Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronaldo "I am the 1st, 2nd, 3rd best in world

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Babybing wrote: »
    He can back it up that he is the greatest footballer ever?

Arrogance my friend not confidence and self belief. Roy Keane was confident, Wayne Rooney is confident, Ryan Giggs is confident...Ronaldo is arrogant and thoroughly dislikeable.

who cares if he's not likable he's not running in a personality contents he's there to win football matches and that's what he does.

anyone who finds his arrogance or self confidence sickening really needs to take a long hard look at their own insecurities. (not you personally, in general)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Arrogance my friend not confidence and self belief. Roy Keane was confident, Wayne Rooney is confident, Ryan Giggs is confident...Ronaldo is arrogant and thoroughly dislikeable.

Do you believe every single think you read or hear, you don't think there could have been the slightest bit of humour in what he said?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

In reality, he's probably close. Modern players are a lot fitter and stronger than their predecessors. One of the reasons Pele was so good was that he was a physical prodigy. He could run a 100m in 10 or so seconds apparently, in an era when professional footballers were nowhere near as fit as they are now.

Ronaldo's doing that most important thing and scoring goals. And scoring more of them than you'd expect.

Add to that I've a soft spot for him because it's funny to see people get so worked up about it. ^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,448 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Most of this hate being down to people not liking his humour.

""I am the first, second and third best player in the world," joked Ronaldo in an interview with Brazilian daily O Estado de Sao Paulo.

Then goes on to name a numbe rof other top players but says he feels he has done enough to be named world player of the year THIS year. But no, this is a disgrace. Messi dribbled past people better than anyone else. He got no goals against United, and assisted no goals against United in the CL, while playing in his favoured position, but his dribbling was pretty so he is obviously a far superior player to Ronaldo, who played up front, on his own, isolated by a defensive United performance in both games. No matter though. He may no be as good in the air, or as good a goalscorer, doesn't matter a damn. We can forget Messi and the rest of the Barcelona front line stuttered through most of last season domestically - they play pretty football so their star player should always be voted best in the world, regardless of his actual performances. As long as he looks good in the games he is fit for, Messi is a god.

BTW - I love Messi as a player, and for sheer enjoyment of watching he is the best around. But in the year being voted on, he was not the most succesfull, or the most effective, or the most consistent. Ronaldo was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

In reality, he's probably close.

Oh god. The best ever? And I thought the Ronaldo bashers were disillusioned...

• Advertisement

eZe^ wrote: »
    Oh god. The best ever? And I thought the Ronaldo bashers were disillusioned...

More to being the best than talent sadly.

He's physically a lot more impressive than a lot of his predecessors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

My take on this is that Ronaldo is arrogant as hell, more so than the vast majority of arrogant footballers. I dont wish ill on the bloke, or anything like it, he is a phenomenally talented footballer-but i dont have to like or respect him, unbelievable arrogance is not an admirable trait in anyone. Also his treatment of Utd during the summer was pretty disgraceful.

For these reasons, what i hope happens is, this year it is decided to give the award to Casillas.

It will have to be done at some stage that a goalkeeper wins it.

He is, pretty much undeniably, the best goalkeeper in the world and won the league with Real and the Euros with Spain. playing a massive part in both successes.

If ever there was a time for a goalkeeper to win the award, i'd think it may be him this year. And genuinely i dont think anyone could argue.

As players, both have had great success this year. Winning two of the major trophies on offer each.

I'd give it to the one who didnt try and **** his club and fans over during the summer. and hasnt been ****ing out of him how much he deserves to win the award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Boggles wrote: »
    So what is the conclusion? Ronaldo is an average player who does not do anything in "big games" and on top of that he is a shíthéad.
    -

I never said he was average, To only thing i mentioned negativly about his ability was:
    If Ronaldo is the best player in the world why cant he produce performances on par to the above in the big games?
    So all i implyed is that he's not the best player in the world, If your not the best player in the world you could still be one of the best players no ? yet somehow you took from it that I said he was average, fair play to ya.

I also never said anything about his personality
    I want him out of United immediately, he has pulled the wool over Fergusons, the teams and the fans eyes for too long.

I'm starting to think he didn't top score in the too major competitions United WON last season and it was actually an illusion caused by his arrogance. Hopefully all those people who decide the player of the year read this thread and have their eyes opened like me.

I'm sorry now I didn't listen to some of ye on here, I see now ye were just been fair and balanced, I understand now I can't trust my own judgement and from now on ye and Dunphy will be above question.

See above, I never said he was a poor player. Quite the opposite
    Ronaldo has immense talent
    Oh and I would like to nominate this for qoute of the week.

Maybe its because i said but I honestly dont know whats so wrong what i said.

Maybe you could point it out to me? Which part of it was the problem?

@Ntlbell
    do you understand that there's two different teams?

the attacking team and the defending at any given moment.

Really? Thanks for pointing that out I had no idea :confused: :rolleyes:

Tracking back/ closing players down is not something that everyone would expect every striker to do, Its surely expected from midfielders though?

Rooney and Teves do it because they work harder, Do you think Fergusan goes in the dressing room:

"Wayne and Carlos you burst a gut chasing down, Berb and Cristiano you make sure you do nothing of the sort"

They do it to do everything they can to help there team win. You just dont want to admit he's lazy.

You're right about Keane against Juve, thats the kind of performance I'm talking about. I'm sorry I'll put together a more conclusive list the next time Didn't realise 4 examples wasn't enough.:rolleyes:

Thats true, but I never claimed he didnt deserve POY last year did I?

Tracking back/ closing players down is not something that everyone would expect every striker to do, Its surely expected from midfielders though?

Right I'm going to say this very slowly and in big writing for you.

Ferguson
    intstructs
    him
    to
    stay
    forward

Now if you are still having problems comprehending that, we can work on it a bit more.

Do you think he instructs Rooney and Teves to track back?

Its not even tracking back, you can stay forward and close down players

• Advertisement

children; stop shouting please.

@Ntlbell

Really? Thanks for pointing that out I had no idea :confused: :rolleyes:

Rooney and Teves do it because they work harder, Do you think Fergusan goes in the dressing room:

"Wayne and Carlos you burst a gut chasing down, Berb and Cristiano you make sure you do nothing of the sort"

They do it to do everything they can to help there team win. You just dont want to admit he's lazy.

You're right about Keane against Juve, thats the kind of performance I'm talking about. I'm sorry I'll put together a more conclusive list the next time Didn't realise 4 examples wasn't enough.:rolleyes:

Thats true, but I never claimed he didnt deserve POY last year did I?

I'm asking you a very simple question, do you think season after season, game after game ronaldo is ignoring requests from alex ferguson to keep tracking back? do you really belive that a player at manchester united would get away with that week in week out? it's a simple question.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    children; stop shouting please.

Sorry you will have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel.

Yes

Its not even tracking back, you can stay forward and close down players

if he does or not is irrelevant, he does n't ask it of ronaldo...simple...

People saying that ferguson doesnt ask Ronaldo to put in a little effort defensively?

how on earth do yous know this?

i think that Ferguson allows ronaldo away with a little (like getting moody midgame or lack of effort) because of the brilliance that Ronaldo brings to the table. It doesnt however mean that Ferguson doesnt ask him to put in a bit of effort defensively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Ronaldo is the perfect out ball, therefore he is told not to track back, his pace and threat to keep opposition players occupied is valuable. he is told not to track back!!!!!!

besides this, he does actually track back alot more then he used to, but people choose to ignore it

Berb is supposedly our point man, therefore it is not in our best interests that he tracks back, we need somebody to keep some of their players up the field a bit or else we would be swamped all the time and have nobody to pass the ball to when trying to get out of our own half

Ronaldo is very self confident but most of what he says is meant as a joke and taken too seriously by people who cant wait to have a pop at him

i understand it, he is an easy hate figure.....but does it really matter anyway?

he is an exeptional talent, he has been the best player this year, a goalkeeper will probably never win the player of the year to be honest Alan, it would take something really really really ridiculously special, its just not an attractive position to the judges! they have given it to a defensive player once this centuary so i wouldnt bet on there being another one for a few more years!

he is easy to hate, fun to love and does exactly what he needs to do to be remembered by everyone whether they love or hate him,

my only problem with him is his behaviour over the summer, i lost a lot of respect for him by the end, but what does it matter?! alot of lads i know have met him also and say he is a nice guy, in fact anyone who has met him say he couldnt be nicer, but who cares about what hes like away from the pitcs? as long as he does the business on the pitch you cant argue his footballing ability and if you say he doesnt deserve the player of the year award this year for simply being the best player, not person, you are talking out your ass

messi, while more enjoyable to watch sometime, didnt reach the same level as Ronaldo last year

ntlbell wrote: »
    I'm asking you a very simple question, do you think season after season, game after game ronaldo is ignoring requests from alex ferguson to keep tracking back? do you really belive that a player at manchester united would get away with that week in week out? it's a simple question.

Probably not, but as Mr alan pointed out, I have no idea what Fergusan says to players, either do you.

If he is not specifically told to work when Utd don't have the ball, Maybe he could show some initiative and close down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,448 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Probably not, but as Mr alan pointed out, I have no idea what Fergusan says to players, either do you.

If he is not specifically told to work when Utd don't have the ball, Maybe he could show some initiative and close down

he does, and does a lot more than he used to. Against Barcelona he put in a lovely saving tackle on the edge of the box to stop a dangerous counter attack. He tracks back when his position and the opposition position dictate he should - he doesn't defend from the front like Rooney and Tevez do, but name me a few other top forwards in todays game that do work as much as they do? Also, Ronaldo got more goals than them last season, combined i think. Ronaldo could do more, but it isn't as big a problem with his game as people like to make out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

the only time it has been evidenced that i can remember is any time that Gary Neville would start shouting at Ronaldo to get back and help him more Fergie would be out on the touch line shouting at Gary to STFU and waving Ronaldo back up the field

this to me indicates that Fergie doesnt want him defending. He has also publicly said Rooney shouldnt be defending so much and that its been adversly affecting his goal scoring, its clear that Fergie has an idea in his head for who should bust their gut defending and who should concentrate more on attack imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

1 Ronaldo is a dislikable character off the pitch. He fecked United around during the summer and generally acted the pr!ck. Although at the moment, in this thread re greatest player etc, I think his humour is being missed by some.

2 Ronaldo is a dislikable character on the pitch. He is often self indulgent (trying stupid things that don't come off and look foolish) and selfish. When things don't go his way he moans and complains. However these things are generally improving, although I think he may have gone back a little this season. He doesn't dive any more than lots of players do considering how much he gets fouled. Also he is inconsistent in games (ie not from game to game but from minute to minute in a game) which can be frustrating to watch.

3 Ronaldo is nowhere near one of the best players of all time. The idea is laughable. At the moment he is a winger who scores shed loads of goals, takes on defenders, is great in the air and is super consistent over the season. Its been done before and more. He is still only 23, he may become one of the all time best - who knows.
    Also, the fact that modern players are fitter is neither here nor there. If the sports science was available to the old boys they would have been just as fit. And they also had to get by without the modern, more effective, treatment of injuries.

4 Ronaldo does produce it in the big games. Not everytime yet but he's still improving. In the CL final he certainly produced. He played a stormer in the first half while the United CMs were still doing their job. He and Evra raped Essien down the left wing and he scored a top class header - the leap on him was huge and ball was calmly placed past Cech.

5 I think Ronaldo is given some slack to not track back by Fergie. So as to be an out ball. But who knows, we could all argue about that all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

1 Ronaldo is a dislikable character off the pitch. He fecked United around during the summer and generally acted the pr!ck. Although at the moment, in this thread re greatest player etc, I think his humour is being missed by some.

I don't really see what off the pitch has to do with a debate on football. Most of the crap this summer was fueled by comments from Real Madrid and the media frothing at the mouth. The guy just said, look, I'd like to play there someday. He's supported them since he was a kid- Look at Robbie Keane- he supported Liverpool since he was a kid and I don't see anyone piping up that he owed Tottenham anything when he was sold. At the end of the day United have him under contract. He can say what he like but United aren't going to sell him regardles.

