear wheels with no TC has got to be a bit of a "change of underwear" situation, especially in the wet!

Thats assuming it only takes one corner to recharge the system fully. Are the teams designing their own? If so could one teams' system recharge quicker than another? Or is it a standard system for whichever type of system you chose (like tyre manufacturers choice used to be)?

I would be interested to see what happens when 2 drivers use their KERS when pulling out of a slow corner while fighting for position with no Traction Control. An extra 80BHP suddenly delivered to the rear wheels with no TC has got to be a bit of a change "change of underwear" situation, especially in the wet!

Aye, but they'll all be able to hit the limits of the regulations fairly quickly.

amacachi wrote: »
    Like I said, it's just another thing for the big teams to throw more money at than the smaller teams, for a difference of maybe coupla hundredths of a second per lap.

Could be an "Artists impression" of what the cars will look like I suppose. Anyone know if it is legit? I always thought that Teams kept pics of their cars under close wraps until the official release, so it could be PS I guess???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Warmup laps could be interesting if cars start with empty batteries/flywheels. I forsee some ridiculous high-speed braking on straights to charge the things, moreso than now. It all depends on how long it takes to charge the things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

No its real

joeperry wrote: »
    No its real

Any reason why the front wing isn't centred properly? Or is movable?

On the left of the picture the wing is wider than the wheelbase, but on the right it's narrower, and from where the photo is taken it should look even wider than it actually is on the right hand side, so the wing is asymetrical.

• Advertisement

Any reason why the front wing isn't centred properly? Or is movable?

The wing is centred the front wheels are turned!

:confused:

That's more than likely it, even with that in mind it just doesn't look balanced to me.

I've seen the new configuration btw, that photo just doesn't look right to me.

The rear wing is well gimpy looking :P

That's more than likely it, even with that in mind it just doesn't look balanced to me.

I've seen the new configuration btw, that photo just doesn't look right to me.

The rear wing is well gimpy looking :P

Gimpy looking is a perfect description! :D

The whole thing just looks like a very bad copy of the real thing if you ask me. You know when you were a kid and you get a model racing car from someone who had it free with 40L of Petrol?

I do quite like the side pods though.....

Cars will have a maximum amount of storage for boost and they will renew it at the braking zones. So I dont see where the advantage will come from in terms of a tactical advantage. If you imagine two cars flying down towards to the first chicane at monza. So car A is the leading car and car B is the chasing car.

Car B presses boost to pass Car A
    Car A presses boost to stop Car B having the extra power advantage
    Both cars then brake for the first chicane
    Both cars batteries/flywheels are recharged
    Both car now can press the boost buttons again.

Cycle repeats until a traditional overtaking takes place.

I suppose we will see what happens when the season starts. I think its a good idea in theory kinda like the way it was in A1GP. I think it would have been better to give them a limited amount of uses per race.

Nope. Remember it's limited to ~6 seconds per lap, so if they use their boost to attack/defend, even if it only takes one corner to to recharge they still cant use it again until the next lap. Therefore drivers will have to be very careful of where and for how long they use it.

So in your scenario if Car B uses 3 seconds of boost to attempt an overtake and car A uses 6 seconds to prevent the overtake, this still leaves car B with 3 seconds of boost to attack while car A will have nothing to defend with for the rest of the lap.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

How does the car know when it's on a new lap then and has it's boost available again?

robinph wrote: »
    How does the car know when it's on a new lap then and has it's boost available again?

Good question. I assume it will reset when it goes through the start/finish speed trap. One more potential thing to go wrong though that could end up causing some controversy.

Good question. I assume it will reset when it goes through the start/finish speed trap. One more potential thing to go wrong though that could end up causing some controversy.

I don't think that the 6.7 seconds per lap is a fixed time. The way I read into is that during a lap the amount of energy each car can store up and use equates to about 6.7 seconds. All drivers are going to use that power when it is available during the lap, whether racing for position or simply on a part of the track on their own they are all going to use the boost for the 6.7 seconds.

The limit to how much power you have is defined by the amount of energy which can be stored and used - not defined by a per lap basis. I reckon the 6.7s per lap is just a way of quantifying it so we know roughly how much power they are talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 shane329

The wing is centred the front wheels are turned!

:confused:

yeah, the wing looks centered to me. The driver has 90degrees of lock on so the wheels are turned left. But thats neither here nor there, the car looks terrible. Thank god for GP2 and A1GP.

Advertisement