Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronaldo "I am the 1st, 2nd, 3rd best in world

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

So what if he only scores against weaker teams? (not saying that this is the case, just a response to those who say he does)
    This is what's made United so good over the last few years, they are able to put away the weaker teams week in week out. That's why Arsenal are 4th this season (they've lost to Hull, Stoke and Fulham (and Villa, but I don't consider them a weak team!:D)) and haven't won a premiership in 4 years, and why Liverpool have won a premiership in, like, forever (although they are up there this year).
    The ability to beat weaker teams week in week out seems to be under valued, and this is one thing that Ronaldo is really good at.

Oh and for the record I think he's a c0cky so and so, but a very talented one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

For all Ronaldo's 23 goals the season before last the worlds football coaches and International captains selected Messi ahead of Ronaldo in the FIFA World Player of the Year 2007. Another point to note with all this waffling on about individual awards is that Ronaldo's two FIFPro young player of the year awards where the fans award and not the actual FIFPro young player of the year award which was awarded to Messi the past two seasons and which Ronaldo has never won. So from what I gather Messi has been thought of in a higher regard by his own peers than Ronaldo in the biggest FIFA award. So if people are going to talk crap about individual awards well then at least get your facts straight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Cheeky cocky bollox!
    1st 2nd 3rd

redout wrote: »
    For all Ronaldo's 23 goals the season before last the worlds football coaches and International captains selected Messi ahead of Ronaldo in the FIFA World Player of the Year 2007. Another point to note with all this waffling on about individual awards is that Ronaldo's two FIFPro young player of the year awards where the fans award and not the actual FIFPro young player of the year award which was awarded to Messi the past two seasons and which Ronaldo has never won. So from what I gather Messi has been thought of in a higher regard by his own peers than Ronaldo in the biggest FIFA award. So if people are going to talk crap about individual awards well then at least get your facts straight.

It's a team game. Who cares about individual awards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Ronaldo won the FIFPro World Player of the Year for 2007-08. Why are you banging on about last season and young player of the year awards and failing to mention this?

Pighead wrote: »
    Ronaldo won the FIFPro World Player of the Year for 2007-08. Why are you banging on about last season and young player of the year awards and failing to mention this?

I was not the one who thought it relevant the bring up individual awards but others did. I am merely pointing out the facts about the awards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I was not the one who thought it relevant the bring up individual awards but others did. I am merely pointing out the facts about the awards.
    Yeah but you said that because Messi had won the FIFPro Young Player of the Year award and Ronaldo hadn't this showed that his peers had more respect for Messi. But you failed to mention that Ronaldo's peers voted him the FIFPro SENIOR Player of the Year! ie an award better than Messi's Young Player Award. Your post makes absolutely no sense young man!

Pighead wrote: »

That would be because it is already mentioned about three times in this thread and there for everyone to see. It was also not relevant to the point which I was making clear about the FIFPro young player award and the FIFA award. I did not say peers and FIFPro award. If you took the the time to read I said peers and the FIFA world player of the year award. But sure at the end of the day both the FIFPro and FIFA awards are somewhat flawed as it is not an open award and winners have to be selected from a small drawn up list of players. Do we really need awards to know who is the best ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

That would be because it is already mentioned about three times in this thread and there for everyone to see. I did not say peers and FIFPro award. If you took the the time to read I said peers and the Fifa world player of the year award.

Do you dispute that Ronaldo was the best player in Europe last season? If so, what are you basing it on?

He was top scorer in the premier league with 31 goals and top scorer in the champions league with 8 goals. He was an integral part of the united team that won the league and champions league double.

At this point I think you're either trolling or just have no idea what you're talking about. Either way I'm done with this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Ronaldos season was a one off.

How the Fúck do you know? Or is redout an alias for Mystic Meg?
    I remember a certain A Cole scored forty odd and got overly hyped.

All-time top scorers in the Premier League

1st. Shearer 260
    2nd. Cole 187
    3rd. Henry 174
    4th. Fowler 161
    5th. Ferdinand 150

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Iago wrote: »

At this point I think you're either trolling or just have no idea what you're talking about.

ill put 5eu on the latter.

ronaldo is the best player in the world atm. i hate him, i hate the team he plays for, i wish he was terrible.. but unfortunately this is not the case as HE IS OFFICIALLY THE BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD

i know you dont like it redout, not many do.. but to say messi is better 'just cos' is a bit silly. maybe next year or the year after messi will get the award. but he didnt. ronaldo did.

Boggles wrote: »

1st. Shearer 260
    2nd. Cole 187
    3rd. Henry 174
    4th. Fowler 161
    5th. Ferdinand 150

lol yeah i saw that too and was a bit "this guy has no clue".

pffft a measly 187 goals in the top division. messi would score 4000 cos hes deadly and the spanish league is obviously better then the PL... ya know 'just cos'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

ntlbell wrote: »
    do you think ronaldo is?

he's a winger.....

Lol he's not a winger and you're kidding yourself if you think he is.

He's essentially a corner forward in a three man forward line, similar to the Gah if you will. His job, unlike a conventional winger in a 4-4-2, is not to defend. He has three central midfielders to do that. I don't think his goal figures would be so high if he was a conventional winger.

Having said that he is fantastic to watch when in full flight and fully deserves the plaudits.
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    yea its all tongue in cheek, he is actually a lovely fella :rolleyes:

simple fact is, he goes on like this all the time, he said something quite similar the other week where he said it would be a farce if he didnt win the award. now he is right, but its arrogant as **** for him to say it!

amazing player, but the bloke has no class. this is pretty much just a fact to be honest.

See Al this is why you're up for all those awards.

As far as I can see Ronaldo make a joking comment. Yes it may be a small bit of arrogance but so what? It doesn't make him a wanker. He was having a bit of a laugh with reporters and made a throwaway comment. Whoop dee fucking do. If I was being touted as the greatest player on the planet I'd have a bit of a smile on my face too.

And let's face it, if he is being arrogant at least he can back it up with performances on the pitch.

How the Fúck do you know? Or is redout an alias for Mystic Meg?

1st. Shearer 260
    2nd. Cole 187
    3rd. Henry 174
    4th. Fowler 161
    5th. Ferdinand 150
    Jazzy wrote: »
    lol yeah i saw that too and was a bit "this guy has no clue".

pffft a measly 187 goals in the top division. messi would score 4000 cos hes deadly and the spanish league is obviously better then the PL... ya know 'just cos'

Oh yes Andy Cole who had a one off 40 goal season with Newcastle and never again came close to reaching them heights in his next eight seasons with Man Utd and following seasons with any club. He is the second top scorer in premiership history which I am well aware of but I was making the point about the forty goal season so if you two are stupid enough not to realise that then I feel sorry for both of you.

Another point is that a certain Ronaldo will never come close to that tally as he will no doubt be gone in the next couple of years. If United dont offer him a pay increase he will sit for another two years knowing then United have to sell him or else he will walk for nothing in the final year of his contract.

Lastly I started this thread and incase people failed to read the title it is not a Ronaldo vs Messi thread and I certainly did not intend it to be. The first poster started it off and the thing spread like wildfire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Lol he's not a winger and you're kidding yourself if you think he is.

He's essentially a corner forward in a three man forward line, similar to the Gah if you will. His job, unlike a conventional winger in a 4-4-2, is not to defend. He has three central midfielders to do that. I don't think his goal figures would be so high if he was a conventional winger.

He was bought to be a winger.

he plays on the wings.

will i draw a diagram?

He was bought to be a winger.

he plays on the wings.

will i draw a diagram?

*sigh*

If you want to black and white it like that then fair enough.

There's a reason why wingers in a 4-4-2 never bang in that many goals and there's a reason why corner forwards in a 4-3-3 get so many. You don't think there's a difference in the positions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Sorry, a position is not defined by how much tracking back you do. It's defined by the position you tend to be in without the ball.

With the ball, Ronaldo can go anywhere. Without the ball, Ronaldo plays on the right wing. He drops back to get the ball and then carries it forward. He rarely leads the line when the ball is in defence, he drops to get the ball.

He's not a conventional winger. Neither is Messi. Neither of them have ever been described as conventional.
    That doesn't mean he's not a winger. He does everything a winger does, he just does it much much much much better. Not tracking back doesn't make him a striker or a corner forward. His off the ball position and movement is that of a winger.

United don't play a 4-3-3. They play a 4-2-3-1. Ronaldo doesn't have to track back, no doubt. But he doesn't play at the front. In FM terms, he'd be an attacking midfielder right sided set to all out attack.

but I was making the point about the forty goal season so if you two are stupid enough not to realise that then I feel sorry for both of you.

im afraid im stupid enough to realise that cole also got a number of PL medals and had a brilliant partnership with Yorke during that late 90's period. he was an absolute top player for his club (watever about his England career) and scored nearly a hundred goals in his utd career.

but we arent talking about cole... we are talking about Ronaldo.
    the guy who scored all them goals last season and has scored 8 goals from 9 appearances so far this season.
    but no, i forgot - u hate him and think hes a tw@t.. therefore he cant be as good as all those medals an awards make him and messi is clearly better cos messi is a nice guy. and they say cristiano has his head in his arse?

*sigh*

If you want to black and white it like that then fair enough.

There's a reason why wingers in a 4-4-2 never bang in that many goals and there's a reason why corner forwards in a 4-3-3 get so many. You don't think there's a difference in the positions?

but he's not a corner forward?

where does he mostly pick the ball up from?

the wings? usually....

as phb has said he doesn't hold a forwards line

he's a winger...

• Advertisement

Ronaldo might appear on the team sheet out on the wing but ferguson himself has said he has freedom to roam anywhere unlike say Henry at Barca who is told to stick to the left wing.

but he's not a corner forward?

where does he mostly pick the ball up from?

the wings? usually....

as phb has said he doesn't hold a forwards line

he's a winger...

Fair enough. However had United been playing a conventional 4-4-2 then he would never have scored 40 goals as his defensive responsibilities would have been greater. He wouldn't have had 2 defensive type midfielders to do it for him.

Put it this way - if Ronaldo was in the 1999 team he wouldn't have banged in the same amount. Football has changed in the last decade and he has benefitted from it.

Fair enough. However had United been playing a conventional 4-4-2 then he would never have scored 40 goals as his defensive responsibilities would have been greater. He wouldn't have had 2 defensive typre midfielders to do it for him.

but when the oposing team have the ball he's usually in a wingers position?

he just stands there and watches them go by tho..

Jazzy wrote: »
    but no, i forgot - u hate him and think hes a tw@t.. therefore he cant be as good as all those medals an awards make him and messi is clearly better cos messi is a nice guy. and they say cristiano has his head in his arse?

I would not know if he is a nice guy or not as I have never met the bloke but you clearly seem to think he is. Now who is the mystic one ?

Fair enough. However had United been playing a conventional 4-4-2 then he would never have scored 40 goals as his defensive responsibilities would have been greater. He wouldn't have had 2 defensive type midfielders to do it for him.

Put it this way - if Ronaldo was in the 1999 team he wouldn't have banged in the same amount. Football has changed in the last decade and he has benefitted from it.

I don't see how he wouldn't have scored as many?

i think he would of had more freedom as there was roy to clean up all his mess ;)

i'd be alot more comofortable with him not defedning with roy there than carrick

but when the oposing team have the ball he's usually in a wingers position?

he just stands there and watches them go by tho..

Fuck me. Are you sure you're not really a Newcastle fan with all this black and white?

Ok I'll simplify my point - wingers defend more in a 4-4-2 than they do in the current United system.

• Advertisement

Fuck me. Are you sure you're not really a Newcastle fan with all this black and white?