2 Ronaldo is a dislikable character on the pitch. He is often self indulgent (trying stupid things that don't come off and look foolish) and selfish. When things don't go his way he moans and complains. However these things are generally improving, although I think he may have gone back a little this season. He doesn't dive any more than lots of players do considering how much he gets fouled. Also he is inconsistent in games (ie not from game to game but from minute to minute in a game) which can be frustrating to watch.

I disagree. I enjoy watching him, you could say the same thing about Berbatov come to think of it, but like Ronaldo he can produce moments of sublime skill that are what makes the game beautiful. If you'd rather go watch a solid plonky Stoke Vs Newcastle, than United and Arsenal well, you're welcome to it.

3 Ronaldo is nowhere near one of the best players of all time. The idea is laughable. At the moment he is a winger who scores shed loads of goals, takes on defenders, is great in the air and is super consistent over the season. Its been done before and more. He is still only 23, he may become one of the all time best - who knows.
    Also, the fact that modern players are fitter is neither here nor there. If the sports science was available to the old boys they would have been just as fit. And they also had to get by without the modern, more effective, treatment of injuries.

This is probably where your argument falls down. If he broke both his legs and retired tomorrow he would be remembered as once of the greatest players the premiership ever had. He broke Best's record that had stood for how long??

It's been done before and more- kindly enlighten us as to who you are talking about here? Best is probably the only person I can think of.
    4 Ronaldo does produce it in the big games. Not everytime yet but he's still improving. In the CL final he certainly produced. He played a stormer in the first half while the United CMs were still doing their job. He and Evra raped Essien down the left wing and he scored a top class header - the leap on him was huge and ball was calmly placed past Cech.

No argument here.
    5 I think Ronaldo is given some slack to not track back by Fergie. So as to be an out ball. But who knows, we could all argue about that all day.

I've seen him clear a lot of balls in his own box with headers away from corners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

kryogen wrote: »
    ihe is an exeptional talent, he has been the best player this year, a goalkeeper will probably never win the player of the year to be honest Alan, it would take something really really really ridiculously special, its just not an attractive position to the judges! they have given it to a defensive player once this centuary so i wouldnt bet on there being another one for a few more years!

What about Lev Yashin one of the best Keepers of all time. He won the Ballon d'Or in 1963 so a goalkeeper has been given a major award in the past. It is not unprecedented although unlikely this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I don't really see what off the pitch has to do with a debate on football.

As a football fan I'd rather have a player playing for my time who I respect as a man in addition to their football talents. It's a perfectly reasonable request.
    Most of the crap this summer was fueled by comments from Real Madrid and the media frothing at the mouth. The guy just said, look, I'd like to play there someday. He's supported them since he was a kid- Look at Robbie Keane- he supported Liverpool since he was a kid and I don't see anyone piping up that he owed Tottenham anything when he was sold. At the end of the day United have him under contract. He can say what he like but United aren't going to sell him regardles.

I agree that a lot of what happened over the summer was over hyped. But still, imo Ronaldo acted the pr!ck too. This debate has been done to death and different people have different opinions. I don't think it's worthwhile doing it again here now.
    I disagree. I enjoy watching him, you could say the same thing about Berbatov come to think of it, but like Ronaldo he can produce moments of sublime skill that are what makes the game beautiful. If you'd rather go watch a solid plonky Stoke Vs Newcastle, than United and Arsenal well, you're welcome to it.

Do you disagree with all that I said in the point you were responding to? I said that he has improved. Just to clarify, I too enjoy watching him when he is on form. And since he joined United the on form bits have been getting more frequent and lasting longer, season after season. But, still, on the now rare occasions when he's off the boil I find him a pain in the @rse to watch.
    I think that he will continue to improve especially under Ferguson.

