Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Garth Brooks Irish?

Options
  • 17-11-2008 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Does anybody know if Garth Brooks is of Irish heritage? Country music is based on the traditional Celtic music, and I assume the name "Brooks" is of Irish descent. Can anybody corroborate it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

I dunno, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't an extra in Cowboy Bebop, so seems like a strange forum to ask the question in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

You seem to have the Internet and know how to type, why don't you type in Garth brooks wikipedia on google.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

An awful lot wrong with your post.

1. Wrong forum.

2. Brooks isn't Irish, it's English.

3. Country music isn't "based on the traditional Celtic music". It is one of the many many influences coming from many many countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I've heard it all now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

podge018 wrote: »
    3. Country music isn't "based on the traditional Celtic music". It is one of the many many influences coming from many many countries.

Most country is just southern rock with slide guitar and some fingerpickin'.

But in the case of Irish country music they also have people from Cavan signing with funny accents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

This is Irish country music

BigTomSWYCin.jpg

mike_denver.gif

Johnny Cash died for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Savman wrote: »
    I've heard it all now.

You have to love the randomness of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭seanvox

garth brooks is a ****ing wanker and an embarrassment to real country musicians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 verygood

u have no understanding of music, he was in ireland in 97 and filled croke park stadium for 3 nights, so anyone that does that...:D

Anyone who does that proves how many people there are with awful taste in music

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

I love garth brooks. He is the best. There are rumours that he is coming to ireland again. Nothing has been planned yet but i am living for the day. I suppose it'l never happen if tomorrow never comes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭DerKaiser

Brooks is a German name, and the origins of american country come from all over the world

To be honest I'd be quite glad to find out he is NOT indeed Irish, we have enough musical embarrasments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

verygood wrote: »
    u have no understanding of music, he was in ireland in 97 and filled croke park stadium for 3 nights, so anyone that does that...:D

and Hitler drew quite the crowd aswell...... your point?

why would someone search thru page after page to find this pointless thread

thank Christ he isn't Irish, his musics bad enough without tin whistles and fiddles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Acoustic

seanvox wrote: »
    garth brooks is a ****ing wanker and an embarrassment to real country musicians

thats why he's sold 127 million solo albums just in the us alone , 2nd to the beatles and about 100million more around the world and is worth a ****e load , while you sit at home pulling ur plumb and listening to take that

i dont think he'd give a toss if he's considered a legend etc , he has the money , fame , women

what have you got ??

soul

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Celtic088 wrote: »
    Does anybody know if Garth Brooks is of Irish heritage? Country music is based on the traditional Celtic music, and I assume the name "Brooks" is of Irish descent. Can anybody corroborate it?
    brooks is a very old[medieval]english name and still common in the uk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

Acoustic wrote: »
    thats why he's sold 127 million solo albums just in the us alone , 2nd to the beatles and about 100million more around the world and is worth a ****e load , while you sit at home pulling ur plumb and listening to take that

i dont think he'd give a toss if he's considered a legend etc , he has the money , fame , women

what have you got ??

Thats a typically Irish comment , Lady Ga Ga could do the same over a few years does that make her brilliant ?.Fame is no barometer for talent . Brooks does not compare to Johnny Cash, Hank Williams or Jim Reeves.

BumbleB wrote: »
    Thats a typically Irish comment , Lady Ga Ga could do the same over a few years does that make her brilliant ?.Fame is no barometer for talent . Brooks does not compare to Johnny Cash, Hank Williams or Jim Reeves.

difference is lady ga ga would only sell because s e x sells fact

is garth brookes a justin timberlake ?? i think not

plus lady ga ga would never sell 250 million records

he's sold that amount since 1989 to 2001 which is phenomenal

regardless of talent or not , he's a happy man while ur on the net bashing peoples talent

regardless of talent or not , he's a happy man while ur on the net bashing peoples talent

Jay Z sold millions of records and headlined glastonburydoes that make him talented ?.
    I bet u never listened to real C and W in ur whole life.

i bet you were one of those losers who took up line dancing in the 90s

• Advertisement

lol !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

what have you got ??

Sales volume isnt exactly the most reliable indicator of musical quality.
    Take a look at the "classics" that comprise the top selling singles in Ireland:
    http://www.irishcharts.ie/top_twenty/toptwenty.htm

ceegee wrote: »
    Sales volume isnt exactly the most reliable indicator of musical quality.
    Take a look at the "classics" that comprise the top selling singles in Ireland:
    http://www.irishcharts.ie/top_twenty/toptwenty.htm

The hips don't lie is the only decent song .Dont see Mr Brooks there with all his fame and burrds like .

Animal Song ,

Title: Jumbo Breakfast Roll Pat_Shortt.jpgArtist: Pat Shortt Label: SonyBMG Company: SonyBMG Year: 2006

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

BumbleB wrote: »
    Jay Z sold millions of records and headlined glastonburydoes that make him talented ?.

His performance at glastonbury imo confirms that he is talented, especially as there were a lot of sceptics in the crowd won over by him. Not to mention some of his albums are amongst the best popular music releases of the past decade or so

ceegee wrote: »
    His performance at glastonbury imo confirms that he is talented, especially as there were a lot of sceptics in the crowd won over by him. Not to mention some of his albums are amongst the best popular music releases of the past decade or so

agreed, Jay Z has sold a sh*tload of records ur man is tryin' to pass Brooks off like he's freddie mercury .The Beatles didn't have itunes or the promotion engine that all acts have now .

first and foremost , im not a lover of garth brookes ok end off

jay z is talented

and yes i havnt listened to real c and w ( i have a life )

what i was trying to get into your head is , he sold a shiit load and is minted so wether he has talent or not i cont care

he has alot more than most

wow your a tough man , im crying here it was so auwful :)

go listen to boy george ye fag

despite me professing a love for real country music you think I'm a homosexual and into boy george

weeiiird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Music-and-booze

haha most ridiculous thread ever

• Advertisement

wow your a tough man , im crying here it was so auwful :)

go listen to boy george ye fag

Just shows u how much u know about country .Boy george never did a country song u dope !.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement