Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what graphics card?

Options
  • 17-11-2008 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

Hi all, I am looking to get a new graphics card, and have been keeping an eye out and doing a bit of reading, only to end up more confused that before! I recently got a load of useful info from a thread i placed in the bargain alerts section, tho this is really where I should be placing techie queries obviously. anyway the previous thread is here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57882294#post57882294

So anyway to get to the point, i think it comes down to either the Radeon 4870
    512MB (approx EUR250), or the Nvidia GTX260 (approx EUR280). My budget is approx 300 notes, so what would people recommend, or is there some other graphics card i should be thinking of?

Thanks a million for any info :-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What are the rest of your specs?

Roughly, I would go with:

1680x1050 downwards - 512MB 4870
    Example: Gainward 4870 512mb Overclocked. Way cheaper then cheapest GTX.

1920x1200 - 1gb 4870 or 896mb GTX260
    Example: Gainward 4870 1Gb Overclocked. Cheaper then the cheapest GTX260.

Also depends on what you're doing apart from gaming, most reviews say the GTX runs cooler but the 4870 is better for Blu-Ray and when using a lot of AA. At 1920x1200 with no AA for a slightly higher price though the GTX seems to edge it in the latest mainstream games. Prices for the GTX cards have dropped pretty well so now both Ati and Nvidia are pretty viable options.

Advertisement