I do enjoy watching moody magnificent players. I think it can be a good idea for a team to accommodate this type of player. Some players have so much talent that they can get away with being lazy or inconsistent or whatever. But this has a limit; it is not a given that if they have an abundance of talent you can forgive them anything. Does Ronaldo cross this line? Yes, sometimes.

I don't think we really need to discuss Berbatov as well lets just stick to Ronaldo.

Regarding the Stoke vs Newcastle or Man U vs Arsenal - just because I think a player can be annoying, despite his talent, it doesn't follow that I don't like quality football played by talented players. That's a bit of an illogical leap on your part.

Finally on this point: I think my point might have come across too harshly. I suppose I should have said ''Ronaldo sometimes is a dislikable character on the pitch''.
    This is probably where your argument falls down. If he broke both his legs and retired tomorrow he would be remembered as once of the greatest players the premiership ever had. He broke Best's record that had stood for how long??

Yes one of the greatest players the Premiership ever had. I totally agree.
    It's been done before and more- kindly enlighten us as to who you are talking about here? Best is probably the only person I can think of.

I wasn't talking about his exact position and related record (winger and goals). I was talking about his impact on the world of football and his quality on the pitch. So players who imo were better than him (off the top of my head): Pele, Maradona, Puskas, Best, Charlton.

I've seen him clear a lot of balls in his own box with headers away from corners.

I was talking about tracking back during open play not corners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

More to being the best than talent sadly.

He's physically a lot more impressive than a lot of his predecessors.

Bob Sapp is more physical than Mohammed Ali, does that mean he was a better boxer?

Drogba is more physical than Del Piero, does that mean he is a better player?

Anyone that thinks Ronaldo is one of the greatest players of all time then go back and look at Maradonna, Puskas, Di Stefano, Pele, Kubala, Cryuff, Eusebio, Zidane and fat Ronaldo.

He hasn't even bettered the likes of Ronaldinho, Henry and Figo yet in my eyes. He may prove it over the next 5 years, but the guy has has had one good season and one excellent one. Let's not get too carried away here, best player in the past year, yes. Best player of all time, nowhere near it yet.

eZe^ wrote: »
    Bob Sapp is more physical than Mohammed Ali, does that mean he was a better boxer?

Drogba is more physical than Del Piero, does that mean he is a better player?

Anyone that thinks Ronaldo is one of the greatest players of all time then go back and look at Maradonna, Puskas, Di Stefano, Pele, Kubala, Cryuff, Eusebio, Zidane and fat Ronaldo.

He hasn't even bettered the likes of Ronaldinho, Henry and Figo yet in my eyes. He may prove it over the next 5 years, but the guy has has had one good season and one excellent one. Let's not get too carried away here, best player in the past year, yes. Best player of all time, nowhere near it yet.

Fat Ronaldo was at his peak lethally fast. Some of those players were definitely given an advantage by their physiques. Look at it this way - if Pele was 17 now, I'd be fairly certain he'd go on to be the world's best player again - but he wouldn't be as effective as he was.

Casillas for the prize!

come on FIFA, time to stand up to arrogant prima donnas who care only about themselves and their pay packet!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

this thread is still going on?

the amount of nonsense has been pretty hysterical tho. saying that ronnie isnt as good as he is because he doesnt track back.... the best attacking player in the world atm doesnt track back all the time? yup, definately an arrogant not-as-good-as-he-thinks pr1ck :rolleyes:

wat was the other one a few pages back about what position he plays? someone trying to say hes not a winger or some nonsense, yes hes a bloody spaceman then.

this thread is nitpicking brought to a new level. its actually amazing how many ppl hate ronaldo 'just cos'. the player cracked a little joke and ppl get on a soapbox and start denouncing his talent and his personality. it just sounds to me that ppl want to hate more then he deserves.

and no al, ronaldo was better then casillas last season. if your argument is based on off field activities and transfer nonsense instead of talent then you are the last person i would want voting for an award on footballing skill.
    casillas contributed a lot to winning both the aforementioned trophies but he wasnt the "main man" per se behind winning them, ronnie was. casillas would be a good 2nd tho, did more then messi anyway ;)

Ronnie wasnt the main man according to a lot of Utd fans on this site Jazzy, that was Rooney. I would go so far as to say that Casillas was as instrumental in Reals successes last year as ronaldo was to Utds.

and i dont hate ronaldo "just cause", i have hated long before these latest comments of his, they are just the most recent in a long line of sheer arrogant ****e to spew from his mouth.

