Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

name on a summons

• 17-11-2008 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

if for example your name was mc loughlin but the name on your summons was mc laughlin does this make any difference?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

casey1970 wrote: »
    if for example your name was mc loughlin but the name on your summons was mc laughlin does this make any difference?

Does it make any difference? Do you mean that the charge(s) might be struck out? I would doubt it, although it depends on the charge/Judge involved.

I have seen incidents where this is brought to the attention of the prosecutor, an application is made there and then for a name change on the summons and granted, assuming you/your representative does not object. If you do object, you must state why.

Again, this is not specific to your circumstances, just what I have observed happen in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

minor variation in name unlikely to afford a defence. Court has power to amend.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Also an apperance will cure most minor defects in a summons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭villager

above post is spot on the prosecuting garda can request an amendment to summons for something minor like name, registration number etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 scubydu

Also an apperance will cure most minor defects in a summons.
    johnny - i have received a defective summons- my wife signed for it in post office- my surname is spelled wrong - my thinking is not to turn up in court as i'm not the person on summons- could it be as simple as that?
    scubydu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Surely the fact that your wife accepted it as being you when signing for it would indicate that the right person accepted the summons even though the spelling is wrong.

Sure come back for more info once the bench warrant has issued!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

District Judges can and do amend summons'. You need to appear.

NoQuarter wrote: »
    District Judges can and do amend summons'. You need to appear.
    suppose i do appear under wrong name and i get points on licence, how can they put points on my licence if my licence has different name?(i wont be telling them)

Surely the fact that your wife accepted it as being you when signing for it would indicate that the right person accepted the summons even though the spelling is wrong.

Sure come back for more info once the bench warrant has issued!
    Schemingbohemia- heres what actually happened,
    didnt get fixed penalty notice, now have a summons- summons served by registered post - ("somebody" gave consent to my wife to pick it up by forging my name on the post office docket.I can prove i didnt sign the docket as i was in the UK at the time- so could i deny i ever got the summons?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭blueythebear

scubydu wrote: »
    didnt get fixed penalty notice, now have a summons- summons served by registered post - ("somebody" gave consent to my wife to pick it up by forging my name on the post office docket.I can prove i didnt sign the docket as i was in the UK at the time- so could i deny i ever got the summons?

You need to accept that you have been adequately served with the summons. You now have to turn up to court. The summons will be amended on the day and you will receive the appropriate penalty, which may be increased if you try arguing these issues.

If you really feel that you wish to argue the point, you will be well served to get a solicitor, which will cost a few hundred quid for the morning. Possibly not worth it for the fine you'll receive but this is dependent on the offence you're charged with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I do find these ' clutching at straws ' threads most entertaining........... the letter '' i '' is in my name but on the summons there is no dot over the letter , does this get me off the hook ? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

scubydu wrote: »

You have received the summons - correct ? In that case to deny its receipt is to commit perjury ....tut tut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Delancey wrote: »
    I do find these ' clutching at straws ' threads most entertaining........... the letter '' i '' is in my name but on the summons there is no dot over the letter , does this get me off the hook ? :rolleyes:

That depends entirely on whether the summon was addressed to a legal fiction in CAPITAL letters. In that case, there is obviously no requirement to dot the 'i'. Otherwise it is essential that it be dotted.

Did you commit the offence that lead to the fixed penalty notice?

If yes then appear and stop trying to weasel your way out of it.

Also you can't ask for specific legal advice on this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Delancey wrote: »

Never thought of that one Delancey. You would need to meet a very patient DJ. Hope the Freemen don't hear of that one

Advertisement