Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher education Access routes. HEAR / DARE 2010!!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

jay dubya wrote: »
    okay, thanks for the advice, and sorry for the text speak!

I gave them a ring this morning, they said there was some kind of delay and they should receive the letters and begin to post them out the beginning of next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭Ditzie

The person who goes to an average school and has an average amount of money has to work hard to get into the place they want, it's not fair that somebody else can work less hard, get lower points, and steal the other persons place.

That is the most stupid thing i have ever heard, you obviously don't realise that people who qualify for hear DON'T STEAL ANYONE'S PLACE, THERE ARE ALREADY PLACES RESERVED FOR THEM! so look into these things before you go around accusing people of "stealing"!!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Ditzie wrote: »
    That is the most stupid thing i have ever heard, you obviously don't realise that people who qualify for hear DON'T STEAL ANYONE'S PLACE, THERE ARE ALREADY PLACES RESERVED FOR THEM! so look into these things before you go around accusing people of "stealing"!!! :mad:

Yes, 5% of places are set out for HEAR and 5% of Places are set out for DARE. No need to go mad at that poster who was being a bit of a selfish moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭!?!

i just rang them now, apparently they were sent out yesterday (heard that before) and we should get them before the results come out....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Just to clarify, so I'm certain about this, the Leaving Cert results are released next Wednesday. So on that day will the round one points tariffs for this year be in that supplement in the Times? Also, still heard nothing about the review!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

unknown13 wrote: »
    Yes, 5% of places are set out for HEAR and 5% of Places are set out for DARE. No need to go mad at that poster who was being a bit of a selfish moron.

Wait til he gets the shock of his life by discovering many people go to college with no Leaving Cert. at all.
    :D

spurious wrote: »
    Wait til he gets the shock of his life by discovering many people go to college with no Leaving Cert. at all.
    :D

I know what is it again about 25% of places go to mature students.

unknown13 wrote: »
    I know what is it again about 25% of places go to mature students.

yeah it's 25%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

guys just got the dare latter now
    to them i can spell 100% i cant spell 2 words with out a spell chicker
    just because my reading is very stong is a pain to what ireland is like
    they said in the worlds s.hitist looking latter ever
    there was a administrative error but that was no good for them i cant spell and has done every test on tape for the last 6 years and now i cant get anything from this qfter getting help for yearsi cant notting and can not go to a real collge because of this what is wrong with fu.cking ireland if your a farmer you get every thing but if your not who gives a fuc.king s.hit
    after ringing ucc now ring dare nope ucc is the right one who runs this i have been passed around by so many over this
    after my 3rd iphone 4 does not work they sendet me a 2nd hand one after paying 300 euros for a phone
    and now this on top can it get any worse for me come on how s.hit is my life
    nobby will help me on anything

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Just came today, review was successful! woohoo :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭shamoono

Just got my letter through the post I was succussful and I started jumping around the place. :D:D:D

So anybody else thinking of going for Pharmacy in TCD with HEAR I need to know what I'm up against.
    :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Review was unsuccessful. Majorly pissed off! Just as a side note, if you have 295 points and you apply for a course that requires 300 points would you stand any chance of getting in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭citizenerased1

hear,*******

<mod> Do it again and you'll say goodbye for a while</mod>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kittycat91

My review was unsuccessful, ***********, i didn't get HEAR because they said I'm not in a low income family and we're not in receipt of a social welfare payment, even though I live with just my dad and we depend solely on the social welfare....

IRELAND SUCKS.

<mod> Do it again and you'll say goodbye for a while</mod>

Review was unsuccessful. Majorly pissed off! Just as a side note, if you have 295 points and you apply for a course that requires 300 points would you stand any chance of getting in?

You MUST get 300 points to get on the scheme.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Some HEAR applicants in this thread are not exactly covering themselves in glory.

If you were unsuccessful, that's disappointing, but it's not the fault of the HEAR staff and it is not a licence to call them names on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Dr. Ring

Im sorry, but you can't really blame people for being angry and upset. I'm another HEAR review applicant that got turned down for reasons unknown to myself (even though a HEAR representative I have been speaking to assured me that I met the criteria and indicators). I mean, exactly how destitute do you have to be? In years gone by, applicants were selected on a personal basis through interviews with HEAR staff. Why has that been changed? Surely dealing one-on-one with potential HEAR students would prove more successful for both parties as applicants could plead their cases and the staff could decide then whether or not to proceed.

I'm really annoyed by the system this year. HEAR, like DARE, is a programme to help students who will need it, financially, emotionally, etc...

Alot, and I mean ALOT of students who rightfully deserve a HEAR place have been turned down this year because a stupid computer believed candidates were unsuitable. What a load of ****.

I know not getting into HEAR isin't the end of the world for most people, but it is a major blow for the rest (myself included), who really need the extra financial assistance and guidance that follows. The reduced points basis would also help people such as myself.

Because of this, I reckon I'm gonna have to take a year out. I didn't do great in my HPAT and I thought I may be about 30 points short of Medicine (715 points) when my results come out. HEAR could have provided me with another chance to do Medicine without having to repeat the HPAT next year. But now thats just not a possibility!