• Advertisement

Ronnie wasnt the main man according to a lot of Utd fans on this site Jazzy, that was Rooney.

those Utd fans are wrong. simple as that

Mr Alan wrote:
    and i dont hate ronaldo "just cause"

didnt say u did. talking about others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Ronnie wasnt the main man according to a lot of Utd fans on this site Jazzy, that was Rooney. I would go so far as to say that Casillas was as instrumental in Reals successes last year as ronaldo was to Utds.
    Never main what other Utd fans thought! YOU have said on several occasions that Ronaldo is better than Rooney. Cherrypicking titbits from Utd fans that suit your argument but isn't actually what you think yourself is a bit silly!

i do think he is better than Rooney.

but when i say that i am supposedly not to be believed as i'm a Utd hating Liverpool fan.

then i repeat what other people say (PHB for one), and thats ****e too.....guess i cant win.

Mr Pighead, i was simply pointing out that some Utd fans, dont think Ronaldo was the main reason for Utds success last year.

CASILLAS > RONALDO

Bosco>Mr Alan

good point pighead.

i dont know wat i was thinking.

Admit it Al, you're hatred for Utd and Ronaldo is yet again severely affecting your ability to make an unbiased judgement re World Player of the Year.

• Advertisement

guess i cant win.

thats right - because ronaldo contributed more to Utds 2 trophies more then Casillas contributed to Reals and spains.
    you have to remember that a goalkeeper does something every game so they are quite easy to give a hero status to (Jersey Dudek for example) as there is only ever one for your team at a time. if germany had won the final would casillas be up for the award? doubtful. if chelski had won the final would ronaldo be up for the award? easily.

I would go so far as to say that Casillas was as instrumental in Reals successes last year as ronaldo was to Utds.

Barcelona's self imploding was the instrumental part in Real Madrid's success last season not Iker Casillas. Casillas as good a Keeper he is, is not even the best keeper in Europe. Cech and certainly Buffon come to mind immediately as being better. Buffon was the reason Italy stayed in the Euro 2008 tournament as long as they did. I recall his penalty save in stoppage time that kept them in the tournament saving the world champions blushes of being eliminated in the group stage.

Casillas was not even Spains best player at Euro 2008. I would have went with Fabregas but UEFA went with Xavi as the player of the tournament. If any Keeper came close to winning player of the year in the last 20 years it most likely was Kahn and rightly so but casillias, for last season god no.

If Casillas is Ronaldo's top competition for the player of the year then I would say he is a shoo-in. Not taking away from the fact he is still a tosser.

not at all, i agree that Ronaldo was the best outfield player in the world last year.

i just also think that a keeper and outfield player cannot be reasonably compared.

i think a keeper should and will win the award at some stage over the next few years-probably Casillas himself, and i think it would be a good statement from Fifa in regards to the kind of behaviour that is acceptable for footballers to choose this year to give the award to Casillas.

Maybe Ronaldo will learn a lesson in humility as a result-and then we'll all be the winners.

redout wrote: »
    BCech and certainly Buffon come to mind immediately as being better.

i stopped reading when you said Cech was better than Casillas last year. ]

sheer nonsense-do people actually watch Cech week in week out? or just remember him before his injury?

Cech hasnt been the top goalie in England the last 2 years, let alone in Europe.

not at all, i agree that Ronaldo was the best outfield player in the world last year.

i just also think that a keeper and outfield player cannot be reasonably compared.

i think a keeper should and will win the award at some stage over the next few years-probably Casillas himself, and i think it would be a good statement from Fifa in regards to the kind of behaviour that is acceptable for footballers to choose this year to give the award to Casillas.

