Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting into Radio Ads

• 17-11-2008 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭

Does anyone know any agencies that do radio ads or how actors get involved with them? seems to be little or no info online?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

No, but if you do find out, can you lob a couple of grenades at them? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

modified thread title to prevent more posters bitching about radio ads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

In an effort not to be banned ( :o ) a quick Google for Irish Radio Advertising yields this company for one, and this too.

Some information on how to avoid bad ads, if you do manage to get into it.

Could also try the jobs websites and classifieds sections for advertising jobs, might give you an idea about what companies to look for.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Enda Caldwell

Here's a site with advice for beginners:

www.voices.com

There are literally hundreds if not thousands of sites out there like this one.

Also, as many people 'wanting to get into doing ads like, on the radio, like'. .. em, ok!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

You need to fall under one of the following categories to get into Irish radio ads:

1. Alcoholic 6 year old
    2. Shouty Australian
    3. Be able to read terms and conditions really quick (doesn't have to understandable)
    4. Be able to write (and sing) really annoying jingles (extra credit for singing in an accent)
    5. Good accent work in general helps (it takes talent to make a Liverpudlian accent sound Chinese)

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Leaderbored

Here's a site with advice for beginners:

www.voices.com

There are literally hundreds if not thousands of sites out there like this one.

Also, as many people 'wanting to get into doing ads like, on the radio, like'. .. em, ok!

Your link was no doubt helpful to the op and anyone else interested in the topic at hand, but the addition of "There are literally hundreds if not thousands of sites out there like this one." was a tad unnecessary and not a little mean-spirited, (he was asking for help, not a lecture) and the end comment could be deciphered as just downright insulting.

The link itself would have been sufficient for everyone to think that you were both knowledgeable and helpful. Why was it necessary for you to add a mocking postscript? It's just an observation, but it seems to be a recurring trait in your posts.

All above is just an opinion. Thanks again for the link.

Your link was no doubt helpful to the op and anyone else interested in the topic at hand, but the addition of "There are literally hundreds if not thousands of sites out there like this one." was a tad unnecessary and not a little mean-spirited, (he was asking for help, not a lecture) and the end comment could be deciphered as just downright insulting.

The link itself would have been sufficient for everyone to think that you were both knowledgeable and helpful. Why was it necessary for you to add a mocking postscript? It's just an observation, but it seems to be a recurring trait in your posts.

All above is just an opinion. Thanks again for the link.

Opinions are great! I even have one too!!

Au contraire Leaderbored..! In fact I was merely pointing out a fact that there are lots and lots of sites like the one I pointed out to you. www.voiceoveruniverse.com another one, voices123.com another and so on and so forth. It is well known also by professional voices these days that there has been an insurgence of people "fancying" themselves as a V/O. It is no problem, if you want personal help and coaching or help getting started as a V/O then please by ALL MEANS feel free to PM me and I will stay true to my word. I fail to see how that can be seen as mean?

And I will stand by what I say! Everyone fancies themselves as a V/O these days, even me!!!

A lot of people taking themselves a tad too seriously of late in reply to my posts methinks. "Too old a cat to be f*%£$ by a kitten" to quote a friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Culture2007

Kaldorn, most ad agencies use voiceover agencies who would have a list of professional artists, mostly actors, on their books. Voicebank is probably the largest voice agency in Dublin and has some great voiceovers working for them.

I get the feeling you're starting off from scratch, if so, I would recommend getting a voice demo produced, about 3 mins, which shows the style of your voice. Send this into a couple of radio stations and try getting a bit of work with them directly. It's unlikely an agency will put you on their books without some experience, so doing local radio work will help you in this area.

Good luck!

*And it must be noted that the majority of local radio work is 'gratuit' or for free in English. Also, give voicebank a call and ask about representation, that should be fun!

Send me a demo first as I would like to hear your work so please PM me.

You can also sign up (only when you have a demo made mind) to voiceoveruniverse.com run by Rick Party.

As much as the radio industry is "cutthroat" be very aware that it IS showbiz where there are people out there who will call you "dahling" to your face.... but be something else behind your back...

To be honest if you want to do a load of work for nothing then try local radio but it would be better to take the bull by the horns and approach the agencies directly and see what they are looking for. There are people in the industry whose story started with just being someone 'off the street' to suddenly getting a break because they had something that was rare or that x-factor that someone in an ad agency wanted on that particular day or for one particular project.

Good luck with it and keep us posted how you get on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

no emails addrs allowed on thread Enda, PM's are the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

OP - who are you related to?*

(* I'm not trying to be funny)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Kaldorn

I have more to put up but here is a link to my work
    www.wildvoice.com/naturetalk/posts and i have made an add for my show which i will put up too. please PM me with your feedback as i would rather criticism or compliments (doubt it) come though a message and not on the board,but thanka alot everyone you have ALL being very helpfull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Kaldorn wrote: »
    I have more to put up but here is a link to my work
    I listened to your show, it was very interesting and well put together.

To be brutally honest, I don't think you have the authoritative 'Radio Voice' that is required for short radio ads. Actors Bill Golding and Bosco Hogan are exemplars of radio ad acting - you probably never heard of them but you'd recognise their voices instantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

If you would like to hone your skills and get honest critique of your work have a look at www.Radiodaddy.com or www.voicedaddy.com.

I listened to the badger link. I think you have a good clear voice and your diction is good. You sounded a little nervouse in parts of that piece, Not too many emmms umms or ahhs so well done. I'm sure with a liittle practice you could get the gist of delivering voiceovers withe the required inflections etc.

Many voiceover artist now sell their service via a personal website so you could make some money without joining an agency.

Advertisement