Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronaldo "I am the 1st, 2nd, 3rd best in world

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

rossie1977 wrote: »
    well if we are to use that then

Remember the Champions League Final 2007?

Kuyt- Scored

Ronaldo- At home watching the game on television

yep, so clearly Kuyt was the better player that year

oh and forget about that Kaka chap winning it that year also, sure he didnt score in the final even! :)

Dirk Kuyt < Kaka obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

kryogen wrote: »
    yep, so clearly Kuyt was the better player that year

without question :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

Bubs101 wrote: »
    The award is not for the best player, it's for the one who played the best last year, Ronaldo

end of discussion i think...the man has a point. the most pertinant one concerning who wins european player of the year too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I just read a story here in Spain this morning that said Ronaldo already got his picture taken with the Balon d'or on friday. It said that France Football sent over a photographer for him to get the pictures.

http://www.marca.com/edicion/marca/futbol/internacional/es/desarrollo/1188413.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

So in conclusion

Ronaldo doesn't do it against big teams

Messi is just a dribbler

and Kuyt > both of them

• Advertisement

Here is a very interesting article about Ronaldo which I reckon is spot on and well worth a read.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/editorial/2008/11/29/987937/ballon-dor-big-game-flop-ronaldo-may-never-be-an-all-time-great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

redout wrote: »
    Here is a very interesting article about Ronaldo which I reckon is spot on and well worth a read.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/editorial/2008/11/29/987937/ballon-dor-big-game-flop-ronaldo-may-never-be-an-all-time-great

Very good article. I reckon it's spot on too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I actually thought that article is absolutely useless :pac:

The writer points way too much at Ronaldos misgivings prior to 2006, a time when he was effectively a different player. It was only the 2006/07 season he came into the ascendency as one of the worlds best, so it's pretty unfair to judge him so harshly prior to that point. That would be akin to critics slating Kaka or Messi as over-rated because they weren't as good during their time at Sao Paulo or in the Barcelona B squad.

Ronaldo was NOT anonymous for large spells of the CL Final, no matter what way you look at it.

Ronaldo was NOT "pathetic" against Milan and Barcelona the past 2 years in the CL semi finals. Under-performed maybe, but pathetic is a poor choice of word.

The writer even thinks Ronnie is a big-game flop because, as a 19 year old on 18 months into his United career playing in the San Siro of all places, he was out-marked by one of the best defenders of all time, Paulo Maldini. Cut the kid a big of slack would you?

The writer points to his poor goal ratio in Europe, despite ignoring the fact that SAF utilises him a lot differently against European opposition as opposed to English clubs. He also counts his CL matches with Sporting Lisbon, again at a time when Ronaldo was a completely different player.

He blames Ronaldo for Portugals defeat to Greece in the Euro 2004 final. Sorry bud, but no one with any bit of knowledge in football would say that Ronaldo and only Ronaldo was the cause of that defeat. He was also a teenager representing his country in a major tournament for the first time, but of course the writer decides to leave that part out.

The writer points out that 95% of so of Ronaldos goals for Portugal have come from mediocre European teams like the Latvians or the Belgiums. Believe it or not Mr.Writer, 95% of Ronaldos appearances have come against mediore European teams, just like many Brazilian strikers have fantastic scoring records because they banged in goals against the Venezualans or the Peruvians their entire career.

In all honesty, that's as bad an anti-Ronaldo article as you're ever likely to come across.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

So what time is the award being announced today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Hold on here now- that article is talking about scoring records.

Ronaldo is a winger, not a striker. Bit unfair- he is shockingly bad in big games though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The guy is a moron

Internationally, Ronaldo’s record is not too smart otherwise. He was to blame for Portugal’s shock 1-0 defeat to Greece in the final of Euro 2004 when he missed an easy one-on-one chance.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Boggles wrote: »
    The guy is a moron

Internationally, Ronaldo’s record is not too smart otherwise. He was to blame for Portugal’s shock 1-0 defeat to Greece in the final of Euro 2004 when he missed an easy one-on-one chance.

Agreed. Putting the blame for a whole team's failure on a single error by one player is a very silly thing to do.

01/12/2008 08:04
    Bobby Robson Urges Manchester City To Sign Messi

Former England and Barcelona coach Sir Bobby Robson has recommended that filthy-rich Manchester City make a move to prise Lionel Messi away from the Camp Nou.

