Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronaldo "I am the 1st, 2nd, 3rd best in world

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

I hope everyone does realise that ronaldo was taking the mick when he said what he said.
    I hope everyone realises that ronaldo takes the piss alot.
    If anything hes immature, along with half the united squad that he has great relations with.
    A bit more maturity on the pitch, and then we might be able to think about Ultra-domination of the Premiership like the 90s.
    However, who gives a **** if they take the piss off the pitch, i enjoy watching/reading about their antics, dont you?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSNv3hupVIQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=671288
    Abuse of Ronaldo like taking a beating

Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson described the abuse that Cristiano Ronaldo has to deal with as like being "hit over the head with a bat."

"Some criticise him, say that he couldn't take it on Saturday, but I wonder how many people can take it if you're walking down the street and someone hits you over the head with a bat," Ferguson said. "That's the mantle you carry when you're a great player. He knows that and he gets on with it."

Bahahahaha quite possibly the single most ridiculous comparison I have ever heard in my life.

Seriously I'm all for managers defending his players but come on Fergie! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

only1stevo wrote: »
    I hope everyone does realise that ronaldo was taking the mick when he said what he said.

Are you saying that you think Ronaldo doesnt think he is the best in the world? that he doesnt think he is the greatest/one of the greatest of all time?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Carturo wrote: »
    That, is a ridiculous statement. Why not mention every footballers smug, petulant footballer? Or is Ronaldo now the only one?

Then you haven't seen much of Zidane.

I didn't say anything like he's the only one, but he is certainly the worst, and like I said is a fine example of everything wrong in football. He himself is not everything wrong but and example of it. I hope that's a little clearer.

I've certainly seen alot of Zidane. Quiet now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,448 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

He has a belief that he is the best at the moment or at least deserves the Ballon D'Or as not one came close to matching his achievements last season. Do i think he believes he is the best footballer ever, no, if asked to give a serious answer he would probably say Pele, or Maradona or Eusedio(sp), but he probably does believe he is up there among the greats. He may be wrong, and at the moment probably is. But last season his goal scoring form was phenominal and I would say it was one of the best seasons from any player, ever, in terms of goalscoring.

I would say he was certainly having a laugh with the 1,2,3 comment and the comment at the Giggs DVD do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Are you saying that you think Ronaldo doesnt think he is the best in the world? that he doesnt think he is the greatest/one of the greatest of all time?

Why is it a crime to think you are the best at something? Especially someone who has millions of people who think the same?

Unearthly wrote: »
    Why is it a crime to think you are the best at something? Especially someone who has millions of people who think the same?

Its not a crime-i dont think he should ogo to prison or anything :eek:

but to think you are the best at something in itself isnt really a bad thing-a little arrogant maybe, to say you are the best is not particularly classy and very arrogant, to think/say you are one of the greatest ever, when you are clearly not, is VERY arrogant.

why are people even arguing about this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Boggles wrote: »
    Your Sig is huge.
    this is not the place nor time for discussion on my sig, if you have an issue with it, go to feedback.

Never said they were. United fans have said alot of good things about Ronaldo but there is no evidence of it in your huge Sig. Why, if you think he was easily the best player in the world last season?
    Because I chose not to. I think his childish behavior is a lot more amusing than some of the things he may do on the pitch.

I'd say your are more than quite amused, borderline obsessed would be more correct.
    Not obsessed at all,although if there was a case for obsession you seem to be making a good one.

Hobart quoting the dictionary does not make you intellectual.
    And there you go again, failing to grasp a single thing I've said, you're making a habit of this boggles, and doing yourself no favours tbh.

There is a saying about arguing and idiots, and I'm beginning to see the merit in it.

but to think you are the best at something in itself isnt really a bad thing-a little arrogant maybe, to say you are the best is not particularly classy and very arrogant, to think/say you are one of the greatest ever, when you are clearly not, is VERY arrogant.

So you can think you are the best and that is ok, you just can't say it....

As for people arguing it... some people think he was being a little bit humorous in his replies. coming off a season of 42 goals for his club and a number for his national side, he has every right to view himself as one of, if not the best around at the moment, i would say last season he was the very best player around. As for all time, no he wouldn't be, but again, i don't think he considers himself to be the best ever either.

This season he has been poor imo.

Hobart wrote: »
    this is not the place nor time for discussion on my sig, if you have an issue with it, go to feedback.

Because I chose not to. I think his childish behavior is a lot more amusing than some of the things he may do on the pitch.

Not obsessed at all,although if there was a case for obsession you seem to be making a good one.

And there you go again, failing to grasp a single thing I've said, you're making a habit of this boggles, and doing yourself no favours tbh.

There is a saying about arguing and idiots, and I'm beginning to see the merit in it.

some nice subtle personal abuse there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,918 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

To have any chance of being the best, you have to believe you are the best. This is a characteristic of a lot of sporting greats, Ali, Schumacher, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Jordan, Usain Bolt.

A lot of footballers have this characteristic, right now, Ronaldo is the best in the world, his next step is to become the best ever.

astrofool wrote: »
    To have any chance of being the best, you have to believe you are the best. This is a characteristic of a lot of sporting greats, Ali, Schumacher, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Jordan, Usain Bolt.

A lot of footballers have this characteristic, right now, Ronaldo is the best in the world, his next step is to become the best ever.

I can't see Ronaldo ever becoming the best ever - doesn't have the game to do it. As he is a midfielder, he goals aren't he defining characteristic - his ability to create, and to boss a game would be remembered more. Ironically, imo, I reckon if he was a striker people would have a higher opinion of his play because it would simply be his goalscoring record people would focus on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

I can't see Ronaldo ever becoming the best ever - doesn't have the game to do it. As he is a midfielder, he goals aren't he defining characteristic - his ability to create, and to boss a game would be remembered more. Ironically, imo, I reckon if he was a striker people would have a higher opinion of his play because it would simply be his goalscoring record people would focus on.
    But he's not a Kanschelkis or Giggs-type winger - in the last two seasons, he's played as something more like a wing forward than anything else. So you can very easily judge him on his goals and (ever more rare) assists rather than on his ability to "boss a game" in open play.

And on that count, he ranks very highly as someone who can finish very well when his team and his movement get him into dangerous positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Hobart wrote: »

Sums you up really, you choose to highlight what you percieve to be the lad off the pitch but choose to ignore his record breaking achievements on it.

No one is asking you to love Ronaldo, but you are being, Unreasonable, overly irritable, ill-tempered and peevish towards him, which funnily enough is what you pointed out the definiton of petulance to be. ;)

So you can think you are the best and that is ok, you just can't say it.....

exactly.

In the same way someone could know they are the richest man in town, but if they went around bragging about how rich they were, it'd be arrogant.

Its not complicated. Bragging about oneself is not an admirable trait. A bit of humility goes a long way.

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    But he's not a Kanschelkis or Giggs-type winger - in the last two seasons, he's played as something more like a wing forward than anything else. So you can very easily judge him on his goals and (ever more rare) assists rather than on his ability to "boss a game" in open play.

And on that count, he ranks very highly as someone who can finish very well when his team and his movement get him into dangerous positions.

I'd agree - but whether he plays as a wing forward (like Henry at barcelona) is neither here nor there when people view him as a winger in the more traditional sense.

Happens to a number of players. People think Lampard and Gerrard are wold class central midfielders and are perplexed when they fail to perform in central midfield for their country. Its cause the position they show their class in is the freer AMC role, where their talents are put to best use.

e
    Its not complicated. Bragging about oneself is not an admirable trait. A bit of humility goes a long way.

"Ronaldo Joked..." What part of those 2 words can't you grasp?

exactly.

In the same way someone could know they are the richest man in town, but if they went around bragging about how rich they were, it'd be arrogant.

So if I'm a billionaire oil tycoon, and you are working for minimum wage and scraping by - if you ask me with one of us is richer i'd have to say i don't know? Its not like Ronaldo is ringing up NotW and saying I'M THE GREATEST! He isn't running round town telling random strangers he is the best for no reason at all. When he is asked questions he answers them in a way that amuses himself (and others) and he answers truthfully a lot of the time too.

Is he proud of his performances last season? Yeah, of course he is and he should be allowed to acknowledge that. Does he think his performances last season merit winning the Ballon D'Or, yeah, as do many many others, so why not say it. Does he think there are other great players around? Yeah, such as Messi, and Torres - does he mention then when being more serious? Yeah.

Do I think he is arrogant and cocky on the football pitch, more so then many other footballer, yeah - do I care, not really. Cantona and Henry were two of the most arrogant footballers around when at their best. Off the pitch was a different story. Ronaldo isn't as good with the media and showing himself in a good light as he should be given his exposure. He should get the good things he does exposed more, he should be more carefull in his replies. He shows, above all in the media imo, naivety. His arrogance does show through, but people just love to blow it out of proportion.

I've said things to people that if taken seriously would be considered extremely arrogant, i'm sure you and everyone else has. Difference is the people we say these things to generally either know us and know we are messing, or give us the benifit of the doubt. Those that don't do either, we don't waste our time on mostly (unless they are hot, or our boss...)

Lads, this is not the first arrogant thing Ronaldo has ever said! add into the mix his behaviour over the summer and it is very fair to have a negative opinion on him

When the awards were announced;
    the viper wrote:
    "Sincerely, yes I'm confident, If you assess what I did over the course of the season, I think I did more than everyone. What else should I have done to win the Ballon d'Or and the FIFA award?"

Again, technically, there is nothing wrong with wat he is saying, as i've said, he was amazing last year, its just actually saying that, is arrogance.

compare to Torres on being nominated-
    Torres wrote:
    "When I have watched the Ballon d'Or presentation on television I saw the likes of Zinedine Zidane, Ronaldinho and Kaka. I told myself that trophy was for players from another galaxy. Now I am among the candidates, and I cannot believe it. Winning the award would be like climbing to the top of Everest and touching the sky."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Lads, this is not the first arrogant thing Ronaldo has ever said! add into the mix his behaviour over the summer and it is very fair to have a negative opinion on him

When the awards were announced;

Again, technically, there is nothing wrong with wat he is saying, as i've said, he was amazing last year, its just actually saying that, is arrogance.

compare to Torres on being nominated-

One will win one won't :pac:
    he is being truthful - If Torres had said what he said he would be lying

Sums you up really, you choose to highlight what you percieve to be the lad off the pitch but choose to ignore his record breaking achievements on it.
    I getting a bit sick of this tête à tête tbh. I highlighted what has been said by Manu fans about this guy, because I find duplicity quite amusing. I also acknowledged his achievements last year (have a look at your sig ffs), that's called a bit of balance. If you still want to stick your head in the sand and trolly off in a "la de la la" type way, belt ahead. I'm not entertaining you anymore.
    No one is asking you to love Ronaldo,
    Well spotted
    but you are being, Unreasonable, overly irritable, ill-tempered and peevish towards him,
    And your point is?
    which funnily enough is what you pointed out the definiton of petulance to be. ;)
    No it's not. It's my definition of what petulant is, but then again I probably just being petulant pointing that out to you. :D

kida wrote: »
    One will win one won't :pac:
    he is being truthful - If Torres had said what he said he would be lying

I think you are kind of missing the point i was trying to make tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Ronaldo definitely doesnt think he is the best player of all time, he knows he was by far and away the best last season, because he was, and he knows at the moment he is the best, because he is.
    I would say he also knows he can become one of the greatest if not the greatest if he continues his form.
    I certainly don't think he thinks he is the greatest.

only1stevo wrote: »
    Ronaldo ?definitely? doesnt think he is the best player of all time, he knows he was by far and away the best last season, because he was, and he knows at the moment he is the best, because he is.

best at the minute? you're having a laugh right?

best last year-yes. not nearly this season so far tbh.

we can just agree to disagree-i think he thinks he thinks he's the best ever (or at least there abouts), and i have video evidence (link a few posts back:D)), you dont ;)

best at the minute? you're having a laugh right?

best last year-yes. not nearly this season so far tbh.

we can just agree to disagree-i think he thinks he thinks he's the best ever (or at least there abouts), and i have video evidence (link a few posts back:D)), you dont ;)
    your video evidence could very easily be him having a laugh.

• Advertisement

your video evidence could very easily be him having a laugh.

i agree, it could. he aint laughing though. and combined with the other arrogant ****e that comes from his mouth, i dont think anyone would be suprised if he was serious.

You don't always have to be laughing for something to be comical.

Ever watch Frasier, Seinfeld, Friends... any comedy at all. Ever watch stand up comedy? Note how they aren't always laughing in the delivery of the funny lines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Another one of Ronaldo's many talents: standup comedy!

I, for one, believe he has the potential to be the best standup comedian in the woooooorld! :D And boy, he'll let you know it too! But in a funny way :)

You don't always have to be laughing for something to be comical.

Ever watch Frasier, Seinfeld, Friends... any comedy at all. Ever watch stand up comedy? Note how they aren't always laughing in the delivery of the funny lines?

Are you now comparing Ronaldo to some of the best comedy of the last 20 years? is there anything this man can't do?! ;)

I understand he may be joking, its more than reasonable and i am more than entitled to think he isn't though.

If it is more than reasonable that he is joking, by your own admission you are therefor being less than reasonable with your assertation. No very nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Carturo

mayordenis wrote: »
    I've certainly seen alot of Zidane. Quiet now.

Of course you're going to say that, for the sake of your argument. See Valencia last night showboating at 1-0 up? I suppose you've seen a lot of him too. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Carturo wrote: »
    Of course you're going to say that, for the sake of your argument. See Valencia last night showboating at 1-0 up? I suppose you've seen a lot of him too. :rolleyes:

That was against Everton though so that's allowed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Good to see that Pep Guardiola can see the funny side of Ronaldo.

http://www.marca.com/edicion/marca/futbol/champions/es/desarrollo/1187156.html

He said that we know messi is decisive but we dont know if he is the best in the world. The he goes on to say that if you ask Ronaldo then Messi must be the fourth best as Ronaldo says he is the first, second and third best. No !

redout wrote: »
    Good to see that Pep Guardiola can see the funny side of Ronaldo.

http://www.marca.com/edicion/marca/futbol/champions/es/desarrollo/1187156.html

He said that we know messi is decisive but we dont know if he is the best in the world. The he goes on to say that if you ask Ronaldo then Messi must be the fourth best as Ronaldo says he is the first, second and third best. No !

Aye, sure Messi would not make the top 10 of some posters here, good to see he it at least ranked 4th by Guardiola. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Meanwhile on SKY Italia, Ferguson was asked whether Ronaldo deserves to win the Ballon d'Or, to which he replied (with a smile):

"If Ronaldo doesn't win the Ballon D'Or this season I will quit as manager."

Three of Ronaldo's main competitors for the golden ball are Barcelona's Lionel Messi, Real Madrid's Iker Casillas, and Liverpool's Fernando Torres.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1716/champions-league/2008/11/23/977812/ronaldo-is-over-rated--incomplete-marcos-senna

Ronaldo Is Over-Rated & Incomplete - Marcos Senna

Villarreal captain Marcos Senna has reportedly labelled Manchester United’s Cristiano Ronaldo as having an ‘over-rated’ importance at the Red Devils and insisted he is not a ‘complete player’.

And according to the News of the World the Spanish star appears to be clearly unimpressed with the Red Devil.

“Cristiano is a great player and I once said he made up 50 per cent of United’s strike force,” said Senna.

“Now I think I over-rated his importance. When Cristiano does not score, his role is limited. Yes, he is fast, but countless step-overs are not necessarily productive.”

Ronaldo limped out of United’s goalless draw with Aston Villa yesterday and is now a doubt for the Villarreal game.

Yet Senna clearly does not believe the hype that surrounds the Portuguese player and views Ronaldinho as a better footballer.

“He is not a complete player like Ronaldinho in the good times,” explained the Villarreal skipper.

“He used to score, take penalties, free kicks, dribble, give accurate short and deep passes, assist and run everywhere.”

United travel to Spain on Tuesday to meet Villarreal with both sides hoping to improve on the goalless draw the two sides shared at Old Trafford in their opening Champions League encounter of the season.

I make this the third player in a week to give Ronaldo an ear bashing. Senna along with the two Brazilians last week (technically 3 Brazilians !). He has got to be one of only a handful of players in the world who even gets other players to criticise him.

Yet a majority of them voted him FifPro player of the year, how strange.

Even funnier, imo, is if Ronaldo came out and started slagging off other players people would be jumping up and down with rage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

shock as euro championships winning team mate to iker casillas, marcos senna says that ronaldo(whos portugese btw) doesnt deserve the award.

there comes to a stage where you just have to let it go redout and accept that he just might not be that bad a guy.
    and yes, neil is very right there - why isnt senna considered an a$$hole for knocking another player? if ronaldo said the same, what do you think you'd say about him ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

eh, since that came out before the united villareal game it was hardly meant as a hype interview or a wind up the star player tactic :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Jazzy wrote: »
    and yes, neil is very right there - why isnt senna considered an a$$hole for knocking another player? if ronaldo said the same, what do you think you'd say about him ?

If Ronaldo said that about Senna, Marcus would probably break both his legs in a 'tackle' :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Messi has come out and said he thinks Ronaldo deserves and will win the Ballon D'or. He's just letting Ronnie warm it up for him until next season. :pac:

• Advertisement

eZe^ wrote: »
    Messi has come out and said he thinks Ronaldo deserves and will win the Ballon D'or. He's just letting Ronnie warm it up for him until next season. :pac:

Pffft.

Kuyt has it already wrapped up for next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Pffft.

Kuyt has it already wrapped up for next season.

Hahah, ok, Ronaldo and Messi can fight it out for 2nd spot.

Pighead wrote: »
    Remember the Champions League Final?

Ronaldo- Scored

Messi- At home watching the game on television.

That doesnt say much either. in 2005 many world class players were at home watching UCL final on tv whilst Messr's Biscan and Djimi Traore picked up Champions league trophy. You'd hardly say they're better now would you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

no, but it's a little hard to ignore the fact that Ronaldo won the two hardest competitions to win in Europe while Messi's mantlepiece was blank

Bubs101 wrote: »
    no, but it's a little hard to ignore the fact that Ronaldo won the two hardest competitions to win in Europe while Messi's mantlepiece was blank

to be fair you have a good point. At the end of the day the trophies won will clinch who gets it but i think messi is a better all round player in my opinion. has more presence and influence on big games, and thats not anti man united talk from an arsenal fan either if thats what you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Take your anti-Man United talk elsewhere, Arsenal fan! :mad: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

i think messi is a better all round player in my opinion.

The award is not for the best player, it's for the one who played the best last year, Ronaldo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

to be fair you have a good point. At the end of the day the trophies won will clinch who gets it but i think messi is a better all round player in my opinion. has more presence and influence on big games, and thats not anti man united talk from an arsenal fan either if thats what you think.

really? honestly how much do you watch Messi?

kryogen wrote: »
    really? honestly how much do you watch Messi?

in all honesty i dont have sky so therefore i dont see alot of la liga mores the pity, but recently i seen messi in the nou camp give an absolute exhibition v Atletico Madrid and any champions league match i have seen him in versus the likes of chelsea and man united, plus in games for his country, i have been very impressed with him.

Better then Maradona? absolutely not at this point in time but is a wonderfully gifted footballer who can get better and better.

Ronaldo is also a great player and does score in the big games but i cant help feeling he doesn't give enough throughout the duration of the game, though ultimately as previous posters have stated, it is the accolades won this year that will define world player of the year/ ballon d'or

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Pighead wrote: »
    Remember the Champions League Final?

Ronaldo- Scored

Messi- At home watching the game on television.

well if we are to use that then

Remember the Champions League Final 2007?

Kuyt- Scored

Ronaldo- At home watching the game on television

Advertisement