Maybe Ronaldo will learn a lesson in humility as a result-and then we'll all be the winners.
    Casillas must have really really impressed you over the past four weeks to have changed your mind so quickly on who deserves the award. You sir are a FLIP FLOPPER!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57634488&postcount=51

• Advertisement

Jazzy wrote: »
    thats right - because ronaldo contributed more to Utds 2 trophies more then Casillas contributed to Reals and spains.

How can you possibly prove that?
    Jazzy wrote: »
    you have to remember that a goalkeeper does something every game so they are quite easy to give a hero status to (Jersey Dudek for example)

you also have to remember that goalkeepers mistakes cost teams games & points. They have to be on the ball for 90 minutes virtually, whereas Ronaldo and other attacking players need only do 1 thing to be remembered as having a good game.

*just to clarify, i have no issue if Ronaldo wins the player of the year-he would deserve it, as would Iker...i am simply pointing out that Casillas is a viable alternative and would be a deserved winner.

pighead-that wouldnt have taken much digging to be honest, i have praised Ronaldo all season as being the best player in Europe & the world. I am simply pointing out that its near impossible to compare a goalkeeper and winger/striker.

Alanisms are back! :pac:

if thats the case then its all a matter of opinion as it is extremely hard to compare the goalies contribution to an outfield players one. you'd probably need some professional analysis from a coach or something.
    and yeah, barcelona imploding certainly helped real. ronaldo still did more. a winger who got 42 goals in all competitions and winning the PL & CL trophies in the process. he scored tons of important goals and tons of amazing ones as well.

yous two getting prepped for another love in?

i have been quite clear on my opinions in this matter.

i stopped reading when you said Cech was better than Casillas last year. ]

sheer nonsense-do people actually watch Cech week in week out? or just remember him before his injury?

Cech hasnt been the top goalie in England the last 2 years, let alone in Europe.

Well according to the people who vote the worlds best keeper every year Cech has been ahead of Casillas the last four years running and even managed to win the award which Casillas never managed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IFFHS_World's_Best_Goalkeeper

in case you missed it;

this is my original post on the matter. i'll just leave it at that:
    My take on this is that Ronaldo is arrogant as hell, more so than the vast majority of arrogant footballers. I dont wish ill on the bloke, or anything like it, he is a phenomenally talented footballer-but i dont have to like or respect him, unbelievable arrogance is not an admirable trait in anyone. Also his treatment of Utd during the summer was pretty disgraceful.

For these reasons, what i hope happens is, this year it is decided to give the award to Casillas.

It will have to be done at some stage that a goalkeeper wins it.

He is, pretty much undeniably, the best goalkeeper in the world and won the league with Real and the Euros with Spain. playing a massive part in both successes.

If ever there was a time for a goalkeeper to win the award, i'd think it may be him this year. And genuinely i dont think anyone could argue.

As players, both have had great success this year. Winning two of the major trophies on offer each.

I'd give it to the one who didnt try and **** his club and fans over during the summer. and hasnt been ****ing out of him how much he deserves to win the award.

redout wrote: »
    Well according to the people who vote the worlds best keeper every year Cech has been ahead of Casillas the last four years running and even managed to win the award which Casillas never managed

well these people have obviously taken to smoking crystal meth the last couple of years cause Cech has been a shadow of his former self since his head injury.

Cech has been a shadow of his former self since his head injury.

Yes I agree. Just noting he actually won the award before the head injury.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Oh looks like i missed a couple of pages of nothing.

I hear Ronaldo is releasing Chesney Hawkes I am the one and only as a christmas single. He (and i and the rest of the sane world) expect it to go to numbers 1, 2 and at least 3, maybe 4 and untimately continuing on to 5...

I <3 RonMraldo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

Pighead wrote: »
    Those 12 Messi goals have come against- Santandar, Gijon, Espanyol, Donetsk, Athletico Madrid, Basel, Malaga, Benidorm and Recreativo Huelva. How come we don't hear cries of "He only does it against the small teams" with regards to Mr Messi?

Benidorm-I was there once, I didn't realise they played. best damn team on the Costa Del Sol I'd say

• Advertisement
Advertisement