Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New ANPR CCTV cameras being deployed on Merrion Road.

Options
  • 17-11-2008 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I was passing along the Merrion road last night and noticed new stainless steel ANPR CCTV gantries on the Merrion Road just south of the British Embassy. The gantries covered both sides of the road including the bus lane.

ANPR will flag the authorities of which vehicles are without tax, insurance and NCT as well as alerting the police to the whereabouts of stolen vehicles and those linked to crime. Just make sure your road tax is up to date when passing by this point when the system is up and running. :eek:

This is all a part of the 6 million Welsh contract to deploy up to a 100 of such monitoring devices across the city. http://www.herald.ie/national-news/welsh-close-to-winning-83646m-garda-camera-deal-1516597.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Are you sure these aren't lane cameras like the ones on the M50?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭markpb

Did you read the article you linked to? ;)

The article says the contract is _about_ to be signed. The cameras are probably just vehicle counting cameras, like the council have on most of the arteries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Are you sure these aren't lane cameras like the ones on the M50?
    Lane cameras :confused:

There is only one south bound lane. They are identical to the ANPR gantries used by the UK authorities.
    markpb wrote: »
    Did you read the article you linked to? ;)

The article says the contract is _about_ to be signed. The cameras are probably just vehicle counting cameras, like the council have on most of the arteries.

Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,987 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would suspect these are the standard DCC cameras, and are not ANPR at all.

You, however, are deeply paranoid. So just for you, they're actually RFID gantries...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭Homer

Jest wear one of these and you'll be fine?!

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    I would suspect these are the standard DCC cameras, and are not ANPR at all.
    DCC cameras are normally perched up high at intersections and can many are capable of pan, tilt and zoom operations, ANPR are generally fixed and calibrated to focus at numberplate level.
    MYOB wrote: »

You, however, are deeply paranoid. So just for you, they're actually RFID gantries...
    ANPR is already an outdated and unreliable method of vehicle identification as we know from the Westlink. RFID is the way foreword and will be the way of things to come. TFL will be introducing it shortly with the Congestion charge http://www.we-make-money-not-art.com/archives/2004/08/london-may-use-rfid-to-enforce.php

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

DCC cameras are normally perched up high at intersections and can many are capable of pan, tilt and zoom operations

That's the traffic cameras you're thinking of. They're just...cameras. The cameras being installed where you're talking about will by the sound of them be exactly the same as multiple locations throughout the city already have. They are lane-counting camers used to monitor traffic levels iirc, and cannot read number plates.

The contracted AGS ANPR cameras are to be used, as your linked article says "at checkpoints". They will be installed in Garda vehicles and not on the roads just yet I'd say. Pop on Sky One later and watch a few episodes of Road Wars and you'll see exactly what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

ANPR will flag the authorities of which vehicles are without tax, insurance and NCT as well as alerting the police to the whereabouts of stolen vehicles and those linked to crime.

Because no criminal ever puts false plates on their cars...

maidhc wrote: »
    Because no criminal ever puts false plates on their cars...

Different level of crime. An awful lot of people will conveniently forget about their tax and NCT without bothering to change their plates and the penalties for that would be horrendous.

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    That's the traffic cameras you're thinking of. They're just...cameras. The cameras being installed where you're talking about will by the sound of them be exactly the same as multiple locations throughout the city already have. They are lane-counting camers used to monitor traffic levels iirc, and cannot read number plates.

The contracted AGS ANPR cameras are to be used, as your linked article says "at checkpoints". They will be installed in Garda vehicles and not on the roads just yet I'd say. Pop on Sky One later and watch a few episodes of Road Wars and you'll see exactly what I mean.
    I presume any of the congestion ANPR cameras that will eventually be installed will be fixed. There are already several fixed ANPR's used by both the customs and Gardai. One in Rosslare harbour. I am sure they will eventually have the same in Dunlaoghaire, Dublin port and Cork. http://www.cherished-number-plates.co.uk/cherished-number-plates-news/irish-registration-numbers.asp

http://www.ga.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=SEP107476

• Advertisement

I presume any of the congestion ANPR cameras that will eventually be installed will be fixed. There are already several fixed ANPR's used by both the customs and Gardai. One in Rosslare harbour. I am sure they will eventually have the same in Dunlaoghaire, Dublin port and Cork. http://www.cherished-number-plates.co.uk/cherished-number-plates-news/irish-registration-numbers.asp

http://www.ga.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=SEP107476

Oh I'd imagine we'll mirror the UK eventually as we tend to do with most motoring laws. But to start I don't think we'll see that sort of thing on gantries in the city centre - they'll trial the dashboard models first. Tbh in fact, you misquoted the article by saying the cameras would be spread "accross the city". The article only says they'll be supplied to AGS ;) That's nationwide.

I could be wrong, but that's my best guess.

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    Tbh in fact, you misquoted the article by saying the cameras would be spread "accross the city". The article only says they'll be supplied to AGS ;) That's nationwide.

I could be wrong, but that's my best guess.
    The nations toll plazas will eventually take care of that anything outside of the city. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

No Contract signed, no cameras, simple as.

Not ANPR.

Advertisement