Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enjoying your DeathKnight ?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Guess they must have been noobs then, im still not happy about a DK being a MT though, but i havent seen enough good ones to make an informed oppinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

I'm still trying personally of figure out how DK's manage aggro while tanking multiple targets ..... this part I still don't understand, as from what I've seen single target tanking DK simple sh1ts all over Paladins or Warriors, but Multi-target tanking has shown some issues in some 5-mans I've done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

Its quite simple venom, they jusy have to be in range for pestilence to reach them, we dot up main target with disease and then use pestilence to spread all disease on the target to any other mobs close by, then we spam blood boil which does aoe dmg to targets diseased.

It would only become hard if we had to run around taunting mobs spread far apart :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Actually, I alluded earlier to how mages can pwn the (un)living hell out of DK's, so I thought I'd share some valuable assistance with those mages having problems:

1. NEVER blink without having struck a counterspell on a DK. Do so & you'll find yourself death gripped back.
    2. NEVER Ice Block, that's a strangulate waiting to happen - if you do, make sure your counterspell is ready & armed
    3. FrostWeave nets are your friend, little can be done to prevent these from causing problems. So many mages with tailoring forget how useful these are in PvP scenarios
    4. Counterspell has a shorter cooldown than strangulate or death grip, by nearly 10 seconds. If you have improved counterspell rank 2, you'll buy yourself 4 seconds to do a fair bit of dmg; pOm Pyro with CD's, even arcane barrage
    5. At all times remain mobile where possible; use slow where you can as you increase dmg while slow is up
    6. sometimes there is no shame in running away when it gets a bit much; slow, frost nova, counterspell, blink & invisibility (in that order if they are up) will get you to safety. do NOT use invisbility if you have a DoT up from a DK, as it's wasted & perhaps at that stage, an iceblock then invis. will get you out of trouble. If you're doing this, make sure that IB is up for miliseconds only, as a 4 sec counterspell going down will screw you fast if they launch a death grip.
    7. DK's like to show off with death grip or strangulate, so it's nearly a guaranteed opener for them.
    8. If you can entice them to following you over the edge of something, do so & use your slow fall. You can in fact still cast while falling, if you get it in quick enough. I've fallen off into glimmer bay killing a DK with a final arcane barrage (it was one of those him or me dies moments).
    9. Don't use polymorph as a breathing space only tool, use it as a way to break them casting while you have them at a distance. They won't be under long enough to regen any health, but it'll piss them off. Also, use slow on poly'd DK's .......

Hopefully that's a few general helpful hints to arcane mages out there suffering from DK problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

You want to make sure also that your DK tank is in the proper presence (stance) - Frost for tanking as it creates more Threat. Blood for DPS as (with talent points) it create less threat, or unholy for the haste bonus if you're bothered.

Anyway, after many feckin' respecs, this right here is what I have settled on for levelling at the moment, best of both worlds, crazy DPS and decent healing plus I can solo Elites no probs at all, currently level 71...

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=jcEMqM0Iof0zZZfM0Ixfk00o

Level 80 spec will be...

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=jcEMqchIofozzhZZfM0Ixfk00o

Purely only taking Hysteria at level 80 for the last talent point, to pop on my own side in the BG's when they've little health left, just for a laugh.

Am a pure solo player and pvp only, don't raid or instance and don't care to anymore either so it's a kind of selfish spec really but suits me fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

lack of a 51 point talent is meh

copeyhagen wrote: »
    lack of a 51 point talent is meh

the 51 point talents are crap..

IMO ofc :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I haven't seen DK's having aggro problems, but from a healer's perspective they definitely seem squishier than other tanks. That could just be down to their gear though as they won't have nearly as much tanking gear as someone who was 70 for a while.

Okay i take it all back what i said about DK's as tanks. Went into UK as i was bored last night with a DK tank and it was the best fun ive had in ages. No matter how hard i tried i couldn't really pull aggro and when i did the mob was pulled back with deathgrip. I think the whole run took maybe 20 mins at max, no down time at all.

Also did a fair bit of pvp last night, and im not really finding any class hard to kill, apart from prot warriors with 20k+ hp. Mages are an absolute joke now, silence them then nuke, send in pet with dive to stun them again, nuke, concusive shot, nuke. Infact that works pretty well with any Caster. With rogues all you need is a frost trap and a wing clip while sticking on deterrence and aspect of the monkeh, nothing winds rogues up when you can dodge over half of their attacks :D

Found a nice little trick to bitchslap Dk's with, As soon as they death grip you drop a frost trap, then start pulling back from them and use the new ability which allows you to refresh the Cd's, drop another one and just kite them around and pop deterence again... Thiis usually works, but by the time i kill them ive got less then 4k hp left and their damn ghoul comes to rape my face :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Blowfish wrote: »
    ...they definitely seem squishier than other tanks...