177_thumb.jpg

As Manchester City continue to flash their cheque-books about hoping to lure the best players in the world to Eastlands, former England legend Sir Bobby Robson has advised the club to forget about every other player and focus their resources on signing Lionel Messi from Barcelona.

Robson, who coached Barca during the 1996/97 season, left no doubt as to who he believes is the best player in the world today and what he would do if he had the kind of money City now boast.

“If I were the administrator of Manchester City and had proprietors who are willing to give me money to sign players, I would buy Messi in the January transfer window,” Robson told in The Sun.

“He is the best young player in the world and there aren’t many clubs that can afford to make a signing such as this.

“It’s an opportunity that cannot be missed and if City want to be the best team in the world, then they need the best player in the world.”

With Barcelona unlikely to even bat an eyelid before rejecting any offers for their superstar forward, the only way any team can attempt to lure Messi away from the Camp Nou would be to pay off his €120 million buy-out clause - and, at present, it would appear that Manchester City are the only club who have access to that kind of money.

Good man Bobby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

I'm a United fan, great player but a bit of a wánker and all that is wrong with the modern game, even yesterday petulent,lucky not to get sent off after undeserved yellow, but lets be honest manys a player got an undeserved yellow against him. Idiotic second yellow fully deserved could have cost us big time. Has scored some great goals and is spectacular in full flight, but personality wise will not be missed by me or a lot of others when he moves on, ability wise he would be very hard to replace, and does take an awful amount of stick from players and supporters, I would despise him if he played for any other club, so you can understand other supporters reaction to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Messi is going to stay at Barca for at least 8 more seasons. He basically owe's his life to this club, if he left for a money grabbing reasons to the EPL I would first cry, and then never mention him as one of the true greats of the modern game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

We find out in 5 minutes if he was right.

Ballon d'Or winner is named at 2am. If Ronaldo doesn't win I'll eat my hat.

http://francefootball.fr/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Look at that sexy beast :pac:

031208_poignee.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

1. Ronaldo - 446 points
    2. Torres - 267
    3. Messi - 165

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Congratulations Ronnie. Richly deserved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

1. Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal, Manchester Utd), 446 points

2. Lionel Messi (Argentine, FC Barcelone), 281 pts

3. Fernando Torres (Espagne, Liverpool), 179 pts

4. Iker Casillas (Espagne, Real Madrid), 133 pts

5. Xavi Hernandez (Espagne, FC Barcelone), 97 pts

6. Andreï Archavine (Russie, Zénith St-Pétersbourg), 64 pts

7. David Villa (Espagne, Valence CF), 55 pts

8. Kaka (Brésil, Milan AC), 31 pts

9. Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Suède, Inter Milan), 30 pts

10 Steven Gerrard (Angleterre, Liverpool), 28 pts

11. Marcos Senna (Espagne, Villarreal),16 pts.

12. Emmanuel Adebayor (Togo, Arsenal), 12 pts.

13. Wayne Rooney (Angleterre, Manchester United), 11 pts.

14. Sergio Agüero (Argentine, Atletico Madrid), 10 pts.

15. Frank Lampard (Angleterre, Chelsea), 8 pts.

16. Franck Ribéry (France, Bayern Munich), 7 pts.

17. Samuel Eto'o (Cameroun, Barcelone), 6 pts.

18. Gianluigi Buffon (Italie, Juventus Turin), 5 pts.

19. Michael Ballack (Allemagne, Chelsea), Cesc Fabregas (Espagne, Arsenal), 4 pts.

21. Didier Drogba (Côte d'Ivoire, Chelsea), Sergio Ramos (Espagne, Real Madrid), Nemanja Vidic (Serbie, Manchester United), 3 pts.

24. Edwin van der Sar (Pays-Bas, Manchester United), Ruud van Nistelrooy (Pays-Bas, Real Madrid), 2 pts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

The fact that Vidic is there and Ferdinand isn't is a bit of a joke no??

Ronaldo deserving winner even if he is a expletive little expletive.

Congratulations on winning as you were the best player last season but again you go on to show us what a complete arrogant tosser you are.

Ronaldo on the winning the Ballon d'or " "Great emotion fills me but I cannot really describe it," Ronaldo continued.

