Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Irish residents voting in the Republic of Ireland

Options
  • 17-11-2008 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I know that people in Northern Ireland can claim duel citizenship for the UK and Ireland. Does that mean that they can vote in both the Westminister and Dail elections?

If they could vote in the Dail elections, what constituency would they fall into?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I don't think they can vote in Dáil elections. Their address would not fall into any ROI constituency so I don't think they could be legitimately on the register of electors.

I wonder though if referenda could be an exception to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

I imagine you have to be resident to vote.

EU nationals can vote in EU elections here, but id say only if they were actually living here, and that would serve as an alternative to them voting in their own country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Obviously you have to be a resident of the state. I know Nordies like to vote early and often but that would be taking the pish.

How foolproof/corruption proof the Electoral Register is, is another matter.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

Dail elections aren't "Irish citizens only". Any resident that's Irish or UK citizens may vote.

So Nordies with Irish passports are no more allowed to vote than Irish citizens living in the UK, USA or elsewhere.

Whether we should allow non-resident citizens to vote is another question!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

turgon wrote: »
    I imagine you have to be resident to vote.

EU nationals can vote in EU elections here, but id say only if they were actually living here, and that would serve as an alternative to them voting in their own country

It's the same country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

FTA69 wrote: »
    It's the same country.

The concept of residency tends to apply to existing states, not politcial aspirations.

As said, you have to be a resident to vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Gobán Saor

Whether we should allow non-resident citizens to vote is another question!
    Works for the US, Canada and South Africa among others. So, unless we believe that our non-resident citizens are an irresponsible lot who can't be trusted with the vote.......

Works for the US, Canada and South Africa among others. So, unless we believe that our non-resident citizens are an irresponsible lot who can't be trusted with the vote.......

So which constituency would you like them to vote for TDs in?

FTA69 wrote: »
    It's the same country.
    Morally, yes. Legally tricky. The Constitution was specifically amended post Good Friday agreement to fudge this very point. In various places it refers to "the State", "the Nation" and "Ireland", sometimes interchangeably, but without really defining any of them. BUT it does affirm that: "It is the entitlement and birthright of every person born in the island of Ireland, which includes its islands and seas, to be part of the Irish Nation." Now that entitlement would seem to me to carry with it the right to vote, surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭burgess1

javaboy wrote: »
    The one they last lived in?

• Advertisement

burgess1 wrote: »
    The one they last lived in?

So counties in the west that have had huge emigration will have their TD's picked by people living in the UK and America?

Two choices. Do it like the US, they vote in whatever State they (or their parents) were previously registered in. Or create a separate "non-resident" constituency or constituencies. The former suggests itself for emigrants; the latter might make more sense for the North.

And for referenda and presidential elections, it doesn't matter as all votes are aggregated anyway.

Two choices. Do it like the US, they vote in whatever State they (or their parents) were previously registered in. Or create a separate "non-resident" constituency or constituencies. The former suggests itself for emigrants; the latter might make more sense for the North.

I was thinking that idea myself. I definitely don't think they should be allowed vote in their old constituency but maybe an ex-pat constitutency would work.

So counties in the west that have had huge emigration will have their TD's picked by people living in the UK and America?
    US emigrants who retain their citizenship and right to vote are also required to make a tax return to the IRS and are liable for US tax on their worldwide income. (Usually not a severe imposition as tax paid locally is offset against US tax liability) If they don't like that they can renounce their US citizenship (and right of return to the US.) Sounds a fair proposition to me.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why would anyone risk a bunch of ex-pats deciding the election? If it goes to hell they won't bother coming back and we'd be left to pick up the pieces.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭rcecil

Expats probably wouldn't do a worse job than Bertie, Enda, Mary H and the rest of the corporate parties. Now Libertas is being pushed as a viable opposition. Next we'll have the PDs joining and we can have a real wingnut opposition.
    Visit www.sinnfein.ie for an Irish solution to Irish problems

rcecil wrote: »
    Expats probably wouldn't do a worse job than Bertie, Enda, Mary H and the rest of the corporate parties. Now Libertas is being pushed as a viable opposition. Next we'll have the PDs joining and we can have a real wingnut opposition.

Yeah Enda really made a bags of things when he was Taoiseach didn't he? ... oh wait. :rolleyes:

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Morally, yes. Legally tricky. The Constitution was specifically amended post Good Friday agreement to fudge this very point. In various places it refers to "the State", "the Nation" and "Ireland", sometimes interchangeably, but without really defining any of them. BUT it does affirm that: "It is the entitlement and birthright of every person born in the island of Ireland, which includes its islands and seas, to be part of the Irish Nation." Now that entitlement would seem to me to carry with it the right to vote, surely?
    Nope. The Constitution leaves it up to legislation to determine who has the right to vote, and legislation dictates that you must be resident in the state to be included on the register of electors. Article 3 of the Constitution makes it clear that the applicability of such legislation is to the 26 counties of the Republic.

Advertisement