Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronaldo "I am the 1st, 2nd, 3rd best in world

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Pighead wrote: »
    Those 12 Messi goals have come against- Santandar, Gijon, Espanyol, Donetsk, Athletico Madrid, Basel, Malaga, Benidorm and Recreativo Huelva. How come we don't hear cries of "He only does it against the small teams" with regards to Mr Messi?

but that doesnt suit ppl who just randomly say Messi is better because not as many ppl watch la liga here. u and ur god damn facts. do u not see that the crux of this thread is to hate ronaldo and call him not as good as he actually is?!

its amazing considering how ppl just say "Messi" when eto'o has scored 16 goals so far this season and its the middle of November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Carturo

redout wrote: »
    Ronaldos season was a one off. Highly plausible it will not happen again. I remember a certain A Cole scored forty odd and got overly hyped. He never got near 40 again. Ronaldo scores 42 last year great. In his previous four seasons what did he really do ? He was a self obsessed selfer who still demonstrates some of that trait today. Think how many more goals United would have scored last year if instead of going for goal he actually passed to players in better positions. That there is one HUGE difference between Ronaldo and Messi. One is a team player through and through the other is a cocky gloryhunter. Is Ronaldo capable of beating Ashley Cole. I seem to remember every time against arsenal and chelsea the guy cannot seem to get past him probably the reason his record against both is so poor. Average defender is no problem for Ronaldo, top quality defender proves a problem for Ronaldo. Another Huge difference between himself and Messi who is capable of beating top class defenders and certainly had no problems doing it numerous times to Real Madrid and Man Utd last year who I beleive he tore to shreds. you asked for some differences as to why one is better and their is two. Messi can also shoot and does not fall down shot at the slightest knock.

What he did was score the goals when nobody else could towards the end of the season to win us the title in 2007.
    He's currently 2nd top scoreer having missed the first month of the season.
    Diving doesn't make someone a worse player. And everybody does it.

Just on the highlighted point. It's STUPID. You're sort of condemning him for scoring 42 goals. So we might have scored more but we won the leage and CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Ronaldos season was a one off. Highly plausible it will not happen again. I remember a certain A Cole scored forty odd and got overly hyped. He never got near 40 again. Ronaldo scores 42 last year great. In his previous four seasons what did he really do ? He was a self obsessed selfer who still demonstrates some of that trait today. Think how many more goals United would have scored last year if instead of going for goal he actually passed to players in better positions. That there is one HUGE difference between Ronaldo and Messi. One is a team player through and through the other is a cocky gloryhunter. Is Ronaldo capable of beating Ashley Cole. I seem to remember every time against arsenal and chelsea the guy cannot seem to get past him probably the reason his record against both is so poor. Average defender is no problem for Ronaldo, top quality defender proves a problem for Ronaldo. Another Huge difference between himself and Messi who is capable of beating top class defenders and certainly had no problems doing it numerous times to Real Madrid and Man Utd last year who I beleive he tore to shreds. you asked for some differences as to why one is better and their is two. Messi can also shoot and does not fall down shot at the slightest knock.

the year before that he scored more than messi?

the year before that? the same..

wait for it..

the year before that...the same...

so far this year having missed the start of the season

guess what??

thats right...he' scored more than messi....

a one off eh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Carturo wrote: »
    What he did was score the goals when nobody else could towards the end of the season to win us the title in 2007.
    He's currently 2nd top scoreer having missed the first month of the season.
    Diving doesn't make someone a worse player. And everybody does it.

Just on the highlighted point. It's STUPID. You're sort of condemning him for scoring 42 goals. So we might have scored more but we won the leage and CL.

What about the huge amount of times he missed. If in them situations he had passed then would we surely not have had a better outcome ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

Scored 23 goals from the wing the season before that, which would be a decent return from a £20M striker.

9 goals and 12 goals his first two seasons not too bad either, and iirc his assist record was much better for those three seasons, cant seem to find it now.

All in all consistantly improving performances.

9 goals already this year indicates its gonna be another good one.

Do you think Messi is suppose to score huge amounts of goals ? He is a playmaker. He will never score 42 as it is not him. He will do the work and lay on the killer pass for the team although he is more than capable.

Do you think Messi is suppose to score huge amounts of goals ? He is a playmaker. He will never score 42 as it is not him. He will do the work and lay on the killer pass for the team although he is more than capable.

do you think ronaldo is?

he's a winger.....

What about the huge amount of times he missed. If in them situations he had passed then would we surely not have had a better outcome ?

what about all the times messi missed?

if he was a better player than surley he would have a lot more chances on goal?

and is scoring less?

something doesn't add up

if every player scored everytime they had a chance they'd all be the best in the world

Ronaldo has 101 goals in about five and a half seasons at Man Utd. That works out at about 18 a season and lets bear in mind he scored nearly half his United career total in one season. So if not for his one off 42 his record would be no more than average.

• Advertisement

Ronaldo has 101 goals in about five and a half seasons at Man Utd. That works out at about 18 a season and lets bear in mind he scored nearly half his United career total in one season. So if not for his one off 42 his record would be no more than average.

and messi scored 54 in 5 years averaing at about 11?

your not helping yourself

ntlbell wrote: »
    and messi scored 54 in 5 years averaing at about 11?

your not helping yourself

In 160 LESS apperances so maybe you are not helping.

In 160 LESS apperances so maybe you are not helping.

for club it's 125 less

first your hammering roy keane

now your hammering ronaldo...

a common theme devloping here

why can't you just admit it?

i notice ye had nothing to say on what was posted earlier

23 years of age

Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year: 2006-2007
    Manchester United Players’ Player of the Year: 2006-2007
    European Footballer of the Year - Ballon d’Or 2nd place: 2007
    FIFPro World XI: 2006-2007
    FIFPro World XI: 2007-2008
    FIFPro World Player of the year: 2007-2008
    UEFA Club Forward of the year: 2008
    UEFA Club Footballer of the year: 2208
    UEFA Team of the Year: 2004, 2007
    PFA Players’ Player of the Year: 2007
    PFA Young Player of the Year: 2007
    PFA Fans’ Player of the Year: 2007
    PFA Premiership Team of the Year: 2005-2006, 2006-2007
    Barclays Player of the Season: 2006-2007
    Football Writers’ Association Award: 2007
    FIFA World Player of the Year: 3rd place: 2007
    FIFPro Special Young Player of the Year: 2005, 2006

PFA Fans' Player of the Year: 2008
    PFA Players' Player of the Year: 2008
    Barclays Player of the Season: 2007, 2008
    Barclays Golden Boot: 2007–08
    UEFA Golden Boot: 2207-2008
    Barclays Merit Award: 2008
    Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year: 2008
    Manchester United Players' Player of the Year: 2008
    Manchester United Goal of the Season: 2008

• One of only two players to have won both the PFA Players' Player of the Year and PFA Young Player of the Year awards in the same year, the other being Andy Gray in 1977.

• Also won the PFA Fans' Player of the Year award in 2007, becoming the first player to win all three Professional Footballers Association awards in one season.

• Only the third player in Premier League history to win back-to-back Barclays Player of the Month awards, and the first since the 1997-1998 season.

• Only the second player in the history of English football to be named both the Football Writers' Footballer of the Year and PFA Players' Player of the Year in successive seasons.

• Holds the Premier League record for most goals scored in one season by a midfielder, having scored 31 times during the 2007-2008 Premier League campaign.
    • Holds the joint Premier League record for most goals scored in a 38-game season (tied with Alan Shearer with 31 goals).

• One of only two players to feature in the PFA Premier League Team of the Year for the 2005-2006, 2006-2007, and 2007-2008 seasons, the other being Steven Gerrard.

• The only player to win Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year award 3 times: 2003-2004, 2006-2007, 2007-2008

• Holds the new club record for most goals scored by a winger, previously held by George Best

for club it's 125 less

first your hammering roy keane

now your hammering ronaldo...

a common theme devloping here

why can't you just admit it?

It is actually 128 but regardless that is more than double the amount of games Messi has played for Barcelona. If he was to keep scoring at the the rate of 54 in 125 games then he would have a better scoring record than Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yeah you're right. The above clearly makes Ronaldo > Messi.
    As ntlbell has already stated, my remarks weren't meant to be taken entirely seriously. It was a retort to smasheys post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

101 goals at 23
    Sounds nice enough.
    Now let him try that in a league where they put real goalkeepers in the goal.
    I mean... his 2 goals last Saturday for example were both complete cock ups from the goalkeeper.

They guy plays in a league with maybe 4 or 5 decent goalkeepers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

i wonder if ronaldo had spat at an opposition player, like messi did 2 weeks ago, what would the public reaction be?

inforfun wrote: »
    101 goals at 23
    Sounds nice enough.
    I mean... his 2 goals last Saturday for example were both complete cock ups from the goalkeeper.

oh now he's only good because he plays against bad keepers?

i've heard it all now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Far more complete player than Messi tbh. What can Messi do that he cant (apart from do an interview without people cringing)? Whereas Messi cant jump, header or out-muscle anyone.

I love the guy but every week he gets harder and harder to defend. He is a bit of a cock, but as ive said before, its his arrogance that sets him apart as a footballer, without it he wouldnt try half the stuff he does and only he can pull off.

He is a bollox off the pitch... But when he brings results on the pitch, thats all that matters.

Messi is a far better passer of the ball, he is much more intelligent when in a play makers role. He is better at drawing in defenders creating space for his team mates. Messi is a far better dribbler (maybe the greatest dribbler in the game). Both Messi and Ronaldo in their current positions require their acceleration to beat their man, but as that slowly fades I can see Messi slotting in as an AMF or even a CMF due to his intelligence and how he reads the game. Messi will also set up his team mates more often and more effectively than Ronaldo, and Messi is better with the ball at his feet.

Ronaldo's top speed is faster than Messi's no doubt (although I'm sure Messi has a quicker acceleration, he is almost faster with the ball at his feet, Ronaldo will always be a better goal scorer, he has a strikers instincts in the box. Ronaldo is better with both feet, he is physically more imposing. is much better in the air and has a more powerful strike. Ronaldo I don't think will be able to adapt as well after his pace is gone, unless he turns himself into a goal poaching striker like Nistelrooy (which is quite possible).

I also think that in a way Messi is the more direct of the two, Ronaldo likes to change direction by adding a little flick or a step over, whereas Messi relies more on the fact that the ball is always so close to his feet that he doesn't need to try and 'fool' the defender.
    Object of soccer.

Put the ball in the net.

A midfielder with 101 goals, at what- like 23?

He can say what he likes. Messi is a more complete player but putting the pigskin in the net- which is the object of the fecking game afterall. Ronaldo is better at that.

Messi isn't the more rounded player. Messi may have more of a special aura around him when he gets on the ball, but Ronaldo is clearly the more complete player of the two, considering Messi isn't the tallest and isn't nearly as good with his weak foot (almost irrelevant though, considering how good Messi is with the outside of his left foot).

Take into account Messi is two years younger than Ronaldo, and looking at their scoring stats since they have been professional athletes;

Messi - 125 games played, 54 goals, 28 assists.

Ronaldo - 284 games played, 101 goals, (don't have the assist info, if someone could post that it'd be lovely!)

As you can see, Messi games per goal ratio is actually better than Ronaldo's (obviously not if you just take the past 2 seasons). And considering Messi is two years younger, if you compare current Messi with Ronaldo of two seasons ago you can see Messi is well on top.

Over the past 2 seasons Ronaldo has been the better player, but I am quite sure that over the next 5 years it will be Messi that will etches his name into the legends list.

Oh, and listing Ronaldo's achievements as a reason to why he's better than Messi is sh*t iswell, especially considering Messi is 2 years younger;
    Barcelona
    La Liga: 2004-05, 2005-06
    Supercopa de España: 2005–06, 2006–07
    UEFA Champions League: 2005-06
    [edit]International
    FIFA U-20 World Cup: 2005
    2008 Summer Olympics - Gold medal
    [edit]Individual
    FIFA U-20 World Cup Top Scorer: 2005
    FIFA U-20 World Cup Most Valuable Player: 2005
    Copa America Young Player of the Tournament: 2007
    Player of the Year of Argentina: 2005, 2007
    Bravo Award: 2007
    EFE Trophy (Best Ibero-American Player in La Liga): 2006-07
    FIFPro World Young Player of the Year: 2006, 2007
    FIFPro Special Young Player of the Year: 2007
    FIFPro World XI: 2006–07, 2007-08
    Those 12 Messi goals have come against- Santandar, Gijon, Espanyol, Donetsk, Athletico Madrid, Basel, Malaga, Benidorm and Recreativo Huelva. How come we don't hear cries of "He only does it against the small teams" with regards to Mr Messi?

And Barcelona have played against;
    Numancia
    Racing Santander
    Gijon
    Betis
    Espanyol
    Atletico Madrid
    Bilbao
    Almeria
    Malaga
    Valladolid
    Recreativo
    Basel
    Shaktar
    Sporting.

Not bad considering he is averaging more than a goal a game (assists and goals), with the goals he scored against the best of the teams Barca have played so far. Shaktar for instance, Barca were 1-0 down until stoppage time, on comes Messi and he scored 2 leading the team to victory.

In his career he has scored against all the big teams in La Liga (bar Villareal I think), and he has also scored vital goals (away to Werder Bremen 2 seasons ago to salvage a point in stoppage time, without his goal Barca wouldn't have qualified in the K.O). Messi has also never missed a penalty (to my recollection).

Now I've never said Ronaldo only scores against small teams, but using that argument against Messi is flat out bullsh*t, last season he was basically the team, the most important player on the pitch, if Messi played badly Barca lost.

do you think ronaldo is?

he's a winger.....

Ronaldo is an out and out goal scoring winger, Messi is more of a creative play making winger who can also score goals. The comparison isn't as clear as just saying they are both wingers. Quote me on this at the end of the season - if you take Ronaldo's goals and assists this season and compare them to Messi's, I bet Messi will have more overall.

This debate is ridiculous anyway, everything I have posted has already been debated, and will be over the course of the next few seasons. The hate for Ronaldo does blind opposition fans from his extreme talent, and the love people have for Messi seems to add an extra bit of bias to his qualities. We should just sit back and appreciate both these fantastic players.

event wrote: »
    i wonder if ronaldo had spat at an opposition player, like messi did 2 weeks ago, what would the public reaction be?

Ronaldo does not care to much for public reaction.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/4512908.stm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,129 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The fact is if the refs ruled the game right and Ronaldo got a yellow card for every dive he done how many games would he actually finish.

Messi is a greater team player and his influence on a game is far superior and far more attractive than that little portugeezer.

eZe^ wrote: »
    Messi is a far better passer of the ball, he is much more intelligent when in a play makers role. He is better at drawing in defenders creating space for his team mates. Messi is a far better dribbler (maybe the greatest dribbler in the game). Both Messi and Ronaldo in their current positions require their acceleration to beat their man, but as that slowly fades I can see Messi slotting in as an AMF or even a CMF due to his intelligence and how he reads the game. Messi will also set up his team mates more often and more effectively than Ronaldo, and Messi is better with the ball at his feet.

Ronaldo's top speed is faster than Messi's no doubt (although I'm sure Messi has a quicker acceleration, he is almost faster with the ball at his feet, Ronaldo will always be a better goal scorer, he has a strikers instincts in the box. Ronaldo is better with both feet, he is physically more imposing. is much better in the air and has a more powerful strike. Ronaldo I don't think will be able to adapt as well after his pace is gone, unless he turns himself into a goal poaching striker like Nistelrooy (which is quite possible).

I also think that in a way Messi is the more direct of the two, Ronaldo likes to change direction by adding a little flick or a step over, whereas Messi relies more on the fact that the ball is always so close to his feet that he doesn't need to try and 'fool' the defender.

Messi isn't the more rounded player. Messi may have more of a special aura around him when he gets on the ball, but Ronaldo is clearly the more complete player of the two, considering Messi isn't the tallest and isn't nearly as good with his weak foot (almost irrelevant though, considering how good Messi is with the outside of his left foot).

Take into account Messi is two years younger than Ronaldo, and looking at their scoring stats since they have been professional athletes;

Messi - 125 games played, 54 goals, 28 assists.

Ronaldo - 284 games played, 101 goals, (don't have the assist info, if someone could post that it'd be lovely!)

As you can see, Messi games per goal ratio is actually better than Ronaldo's (obviously not if you just take the past 2 seasons). And considering Messi is two years younger, if you compare current Messi with Ronaldo of two seasons ago you can see Messi is well on top.

Over the past 2 seasons Ronaldo has been the better player, but I am quite sure that over the next 5 years it will be Messi that will etches his name into the legends list.

Oh, and listing Ronaldo's achievements as a reason to why he's better than Messi is sh*t iswell, especially considering Messi is 2 years younger;
    Barcelona
    La Liga: 2004-05, 2005-06
    Supercopa de España: 2005–06, 2006–07
    UEFA Champions League: 2005-06
    [edit]International
    FIFA U-20 World Cup: 2005
    2008 Summer Olympics - Gold medal
    [edit]Individual
    FIFA U-20 World Cup Top Scorer: 2005
    FIFA U-20 World Cup Most Valuable Player: 2005
    Copa America Young Player of the Tournament: 2007
    Player of the Year of Argentina: 2005, 2007
    Bravo Award: 2007
    EFE Trophy (Best Ibero-American Player in La Liga): 2006-07
    FIFPro World Young Player of the Year: 2006, 2007
    FIFPro Special Young Player of the Year: 2007
    FIFPro World XI: 2006–07, 2007-08

And Barcelona have played against;
    Numancia
    Racing Santander
    Gijon
    Betis
    Espanyol
    Atletico Madrid
    Bilbao
    Almeria
    Malaga
    Valladolid
    Recreativo
    Basel
    Shaktar
    Sporting.

Not bad considering he is averaging more than a goal a game (assists and goals), with the goals he scored against the best of the teams Barca have played so far. Shaktar for instance, Barca were 1-0 down until stoppage time, on comes Messi and he scored 2 leading the team to victory.

In his career he has scored against all the big teams in La Liga (bar Villareal I think), and he has also scored vital goals (away to Werder Bremen 2 seasons ago to salvage a point in stoppage time, without his goal Barca wouldn't have qualified in the K.O). Messi has also never missed a penalty (to my recollection).

Now I've never said Ronaldo only scores against small teams, but using that argument against Messi is flat out bullsh*t, last season he was basically the team, the most important player on the pitch, if Messi played badly Barca lost.

Ronaldo is an out and out goal scoring winger, Messi is more of a creative play making winger who can also score goals. The comparison isn't as clear as just saying they are both wingers. Quote me on this at the end of the season - if you take Ronaldo's goals and assists this season and compare them to Messi's, I bet Messi will have more overall.

This debate is ridiculous anyway, everything I have posted has already been debated, and will be over the course of the next few seasons. The hate for Ronaldo does blind opposition fans from his extreme talent, and the love people have for Messi seems to add an extra bit of bias to his qualities. We should just sit back and appreciate both these fantastic players.

fantastic post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

Remember Champions league Semi-Final

Ronaldo - Penalty Miss

Remember Champions league Final

Ronaldo - Penalty Miss

Both times choked under immense pressure. His penalty in the final was nothing short of a disgrace. To try what he did against arguably one of the top keepers in the world in the biggest club match in the world is ludicrous and his cockiness got the better of him on the biggest occasion of them all. Lucky for him JT ****ed up.

very very good point, always wondered how much of a villian ronaldo would have been if united had have lost that shoot-out!

Messi is a greater team player and his influence on a game is far superior and far more attractive than that little portugeezer.

Messi is a greater team player - Yes.

His influence is far superior - not at all. Messi's influence may be superior considering he like to dictate the tempo of the game, drop into midfield, play some passes, help the defense. But overall Ronaldo is a bigger goal threat, so if Ronaldo does nothing for 90 mins but scores a goal, whereas Messi works his ass off but doesn't contribute to a goal and Barce lose, who has the bigger influence?

101 goals at 23
    Sounds nice enough.

Just when I thought it couldn't get more ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

eZe^ wins the thread with his 1st post

Ronaldo played for Sporting CP. Benfica's biggest rivals. He's not the only one guilty of gesturing to the crowd - Fat Carragher, Drogba, Bellamy, the Neviller....what's your point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,129 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

His influence is far superior - not at all. Messi's influence may be superior considering he like to dictate the tempo of the game, drop into midfield, play some passes, help the defense. But overall Ronaldo is a bigger goal threat, so if Ronaldo does nothing for 90 mins but scores a goal, whereas Messi works his ass off but doesn't contribute to a goal and Barce lose, who has the bigger influence?
    Nice deletion/avoidance of the first point.

I'd rather have a player that will work for 90 minutes to ensure that all aspects of the team are operating correctly, than a glory hunter that'll pop up at the end score and then claim he is the reason they won.

But then again I am an Arsenal fan so maybe thats where I got it from.

which is worse?

If Ronnie said this I'm sure it would've been posted earlier.

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=456725

• Advertisement

So his influence is not greater even though you are implying that if he plays badly Barca lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Ronaldo shouldnt be in the premiership.

He makes **** of fantasy football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Hey I'm not saying Messi isn't a fantastic player. I'm just pointing out to all the "Ronaldo doesn't score against big teams" brigade that there is an argument to say that neither does Messi.

Apart from Barca, last seasons top 4 in Spain were Real Madrid, Villareal, and Athletico Madrid. In league and cups, Barca played against those sides eight times. In those eight games, Messi scored just one goal.

eddiehead wrote: »
    eZe^ wins the thread with his 1st post

Do I get a prize? :pac:
    Nice deletion/avoidance of the first point.

I'd rather have a player that will work for 90 minutes to ensure that all aspects of the team are operating correctly, than a glory hunter that'll pop up at the end score and then claim he is the reason they won.

But then again I am an Arsenal fan so maybe thats where I got it from.

Fair enough if you'd prefer that, I'm the same, but all I'm saying is that in that situation, it would go down as Ronaldo scoring the winning goal, and Barcelona losing.

I'm a Barcelona fan, who do you think I prefer? I just think that maybe because you're an Arsenal fan, you love to hate C.Ronaldo, because you know how talented he is, and his one major flaw (being an absolute c*ck), means that you can easily downplay his achievements because of his personality.
    So his influence is not greater even though you are implying that if he plays badly Barca lose.

That was more to do with last season. And again, I'm not trying to detract from Messi's qualities, he is clearly my favourite player (maybe of all time), I just think it's sad that opposition fans let their pure hatred for the guy completely skew their opinion on his talent (even though he's a twat).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Far more complete player than Messi tbh. What can Messi do that he cant (apart from do an interview without people cringing)?
    Messi's a much better creater of goals imo. Ronaldo is world class at most things but ask him to get his head up and thread a through ball and there's plenty better players out there.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Messi's a much better creater of goals imo. Ronaldo is world class at most things but ask him to get his head up and thread a through ball and there's plenty better players out there.

Crosas for example? :pac: He back from injury yet. I miss him (even though he never really played for us).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

As ntlbell has already stated, my remarks weren't meant to be taken entirely seriously. It was a retort to smasheys post.
    And a might good retort it was too. :)

Do I get a prize? :pac:

Prize? Bah! You won the thread, what greater distinction is there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Carturo wrote: »
    Just when I thought it couldn't get more ridiculous.
    oh now he's only good because he plays against bad keepers?

i've heard it all now..

No, you both are right. There are fantastic goalkeepers in the Premier League.

You will not hear me say he is a bad player but he is not half as good as he thinks he is.
    Put him in the Serie A against decent defenders and decent goalkeepers and he ll be lucky to score 50% of what he scores now.

• Advertisement

You will not hear me say he is a bad player but he is not half as good as he thinks he is.
    Put him in the Serie A against decent defenders and decent goalkeepers and he ll be lucky to score 50% of what he scores now.

Strange that, the Italian teams seem to be leaking goals like a 90 year nun does to her knickers over the last few years. :pac:

That must be what was wrong with Shevchenko:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

What a hero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

In fairness lads have a bit of perspective here. I hate Ronnie as much as the next man but even I will admit that he is a class act when he wants to be.

Yes he has moments, sometimes lasting the full 90mins, of pure self indulgence and he is a complete diver but remind me again what is the object of this game we all love? Is it to defend a 0-0 all draw every match? No, its to score goals.

Like it or not last year he won the league and CL double scoring 42 goals along the way. Now I don't care how many were against the West Broms of this world or the Chelsea's of this world but 42 is a hell of a lot to score at the top level of football. Didn't everyone say when Larson scored 50 for Celtic "yeah buts its a micky mouse league" yet somehow he was an absolute legend for it. Ok he is a very likeable bloke but Ronaldo's wasn't far off that tally.

He is the pinacle of arrogance but so too was Stoichkov yet he was loved for what he did with a ball. If he didn't have the cocky swagger he wouldn't do half of what he does on the pitch. I'm not escaping the fact that he was 1 kick away from no CL medal or 90mins away from no League medel but his scoring record would still have stood.

Lets also not escape the fact that this article was taken completely out of context from the Real loving Marca and isn't that the team he didn't go too? Sour grapes and anything for a go I think!!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Completely tongue in cheek, he's simply saying it to take the piss. Like in the interview at the wknd about his Welbeck comment. I think he just loves stirring it and with the amount of **** papers, in particular MArca, i hope he keeps filling them up with ****. It'll makes reading threads like this one all the better.

Pighead loved the comment about Ronnie vs Messi and the Semi-final/Final, made me laugh no end, ta!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

double post. ooopsy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

yea its all tongue in cheek, he is actually a lovely fella :rolleyes:

simple fact is, he goes on like this all the time, he said something quite similar the other week where he said it would be a farce if he didnt win the award. now he is right, but its arrogant as **** for him to say it!

amazing player, but the bloke has no class. this is pretty much just a fact to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

So he's an arsehole, who cares?

We don't even know if he is or isn't. It wouldn't be a surprise either way.

He's still the same lad who needed to his mum to come over with him.

And I'd not disagree with claims he's best in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

the biggest game in the world?

what makes it any bigger than united v chelsea champiosn league final?

Because they are both feeder clubs for Real Madrid? :pac:

It's a daft exercise. C Ronaldo is without doubt the best quality player out there - it's just that he has no class whatsoever. And that's why people get wound up.

Quality, but no class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Messi and Ronaldo are both excellent players.
    Ronaldo is probably the more complete footballer though.
    He has two good feet ,is fast,strong,good in the air,has a good engine,isnt injury prone, and has a pretty good football brain.
    Off the pitch obviously he is as thick as a plank.

Messi is completely one footed,albeit a great foot, is blisteringly fast,has a better footballing brain but he is injury prone and not as good a finisher.

All I know is that if I was a defender I wouldnt want either of those 2 guys running at me .

Mr Alan wrote: »
    yea its all tongue in cheek, he is actually a lovely fella :rolleyes:

simple fact is, he goes on like this all the time, he said something quite similar the other week where he said it would be a farce if he didnt win the award. now he is right, but its arrogant as **** for him to say it!

amazing player, but the bloke has no class. this is pretty much just a fact to be honest.

well no, its not pretty much a fact

its an opinion

• Advertisement
Advertisement