Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enjoying your DeathKnight ?

• 17-11-2008 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭

I'm assuming everyone at this stage has at least created a DK :)
    So how are you enjoying the class so far ?

I am really enjoying levelling it up and the total difference in abilities and play styles from what I'm used too is a breath of fresh air.
    I've tried out all talent tree's at this stage and am currently levelling as frost spec.

I intentionally stayed away from the DK in the beta as I wanted to fully experience it as a completely new thing when the expansion was released.

So far I haven't been too happy with Blood spec, the damage output and "fun" of the other two talents specs, to me just doesn't seem to be there.

Unholy spec is an awful lot of fun and the Ghoul pet is great but Frost now, really that took me by surprise. Looking at the spec on the talent calculators you wouldn't think it was much at all but in practice the burst damage and general high damage output is amazing.

Going to try get into a couple of instance runs in Outlands before I hit 70 so I can get a chance at trying to tank as Frost spec also.

Anyway, would be interested to hear what others think of the DK and how you are playing it, what spec you are etc.,

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I rolled my Dk straight away, done 2 quests and went onto my main, holy priest.
    Got him to 71 then went back to the Dk,i havent touched my main since.
    Im now lvl 67 and having so much fun.
    Im specced unholy which is emant to be the best levelling spec with great aoe [althought i hear all specs are fine to lvl with]

Ive tanked a few Auchindoun instances with unholy spec ans was surprised at how affective it was.
    I realise frost is the best for full on tanking but again all specs can be tanked with.

I think this wil be my new main.
    Awesome dps,plate wearer,aoe madness,self heals ,what more can you want :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm having so much fun.

I havnt played much of it tbh, im level 61, but I specced blood and was thoroughly enjoying it, not having my hp dip below 80%.

I then went unholy after hearing good reports, and the aoe dmg and ghoul is amazing. The self heal is still there, but less then blood, but you still keep yourself going.

I had played casters all my wow life, and this is a char that is perfect, casts some spell instantly, has dotts that can cause serious multiplier damage effects and absolutely ZERO downtime.

MY new main

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Similar to above, Having a lot of fun.
    Id say about 40% of our server are DK's atm
    I facepalmed when I saw a lv 70 DK the day after the launch

Just waiting for the inevitable nerf. Just hope I can level up as far as 70 before that hits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Am I the only one who hasn't rolled a Death Knight? I probably will do at some stage, but right now it seems everyone and their dog is a death knight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The Death Knight introduction and starting area is simply the best content I've experienced in WoW, the only problem I had was that it ended and once it was over, going back to Outlands was a huge let-down, so I've left mine at 59 and have gone off to level my lock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

The Death Knight introduction and starting area is simply the best content I've experienced in WoW, the only problem I had was that it ended and once it was over, going back to Outlands was a huge let-down, so I've left mine at 59 and have gone off to level my lock.

I was going to post the same thing. The DK starting stuff is brilliant, but as soon as I hit Thrallmar I kinda lost interest (not surprising really since I've done those quests like 7 or 8 times now.) I will definitely return to him though, probably by the weekend, as the DK mechanics are really interesting and I haven't even begun to explore it all properly. But everyone should roll one, even if they only play for three levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

The DK starting area, quests and story are really worth experiencing. Its like only 7 levels and should be around 4hrs. I dont think I'd go back to level him, but I think everyone should do it as far as Outland or you're missing out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I rolled one which I'll get back to when I get my rogue to 80. I got him to 58 in a few hours. For some reason, the XP is insane up to 58 doing the Death Knight quests. Free epic mount and so forth. It's a good craic. Good class. Seems a bit overpowered. I'm not really too sure on how to play him. I've been button mashing to be honest. I specced unholy as it was supposed to be the best for leveling.

dlofnep wrote: »
    I rolled one which I'll get back to when I get my rogue to 80. I got him to 58 in a few hours. For some reason, the XP is insane up to 58 doing the Death Knight quests. Free epic mount and so forth. It's a good craic. Good class. Seems a bit overpowered. I'm not really too sure on how to play him. I've been button mashing to be honest. I specced unholy as it was supposed to be the best for leveling.