Ok I'll simplify my point - wingers defend more in a 4-4-2 than they do in the current United system.

but the reason he doesn't defend has nothing to do with the formation?

fergie doesn't want him running back apparently and is happy for him to stay out on the wing so when possesion is won back he can do what he does best get the ball out on the wing in space and run at defenders?

what has his defeding got to do with 442?

but the reason he doesn't defend has nothing to do with the formation?

fergie doesn't want him running back apparently and is happy for him to stay out on the wing so when possesion is won back he can do what he does best get the ball out on the wing in space and run at defenders?

what has his defeding got to do with 442?

I'm not sure how much more I can explain this.

United used to play a standard 4-4-2. Midfield of -

Beckham----Keane----Scholes----Giggs

Every one of those players was given a responsibilty to defend. Yorke and Cole were left up top. Conventional 4-4-2.

Now Ferguson uses a formation that revolves around one central striker, say Berbatov. Berbatov needs support and that comes from the attacking wingers on either side. If he didn't have that constant support he would be isolated.

That's the fundamental difference - Beckham and Giggs had a responsibility to defend whereas Ronaldo doesn't have to as he has three midfielders behind him to do that. Hence my point about Ronaldo not scoring as many in the 99 team.

Tactics (and Ferguson) had a massive part ot play in the 40-goal season.

Barcelona employ the same system. Henry and Messi rarely, if ever, defend. That job is left to the central three of Toure, Xavi and Iniesta.

Every one of those players was given a responsibilty to defend. Yorke and Cole were left up top. Conventional 4-4-2.

Now Ferguson uses a formation that revolves around one central striker, say Berbatov. Berbatov needs support and that comes from the attacking wingers on either side. If he didn't have that constant support he would be isolated.

That's the fundamental difference - Beckham and Giggs had a responsibility to defend whereas Ronaldo doesn't have to as he has three midfielders behind him to do that. Hence my point about Ronaldo not scoring as many in the 99 team.

when giggs was in his prime there was lots of matches where his defensive responisiblites where let go and was given pretty much the same roll ronaldo has now

there's no point giving someone like beckham that freedom because he cant do what ronaldo can do so it's really a mute point

i guarntee if ronaldo was around in 99 he would of had a free reign

sure we didn't have any defense on the right side anyway as beckham couldn't defend if his life dependant on it and players went past him with such ease it worked out pretty much as it does today

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Ronaldo scores a s**t load of goals. Becoming very consistant at it. He has qualities that ANY fan would love one of their current team players to have. He doesn't ooze class. In my opinion, he lies at the other end of that spectrum. Fans of other teams desperately want him to fail and if he does soon it'll be deemed as Karma for being as arrogant as he is. Since he's showing no signs of stopping his scoring spree fans try to find another way to talk him down and atm, I don't think there's alot of ways to do that bar commenting on his diving, (which more and more footballers are doing), and his arrogance.
    I think he's great at doing what he's paid to do - no questions. He wins games for united and if he were to be sold in january, (which I know there's not a hope of it happening), I don't think United would have much of a hope of winning the league.
    Looking at it a different way, it's his arrogance that gets him alot of his goals too. Shooting instead of passing, taking every free kick he can get his hands on and running at goal at every opportunity as it may result in him scoring because, (as far as he's concerned), he's the best.
    Personally, I don't have any respect for the way he carries himself on/off the pitch. As I said before, I see no class in him so I could never respect him but his immense talent is obvious and that can't be denied by anybody. Trying to think of other people who are better than him is just another attempt to knock him however there's no denying he's in the top 3 players. That's not the point though. I think all Man U fans would prefer it if he exercised a little restraint when it comes to gloating and most other fans would prefer him to continue the way he is so they feel they have something bad to say about him.

Let look behind the magic door and see what Eamon thinks of Ronaldo...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Horrible fella.

I remember seeing him being interviewed at some awards show a few months back along with Rio and Anderson I think. They were asked who is the greatest player of all time. Rio said Maradona, Anderson said Pele and of course fvckface said "I am":rolleyes: Thought it very disrespectful and I have never had the urge to punch somebody in the face more.

