Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No maths for 4 weeks.

Options
  • 17-11-2008 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭

So as the title said our class is without a maths teacher for the past 3 weeks and this is the start of the 4th. Our teacher is doing a course which means shes in 4 weeks out 4 weeks etc. Now this was fine as we were meant to have the same sub to fill in for her and they would do different topics, it worked fine for the first for weeks and after, but now we are left with no maths teacher. The principle has put our sub into a french class for the past few weeks as that teacher is out sick. So we are left with a sub who doesn't teach maths and cant.(we just study/do our home work) Its not the 2nd subs fault as she was just put in place by the principle. Parents are ringing up all the time but still nothing has been done. We are a leaving cert pass maths class and we all feel we could fail the subject. Anyone else ever experience anything like this before? Its really pissing us all off and its all down to the principle.

Sorry about the rant :D any comments or suggestions would be great if any of you had any problems like this in the past.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 howtobeknown

our english teacher is out sick and she might be out for about a month. Poor woman shes class teacher. Higher level english with a sub just great...:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

our english teacher is out sick and she might be out for about a month. Poor woman shes class teacher. Higher level english with a sub just great...:p

least you got a sub ;D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

My maths teacher was out for 2 weeks without a sub. Just keep yourself occupied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 howtobeknown

on what the girl next to me ha!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Did your teacher tell you what chapter you'll be doing next? Have you tried going through new stuff yourself? The textbooks are alright really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

on what the girl next to me ha!!!

You took the words out of my mouth :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Ask the teacher to do extra classes after school when they come back. They can hardly say no like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

In third year our maths teacher disappeared for three months without any excuse/warning, and then came back as if nothing had happened. We had a sub for two of those weeks, an actual maths teacher like...

In all fairness, it was the junior and we didn't really care as we'd covered most of the course, so we just f*cked around and did our homework...

But considering this is your LC and it means a lot more, points wise and everything, I'd start going back over old stuff, rather than trying to learn new stuff cos you'll only get frustrated and blaaahh cos you ccan't work it out. Go over stuff you've already done, do questions on stuff you didn't fully understand, and start doing questions from the exam papers on the topics you have covered....

Even if you're not progressing through the course, you'll be at least doing something productive, and with maths, it really is a case of practice makes perfect, even if it is a pain!

Hope things sort themselves out soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Lol...I wish my mants teacher was out for a months :D.

Is there anyway you cant get out of LC maths actually...I do pass LC maths and Im terrible???...Im great at everything else besides maths.

Seloth wrote: »
    Lol...I wish my mants teacher was out for a months :D.

Is there anyway you cant get out of LC maths actually...I do pass LC maths and Im terrible???...Im great at everything else besides maths.

Unless you have a specific learning disability that qualifies you for an exemption, no. The only other option is to do foundation level, but that really limits your college choice prospects. Best thing to do is just stick ordinary level out imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I was in a similar boat last year.
    My English teacher abandonned her higher level class from October to April, it was a disaster. We got in a variety of subs who weren't even qualified teachers but people in the middle of 3rd year arts and stuff :rolleyes:
    The worst bit was that the english teacher in question lived near me and I used to see her out in the evenings and around town and stuff!
    The frustration!
    I went through stuff by myself, but that's not as easy for maths. It's not even easy for english... but easier! I was always an A1 student so I'm blaming my A2 on that whole situation.
    I think most people in my class were getting grinds though, so if you can get grinds you should. Obviously that's not an option for everyone. Just as someone said earlier, when she comes back you should definitely ask her to do an hour or two a week after school to get the course covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

We have our 5th english teacher for higher english now since the start of 5th year. Or original teacher is an alocholic and keeps leaving and then coming back, and then leaving almost stright away again. she's awful anyway so I'm just glad to get someone else

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

ive not had french in 3 weeks.
    my teachers been sick and hasnt thought a full week all year.
    also school cant get funding for a sub.
    eeep!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

ive not had french in 3 weeks.
    my teachers been sick and hasnt thought a full week all year.
    also school cant get funding for a sub.
    eeep!

Last year, our french teacher went to France for 3 months, came back for a week, and went away for another 2 weeks (on student exchange thing with 5th years)

I'd suggest if a bunch of the class got together and tried teaching yourselves? Or asking a past pupil the curriculum and what needs to be learned etc. Surely, there is more than one french/maths teacher in the school.

Stick to pass maths! I know people last year who cried tears of joy because they passed maths. There were more congrats to the people who managed to get a D/C in Pass than a C/B in higher! (Obviously, those who got As/high Bs, were praised too)

Advertisement