"I was not worried, because I was aware of what I did in the course of the season.

Next year Messi, next year.... :(

Congrads to C. Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,448 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Congratulations on winning as you were the best player last season but again you go on to show us what a complete arrogant tosser you are.

Ronaldo on the winning the Ballon d'or " "Great emotion fills me but I cannot really describe it," Ronaldo continued.

"I was not worried, because I was aware of what I did in the course of the season.

I honestly don't see why he is not allowed to acknowledge the fact he was the best player last season. Premier League top goal scorer, CL top goal scorer, European Golden Boot winner (i think). PL winner, CL winner. Really, there wasn't anyone to compare to his record last season. I know it, he knows it, eveyone knows it. false humility would annoy me more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

What he actually said was,
    'It is one of the most beautiful days of my life. To gain this trophy is something I dreamed of as a child.

'Great emotion fills me but I cannot really describe it. I want to thank those who voted for me, those who know me and those who live with me.

'I was not worried, because I was aware of what I did in the course of the season. But to the people who mentioned my name, I say thank you. Thank you also to my team-mates.

'This (trophy) is one that I want to win again because it is so good. Therefore, I will wake and I will say to myself "I want to be even better".'

Ronaldo admitted he was proud to take the honour ahead of a host of world stars.

'I am only 23 years old and it is splendid, incredible,' he continued.
    'There were other great names this year. I see that Lionel Messi finished second and Fernando Torres third, but also (fifth-placed) Xavi...all these people could have taken the trophy and I won it.'

After the season he had, there was never really any doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Dave! wrote: »
    Look at that sexy beast :pac:

031208_poignee.jpg

Lucky the ball didn't hit him in the face the other day, he might have had a black eye or something from it.

That ballboy should be given a season ticket for life tbh. Legend.

An Citeog wrote: »
    What he actually said was,

After the season he had, there was never really any doubt.

Seems like a regular acceptance speech tbh, nothing arrogant there at all, he even acknowledged other players and whatnot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Xavi6 wrote: »
    That ballboy should be given a season ticket for life tbh. Legend.

Whats this all about?

• Advertisement

What he did was funny. The same as the mascot young fella who went to shake Stevie G's hand then whipped it away just as Gerrard went to accept it. The ball was thrown at Ronaldo by a little kid. No harm in it.

The kid should be sacked and banned for life. And imprisoned.

I agree with Dave!.

I mean, this is the Ballon D'Or winner we're talking about here.

Bloody cheek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    The fact that Vidic is there and Ferdinand isn't is a bit of a joke no??

Ronaldo deserving winner even if he is a expletive little expletive.

No!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Dave! wrote: »
    The kid should be sacked and banned for life. And imprisoned.
    Des wrote: »
    I agree with Dave!.

I mean, this is the Ballon D'Or winner we're talking about here.

Bloody cheek.

Ronaldo should have jumped the barrier and kick the s**t out of the little pr**k, The cheek of him
    Does he not know the honour he had, something to tell his grand-kids

The day I meet the 5 time Ballon D'OR winner Ronaldo .

Kids now a days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Kids now a days

Yeah, absolute legends :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Remember Champions league Semi-Final

Ronaldo - Penalty Miss

Remember Champions league Final

Ronaldo - Penalty Miss

Both times choked under immense pressure. His penalty in the final was nothing short of a disgrace. To try what he did against arguably one of the top keepers in the world in the biggest club match in the world is ludicrous and his cockiness got the better of him on the biggest occasion of them all. Lucky for him JT ****ed up.

Baggio and Shevchenko were chokers too. :rolleyes:
    He missed a penalty. Big deal. He's not the first world class player to do it and won't be the last. His technique at penalties doesn't come into it. It works 99% of the time. You can't pull the argument "he shouldn't try that with the best keeper in the world" out of your arse cause it suits.
    And he scored during the game. Arguably more significant that missing the penalty.

Baggio and Shevchenko were chokers too. :rolleyes:
    He missed a penalty. Big deal. He's not the first world class player to do it and won't be the last. His technique at penalties doesn't come into it. It works 99% of the time. You can't pull the argument "he shouldn't try that with the best keeper in the world" out of your arse cause it suits.
    And he scored during the game. Arguably more significant that missing the penalty.

Whatever way you try and spin it the guy is a big game flop pure and simple.

Here go and educate yourself.
    His record against the Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal is very poor and has been mentioned before. I recall it been mentioned on Sky at the start of last season that he only had 2 goals in all his games against the top three and they had come against Arsenal back in the 2004/05 season. I have done a look over the games between United and the other three since he has arrived. There has been a total of 45 Games since he arrived at United in the summer of 2003. Now out of the 45 I have no idea how many he has been involved in as I dont have the time to check that. If someone knows then please state how many. The 45 games include Premier League, Carling cup, FA cup, Charity Shield and Champions League meetings between the sides.

2003/04
    Arsenal 4 Games
    Chelsea 2 Games
    Liverpool 2 Games

No Ronaldo Goals

2004/05
    Arsenal 5 Games
    Chelsea 4 Games
    Liverpool 2 Games

Two Ronaldo goals against Arsenal

2005/06
    Arsenal 2 Games
    Chelsea 2 Games
    Liverpool 3 Games

No Ronaldo Goals

2006/07
    Arsenal 2 Games
    Chelsea 3 Games
    Liverpool 2 Games

No Ronaldo Goals

2007/08
    Arsenal 3 Games
    Chelsea 4 Games
    Liverpool 2 Games

Four Ronaldo goals. 2 against Arsenal and 1 each against Liverpool and Chelsea

2008/09
    Arsenal 1 Game
    Chelsea 1 Game
    Liverpool 1 Game

No Ronaldo Goals thus far

So he has a grand total of 6 goals against Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool out of potentially 45 games. Now we all obviously know he has not played in all 45 games but it surely most be at least 30 or so (please state amount if known). His record against the top class opposition is abmismal and if anyone disagree's then go and get your head examined !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Whatever way you try and spin it the guy is a big game flop pure and simple.

Here go and educate yourself.

Come off it redout. When he moved to Man U he wsa only 18, new to the premier league and didn't speak the language. Do you expect any youngster in that situation to make an imediate impact against the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal?

Plus, you've left out assists. How many goals our oppertunities did he create in the matches he played? Just because he didn't score doesn't mean he didn't play well (the FA cup final against Arsenal comes to mind).

Do a bit more research before trying to "educate" us.

The ignorance on this thread is fantastic. I cringe reading some of the opinions expressed here on both Ronaldo and Messi. Some people either don't watch football at all, or are just plain dumb. Anyone who thinks a player should be judged solely on any of the following: goals, dribbling, assists, workrate, vision, strength, attitude etc; is frankly, clueless. A player should be judged on a combination of factors. Overall defenders and defensive players are judged on the goals conceded and attackers are judged on TEAM goals scored. Said player doesnt have to score them all but provided they play a part then they're worth their place.

Take Paul Scholes. I don't know what his assist rate is but it's not accurate to the amount of goals he creates. An assist is defined as the last pass. But oftentimes its the second or third last pass that is the one that slices open a defence. A through ball to a winger leaving the winger in a 2 on 1 with the GK, winger passes to attacker, attacker scores. Winger gets the "assist", but who made the goal? People can get too bogged down on stats. Frankly anyone who knows their footy and really watches it can appreciate this. Anyone who has watched either Ronaldo or Messi in the last year and tries to have a dig at them, is frankly, clueless. Both have performed excellently in big games without scoring, doesn't mean they weren't excellent.

Roanldo last year was by a mile the best player in the world. Anyone who disagrees really needs to think about how they view the game. Messi may have challenged but he was injured too often. Closest player was Torres.

Thus far this year, at current rate, Messi is a shoe in for the NEXT Ballon D'Or. But I'd imagine half the people in thsi thread wouldn't be aware of that because it's quite obvious they don't watch players and yet still think that they should give an opinion on them :rolleyes: I don't watch Italian Football much anymore so I don't comment on Kaka/Ronldinho etc anymore because I don't know how they're playing.

Average-Ro wrote: »
    Come off it redout. When he moved to Man U he wsa only 18, new to the premier league and didn't speak the language. Do you expect any youngster in that situation to make an imediate impact against the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal?

Do a bit more research before trying to "educate" us.

How about Fernando Torres and 33 goals in his first season in english football. He has also scored against Chelsea and Arsenal in his first season. Ronaldo is into his sixth season now and in four of them thus far he could not score against any of the big three (Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool) Is that a good enough answer for you ?

