Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ginger Cookies

• 17-11-2008 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭

Or biscuits, whatever you want to call them. They're fantastic, all sweet and gingery!

INGREDIENTS
    280 g self raising flour
    3 g salt
    10 g grated fresh ginger (use 20-40g, it's an American recipe and they're wimps)
    170 g butter, softened
    200 g white sugar
    2 tbsp Lyle's black treacle
    1 egg
    200 g white sugar (for rolling the dough in)

DIRECTIONS
    In a large mixing bowl, combine flour and salt. In a separate bowl, beat ginger, butter, and 200g sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in treacle and egg. Gently fold in flour mixture until just combined. Chill for 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 180C

Roll dough into 1 1/2 inch balls and then roll them in sugar. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. (Be careful not to oversize them - they'll get too thick and go all over the place)

Bake until edges start to brown, about 20 minutes. Centers will be slightly soft. Let stand on cookie sheets 1 minute and remove to racks to cool completely.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

This looks good, I always end up with ginger left over that goes off eventually!

Molasses though - any substitute or is this readily available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

readily available in tesco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,520 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Confab wrote: »
    10 g grated fresh ginger (use 20g, it's an American recipe and they're wimps)

Heh. :)

Sounds great, I love ginger cookies.

I tried making regular softbaked cookies before, and I was staggered by the amount of sugar in them. Tasted good though. Might give these a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

Malari wrote: »
    Molasses though - any substitute or is this readily available?

Molasses is more commonly known as black treacle in Ireland/UK. The best known brand in Ireland is Lyle's Black Treacle it comes in a very distinctive red tin. It should be available in even the smallest of supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

robfitz wrote: »
    Molasses is more commonly known as black treacle in Ireland/UK. The best known brand in Ireland is Lyle's Black Treacle it comes in a very distinctive red tin. It should be available in even the smallest of supermarkets.

Aha, I know it well! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Sorry guys, I should mention that you might need to bake them a few minutes longer until they start to get crisp around the edges.

Advertisement