Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

'09 Current Model Avensis with heavy discount or New model

Options
  • 17-11-2008 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

Here's the dilemma - been offered a '09 Avensis (current model) for 6 grand less than the RRP. VERY tempted - I know the new model looks the business but if it's down to cash and I'm not too bothered about "keeping up with the Jones's" shouldn't I go for this deal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Might be a bit harder to sell on? What engine is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Don't forget to factor in the discount on the new model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Noooooooooooooooo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭DaveBH

Okay, say I push it and get 7 grand off the RRP (plus negotiate extras thrown-in) - wouldn't that be worth doing business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Dave, it all comes down to if you are an Avensis kind of guy or not. For the money you could get a far better car, the Avensis is a fridge on wheels, hence the big discount. But it will no doubt be dependable...yawn.

If it is the 1.6 don't take it, even if they are giving it away for free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

If it is the 1.6 don't take it, even if they are giving it away for free.

I'd bet anything that that's what the OP is getting a €6k discount on.

The diesel is still selling very well, and can be had for SFA more than the 1.6 if you go by the official list price.

After all Toyota Ireland were "advising" us to buy the 1.6 before the July VRT changes so you'd save €1,000 on the purchase price and €172 road tax per annum.

Amazingly:rolleyes::rolleyes: there was no such "advice" about waiting until after July when the diesel came down in price by €3,525 for the basic Aura, and the far more desirable Luna came down by €3,780. And you got your €290 road tax from the off in July, whereas if you had bought before July you were paying €590 until you renewed.

At the end of the day, when it comes to selling the car on, when given the choice between a 09 1.6 old shape petrol with €630 road tax, or a the new model with only €156 road tax, which one do you think people are going to want, especially when the diesel will do 55.4 mpg on average, will have 16 bhp more and no less than 103 lb ft more torque than the petrol? Oh and the petrol does 39.2 mpg too, the same as a BMW 330i believe it or not(even though the Bee-Em has a big 3.0 petrol it is no less economical than a 1.6 litre Avensis).

Even the new model petrols offer a significant improvement on emissions, the motor tax on the 1.8(don't know if we're getting the 1.6 or not but I don't see any need for it given that the diesel will be €156 for road tax) will be €302 compared to the €630 bill if you go for the old model car.

Advertisement