Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronaldo "I am the 1st, 2nd, 3rd best in world

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Maradona is in a different galaxy to Ronaldo who is full of himself and up his own a$$ most of the time.!

Messi also is a world apart, Alan Hansen wrote a good blog on the bbc site and said the scottish team were run ragged by a 17 or 18 year old Diego back in 1980 or 81 whatever year it was. Ronaldo 'thinks' he is the best but thinking and being are two different things.

My own opinion of Ronaldo is that around 95% of people hate him, he showboats far too much and generally does extremely well when the team are flying, but when things are not all rosy he is not so well, such as the game at goodison park for instance.

A truly world class player can light up his team and run the opposition ragged irrespective of how his team mates play, and also Ronaldo is NOT captian material, another reason why he is neither the 1st, 2nd or 3rd best.

Del Piero and Matthaeus for germany were better than Ronaldo..!

When Ronaldo shines at a world cup and lifts it up, get back to me........because I dont think he will ever captain portugal to world cup success

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Where's my tiny violin?
    Individual

* Bravo Award: 2004
    * UEFA Euro 2004 Team of the Tournament
    * FIFPro Special Young Player of the Year: 2004-05, 2005-06
    * Portuguese Footballer of the Year: 2006-07
    * UEFA Team of the Year: 2003-2004, 2006-07
    * FIFPro World XI: 2006-07, 2007-08
    * PFA Young Player of the Year: 2006-07
    * PFA Players' Player of the Year: 2006-07, 2007-08
    * PFA Fans' Player of the Year: 2006-07, 2007-08
    * PFA Premier League Team of the Year: 2005-06, 2006-07, 2007-08
    * FWA Footballer of the Year: 2006-07, 2007-08
    * Barclays Player of the Season: 2006-07, 2007-08
    * Barclays Player of the Month: November-December 2006, January 2008, March 2008
    * Barclays Golden Boot: 2007-08
    * Barclays Merit Award: 2007-08
    * European Golden Shoe: 2007-08
    * UEFA Club Forward of the Year: 2007-08
    * UEFA Club Footballer of the Year: 2007-08
    * FIFPro World Player of the Year: 2007-08

He gets exactly the credit he deserves - plenty on the pitch, none off it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

ntlbell wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity when gerrard kept threatening to go to chelsea

was it for the benifit of him or for the team?

When gerrard went off the boil for a few months when a move to chelsea was on the cards for him? or the benifit of the team?

when people constantly called rudd selfish and when it was said by roy keane it was the biggest compliment a player could recive when it's aimed at ronaldo it's the most negative??

stop the nonsense.

k.thnx

gerrard in fairness is (like ronaldo) one of the best players in the world.
    He wanted to move on because he felt at the time he wasn't going to win very much with Liverpool.
    I think there is little compatitive worth and you seem to be clutching at straws trying to turn this into a Liverpool-United debate.

Fact of the matter is Ronaldo is a petulent-highly unprofessional child who likes to through his toys out of the pram.
    Ronaldo didn't have a change of heart and didn't decide to stay with the team he loves he was apparently being treated like a slave by man utd.
    Gerrard however did realise that his heart was with Liverpool and that is where he wanted to stay and try to achieve his career goals.

Your point is entirely lacking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

It's stuff like above- you can appreciate (or underestimate) his talent but you don't like the man or want him to succeed.

I never said that, what I said I think is the general consensus amongst people.

Yes?

I love watching football and there is no doubt Ronaldo has incredible skills, but the reality is that he is not the world best.

Maradona had the $hit kicked out of him in the 80s by the most brutal defenders, now teams have far much more protection, can you imagine Ronaldo playing back in the 70s/80s.?

Yet Maradona still dictated the game and got a very average and shyte argentine side to the final of Italy 1990.

And not just Maradona, there are several players in the 80s/90s who achieved far more than Ronaldo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

When Ronaldo shines at a world cup and lifts it up, get back to me........because I dont think he will ever captain portugal to world cup success

or if he fails a drug test in a world cup like diego in 94???

g.best never played in a world cup.... is he not classed as one off the worlds greatest even tho he didnt??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Mr Alan wrote: »
    THE THREAD IS ABOUT RONALDO

isnt it just.

jaypers, ur some funny lad altogether. psychoanalysing you is brilliant tbh. way better then anyone else here. wat makes you better is your commitment. everyone else always makes a slip, a factor of a judgement that shouldnt be there, you on the other hand follow a line. there is always a line for you to follow to make watever you please look bad. i remember you saying recently enough in a Utd thread that Utd last season didnt really play 4-3-3... it was 4-5-1.

why is this important? well, if u imply 4-5-1 you imply that they arent really as good as they are. to be able to play a comfortable 4-3-3 is something f-all top flight teams can really do. they have to play tighter and with more paranoia to get away with it. there is something less skilled by saying a team play 4-5-1 then 4-3-3 or 4-4-2... your trying to show they arent as good as they are.

now lets look at the ronaldo arguement. ppl are saying that he isnt a winger. why?
    basically its because its harder to score from the wing, the fact that he scored so many proves that he is actually better then u want to give him credit for. thereby saying he plays in a 4-5-1 as not a winger makes him look more like a poacher and not really as skilled as his stats suggest... and hence ur going by the line - utd arent as good as they can be credited to be.

the problem is al, ur opinion is massively coloured. although you present ur points in a decent enough style they still cant be taken seriously. for example you commonly say things like "im confused" as regards another persons post. ur not really confused but you are trying to place as much doubt on wat someone else is saying simply to benefit the line u are on (look up wat award ur nominanted for as regards clarification). saying "im confused" is ultimately futile. ur not really confused, u are just trying to force as much doubt into that situation to try and give the appearance of righteousness as is allowed. as is saying utd play a 4-5-1... not a modified 4-3-3... that would imply more exciting football, something Utd cant do because it doesnt suit you. so where does ronaldo play in a 4-5-1 ? on the wing or centre forward? ;)

overall al, u are wat u hate. u constantly contradict yourself to make wat u dislike look worse then it actually is. u would quickly complain about boggles although you dont see the irony yourself. your opinions arent valid as they are constantly sprayed with your by-line of "liverpool are perfect"... then when they are not you draw back into the common sensible line to not appear as unknowing as you are. there are veiled insults as soon as someone draws close to wat you are doing "stop stalking me man". theres no real substance to your "opinions" (dont you find that he who brings up the "fact" that its their "opinion" has no more to hide behind?) its all just a line. its all keeping within boundries that you yourself have set up. its a novelty. its a schtick. its nothing important yet it is on these forums... why? volume.
    your a nice guy, thats easy to see. but theres a very pathetic sense to wat drives your motivation and i hate seeing that, hence the rant. boggles is pretty funny but ultimately you wear the same outfit, one that has become transparent and boring. you want to get better at making a point and debating the beautiful game? lose the line, lose the attitude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

wanker gestures to the crowd and gesturing how he is number 1.

its only his unique sense of humour though, he is actually a lovely fella and is just misunderstood :rolleyes:

to be honest alan, i was in the north stand and pretty much everyone around me thought it was great

it was just a bit of fun, he was acting up to us like we were to him. there was no malice in it, it was just a bit mutual mickey taking. i was quite impressed with the way he gave a bit back, and so were the people sitting around me. if anything was to come of it itd be a disgrace

nothing more than lighthearted banter as far as we were concerned, and a nice comeback to the guff we gave him every second he was on the pitch (which you probably didnt hear on telly)

i think a little bit more of him coz of it tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Carturo

Jazzy wrote: »
    isnt it just.

jaypers, ur some funny lad altogether. psychoanalysing you is brilliant tbh. way better then anyone else here. wat makes you better is your commitment. everyone else always makes a slip, a factor of a judgement that shouldnt be there, you on the other hand follow a line. there is always a line for you to follow to make watever you please look bad. i remember you saying recently enough in a Utd thread that Utd last season didnt really play 4-3-3... it was 4-5-1.

why is this important? well, if u imply 4-5-1 you imply that they arent really as good as they are. to be able to play a comfortable 4-3-3 is something f-all top flight teams can really do. they have to play tighter and with more paranoia to get away with it. there is something less skilled by saying a team play 4-5-1 then 4-3-3 or 4-4-2... your trying to show they arent as good as they are.

now lets look at the ronaldo arguement. ppl are saying that he isnt a winger. why?
    basically its because its harder to score from the wing, the fact that he scored so many proves that he is actually better then u want to give him credit for. thereby saying he plays in a 4-5-1 as not a winger makes him look more like a poacher and not really as skilled as his stats suggest... and hence ur going by the line - utd arent as good as they can be credited to be.

the problem is al, ur opinion is massively coloured. although you present ur points in a decent enough style they still cant be taken seriously. for example you commonly say things like "im confused" as regards another persons post. ur not really confused but you are trying to place as much doubt on wat someone else is saying simply to benefit the line u are on (look up wat award ur nominanted for as regards clarification). saying "im confused" is ultimately futile. ur not really confused, u are just trying to force as much doubt into that situation to try and give the appearance of righteousness as is allowed. as is saying utd play a 4-5-1... not a modified 4-3-3... that would imply more exciting football, something Utd cant do because it doesnt suit you. so where does ronaldo play in a 4-5-1 ? on the wing or centre forward? ;)

overall al, u are wat u hate. u constantly contradict yourself to make wat u dislike look worse then it actually is. u would quickly complain about boggles although you dont see the irony yourself. your opinions arent valid as they are constantly sprayed with your by-line of "liverpool are perfect"... then when they are not you draw back into the common sensible line to not appear as unknowing as you are. there are veiled insults as soon as someone draws close to wat you are doing "stop stalking me man". theres no real substance to your "opinions" (dont you find that he who brings up the "fact" that its their "opinion" has no more to hide behind?) its all just a line. its all keeping within boundries that you yourself have set up. its a novelty. its a schtick. its nothing important yet it is on these forums... why? volume.
    your a nice guy, thats easy to see. but theres a very pathetic sense to wat drives your motivation and i hate seeing that, hence the rant. boggles is pretty funny but ultimately you wear the same outfit, one that has become transparent and boring. you want to get better at making a point and debating the beautiful game? lose the line, lose the attitude

Brilliant post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

this thread has lost touch with reality. anybody who says that messi is better no question is obviously wrong. 21 pages and counting proves that there is question...even longer more repetitive thread than any of the roy keane threads. wasreading it and there are about 3 schools of thoughts but they havebeen expressed for over 20 pages in circles...mods lock this thread plz

• Advertisement

mormank wrote: »
    this thread has lost touch with reality. anybody who says that messi is better no question is obviously wrong. 21 pages and counting proves that there is question...even longer more repetitive thread than any of the roy keane threads. wasreading it and there are about 3 schools of thoughts but they havebeen expressed for over 20 pages in circles...mods lock this thread plz

Only 16 for me. Still another 5 pages to go before the lock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Maradona is in a different galaxy to Ronaldo who is full of himself and up his own a$$ most of the time.!

Maradona wouldn't get near the United team, he is nearly 50 FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Boggles wrote: »
    Maradona wouldn't get near the United team, he is nearly 50 FFS.

He was right next to Tevez in a couple of pictures. How near do you want them to get Boggles, you got a bit of a dark secret you want to share? :pac:

eZe^ wrote: »
    you got a bit of a dark secret you want to share? :pac:

Like I am really Mr.Alan? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Carturo wrote: »
    Brilliant post.
    +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Jazzy,

I aint really what you think i am at all.

Few of things that ruin your well put together post.

1-i like boggles, and more often than not stick up for him
    2-Utd a lot of the time play great attacking football, i would never argue with that
    3-Ronaldo is, for the most part, a winger
    4-Ronaldo is an amazing player, i have never said anything different
    5-I love Liverpool obviously, but i am aware they have many many many many faults as a club

See, i think part of the issue here is that you are actually attributing opinions as being mine that actually arent, simply because they may be said in a thread that i post in?!

I think its your perception of me that you hate-problem is, i am not like you perceive me at all from the points you made above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

1. Messi
    2. Kaka'
    3. Xavi
    4. Rooney
    5. Torres
    6. Ibrahimovic
    7. Gerrard

Ronaldo would be 8,9,10 for me. I would rather have all of the above in my team any day.

BTW, how did the world's 1,2,3rd best player in the world play yesterday in the 0-0 draw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Jazzy,

I aint really what you think i am at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

1. Messi
    2. Kaka'
    3. Xavi
    4. Rooney
    5. Torres
    6. Ibrahimovic
    7. Gerrard

Ronaldo would be 8,9,10 for me. I would rather have all of the above in my team any day.

In that case you are insane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

1. Messi
    2. Kaka'
    3. Xavi
    4. Rooney
    5. Torres
    6. Ibrahimovic
    7. Gerrard

BTW, how did the world's 1,2,3rd best player in the world play yesterday in the 0-0 draw?
    I agree with 5 of that 7 but Ibrahimovic? What are you smoking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Ah, fair enough. You and Tauren, or whatever his alias is now, should get married.

My sisters friends cousin is married to Cristiano's brothers cats minder and says he's a gobdaw. So, as a person I am in the first row and can make any judgment I like. But I wouldn't call him "fat".

People, you need a little perspective. Get some distance and stop circling the waggons every time someone disagrees with your opinion. C Ronaldo is a superb player, the most talented there is today. But an asshole.

I apologise to all for this post.

Lesson: Do not post when under the influence of a bottle of Cabernet.

Again. I am sorry and intended no offence, just some joshing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    I agree with 5 of that 7 but Ibrahimovic? What are you smoking

You obviously haven't been watching him this season nor last.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDr71KzFy9c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Jazzy wrote: »
    isnt it just.

sums it up better than i ever could.

+10000

can this thread go back on topic please.

silly people with an axe to grind shouldn't be allowed ruin it tbh.

if any of ye have an issue with me, bring it to feedback or report the posts, or watever it is you do-dont ruin other threads by having a pop at me.

cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

can this thread go back on topic please.

silly people with an axe to grind shouldn't be allowed ruin it tbh.

if any of ye have an issue with me, bring it to feedback or report the posts, or watever it is you do-dont ruin other threads by having a pop at me.

cheers.

Yeah I agree. If you lot want to continue your argument do it by Private message or how about start your own thread where it is actually relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

I think it is generally excepted that United would not have won the Prem or CL without Ronaldo, that is why Ferguson fought so hard to keep him, who cares if he is a pr1ck off the pitch, people pay to watch him on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Ibrahimovic is what you would classify as a youtube footballer.

It's all very well and good to show clips of brilliance to make him out to be Gods gift to football, but what youtube doesn't show you is how the player for the most part does absolutely f-all for the other 85 mins of the match.

Ibra does score some quality goals from time to time, but I'd rather a player to tap in 42 goals a season than score 10 absolute screamers in the same timeframe.

You obviously haven't been watching him this season nor last.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDr71KzFy9c

And have you even been keeping tabs on Ronaldo? Ibrahimovic got 9 league goals from open play last season, Inzaghi managed 11 and he is 35, you wanna have a rethink? :rolleyes:

First 2 seasons at Inter Ibrahimovic scored 37 goals, Ronaldo last season 42 :rolleyes:

One more of these :rolleyes: to enfisize how ridiculous your list is.

deise59 wrote: »
    Ibrahimovic is what you would classify as a youtube footballer.

It's all very well and good to show clips of brilliance to make him out to be Gods gift to football, but what youtube doesn't show you is how the player for the most part does absolutely f-all for the other 85 mins of the match.

Ibra does score some quality goals from time to time, but I'd rather a player to tap in 42 goals a season than score 10 absolute screamers in the same timeframe.

I hate it when people who don't watch Serie A lambast Ibra because they assume he's a goalscorer with a poor record. His main perogative is to set up his teammates. He gets a truck load of assists every season. He's one of the strongest centre forwards around with a phenomenal touch who scores outrageous goals once every 7 matches. Unbelievable player

• Advertisement

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I hate it when people who don't watch Serie A lambast Ibra because they assume he's a goalscorer with a poor record. His main perogative is to set up his teammates. He gets a truck load of assists every season. He's one of the strongest centre forwards around with a phenomenal touch who scores outrageous goals once every 7 matches. Unbelievable player

How many assists had he last season?

How many assists had he last season?

Used to be up on Wikipedia but for some reason it's not there anymore, I'll try and find it now.Goalswise he was second top scorer in all competitions in Italy last year anyway.

Edit: Last year he got nine, more than any other Inter player. I know it's not exactly truckloads but it was relative to his team and considering he scored more than usual a drop-off was natural

1. Messi
    2. Kaka'
    3. Xavi
    4. Rooney
    5. Torres
    6. Ibrahimovic
    7. Gerrard

I'm sorry but your post lost all credibility with that. Rooney is vastly overrated due to the purple patches he goes through every year. He is simply not consistent enough to be talked about with the world's best.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but your post lost all credibility with that. Rooney is vastly overrated due to the purple patches he goes through every year. He is simply not consistent enough to be talked about with the world's best.

His posts lacks all credibility but it's not because Rooney is 4th in the list.

Lads has anyone ever repeated scoring 40+ in consecutive seasons. The only one I can think of is Henrik Larsson. I know he got 53 one year and Rush got 47 for Liverpool in 84. Shearer and Cole both scored 40 something but only once.

His posts lacks all credibility but it's not because Rooney is 4th in the list.

Well the Ibrahimovic thing was already dealt with so I went with the Rooney angle. Both equally baffling.

• Advertisement

He is simply not consistent enough to be talked about with the world's best.

Neither are Kaka or Gerrard. The list is not top 7 big game players who go invisible during a bunch of matches

Well the Ibrahimovic thing was already dealt with so I went with the Rooney angle. Both equally baffling.

Ibra, who scored the most goals and got the most assists for the club that won the league. How is that bad.

Really, too question Ronaldo's position as best in the world last season is stupid. He had the best season that I've ever seen anyone have ever.

Be fair to Rooney thou last season he was asked to play alot out of position, consistency and finishing are his problems, but still his stats last season were impressive. Himself, Tevez and Ronaldo led an attacking line that was unmatched in europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

100% agree with you on this.
    Rooney is undoubtedly a top quality player. But his unerring knack to disappear and do sweet **** all for long periods at a time certainly wouldn't give him top ten status.

Frisbee wrote: »
    100% agree with you on this.
    Rooney is undoubtedly a top quality player. But his unerring knack to disappear and do sweet **** all for long periods at a time certainly wouldn't give him top ten status.

And Ronaldo does not do this also ? Even more so than Rooney.

• Advertisement

i think he means long periods of a season, as opposed to a game.

Ronaldo consistantly tears it up all year long-Rooney doesnt to the same extent and for weeks/months can look average.

ok, makes more sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

i think he means long periods of a season, as opposed to a game.

Ronaldo consistantly tears it up all year long-Rooney doesnt to the same extent and for weeks/months can look average.

Yeah sorry I meant per season, not per game.
    When Rooney is on form he seems to be everywhere on the pitch during a game and you can see how much it means to him which is refreshing in todays footballing climate.
    However he just can't seem to maintain that hot streak for medium to long periods.

Whereas Ronnie will do nothing for a game before firing in a goal or two and do this week in, week out.

redout wrote: »
    Lads has anyone ever repeated scoring 40+ in consecutive seasons. The only one I can think of is Henrik Larsson. I know he got 53 one year and Rush got 47 for Liverpool in 84. Shearer and Cole both scored 40 something but only once.

Anyone got an answer to this bar Pele and anyone think Ronaldo will do it ?

I watched everyone of Uniteds games last season, the simple truth is United didn't look the same team when Rooney was not playing.

United lost 5 league games, Rooney didn't play for 4 of them, the one he did play in was against Chelsea at the bridge and he wasn't fully fit but still managed to score.

I watched everyone of Uniteds games last season, the simple truth is United didn't look the same team when Rooney was not playing.

United lost 5 league games, Rooney didn't play for 4 of them, the one he play in was against Chelsea at the bridge and he wasn't fully fit but still manage to score.

Couldn't say the same about this season though. It's criminal that he is starting ahead of Tevez at the moment (when Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez and Berbatov are all fit).

That is because he is the only player we have who can take a game by the scruff of the neck and lift everyone around him. Keane had that trait also but had more of an effect because he scared half of them.

Couldn't say the same about this season though. It's criminal that he is starting ahead of Tevez at the moment (when Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez and Berbatov are all fit).

Not really.

Rooney was on fire when Berbatov joined United, Berb cost 30+ million and needed the game time, it was the right choice at the time to drop Tevez who actually himself was playing brilliant.

Against Villa, Rooney and Tevez were as bad as each other. Plus Ferguson in recent matches has dropped Rooney in favour of Tevez, against Celtic and West Ham.

Well from a City point of view I would much rather be facing Rooney on Sunday than Tevez.

Well from a City point of view I would much rather be facing Rooney on Sunday than Tevez.

Well you say that, but you have to remember Rooney took no part in yer 2 historic wins last season.

• Advertisement
Advertisement