They NEED to change the system back to the way it was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 musicman92

review not accepted!...I'm majorly annoyed at this, I wouldnt mind if I was even borderline on the low income section but they seemed to have pulled 20,000 euro out of thin air. The low income indicator was the only one I needed so I'm moreso angry at the blatant lying on behalf of HEAR than the fact I didnt get accepted. also the fact they didn't give any reason for why people weren't accepted is ridiculous. strongly worded letters anyone ? also thinking media involvement :p

review not successful! :mad: so annoyed because I failed on the low income indicator which is total crap! the only people i know who got the grant are farmers sons/daughters and I'm raging cas i really needed the extra points :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭DC09

Dr. Ring wrote: »
    Surely dealing one-on-one with potential HEAR students would prove more successful for both parties as applicants could plead their cases and the staff could decide then whether or not to proceed.

This would take too much time and money for them to bother I suppose..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

i had spelling of 6% and reading of 14% i lost out on 4% and after dealing with ucc. i have been told that the person who looked over my review is going to ring me on monday and the head of the dare thing to becasue i cant read or white very well

but with this you can only get picked if your not doing hl english and with that you cant go to ucc ucd etc with out that

this is the funnyist thing ever becasue i did not one ans out of anyone today
    just lieing about what they told me there last weak and how hard is it to give interviews because just get every one who is looking at hear to go to one place in there local vec and do it over a day one mouth to do this is it that hard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

spurious wrote: »
    Some HEAR applicants in this thread are not exactly covering themselves in glory.

If you were unsuccessful, that's disappointing, but it's not the fault of the HEAR staff and it is not a licence to call them names on boards.

+1

I have sympathy for any of you guys who feel hard done by, and by all means use this thread to vent your frustrations, but do not use abusive language against the HEAR staff.

It was three years ago when I was accepted for HEAR and a lot of things have changed since then. Their funding has been cut A LOT and they unfortunately cannot accomodate as many people as before. From my conversations with the HEAR staff at UCC it was obvious that they were frustrated and disappointed with the cuts in funding; they genuinely want to help as many people as possible.

So yeah, it sucks that some of you guys didn't get in. But give the staff a break, because I can pretty much guarantee that they would help you if they could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Dr. Ring

Yeah ok, point taken. I suppose it's not the staffs fault, but rather the systems. It's just so aggrevating when you are well, WELL below the low income indicator and yet they believe your well above.

Maybe some media coverage is also warrented though. Peoplw need to realise that this country depends on the continuous cycle of students going into, and graduating, college. And for many, HEAR makes this an easier transition.

There are alot of people this year who have most certainly been hard done by and the SYSTEM needs to be changed.

I do apologise for any negative comments towards HEAR staff though.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭!?!

I had to review because some of my info was completely ommitted, they didn't bother checking why i had nothing written down for that particular indicator they just said no.

Im wondering in which of the following cases a person would get offered a place for HEAR:

1. A student meets all entry requirements, gets highest grades in English French Geography etc.(subjects which aren't logic based) and gets the highest points for pharmacy.

2. A student meets all entry requirements, has 3 science subjects and maths at honours with A grades BUT gets maybe 100 less points than they should have.

shamoono wrote: »
    Im wondering in which of the following cases a person would get offered a place for HEAR:

1. A student meets all entry requirements, gets highest grades in English French Geography etc.(subjects which aren't logic based) and gets the highest points for pharmacy.

2. A student meets all entry requirements, has 3 science subjects and maths at honours with A grades BUT gets maybe 100 less points than they should have.

Not trying to be rude or anything here, but 100 points is a quite a bit less tbh. I would say person 2 would have a chance if they miss out by maybe 20 points, but not 100. Then again, I'm not sure how HEAR assess the different subjects, so I don't know to what extent getting A's in Maths and Sciences would count when applying for Pharmacy.

As for student 1, if they have the points and meet the entry criteria for both HEAR and their course then there's no reason why they wouldn't be accepted. It doesn't really matter if they were better at humanities subjects or science subjects.

You only get about 10-15% off the points required for the course.

Not trying to be rude or anything here, but 100 points is a quite a bit less tbh.

lool 100 points less would be 80% of the required points... im not expecting 100 points less just talking about worst case scenario but i'm pretty confident i would get just 50 points less.
    The process is so complicated I haven't an idea how HEAR staff pick out who should get the course.

Anybody know any HEAR staff I can ask?

It was three years ago when I was accepted for HEAR and a lot of things have changed since then.

Just out of curiosity what course were you offered for HEAR?

• Advertisement

Anybody know any HEAR staff I can ask?
    http://www.accesscollege.ie/hear/contact.php

^ That list has contact details for the HEAR staff at different colleges, so just contact whoever works at the college you're applying to.
    Just out of curiosity what course were you offered for HEAR?

Physics & Astrophysics at UCC. (I fortunately had enough points for my course though, so I don't really know how the whole "reduced points" system works)

unknown13: out of curiosity where did you find the 10-15% figure?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement