Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Planning permission to widen entrance?

• 17-11-2008 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Hi

I want to widen the entrance to my driveway. As its a boundary wall do I need planning permission to do this?

Any info appreciated, tried to wade my way through the SDCC site but couldn't find info.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

yes, you need planning permission to create or widen an existing vechile entrance. iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

OK, have done some serious googling and looked at many current planning applications and every last one of them was requesting permission for a business premises. I didn't come across one residential application.

I may set aside a few hours for myself in the morning I think, and try and beat myself through the red tape via phone at SDCC and get a definitive answer.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

PS. The builder says we don't need permission as we have an existing driveway, but I want to be sure to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

you need permission

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just to save you a bit of time - you do need planning permission!

A lot of people do widen their entrance without planning permision and then you see a lot of people having to apply for retention whenever it might come to selling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

IsThatSo, you need planning. The FAQ section on the SDCC website should answer your questions. Its a minor job, and a local guy would probably prepare the package as a nixer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I agree, permission is required to widen an existing entrance.:)

Thanks, have begun the process :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Good. Because I was going to say that you need permission ;)

K, I get the hint...........subtle though it was :pac:

there is no embarassed smiley for this question..............

I need to get someone to draw up the proposed alterations for me. One person told me an Engineer, another said an Architect and yet another said no, get a Surveyor...............................:confused:

Which is it?? :o:o

• Advertisement

IsThatSo? wrote: »
    See. I fixed that for you :)

Shameless plug. Get your self a technician or a draughtsman. Its only a small job and you know you could nearly do it yourself.

muffler wrote: »
    See. I fixed that for you :)

Shameless plug. Get your self a technician or a draughtsman. Its only a small job and you know you could nearly do it yourself.

Yes. I probably could do a reasonable effort but if there were any queries on it I would be sunk so to prevent delays I reckon the longest way around will be the shortest way home :)

7 day ban for xt40 for his unwelcome comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

IsThatSo? wrote: »
    there is no embarassed smiley for this question..............

I need to get someone to draw up the proposed alterations for me. One person told me an Engineer, another said an Architect and yet another said no, get a Surveyor...............................:confused:

Well they are all right,
    A suitable architect, engineer or surveyor could the work.
    As could an Arch Tech, who in my opinion would be the best option due to the fact that for a small job, the better and faster thay are at drafting, the best for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Schooby

Schedule 2 Part 1 of the planning regs gives this exemption
    CLASS 5
    The construction, erection or alteration,
    within or bounding the curtilage of a
    house, of a gate, gateway, railing or
    wooden fence or a wall of brick, stone,
    blocks with decorative finish, other
    concrete blocks or mass concrete.

there is a limitation to this is arcticle 9 of the regs which states the road must be under 4m in width, so subject to the speifics of your situation and any limitations with regard to conditions in any previous permission permission may not be required, your builder may have been right, if you need a definite answer taking account of the site specifics and planning history you could get a form from your local planning authority and apply for a section 5 declaration which will be alot cheaper and quicker than applying for permission.

OK, assuming that I understood you correctly (debatable!!) I went out and measured the road directly in front of our house, its 5.5m from kerb to kerb. Its a housing estate road, rather than a busy main road.

If I made a complete idiot of myself doing that :o could you explain it a bit more clearly please?:o

Big thanks for the info.

PS we are the first owners of this property and have never made any other alterations.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

scooby is quite correct.....

the widening needs permission as it:

"Development to which article 6 relates shall not be
    exempted development for the purposes of the Act—
    (a) if the carrying out of such development would—
    (i) contravene a condition attached to a
    permission under the Act or be inconsistent
    with any use specified in a permission under
    the Act,
    (ii) consist of or comprise the formation, laying
    out or material widening of a means of access
    to a public road the surfaced carriageway of
    which exceeds 4 metres in width,"

from http://www.environ.ie/en/Legislation/DevelopmentandHousing/Planning/FileDownLoad,8797,en.pdf

So its specifically mentioned in balck and white in the regs!

Scrap plan B so :)

Plan A it is.

Thanks, really appreciate the input.

Mellor wrote: »
    As could an Arch Tech, who in my opinion would be the best option due to the fact that for a small job, the better and faster thay are at drafting, the best for you
    Give that man a pint ;)

Advertisement