Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronaldo "I am the 1st, 2nd, 3rd best in world

• 17-11-2008 5:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

This guy is full of himself. Love United but hate this tosser.

http://www.marca.com/edicion/marca/futbol/internacional/es/desarrollo/1184789.html

The title is a translation of what he said. This is the second time he has said this about 2-3 weeks ago on sky camera's he said the same thing be it in jest or not this guy is a fool.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

He really needs to sit down and watch Messi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Its Marca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

"He really needs to sit down and watch Messi."

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

you must be good, if your scoring goals for fun at a club you clearly dont want to be at!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

smashey wrote: »
    He really needs to sit down and watch Messi.

Far more complete player than Messi tbh. What can Messi do that he cant (apart from do an interview without people cringing)? Whereas Messi cant jump, header or out-muscle anyone.

I love the guy but every week he gets harder and harder to defend. He is a bit of a cock, but as ive said before, its his arrogance that sets him apart as a footballer, without it he wouldnt try half the stuff he does and only he can pull off.

He is a bollox off the pitch... But when he brings results on the pitch, thats all that matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

In fairness now he is kinda right :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Carturo

Sure it's an accurate translation? Doesn't look it to me.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Its Marca

Ok take it from here then. ABC is one of the biggest newspapers in Spain.

http://www.abc.es/20081117/deportes-futbol/cristiano-ronaldo-primero-segundo-200811171641.html

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Far more complete player than Messi tbh. What can Messi do that he cant (apart from do an interview without people cringing)? Whereas Messi cant jump, header or out-muscle anyone.

I love the guy but every week he gets harder and harder to defend. He is a bit of a cock, but as ive said before, its his arrogance that sets him apart as a footballer, without it he wouldnt try half the stuff he does and only he can pull off.

He is a bollox off the pitch... But when he brings results on the pitch, thats all that matters.
    Remember the champions league game?

Ronaldo - Anonymous

Messi - Threat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

smashey wrote: »
    Remember the champions league game?

Ronaldo - Anonymous

Messi - Threat
    Remember the Champions League Final?

Ronaldo- Scored

Messi- At home watching the game on television.

• Advertisement

Pighead wrote: »

Ronaldo- Scored

Good call there Pighead. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Object of soccer.

Put the ball in the net.

A midfielder with 101 goals, at what- like 23?

He can say what he likes. Messi is a more complete player but putting the pigskin in the net- which is the object of the fecking game afterall. Ronaldo is better at that.

Remember Champions league Semi-Final

Ronaldo - Penalty Miss

Remember Champions league Final

Ronaldo - Penalty Miss

Both times choked under immense pressure. His penalty in the final was nothing short of a disgrace. To try what he did against arguably one of the top keepers in the world in the biggest club match in the world is ludicrous and his cockiness got the better of him on the biggest occasion of them all. Lucky for him JT ****ed up.

Of course Ronaldo is arrogant but in my opinion a lot of his comments are made with his tongue firmly in his cheek. Take his post match interview on Saturday, he was asked about Danny Welbeck and he said something along the lines of "Danny has loads of talent and is going to be great player.

He scored a great goal too, but mine was better!" He then laughed and said "Joking" or something like that. I'm guessing these latest comments were along the same lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

redout wrote: »

Ronaldo - Penalty Miss

Ronaldo - Penalty Miss

Both times choked under immense pressure. His penalty in the final was nothing short of a disgrace. To try what he did against arguably one of the top keepers in the world in the biggest club match in the world is ludicrous and his cockiness got the better of him on the biggest occasion of them all. Lucky for him JT ****ed up.

You're absolutely right. Only ever does it against the small clubs in nothing games, and Cech read the penalty so well, thought it was hilarious how he didn't even bother saving it with his hands, just used his nose to knock it out!

101 goals against small clubs in nothing games, but at least he has 4-5 years to hit his prime and pull his socks up a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

He has scored against Liverpool and Utd hasn't he?

What a ****. But he is very good.

Is he saying that the next best player is like 4th? compared to him?

Why does he do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,918 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Iago wrote: »
    You're absolutely right. Only ever does it against the small clubs in nothing games, and Cech read the penalty so well, thought it was hilarious how he didn't even bother saving it with his hands, just used his nose to knock it out!

101 goals against small clubs in nothing games, but at least he has 4-5 years to hit his prime and pull his socks up a bit.

Yes, Liverpool and Chelsea are small clubs.

Up until last season it was always talked about that his record against the big clubs was not to good although hands up last year he did perform against the big premiership teams. Mind you he was anonymous against Barcelona in both games.

astrofool wrote: »
    Yes, Liverpool and Chelsea are small clubs.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)sarcasm   
    –noun 1. harsh or bitter derision or irony.
    2. a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark: a review full of sarcasms.

Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo believes he fully deserves to be named FIFA Player of the Year.

Ronaldo is a firm favourite to emulate last year's winner Kaka and lift both the European and World player of the year titles.

The 23-year-old helped fire United to the Premier League and Champions League double last season with 43 goals, and believes there is still more to come.

"I am the first, second and third best player in the world," joked Ronaldo in an interview with Brazilian daily O Estado de Sao Paulo.

"But there are other good candidates, like Kaka, (Lionel) Messi and (Fernando) Torres.

"I think that I did everything that is necessary to win and I am going to continue doing more.

"My goal is to win everything that is in front of me."

Brazil legend Pele expects to be giving the prize to the Portugal winger this year, and Ronaldo draws particular pleasure from his comments.

"That represents a lot for me, he was a great player in world football," added Ronaldo. "It was a special sensation for me to hear that from Pele."

With each season that passes, Ronaldo is hitting the back of the net more and more frequently.

Despite missing the start of the season after ankle surgery he already has nine goals for United, but revealed it was never his aim to be a prolific goalscorer.

"My objective, sincerely, was never to score goals," he added. "I like to play for the team, or what I want most is to win games.

"But, if the goals appear, all the better. I am having the luck of scoring many goals and I hope things continue like this."

Ronaldo is set to fly out to Brazil with the rest of the Portugal squad for a friendly, with both sides struggling to hit top form recently.

"Brazil has, doubtless, the best players in the world. The national team is excellent but bad results sometimes happen," he added.

"We hope to win the game but we know about the difficulties."

Carlos Queiroz won his first two games in charge after taking over from Luiz Felipe Scolari, but Portugal have since lost to Denmark and suffered goaless draws against Sweden and Albania.

They are now third in their World Cup qualifying group, level on points with Sweden and Albania and two behind Hungary and Denmark, but Ronaldo is confident they can turn things around.

"Felipao is a great friend," he said. "I feel very sad that he had to leave Portugal, he had an excellent time in charge. I adored working with him.

"Queiroz has still not had much time to develop his work. Two years ago England also had problems and afterwards recovered.

"It's a phase that big national teams are always subject to. We are going to recover."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

That statement was for Dunphy!

Anyway once he continues to score goals he can mouth all he wants. He is the best attacking player in the world right now. I'm pretty sure he is 3rd in premiership goals this season and he has missed the first 6-8 weeks.

"My objective, sincerely, was never to score goals," he added. "I like to play for the team, or what I want most is to win games."

LOL

Never heard so much crap. This guy is a self obsessed selfer. The first 2-3 years at United it was all he done and still bears some of it today. Did big Phil not threaten to never pick him for Portugal again if he did not start to pass to his teammates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Ronaldo - Penalty Miss

Ronaldo - Penalty Miss

remeber champions league final

when terry had a chance to win the cup and fell on his arse? LOLZ

so what does this mean? terry is a bad player?

ntlbell wrote: »
    remeber champions league final

when terry had a chance to win the cup and fell on his arse? LOLZ

so what does this mean? terry is a bad player?