• Advertisement

Messi is a shoe in for the NEXT Ballon D'Or.
    I don't comment on Kaka/Ronldinho etc anymore because I don't know how they're playing.

But you are sure they aren't performing as well as Messi, yeah?

How about Fernando Torres and 33 goals in his first season in english football. He has also scored against Chelsea and Arsenal in his first season. Ronaldo is into his sixth season now and in four of them thus far he could not score against any of the big three (Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool) Is that a good enough answer for you ?

Did u even read the post u quoted? Torres came this year and he's older than Ronaldo is now! He was a far more complete player coming over. And a superb one by the way, see my post above.

Des wrote: »
    But you are sure they aren't performing as well as Messi, yeah?

Fair point. But what I'm watching Messi play at the moment is out of this world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

In short? No.

Torres was 23 when he move to Liverpool. He was captain of Atleticho and a spanish international. He also played as a striker.

Ronaldo was 18 and relatively unknown when he moved to Man Utd, and he did and still does, play on the wing.

Babel would be a much fairer comparison. Same position, almost the same age etc.

The ignorance on this thread is fantastic. I cringe reading some of the opinions expressed here on both Ronaldo and Messi. Some people either don't watch football at all, or are just plain dumb. Anyone who thinks a player should be judged solely on any of the following: goals, dribbling, assists, workrate, vision, strength, attitude etc; is frankly, clueless. A player should be judged on a combination of factors. Overall defenders and defensive players are judged on the goals conceded and attackers are judged on TEAM goals scored. Said player doesnt have to score them all but provided they play a part then they're worth their place.

What a load of bull. Ronaldo only won the bloody award because of his 42 goals and if you think otherwise then get your head examined.

oh lawwdy you really are relentless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Dear God.
    As Neil1984 said Torres arrived a much more complete player, was 5 years older and a striker not a winger!

Please hold me Neil...the comments make me sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Anyone who thinks a player should be judged solely on any of the following: goals, dribbling, assists, workrate, vision, strength, attitude etc; is frankly, clueless.

Ronaldo-

goals-check
    dribbling-meh
    assists-meh
    workrate-lol
    vision-not the may west
    strenght-stong boy, but fond of being on his arse
    attitutde-stinks

i aint denying Ronaldo deserves the award neil, he does.

but he won it cause of his goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Ronaldo-

goals-check
    dribbling-meh
    assists-meh
    workrate-lol
    vision-not the may west
    strenght-stong boy, but fond of being on his arse
    attitutde-stinks

i aint denying Ronaldo deserves the award neil, he does.

but he won it cause of his goals.

goals-check
    dribbling - at pace yes - different type to Messi
    assists- actually decent
    workrate-lol-not part of his game as told mt Fergie - works back for corners as he is told to
    vision- disagree often picks the right option on counter attack, layoffs etc are usually top notch
    strenght-extremely strong
    attitutde- hes a winner EOS

The Special one speaks:

Mourinho: Ronaldo Didn't Deserve Ballon d'Or

The coach chuckled at hearing the news Ronaldo won the prestigious award and he insists one of his players deserved it more...

Inter coach Jose Mourinho has stunned everyone with his response when asked to give his views on Cristiano Ronaldo's Ballon d'Or win.

The Manchester United ace scooped the award for his wonder season last term where he dragged his side to a Premier League and Champions League double.

Ronaldo became the third Portuguese player to have won the Golden Ball after Eusebio and Luis Figo but Mourinho scoffed at the achievement and he revealed he would have preferred to have seen someone else lift it.

Asked by Sky Italia about the Ronaldo win and whether he had any praise for the star, Mourinho said, "No, I would have preferred one of my own foreign players to have won the Ballon d'Or."

Inter are running away with the Serie A title given the six point gap between them and second place Juventus, but the coach is keeping his feet on the ground.

"The league still hasn't reached the halfway point and we cannot relax. We will continue to work hard everyday."

The coaches' words are likely to cause controversy around the world. The 'Special One' didn't even recognise his fellow countryman's achievement with praise.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1707/inter/2008/12/02/992157/mourinho-ronaldo-didnt-deserve-ballon-dor

• Advertisement
Advertisement