Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game trading ethics

Options
  • 17-11-2008 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

I pre-ordered some games online as they were so much cheaper than the release prices. Sadly, they were delayed in the post somewhere. Some were delayed enough that I bought a copy in a store (fallout 3 arrived today for example). Most shops now have a policy that provided it's not opened, you can return it, so I'm confident I can physically return the copy I bought online to the offline store, but the question is should I?

Doing this means that the consumer pays the online price, but if it's not delivered on the day they still get it on release and pay the lower price.

However, is there something wrong ethically with it? (the fact that Im asking hints that I think there is).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

so let me get this straight...
    you paid for 2 of the SAME games and now you want to return 1 of them. What's your point? who the hell wants 2 of the same games? Look at it this way,You are depriving some1 of a game that may be sold out now and in returning the game that person can benefit from this,,,,,so the answer is no.

If there is a moral issue it is only found in doing this often enough to make some kind of real profit( I fail to see this in your case) as in pirating
    return the game and get a priest to make you do 40 hail Marys and your good to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

On a side note, I preordered ME a week or so ago and An Post still haven't delivered it.

I think they've begun to roll out the its coming up to Xmas excuse to do no work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Nothing wrong with it I think, you've paid for the game twice now, just return the online one to the shop.

I had wipeout for the PSP, the part of the umd broke off and I wasn't goin to risk putting it in my psp so, went into Game bought wipeout again, took it home put my broken wipeout umd in the case, returned it saying "it was like that when I opened it" requested a full refund. They asked if I'd like it replaced instead and I said "No, I'll never shop here again if that's the quality of product you sell" and left with my money. I hate GAME.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

rizzla wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with it I think, you've paid for the game twice now, just return the online one to the shop.

I had wipeout for the PSP, the part of the umd broke off and I wasn't goin to risk putting it in my psp so, went into Game bought wipeout again, took it home put my broken wipeout umd in the case, returned it saying "it was like that when I opened it" requested a full refund. They asked if I'd like it replaced instead and I said "No, I'll never shop here again if that's the quality of product you sell" and left with my money. I hate GAME.

Hate GAME too. Gave back a Xbox 360 when i got my Elite that was just about to die. Got money for it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

TheWitch06 wrote: »
    Hate GAME too. Gave back a Xbox 360 when i got my Elite that was just about to die. Got money for it. :)

Did this too in Game too :D

Screw them, they make enough money, if it breaks on a new person when they buy preowned they'll bring it back to them under warranty and get another one.

Although I honestly don't know why anyone would buy a preowned 360.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

They make enough money on trade ins. I wouldn't feel a bit guilty and if you are just looking for store credit or another game they'll probably be fine about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Go for it. They put a 100% mark-up on second hand games... They don't hesitate in screwing over the customer with incredible mark-ups and high prices around the country and you are worried about making a couple of quid off them?

The goody goody answer would be don't do it... but GAME and Gamestop have been charging over the odds for years. Either way, Mr. GAME isn't going to lose any sleep over what you do, so you might aswell take the couple of quid on offer.

Think of it like this...if GAME hadn't their prices as high in the first place trying to make an extra buck off customers, you wouldn't be having this discussion.

I'd never buy a replacement for something that was broken and then take back the broken one.... I just hate being ripped off with high prices. You are being smart by playing them at their own pricing game. :)

Edit: If you bought it in Xtravision - who are the only bricks and mortar game store who aren't rip off, I'd think twice about it.

Advertisement