How is this relevant ? Terry had the misfortune to lose his footing. Ronaldo engineered his own mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭Bongomc

At this moment in time Messi is no1 without a doubt. 12 goals 8 assists in 14 apperences and probably the most entertaining player in the world aswell.

Ronaldo is " A self-indulgent idiot" :P

How is this relevant ? Terry had the misfortune to lose his footing. Ronaldo engineered his own mistake.

he lost his footing because he didn't approach the ball correctly (watch it)

this is not about who can score peno's better than someone else..

this is about being the best all round player in the world...

ronaldo had huge part in united doing a double he won the champions league and league double he scored 42 goals he's twenty fecking three

what more do you want? what does he have to do to make him better?

stop being a big headed ****? what has that got to do with anything..

crazy talk

Bongomc wrote: »
    At this moment in time Messi is no1 without a doubt. 12 goals 8 assists in 14 apperences and probably the most entertaining player in the world aswell.

petulant child if you will..;)

he lost his footing because he didn't approach the ball correctly (watch it)

this is not about who can score peno's better than someone else..

this is about being the best all round player in the world...

ronaldo had huge part in united doing a double he won the champions league and league double he scored 42 goals he's twenty fecking three

what more do you want? what does he have to do to make him better?

stop being a big headed ****? what has that got to do with anything..

crazy talk

Ok brother I will leave you to it. I see you enjoy having the last word so I will give it to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Ronaldo- Scored

Yeah you're right. The above clearly makes Ronaldo > Messi.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yeah you're right. The above clearly makes Ronaldo > Messi.

maybe you would like to enlighten us why you think messi is a better player?

Those 12 Messi goals have come against- Santandar, Gijon, Espanyol, Donetsk, Athletico Madrid, Basel, Malaga, Benidorm and Recreativo Huelva. How come we don't hear cries of "He only does it against the small teams" with regards to Mr Messi?

Those 12 Messi goals have come against- Santandar, Gijon, Espanyol, Donetsk, Athletico Madrid, Basel, Malaga, Benidorm and Recreativo Huelva. How come we don't hear cries of "He only does it against the small teams" with regards to Mr Messi?

Because nobody here is blinded by enough hate for Messi as they are with Ronaldo. It's pathetic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Barcelona 3-3 Real Madrid

Messi hat-trick. Singlehandedly got 10-man Barcelona the draw in probably the biggest game of football in the world.

At just 19.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

don't the facts get in the way of some Ronaldo bashing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

I can't help but think he was misquoted, and said something like he was either 1st 2nd or 3rd.

I would disagree with him if that was the case, as he is defo 1st.

Whether he qualifies to take all 3 places, well I think most would rather both Messi and Kaka to play on their team rather than just Ronaldo.

However he is still better than both!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭Bongomc

Ronaldo's goals 2 against Stoke, Hull and West Ham and 1 each against Bolton and West Brom and some team in the league cup. As far as I know none of them goals are against teams who have qualifed for Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

maybe you would like to enlighten us why you think messi is a better player?

I didn't say that. Maybe Ronaldo is better. I was just noting that the argument put forth by Pighead for that being the case is more than a little weak around the edges.

Maybe someone would write a post detailing the differences in styles and strengths between the two men in an effort to reach a conclusion on who brings more to the table. That would be a good argument either way.

dfx- wrote: »
    Barcelona 3-3 Real Madrid

Messi hat-trick. Singlehandedly got 10-man Barcelona the draw in probably the biggest game of football in the world.

At just 19.

ronaldo puts two past arsenal to come from behind for a 2-4 away drumming against there rivals only 19 :rolleyes:

picking snippits like this out proves very little and it's a bit stupid

one game does not a player of the year make i'm afraid

Ronaldo's goals 2 against Stoke, Hull and West Ham and 1 each against Bolton and West Brom and some team in the league cup. As far as I know none of them goals are against teams who have qualifed for Europe.

Probably because he only played against Arsenal and hadn't started and missed the first 4 weeks of the season. He won us a game last season at OT against the Portuguese Champions - they'd obviously qualified for Europe too. He's scored against Liverpool and Chelsea. Scored in the CL final. Got us goals when nobody else would when we won the title the season before last.

But let's just forget about all that and concentrate on hating him. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

" "I am the first, second and third best player in the world," joked Ronaldo in an interview with Brazilian daily O Estado de Sao Paulo."

JOKED. What's the big deal? He won player of the year, I thinkt hat entitles him to a couple of jokes... Jeez, everyone's so quick the judge the guy, he seems like a bit of a gob****e, but so what? He earned it

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I didn't say that. Maybe Ronaldo is better. I was just noting that the argument put forth by Pighead for that being the case is more than a little weak around the edges.

Maybe someone would write a post detailing the differences in styles and strengths between the two men in an effort to reach a conclusion on who brings more to the table. That would be a good argument either way.

I think we both know it was a bit of tongue and cheek response...to the messi v united nonsense..

ronaldo puts two past arsenal to come from behind for a 2-4 away drumming against there rivals only 19 :rolleyes:

picking snippits like this out proves very little and it's a bit stupid

one game does not a player of the year make i'm afraid

Messi was 19 when he scored his hat-trick against Real Madrid. Barca come from behind 3 times and scored the equaliser is stoppage-time. kind of makes what you just wrote sound stupid.

Messi was 19 when he scored his hat-trick against Real Madrid. Barca come from behind 3 times and scored the equaliser is stoppage-time. kind of makes what you just wrote sound stupid.

no the point your missing, as usuall

is picking out something in one game is pretty stupid.

what messi did was incredible there's no doubt about it

but using it as the basis of why he's better than ronaldo is stupid.

when you look at what ronaldo did last year

compare it to messi...

see the difference in comparing one match?

penny dropping?

if the player of the year award was based on one game....you'd have point

too bad it takes in a hell of a lot more

Eh it kinda doesn't because, the point was- one game doesn't make you deserving of player of the year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

When it's the biggest game in the world, then it does matter.

Arsenal v United is not the biggest game in the world.

Messi has done and can do it in the biggest games and he is also proving he can do it against the lesser lights.

lets look at last year

ronaldo

app goals

49 42

messi

app goals

40 16

hmmmm

Regardless of how blinkered you might be, at 23 years of age he has won pretty much every club and individual honour he can get his hands on. Messi is an incredible player, but the constant rubbish about Ronaldo "not being a big game player" is beyond a joke at this stage.

I've highlighted the important ones;
    Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year: 2006-2007
    Manchester United Players’ Player of the Year: 2006-2007
    European Footballer of the Year - Ballon d’Or 2nd place: 2007
    FIFPro World XI: 2006-2007
    FIFPro World XI: 2007-2008
    FIFPro World Player of the year: 2007-2008
    UEFA Club Forward of the year: 2008
    UEFA Club Footballer of the year: 2208
    UEFA Team of the Year: 2004, 2007
    PFA Players’ Player of the Year: 2007
    PFA Young Player of the Year: 2007
    PFA Fans’ Player of the Year: 2007
    PFA Premiership Team of the Year: 2005-2006, 2006-2007
    Barclays Player of the Season: 2006-2007
    Football Writers’ Association Award: 2007
    FIFA World Player of the Year: 3rd place: 2007
    FIFPro Special Young Player of the Year: 2005, 2006

PFA Fans' Player of the Year: 2008
    PFA Players' Player of the Year: 2008
    Barclays Player of the Season: 2007, 2008
    Barclays Golden Boot: 2007–08
    UEFA Golden Boot: 2207-2008
    Barclays Merit Award: 2008
    Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year: 2008
    Manchester United Players' Player of the Year: 2008
    Manchester United Goal of the Season: 2008

• One of only two players to have won both the PFA Players' Player of the Year and PFA Young Player of the Year awards in the same year, the other being Andy Gray in 1977.

• Also won the PFA Fans' Player of the Year award in 2007, becoming the first player to win all three Professional Footballers Association awards in one season.

• Only the third player in Premier League history to win back-to-back Barclays Player of the Month awards, and the first since the 1997-1998 season.

• Only the second player in the history of English football to be named both the Football Writers' Footballer of the Year and PFA Players' Player of the Year in successive seasons.

• Holds the Premier League record for most goals scored in one season by a midfielder, having scored 31 times during the 2007-2008 Premier League campaign.
    • Holds the joint Premier League record for most goals scored in a 38-game season (tied with Alan Shearer with 31 goals).

• One of only two players to feature in the PFA Premier League Team of the Year for the 2005-2006, 2006-2007, and 2007-2008 seasons, the other being Steven Gerrard.

• The only player to win Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year award 3 times: 2003-2004, 2006-2007, 2007-2008

• Holds the new club record for most goals scored by a winger, previously held by George Best

How anybody with any interest in football can try to argue that over the last 18 months Ronaldo hasn't developed into the best player in the world is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

Ronaldo's coment was tongue in cheek, how are people not used to this by now.
    Nearly ever interview involves a piece of subtle Ronaldo humour, and if you actually see the interviews its clear that he is joking.

On the Messi vs Ronaldo debate:
    They are both brilliant players.
    Ronaldo's stats whatever way you try to skew them were outstanding last year, and unmatched by anyone including Messi. He fully deserves any award going for best player in the world for last year.

Ronaldo's big failing is his work ethic, which nobody will argue with, apart from that he's got messi on headering, strength, and in my opinion they are closely matched on skill, pace and finishing.

But then again I am biased.

42 goals is amazing for any player, and for anyone with the "he only scores against small teams" check out the goals, a large chunk of them were against top half teams.
    There is 38 games in the league, not just the 6 against Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool, and you get the same amount for beating Derby as beating Chelsea.

dfx- wrote: »
    When it's the biggest game in the world, then it does matter.

Arsenal v United is not the biggest game in the world.

Messi has done and can do it in the biggest games and he is also proving he can do it against the lesser lights.

the biggest game in the world?

what makes it any bigger than united v chelsea champiosn league final?

ye know the one messi was watching and ronaldo was scoring in?

no the point your missing, as usuall

is picking out something in one game is pretty stupid.

what messi did was incredible there's no doubt about it

but using it as the basis of why he's better than ronaldo is stupid.

when you look at what ronaldo did last year

compare it to messi...

see the difference in comparing one match?

penny dropping?

if the player of the year award was based on one game....you'd have point

too bad it takes in a hell of a lot more

Ronaldos season was a one off. Highly plausible it will not happen again. I remember a certain A Cole scored forty odd and got overly hyped. He never got near 40 again. Ronaldo scores 42 last year great. In his previous four seasons what did he really do ? He was a self obsessed selfer who still demonstrates some of that trait today. Think how many more goals United would have scored last year if instead of going for goal he actually passed to players in better positions. That there is one HUGE difference between Ronaldo and Messi. One is a team player through and through the other is a cocky gloryhunter. Is Ronaldo capable of beating Ashley Cole. I seem to remember every time against arsenal and chelsea the guy cannot seem to get past him probably the reason his record against both is so poor. Average defender is no problem for Ronaldo, top quality defender proves a problem for Ronaldo. Another Huge difference between himself and Messi who is capable of beating top class defenders and certainly had no problems doing it numerous times to Real Madrid and Man Utd last year who I beleive he tore to shreds. you asked for some differences as to why one is better and their is two. Messi can also shoot and does not fall down shot at the slightest knock.

• Advertisement
Advertisement