Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Letters after your name

• 17-11-2008 5:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭

Its something perhaps nobody here has thought about, but then again someone might have the answer.

If you hold an arts degree or a commerce degree, you put down on your CV or whatever BA or BComm or whatever the letters that go with your degree are.

Is there a name for those types of letters?

How is it decided whether a course will entitle someone to letters? If you look at some of the professional qualification courses, some such as the Qualified Financial Advisor (QFA) or Chartered Accountant (CA, CPA, ACA, ACCA) give the holder letters after their names, while others dont. Why is that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 nellybelly

They are called post-nominal letters... not very exciting really!

I think the power to bestow honours (signified by post-nominals) was originally linked to a royal charter, but obviously that is no longer the case. Nowadays, I think anyone could "grant" post-nominal letters.. I guess it's up to you whether you recognise them or not. I think the honours conferred by universities and stuff have some legislative basis somewhere.

Advertisement