Totally agree with this. Might be that they are aggroing all the mobs because of the aoe, or that they havent needed tanking gear while levelling, or that many of them may never have tanked before, but they seem to take huge damage compared to other tank types. Maybe it will be different at 80 when geared and specced appropriately.

• Advertisement

Yup, I feel the 51 point talents are pretty much rubbish.

The abilities in UnHoly though are too good to pass up on, as are the bloodWorms in the Blood tree.

The ability to come back as a ghoul when you die is fantastic and really a ton of fun in PVP, always amazes me to see an enemy player just literally shít themselves when I res as a ghoul and run after them :D

Also the permanent pet in Unholy is a great bonus, a 51 point talent in itself imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

Originally posted by manties

Found a nice little trick to bitchslap Dk's with, As soon as they death grip you drop a frost trap, then start pulling back from them and use the new ability which allows you to refresh the Cd's, drop another one and just kite them around and pop deterence again... Thiis usually works, but by the time i kill them ive got less then 4k hp left and their damn ghoul comes to rape my face

I've pld a few hunter with your tactic, sadly i have a brain and when i do get frost trapped it's trinket followed by chains of ice to slow you down not to mention my ghoul has a 3second stun which ALL dk's seem to overlook.
    Hunters are dead before i get to 75% if its an even battle, if they try to gank me 1st its normally a close fight with me coming out on top with about 20%

we have chains we have grip we have silence we have mind freeze we have rune strike for ANYTHING that dodges and that hits pretty hard, all in all only class that gives me a decent fight is mages if all their cd's are up

Oh completely, its not a 100% proof way to take down a DK, but its a nice way to see if your playing against a skilled one. But remember with Aotm and Deterence im hitting over 55% dodge, so your gouls stun dosent always work. Plus you could always be kited while your ghoul is trapped ;) I'm finding the ones around my level easy to kill, but lvl 80's are a nightmare.

Oh, also for rogues being crap at pvp atm, at lvl 80 they really start to shine, was in Wsg last night this lvl 80 rogue, no idea what gear he was in but he would tear anything appart within seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

The 51 talent points are poor imo, but I did try out the frost one a couple of nights ago and it's immense fun in PvP, only problem is that at 60 runic power you have to really time it right. I've since respecced back to a blood/frost hybrid leveling build, and i'm a freaking grinding machine. There's no downtime, just chain pulling multiple mobs. I'm pretty sure I'll be going back to frost for PvP at 80 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

had a look at my build and you guys are right, the 51 pount unholy is a waste, but the points leading up to the 51 are decent enough so im gonna stick with my build.

ill link it when in home

Copey try this one

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/deathknight/talents.html?tal=0055001513000310000000000000000000000000000000000000000230200335023110203150003133100

Its imba imo, Mark of the blood is such a great talent, for me when you put it on a melee they just return the dmage they're doing for 20 seconds.

I took on both a lvl 79 war and lvl 80 rogue yesterday, think i got lucky though with popping our anti stun thingy (forget the name) as i can only recall getting stunned once, which is odd especially with rogue and war on ya :D

The ghoul is really starting to piss me off though, i quest mostly now without him as he just ends up agroing a **** load of things.. :(

nix wrote: »
    The ghoul is really starting to piss me off though, i quest mostly now without him as he just ends up agroing a **** load of things.. :(

Turn off the Ghouls ability that makes him jump behind the mobs, it helps a lot with those aggro problems I found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I'm starting to fall back in love with unholy. did all those 3 man elite quests in dragonblight solo. Even that 4man for the onslaught commander (not addendis).

Was doing the new ring of blood last night and started it before my party arrived. the feral druid with me told me to jump and get killed, he'd rez me afterwards. Jumped in and started fighting, it didn't look like i was going to die anytime soon so the feral dropped down threw a HoT on me then helped dps the elite down.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Guys can you take a look at this build please.
    Im one bar off dinging 80.
    Ive been unholy spec all the time and have tanked and DPS`ed most instances while levelling up with unholy.
    According to DK forums im reading Dk can tank in any spec and not just frost.

I thinking of going with this build which i feel with gear will be viable for tanking and for dps depending.
    You see id like to have the ability to tank if needed and also put out dps if im filling the dps role.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=j0vZhxbzZfg0c0foGeoMcout

What do yas think?

Would only change a couple of things in your build...

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=j0xMZhxbzZfg0I0fkMeoocRut

Unholy Aura is also a load of mickey really, imo anyway :)

Wandering Plague is great for keeping aggro on multiple mobs. It;'s range is only 8 yards so won't pull mobs it shouldn't plus it's only diseases so shouldn't break any CC either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement