Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl, what's the quality like?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Sunday is a waste of time if you are shopping in Lidl. Often the shelves are bare, no veg and no milk. They seem to only get deliveries during the week. Mondays and Thursdays seem the best times for fresh produce. Only downside is that those are their special offer days and the stores will be full of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I was in Aldi a couple of weekends ago and they had fresh bread on a Sunday which was amazing because no bloody other supermarket does and I always seem to need fooking bread on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

cormie wrote: »
    Is that a good or bad thing though I've always wandered. Sure it's convenient, but how is it lasting so long? Without any knowledge on it, my first guess would be more chemicals sprayed onto them?
    I doubt it as most of the stuff I buy there is organic. Anyway, spraying with pesticides or herbicides isn't going to do anything to stop stuff going off. I personally think it's just fresher going into the shops to start with. Most stuff is Irish grown as well, so it would be subject to the same rules and regulations as any other Irish grown vegetables. I doubt very much that Lidl/Aldi order their suppliers to spray stuff they supply to them with extra pesticides somehow!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Sunday is a waste of time if you are shopping in Lidl. Often the shelves are bare, no veg and no milk. They seem to only get deliveries during the week. Mondays and Thursdays seem the best times for fresh produce. Only downside is that those are their special offer days and the stores will be full of people.
    Must be your local store. The one in Greystones where I shop usually has pretty good stock on Sundays, which is when I'm there mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Alun wrote: »
    I doubt it as most of the stuff I buy there is organic. Anyway, spraying with pesticides or herbicides isn't going to do anything to stop stuff going off. I personally think it's just fresher going into the shops to start with. Most stuff is Irish grown as well, so it would be subject to the same rules and regulations as any other Irish grown vegetables. I doubt very much that Lidl/Aldi order their suppliers to spray stuff they supply to them with extra pesticides somehow!

Yeah hopefully that's it :) On the subject of veg getting old, I've potatoes that have been lying there for about 2 months, they've started sprouting, now I was told before they are fine to eat and sometimes even better? I'm not so sure though :o I also have carrots that still look ok, but have been there a few weeks in the fridge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

There is nothing wrong with lidl food. As regards their meat, they use the same suppliers as the major multiples I'd imagine. A couple of years ago my wife and I purchased a standard roasting chicken from Lidl in Galway. We got it home unwrapped it and found a St. Bernard label on the styrefoam base. The chicken was grand and a good three euros cheaper than Dunnes.

Riv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I love the milk from lidl & aldi. All the other milks in plastic cartons have a weird taste off them, whereas theirs is lovely. Buy my bread, butter, milk, 1 or 2 cereals, biscuits, bars, kitchen roll, kidney beans, tinned tomatos, aldi chilli sauce, rice, pasta, frikadellen burgers, eggs, frozen wedges, ice cream, frozen fish, frozen veg, fresh veg & fruit. Only ever buy my meat from the butchers. Some things are hit & miss, but most are grand & very cheap.

Someone here said they buy their toilet roll, but I think it's more expensive than kitten soft, andrex etc.

Their offers are brilliant too - I bought a black micro fleece yesterday in Lidl for €7.99! My dad has bought both a lap top & computer from them in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Got 9 rolls of TP for 3.59 today, 2 ply (luxurious :P). That's pretty good as far as I know?

Advertisement