Of course he is a tremendously talented footballer but he is so easy to hate. Talent wise he could go down amongst the greatest but I think it says a lot about his attitude that he never will imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

He would score a bucket load in any team. Had he been in the 99 team, whether it be by directive of Ferguson, or his own free will, he wouldn't have defended as much as Beckham or Giggs, but would of contributed to the attack much more.

Anyways, Beckham's defense wasn't amazing. Didn't matter then though. He had a good right foot and sold shirts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

when giggs was in his prime there was lots of matches where his defensive responisiblites where let go and was given pretty much the same roll ronaldo has now

One of the best aspects of Ryan Giggs game is that if he loses the ball he tries his hardest to get it back. Fergie has even said so himself. His tenaciousness is a big bonus.
    Maybe not so much anymore now that the legs are going, but certainly in his prime.

Barcelona employ the same system. Henry and Messi rarely, if ever, defend. That job is left to the central three of Toure, Xavi and Iniesta.

Just because United don't play the convential 4-4-2 like 99 doesn't mean they are less defensive, that old cliche attack been the best defense, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

There is no doubt Ronaldo has immense talent he does have a few flaws too.

As Xavi has been pointing out he just simply does not defend, Rooney up front tracks back more than he does!

(im probably going to get slated for this) but he really isn't a big game player, I can never remember him really playing out of his skin in the big games. yeah he scored in the CL final, but maybe my memory is fading on me but i cant remember him doing much other than that.

As Xavi has been pointing out he just simply does not defend

Ferguson does not want him defending, as I pointed out someway in jest above, if he is the outball under pressure is that not the best way to defend? Also he does defend at set pieces.

I have to giggle when you say he is not a big game player but in the same sentance state yourself he scored in the CL final.

What in your opinion is a big game?

There is no doubt Ronaldo has immense talent he does have a few flaws too.

As Xavi has been pointing out he just simply does not defend, Rooney up front tracks back more than he does!

(im probably going to get slated for this) but he really isn't a big game player, I can never remember him really playing out of his skin in the big games. yeah he scored in the CL final, but maybe my memory is fading on me but i cant remember him doing much other than that.

the thing people don't seem to understand and i'm not sure if you seen the interview with berbtov when he was asked why he doesn't run around like a headless chicken trying to defend is ferguson simply doesn't ask him to do it.

do you think with what ferguson has done in the game would stand for someone not defending it he demanded it? do you think match after match ferguson is slating ronaldo OR berbo for not defending? do you honeslty think they would be there first name on the team sheet week in week out if they were not doing what was askef of them by one of the most sucessfull mangers in the world? really?

players for alex ferguson do what their told or they're gone no if's buts or maybe's no matter who you are.

if you think anything else your just deluded.

when two huge teams meet there's very rarley a player than stands out for playing real well for the game as they just tend to cancel each other out with quality

so it usually comes down to a moment of magic or freaky goal or a set peice.

it's very very very rare one player runs a team ragged when the big guns meet ye you can point out the odd one like mess's hat trick against real madrid but it's a rarity not standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Ferguson does not want him defending, as I pointed out someway in jest above, if he is the outball under pressure is that not the best way to defend? Also he does defend at set pieces.

I have to giggle when you say he is not a big game player but in the same sentance state yourself he scored in the CL final.

What in your opinion is a big game?

Vladimir Smicer scored in a champions league final, do you count him as a big game player ?

Lets look at the goal:

Wes Brown deserves more credit for that goal than Ronaldo, it was perfect cross, an unmarked Ronaldo barely moved for it. Was a fairly decent header, but its hardly conclusive evidence he's a big game player?

Lets also remember he missed a penalty in the shootout, A poor penalty he took in some stupid unorthodox manor, probably doing his best to show off.
    Would you be as happy with his contribution to the game If Terry didn't have the balance of a 2 legged gazelle?

Prove me wrong, tell me about a game against one of the big teams where Ronaldo played out of his skin?

@ntlbell:
    Zidane - 1998 world cup final
    Rivaldo - Barcelona V Valencia (barca needed to win to qualify for the CL)
    Gerrard - Fa cup final against West Ham
    A less glamorous, more recent example
    Mascherano - played superb against United in september

If Ronaldo is the best player in the world why cant he produce performances on par to the above in the big games?

Berbatov plays up front, you've spent the last 2 pages arguing that Ronaldo plays on the wing, which is in midfield, there is a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

This guy is full of himself. Love United but hate this tosser.

http://www.marca.com/edicion/marca/futbol/internacional/es/desarrollo/1184789.html

The title is a translation of what he said. This is the second time he has said this about 2-3 weeks ago on sky camera's he said the same thing be it in jest or not this guy is a fool.

sorry to go back 10 pages, but this thread loses all credibility as soon as somebody links to marca tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Babybing wrote: »
    Horrible fella.

I remember seeing him being interviewed at some awards show a few months back along with Rio and Anderson I think. They were asked who is the greatest player of all time. Rio said Maradona, Anderson said Pele and of course fvckface said "I am":rolleyes: Thought it very disrespectful and I have never had the urge to punch somebody in the face more.

Jesus christ.....

Hey and did you see recently he said of Danny Welbeck: "he scored a good goal, it wasn't as good as mine though!"

WHAT A C*NT!!!!!! :eek:

Honestly some of you people are pathetic beyond belief. I can't believe someone started a thread about this. It really is the saddest thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I hope that was sarcastic, cos the Welbeck comment was. ;)

I'm actually starting to like him again. I'd love to be that assured of my value. He's brilliant, and he knows it. He's not arrogant because he can back up what he says. I think it's great that there's no clichés, no faked respect, just genuine out and out confidence. The guy's a superb player, and he's happy to have the world acknowledge that. Fúck the begrudgery. ^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Far more complete player than Messi tbh. What can Messi do that he cant (apart from do an interview without people cringing)? Whereas Messi cant jump, header or out-muscle anyone.

I love the guy but every week he gets harder and harder to defend. He is a bit of a cock, but as ive said before, its his arrogance that sets him apart as a footballer, without it he wouldnt try half the stuff he does and only he can pull off.

He is a bollox off the pitch... But when he brings results on the pitch, thats all that matters.

His arrogance that sets him apart.

Yeah, like Messi, Pele, Torres, Ballack, Gerrard, Van Basten, RVN, Keane, Zidane, Romario, Cafu, Kaka, Maldini, Platini, Gullit, Henry, Cruyff, Beckenbaur, Zico, Daglish, Bobby Charlton, Souness, Batistuta, Heighway, Larrson, Nedved, Shevchenko, Keegan, Rush, Desailly, Seedorf, Del Piero, Viera.

Oh wait, they're not all stuck up arogant s***s who think themselves above the club.

Ronaldo is a great player, because he is a great player.

He is a s**t, because he is a s**t.
    Plain and simple.

Just like Rivaldo for instance, it's something he has in him.
    His arogance is down to his personality, not becuse you have to be a prick to be a success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

kryogen wrote: »
    sorry to go back 10 pages, but this thread loses all credibility as soon as somebody links to marca tbh

And if you'd read down about 5 posts on that first page, you'd have seen this.
    Ok take it from here then. ABC is one of the biggest newspapers in Spain.

http://www.abc.es/20081117/deportes-futbol/cristiano-ronaldo-primero-segundo-200811171641.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,448 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

His arrogance that sets him apart.

Yeah, like Messi, Pele, Torres, Ballack, Gerrard, Van Basten, RVN, Keane, Zidane, Romario, Cafu, Kaka, Maldini, Platini, Gullit, Henry, Cruyff, Beckenbaur, Zico, Daglish, Bobby Charlton, Souness, Batistuta, Heighway, Larrson, Nedved, Shevchenko, Keegan, Rush, Desailly, Seedorf, Del Piero, Viera.

Oh wait, they're not all stuck up arogant s***s who think themselves above the club.

Ronaldo is a great player, because he is a great player.

He is a s**t, because he is a s**t.
    Plain and simple.

Just like Rivaldo for instance, it's something he has in him.
    His arogance is down to his personality, not becuse you have to be a prick to be a success.
    People I know who have been out on the town and met him for drinks in Manchester say the guy couldn't be nicer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

People I know who have been out on the town and met him for drinks in Manchester say the guy couldn't be nicer.

So, someone I don't know says someone he knows says he met him out on the town and that he was a decent bloke. QED for me

kryogen wrote: »

Ok but as someone already pointed out to you that other references had been used also (not just the two you have now seen) here is another

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid=%7BC7DF7CEC%2D3BC3%2D4859%2DA3FD%2DFE4AAD215DD8%7D&newsid=6622744

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,448 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

nipplenuts wrote: »
    So, someone I don't know says someone he knows says he met him out on the town and that he was a decent bloke. QED for me

but some sarcastic comments and he's a dick. fairs fair i suppose.

So what is the conclusion? Ronaldo is an average player who does not do anything in "big games" and on top of that he is a shíthéad.

I want him out of United immediately, he has pulled the wool over Fergusons, the teams and the fans eyes for too long.

I'm starting to think he didn't top score in the too major competitions United WON last season and it was actually an illusion caused by his arrogance. Hopefully all those people who decide the player of the year read this thread and have their eyes opened like me.

I'm sorry now I didn't listen to some of ye on here, I see now ye were just been fair and balanced, I understand now I can't trust my own judgement and from now on ye and Dunphy will be above question.

Oh and I would like to nominate this for qoute of the week.
    Wes Brown deserves more credit for that goal than Ronaldo, it was perfect cross, an unmarked Ronaldo barely moved for it. Was a fairly decent header, but its hardly conclusive evidence he's a big game player?

-

@ntlbell:
    Zidane - 1998 world cup final
    Rivaldo - Barcelona V Valencia (barca needed to win to qualify for the CL)
    Gerrard - Fa cup final against West Ham
    A less glamorous, more recent example
    Mascherano - played superb against United in september

If Ronaldo is the best player in the world why cant he produce performances on par to the above in the big games?

Berbatov plays up front, you've spent the last 2 pages arguing that Ronaldo plays on the wing, which is in midfield, there is a difference.

Can you not read? I just said you can pull out snipptiets of anyone playing well in a big game even average players have pulled off big performances in big games but these are _rare_

i see you failed to mention ROY KEANE against juventus....

instead we get GERRARD AGAINST WEST HAM?????? WTF???

being the worlds best player means you consitley out perform every other player week in week out, you don't get player of the year for ONE big peroformance? is this really so hard to understand?

Ronaldo has scored against all the top 4 he's scored in the champions leage final, he's 23 years of age and won everything there's to win at club level while scoring 42 goals in a season, who please tell me did better than that last season? please...just one name....if you can't come up with one then what's your point?

What the hell has berbo playing up front got to do with defending?

do you understand that there's two different teams?

the attacking team and the defending at any given moment.

berbo being a striker has nothing to do with what he does when we lose the ball...

rooney is a striker - he defends

tevez..the same...

so in theroy there is no reason why berbo shouldn't defend and the same goes for ronaldo

my point is, they're not asked too do you see the difference?

if not, which part of it are you having most difficulty trying to understand and i'll try and break it down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

I hope that was sarcastic, cos the Welbeck comment was. ;)

I'm actually starting to like him again. I'd love to be that assured of my value. He's brilliant, and he knows it. He's not arrogant because he can back up what he says. I think it's great that there's no clichés, no faked respect, just genuine out and out confidence. The guy's a superb player, and he's happy to have the world acknowledge that. Fúck the begrudgery. ^^

He can back it up that he is the greatest footballer ever?

Arrogance my friend not confidence and self belief. Roy Keane was confident, Wayne Rooney is confident, Ryan Giggs is confident...Ronaldo is arrogant and thoroughly dislikeable.

Advertisement