Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Garth Brooks Irish?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Acoustic

did i say he did ??????????

personally i do think country western music is for old farts and colostomy bags , and homo's

my original point was , garth brookes doesnt have what he has for being **** , there for he has some talent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

for your information, as a music producer I can say country music is the most advanced form of music out there. Country music session are the best guitarists in the world .Country guitar picking is really hard to perform.Jimi Hendrix went to nashville as a mediocre guitarist and came out a legend .I have the utmost respect for country music session musicians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

Celtic088 wrote: »
    Does anybody know if Garth Brooks is of Irish heritage? Country music is based on the traditional Celtic music, and I assume the name "Brooks" is of Irish descent. Can anybody corroborate it?

Just to answer this, his mother has got irish roots in cork. Just finished reading a new book that came out about his life and career, called The Garth Factor by Patsi Bale Cox. It was a great read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

BumbleB wrote: »
    for your information, as a music producer I can say country music is the most advanced form of music out there.

This is an old post, so perhaps I'll get no response. In my mind, country music would be one of the less advanced forms of music that I've listened to. Can you please direct me to some tracks that would be more advanced than say:
    Milestones (Miles Davis)
    Cantata No.78 (JS Bach)
    Butterflies and Hurricances (Muse)
    Disturbia (Rihanna)
    November Rain (Guns 'N' Roses)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭seanvox

The Flying Burrito Brothers - Hot Burrito #1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Just shows u how much u know about country .Boy george never did a country song u dope !.

Are ya sure.......... he guest-starred on an episode of The A-Team titled "Cowboy George".

seanvox wrote: »
    The Flying Burrito Brothers - Hot Burrito #1

Didn't do much for me on first listen, but at least it had a bit going on in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭xseanx

garth brooks is a ****ing wanker and an embarrassment to real country musicians

Shut the hell up.

xseanx wrote: »
    Shut the hell up.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

cfitz wrote: »
    This is an old post, so perhaps I'll get no response. In my mind, country music would be one of the less advanced forms of music that I've listened to. Can you please direct me to some tracks that would be more advanced than say:
    Milestones (Miles Davis)
    Cantata No.78 (JS Bach)
    Butterflies and Hurricances (Muse)
    Disturbia (Rihanna)
    November Rain (Guns 'N' Roses)

Are you taking the piss ?????????.:confused:

• Advertisement

Are you taking the piss ?????????.:confused:

Nah, I don't listen to country music much, and the country songs that I do like are mostly simple but heartfelt rather than 'advanced'. So I tried to list a few songs across different genres that I felt were 'advanced' (not sure how suitable a term that is to apply to a piece of music). What part of my question was confusing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

This has to be the most oddball thread I've read in a while.

cfitz, to be honest I don't get what you mean by advanced, is it good songwriting or good musicians you're after or what?

Seanvox, I was just quoting from this post:
    for your information, as a music producer I can say country music is the most advanced form of music out there.

I see yeah, but just out of interest what is advanced about the list of songs you posted?

sorry I mean what do you consider to be advanced about them

sorry I mean what do you consider to be advanced about them

Well I didn't put a huge amount of thought into the list, they were just decent examples - I suppose it's how the different instruments/lines fit together that impresses me most generally.

Milestones has a very nice main figure, and the two lead instruments work really well together making really loose variations on that figure.
    Cantata No. 78 has really nice harmonies throughout.
    I haven't listened to Butterflies And Hurricanes in ages but it stuck in my head for some reason, good use of climax and dynamics maybe.
    Disturbia is definitely one of my favourite pop songs of the last few years - there are lots of different vocal parts in the song and they all fit together seamlessly.
    November Rain uses vocals, piano, and guitar as lead instruments at different stages of the song without any of them seeming to copy each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ArthurGuinness

Old thread I know but just back from Vegas where I saw the man himself was very good. He talked about his love for Ireland and its people and talked of his own Irish ancestry mother was Collen Carroll who's parents immigrated from Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭burgermasters

agreed, Jay Z has sold a sh*tload of records ur man is tryin' to pass Brooks off like he's freddie mercury .The Beatles didn't have itunes or the promotion engine that all acts have now .

Garth Brooks does not allow his music to be sold on itunes as he wants each album to be sold together and rightly so, he has also out sold the beatles evlis and many more, he once sold out a 1 night gig in central park of 250.000 in under 60 mins (fact) and as for talent? the man has a degree in advertising he turned down a shot to play pro football baseball ect for oaklahoma, instead he wrote and played music! and dam is he good at it, oh and by the by? he took country music out of the slump it was in and brought it to the world,.:cool::D

Moved from bands and musicians

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Closed 'cause it's mad old. I don't reckon BumbleB is keeping up to date with this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement