Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real Madrid Press Confernce at 7 pm - Bernd Schuster gone?

• 17-11-2008 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Doesn't look too clever, Real are stuttering and stumbling and Ramón Calderón has no patience, who would take over at this point?

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I'd imagine Juande Ramos would be amongst the favourites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Raul for player manager :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

Ronaldo, player-manager!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

mike65 wrote: »
    Doesn't look too clever, Real are stuttering and stumbling and Ramón Calderón has no patience, who would take over at this point?

Mike

I'd say so. Was reading today that he only had a match left to save his career.
    Hop Rafa signs his contract soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

No manager with half a brain would join that circus. Calderon should just do away with the illusion and appoint himself manager.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

He's been there for two seasons:eek:

Jesus that's well too long for Real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭daosulli

Rafa is defo going to be linked to the job . . will he be tempted???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

He is a gonner. The talk here in Spain was he was gonna be sacked if they did not win yesterday. The have lost something like 5 of their last 8 games. Interesting to see if they fire him or if he will resign. But they are saying on the news here that Calderon is the only one on the board who wants him to remain so take from that what you will. They were speculating the manager of the reserve team could step up to the post full time much like Guardiola done at Barcelona.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

the team that fired a league winning manager (capello). such an insane club.

but no - no according to platini & co. english clubs are the problem

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Jazzy wrote: »
    the team that fired a league winning manager (capello). such an insane club.

and Del Bosque..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

daosulli wrote: »

Irrespective of his perception of where he is going with Liverpool; i.e. how close they are to winning the league and how stable the club structure is in the medium term, there would also be other considerations:

- Financial (how much they would offer him);
    - Personal (would he want to move his family back to Spain / Madrid right now);
    - Long term career ambitions (does he think he can get this job again in the future with a more favorable context?);

Given the history, fanbase and financial clout of Real Madrid - I don't really think there is any bigger job in club football. But the job is so big that it generally overshadows the man in charge. It's a machine that maintains it's place at the elite table of the game no matter how many bosses it churns up and spits out. As such, I'm not sure it's the job you want if you still have twenty years left to run in a career. Because every thing you do afterward is going to feel like a step downwards.

Stranger things have happened. But I don't think people like Mourinho, Wenger, Benitez, Hiddink will be jumping aboard at the current time. The landscape may be different when they are going for the next managerial change in a couple of years time. We'll see.

Just watched it. He is not leaving his job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

So what was the press conference about so?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It depends on the possibilities...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Irrespective of his perception of where he is going with Liverpool; i.e. how close they are to winning the league and how stable the club structure is in the medium term, there would also be other considerations:

- Financial (how much they would offer him);
    - Personal (would he want to move his family back to Spain / Madrid right now);
    - Long term career ambitions (does he think he can get this job again in the future with a more favorable context?);

Given the history, fanbase and financial clout of Real Madrid - I don't really think there is any bigger job in club football. But the job is so big that it generally overshadows the man in charge. It's a machine that maintains it's place at the elite table of the game no matter how many bosses it churns up and spits out. As such, I'm not sure it's the job you want if you still have twenty years left to run in a career. Because every thing you do afterward is going to feel like a step downwards.

Stranger things have happened. But I don't think people like Mourinho, Wenger, Benitez, Hiddink will be jumping aboard at the current time. The landscape may be different when they are going for the next managerial change in a couple of years time. We'll see.

Really excellent post.

The most important thing to note here is how stupid Calderon and Mijatovic would be to fire Schuster at this present moment. Real Madrid are in a critical position at the moment where they need stability, injuries, behind the scenes antics and dressing room squabbles are breaking up the team spirit that led them to two Liga titles.

First of all, Madrid's main fault this year is not replacing Robinho and not buying another winger due to there silly escapades with Ronaldo. Schuster didn't get the men he wanted (he publically stated he wanted to improve the wings, get another striker and get another CB). If Schuster got his demands then I'm positive they'd be in a much stronger position in both the Liga and CL.

You see, my problem isn't with the fact that Schuster should be fired. Alot of people think last seasons sucess was built on Capello's foundations, and Schuster is finally unravelling all the hard work, also Schuster since he arrived at the Bernabeu has been a moaning d*ck, complaining about EVERYTHING. It's the fact that they are choosing to fire him NOW, when the results aren't going their way. Calderon is a f*cking clown who is firing him just to save face, Schuster will lose his job for all the wrong reasons if he is fired.

Back on Calderon, the man is an idiot. As much as the galactico era has highlighted Perez' history, at the least the man got exactly who he told the press he wanted. The Cristiano Ronaldo saga has ruined the man, it seems that he only buys players by mistake, after intially not being able to get his no.1. His good signings have been Gago, Higuain, Van Der Vaart and Nistelrooy.

From a reputable enough source, Schuster didn't turn up for training today or return to Madrid. He went to his daughter's christening last night and didn't tell the club that he wasn't coming back. Reports in Spain are that Calderon has already told Mijatovic to find a replacement and Schuster will be fired officially in the next few days. Either way, he won't be back at the Bernabeu. Anyway, after this meeting I can see either Schuster being fired or walking, he absolutely loathes Mijatovic and his travelling circus.

Edit- Also, if you want to know about the developments at the Bernabeu, watch extra-time tonight at 10.05 on Real Madrid tv (channel 446), I watch it every week because it does a round up of La Liga. However, make sure to watch with caution, the amount of bias is disgusting, especially from that French idiot, Frederick. Sid Lowe is quality though, my favourite sports journalist/ pundit (despite being a Real Madrid fan he is incredibly intelligent and unbiased).

eZe^ They just gave the guy their support in the new conference and now you say they are going to stab him in the back in the next few days. Word was he did not turn up for training yesterday either but also that Calderon is the only board member to support him and the rest want him out.

redout wrote: »
    eZe^ They just gave the guy their support in the new conference and now you say they are going to stab him in the back in the next few days. Word was he did not turn up for training yesterday either but also that Calderon is the only board member to support him and the rest want him out.

If that's true then good, Schuster deserves to be given support, especially considering their predicament is not his fault, and not many managers are about, Ramos, Mancini, and Rijkaard. This may be the one good thing Calderon has done.

Otherwise Calderon is clueless, he has shown himself to be too easily influenced by the pressure from the Florentistas (see the Cronaldo saga and other failed galactico signings) and regularly embarasses himself in front of the press, though some would say that is a job requirement for a La Liga club president. Supporting Schuster sounds very un-Calderonlike, but it's better for Real Madrid and La Liga if that's the case.

Totally agree with you on that he constantly embarasses himself in front of the press. Every time the guy opens his open he puts his foot in it. He is a laughing stock at this stage which I am sure the more reputable press ie: Not Marca are aware of and most things he says cannot be taken for granted so maybe you are right and Schuster could still get the boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Basket case politics at that club so nothing would surprise me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Benitez wouldnt be a viable candidate.
    His style of football is too negative and wouldnt be tolerated by the fans.

I'm glad Schuster has stayed on ,he is a good manager albeit one whose luck seems to have run out.
    Real were flattered to win the league last season as a result of Barca imploding and Real winning/stealing alot of matches they didnt deserve to.
    They have had alot of injuries this season and they sold their best player to Man City.
    Football is a fickle game.

• Advertisement

Zidane To Florentino: You Go Back, I Go Back
    Real Madrid legends Zinedine Zidane and Ronaldo were in Morocco last night where they held a charity match against poverty. The pair crossed lines with their former president, Florentino Perez...

Former Real Madrid president Florentino Perez was in Morocco yesterday where he met up with Ronaldo and Zidane, who were holding the traditional Ronaldo & Friends vs Zidane & Friends match against poverty.

Prior to the game, the famous trio took pictures for the press and held a friendly conversation. "With the way you look, you should still be playing," said Perez to Zidane.

The French legend was quick to respond. "If you return, Florentino, I'll come back too!" he joked, with that popular smile on his face.

Injury plagued Ronaldo was sentimental when recalling his days at the Bernabeu. "What good times we spent together, President, back in the day," he mused.

The talk was then moved on to more serious subjects, most notably Real Madrid's current crisis. "Schuster is not to blame for what is happening, the problem lies elsewhere," declared Ronaldo.

After being asked by journalists twice, supremo Florentino Perez refused to talk about making a return as Real Madrid's president in the near future. "I'm here to visit my family and friends, on vacation," said Perez bluntly.

Ronaldo's friends edged Zidane's in the encounter, winning by a score line of 6-5. Ronaldo was taken off early in the first half, in order to avoid aggravating his knee again.

However, Zidane scored a fantastic double, as well showing off those incredible touches that made him one of the most brilliant players in the history of the game.

Goal.com thus take it with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

eZe^ wrote: »
    Zidane To Florentino: You Go Back, I Go Back
    Real Madrid legends Zinedine Zidane and Ronaldo were in Morocco last night where they held a charity match against poverty. The pair crossed lines with their former president, Florentino Perez...

Former Real Madrid president Florentino Perez was in Morocco yesterday where he met up with Ronaldo and Zidane, who were holding the traditional Ronaldo & Friends vs Zidane & Friends match against poverty.

Prior to the game, the famous trio took pictures for the press and held a friendly conversation. "With the way you look, you should still be playing," said Perez to Zidane.

The French legend was quick to respond. "If you return, Florentino, I'll come back too!" he joked, with that popular smile on his face.

Injury plagued Ronaldo was sentimental when recalling his days at the Bernabeu. "What good times we spent together, President, back in the day," he mused.

The talk was then moved on to more serious subjects, most notably Real Madrid's current crisis. "Schuster is not to blame for what is happening, the problem lies elsewhere," declared Ronaldo.

After being asked by journalists twice, supremo Florentino Perez refused to talk about making a return as Real Madrid's president in the near future. "I'm here to visit my family and friends, on vacation," said Perez bluntly.

Ronaldo's friends edged Zidane's in the encounter, winning by a score line of 6-5. Ronaldo was taken off early in the first half, in order to avoid aggravating his knee again.

However, Zidane scored a fantastic double, as well showing off those incredible touches that made him one of the most brilliant players in the history of the game.

Goal.com thus take it with a pinch of salt.

Wouldn'y exactly call Ronaldo a 'Real Madrid legend'. A legend in his own right, maybe. But not a Real Madrid legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

monkey9 wrote: »
    Wouldn'y exactly call Ronaldo a 'Real Madrid legend'. A legend in his own right, maybe. But not a Real Madrid legend

83 goals in 127 league appearances begs to differ.

Señor Calderon was not best pleased with that picture apparently and blasted Perez over it saying he does everything that he can to interfere with Real's board and that it was a PR stunt and that he does not care about Poverty. This from a man who was attending his own PR stunt at the timee to give defibrilators to medical centres in Madrid ! Boys with toys.

Advertisement