Yeh, I succumbed to alot of button mashing aswell. It's so different to rolling a normal class where spells and abilities are drip fed over 70 (80 now I suppose) and you have plenty of time to try them out and get used to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Jason2379

Easily the best class I've ever played!! :D So much fun. My main is Alliance so I decided to go Horde for this and see what it's like. It's such a difference and gives me different terrain to play with...

So far I'm delighted on a whole!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

My DK is lv71 now. He was unholy for a long time. Just trying frost now. Haven;t tanked with him yet but did Nexus as DPS (unholy). Was no1 DPSer and that group included a mage in badge loot/tier 4. I was wearing Northrend greens.

Not sure about frost as dps. lots of crits which could be bad if i'm dpsing. Afraid i'll pull aggro. Probably go back to unholy. found it great fun nuking everything in sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

playin dk only, while two mains sit rested if i decide to level them after my dk hits 80. hes just 67 now.

im specced unholy and lovin it. can tank perfect, and can easily fight 4-5 mobs the same level or a level or 2 higher than me and come out with no healing required.

crazy op class.. nerf inevitable probably :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

That's why I'm leveling my rogue. I know all too well what happens to overpowered classes. You'll level them and then they get nerfed just as you ding 70 (or 80 in this case).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

50% will roll dk
    50% of them will get their dk to northrend content
    70% of that figure will end game raid him

Its just a new fad and buzz, but i personally have been gearing it up as my main.

You can tell the amount of people that just rolled for lol's.

The 1. channel in outlands is constantly " how do I cast disease this class is ****"

Just general idiots.

Of about 400 dk's on my server id honestly say about 10% have a clue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

yup, got lvl 60 atm...Absolutleyl lovin it. Similar to another poster, i've had casters (lock and priest) my WoW life, and a melee/tank/caster(ish) type class is just brilliant...Am blood atm, tried unholy, but felt blood gave me a lil better healing and faster rune cooldowns...will prob spend the rest of the points in frost...couple of mates went unholy tho, they love it...He completley kicked my ass when we duelled...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Got my DK to 67 yesterday evening when I got home from work (2 levels in about 3 hours, not bad at all). Ended up going to Northrend and ran around getting flightpaths. Think I'll go back to Outland though now and complete a range of quests from Area 52, should bring me to 68 at least, maybe 69, then I'll head into Northrend for good.

Also spec'd back into Unholy so I could complete the group quests in Nagrand solo. Honestly like, my missus was watching and she plays a DK also but couldn't believe how overpowered the class is. As level 65 I took on the lvl 67 elite Talbuk called Banthar (think that's what it's called, or was that the other elite quest?) but anyway, it AND it's feckin' 12 other talbuks that I happened to pull by mistake also. Bad pull and I thought I was dead but omfg, killed the elite and all of the adds and walked away with 90% or so health at the end of it.
    The diseases + pestillence + blood boil = all 12 adds dead while I'm still fighting the elite.

Also played a couple games of AV to get a feel for PvP when I hit 67. Had no trouble (apart from obvious lack of resillience) taking on lvl 70's. Can't wait now to ding 80 and get into the pvp proper.

Feckin' great class :)

Can't say though that I fully understand the whole rune system, guess I should read up a bit about it now really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

does the race you choose have any impact on the DK's Human,Night Elf, Gnome etc...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

ZygOte wrote: »
    does the race you choose have any impact on the DK's Human,Night Elf, Gnome etc...?

Not that I could see no, apart from looks and racials.

I chose Orc for the expertise racial bonus to Axe's but Tauren would be good also for the stomp and racial stamina bonus. Only know horde though so couldn't tell you what would be the best racial Alliance side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Its a real shame DK's looks so awesome by the time you leave the starting area, by mid 60's they just look like a warrior :/ I really was expecting blizz to add some new loot onto quests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

i went for undead cuz lorewise theyre the obvious choice(not that im into rp or anything). i always have a softspot for undead too! looks awsome thogh small.

plus the racials cant be beat, will of the forsaken for being feared etc. and cannabolise which is a godsend for running instances without a healer. which i done non stop in hfp as tank.

• Advertisement

I rolled a tauren - looks class, warstomp is great for pvp and it really pisses of the lore lovers :D. If I was alliance, I'd be torn between a gnome and an NE, I freaking hate NE's but the new shadowmeld seems absolutely imba.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

copeyhagen wrote: »
    i went for undead cuz lorewise theyre the obvious choice

A death knight becomes undead when it is converted from living, so lorewise any other race would be an obvious choice to suit the lore. the most famous examples being teron gorefiend (previously an orc acolyte) and arthas menthil (previously human prince and knight)

Im definitely liking the playstyle, currenlty only 61 though, i havent touched northrend yet, when i log in and think about heading to northrend i just dont feel up to it, few months ago i couldnt wait to go to northrend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

Yeah im now 74 and loving the new zones (completed borean and dragon blight) and now onto grizzly hills which is looking to be my fav zone.

Although what i must add is that i dont really like the DK's end talents, i find them pretty weak and the power required to use them too much to be effective. So im prob gonna start working on some hybrid builds.

What yis think of this build?

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/deathknight/talents.html?tal=0055001513000310000000000000000000000000000000000000000230200335023110203150003133100

I havent tested it yet, but predict it will be awesome. Unless anybody can point out any flaws ?

Hmm, started a Death Knight a couple of days back, just to experience the new starting area I guess, haven't touched him since he got to Orgrimmar. I'll probably level him a bit more at some stage, but honestly, I'm just having a lot more fun with my Warrior in Northrend.

Did you go fury karl?

If you can get a few utgarde keep runs to get the 2h axe from the last boss twice fury is a great laugh. 70 hit rating on each wep. Quite supprised by the DPS to be honest 600+ on single mobs, and with multiple mobs ive been seeing 2300+. And thats using full greens.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Well my poor old priest is still sitting at the inn waiting for me but im having so much fun with my Dk hes gonna be waiting longer.
    I realise the DK is the first hero class in the game but man they are machines.
    I steamrolled through each zone in outland in about 2-3 hours with absolutely no downtime and no deaths - unholy spec is amazing.
    Ive been tanking Nexus and UK while dps spec,with a few green tanking items i have almost 15k hp unbuffed and thats just dps spec with no points in frost.
    When i dps im out dpsing every class in the game with ease and while tanking im out dpsing most.
    Im delighted i put in the time and effort to lvl my DK to Northrend,its just such a fun class to play with so many options.

@ Nix ,very interesting build there mate, i like the look of it but i wonder would losing rage of rivendare and unholy blight be worth it?
    I really like unholy blight but then again theres some nice alternatives in that spec you made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

Well i think the dmg off unholy blight is pretty weak, and regarding rage of rivendare, with my build you actually gain more expertise with the help of "Veteran of the third war" which give a 6% boost to str and stam and +6 expertise. So your only loosing out on the 10% boost of dmg with blood plague on.

Keep in mind my build is mainly for pvp/grinding. :)

Manties wrote: »
    Did you go fury karl?

If you can get a few utgarde keep runs to get the 2h axe from the last boss twice fury is a great laugh. 70 hit rating on each wep. Quite supprised by the DPS to be honest 600+ on single mobs, and with multiple mobs ive been seeing 2300+. And thats using full greens.

Nope. I'm a hard core tank, I solo in defensive stance. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 asmo

i created my death knight after i got my main(rogue) to 71 and all i can say is im having so much fun playibg DK. I way prefer it to my rogue. went unholy too and im loving it, the ghoul is really handy as a pet. My DK is 63 atm and i will continue to level him for now anyway.

• Advertisement

I was doing that too karl, but i find fury so much fun now, the way i can heal myself is great too. I am missing the lack of shockwave,spell reflect, disarm and the likes in fury but its something im happy with for now.

Advertisement