Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher education Access routes. HEAR / DARE 2010!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

unknown13: out of curiosity where did you find the 10-15% figure?

TCD disability officer she said it was generally 10-15% points allowance.

If people want to be sure about what colleges give what in terms of allowances they should get in touch with the necessary college/s.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭shamoono

Guys if you accept a HEAR offer in first round and go ahead to appeal your results and get better grades in october do you get a new HEAR offer if you got higher grades.

Or is it a just one offer and that's all you get sort of thing? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

through the disability service in my college got my course despite being 70 points short. I got the required grades though. I still do better than a lot of people who got in on points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

I got 425 pts, do you think that will be enough for BESS (475 last year) in TCD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭kmhenry

GA361 wrote: »
    SCANDALOUS :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    The points thing is an outrage.The financial aid is fine.But giving extra points. . :mad::mad::mad:That just p!sses me off.Damn double-standards:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:.

i know wat you're saying about the points thing but many candidates who get through with the HEAR can't afford grinds or go to schools with exclusive higher level classes to get them good grades. What's even worse is, before anyone starts saying that they have their teachers to help, many people from DEIS schools may be unlucky to not have as many good teachers as someone from the institute (as an example) (this doesnt apply to everyone and i'm not targeting teachers in DEIS schools..there are some amzing ones too but lets face it the institute teachers r employd der for a reason... but it is unfortunately a very much glossed over reality). As a result of this many HEAR students have some pretty rubbish teachers and may possibly have hardely any access to the material required to get as good points as someone who would have access. For eg. i go to a DEIS school and one honours irish teacher hardly ever covers the entire course and NEVER gives out notes which students can learn. After reading one of the poems they were instantly expectd to be able to write One Page of high quality irish without any assistance...as a result many HEAR students who could have got 70-100 points if they were in the hands of a competent teacher or if they could afford the private tuition, ended up doing Ordinary Level with the highest being a C. And you're saying that the Points reduction is Scandalous?????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭kmhenry

Beau x1 wrote: »
    You still have to absorb information in grinds, just because they hand you the notes doesn't mean you're going to get straight A's, you still have to learn them.

yes but many people from disadvantaged backgrounds can't even get access to the notes in order to learn them (eg. they may not have good teachers or afford the grinds)...thus they cant get as high points!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There is no need for anyone in this thread to be defending the principles behind HEAR and similar schemes.

If people who are not eligible for it have a problem with it, they'd best not start airing their outrage here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭citizenerased1

the old reduced points argument is gunna cum up over and over again but i gotta say..........

1280870064067.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mcc85

When do you find out if you got accepted on a course if your eligible for HEAR, will you find out on monday with all the offers, or do you have to wait until everyone gets there offers and then the HEAR places are offered to you?

mcc85 wrote: »
    When do you find out if you got accepted on a course if your eligible for HEAR, will you find out on monday with all the offers, or do you have to wait until everyone gets there offers and then the HEAR places are offered to you?

They offer it to you on Monday along with everyone else by CAO. What are you hoping to get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 mcc85

shamoono wrote: »
    They offer it to you on Monday along with everyone else by CAO. What are you hoping to get?

thanks, my sisters looking to get pyschiatric nursing in ucd.

does HEAR do second round offers? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

shamoono wrote: »
    does HEAR do second round offers? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I hope so

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

Hey guys, just wondering... I got offered a place in Maynooth on reduced points (I had 345, the entry is 375)

On the cao form I got in the post it says I scored 978 under MH101 (Maynooth) and has 345 under my other courses. Just making sure that everything is okay? I'm guessing it's how HEAR work out their shtuff, with the 900+ points and that.

Hey guys, just wondering... I got offered a place in Maynooth on reduced points (I had 345, the entry is 375)

On the cao form I got in the post it says I scored 978 under MH101 (Maynooth) and has 345 under my other courses. Just making sure that everything is okay? I'm guessing it's how HEAR work out their shtuff, with the 900+ points and that.

I think you got in under random selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

unknown13 wrote: »
    I think you got in under random selection.

What does that mean, exactly? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Curlyhatescurls

My friend got an offer for her course which was 500 points but with an asterix(*) and she got 500 points in the leaving, how does she find out if she got in without HEAR and just her own 500 points? Can she ring them or does it say on the offer that she got in under the HEAR programme? She needs to know so as to arrange accomodation as the HEAR applicants have to go to college a few weeks early.

* (asterix) means random selection will be taking place.

What does that mean, exactly? :P

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I got Maynooth on reduced points. Does this mean I got HEAR?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Curlyhatescurls

* (asterix) means random selection will be taking place.

Yes but she has gotten and accepted her place, how does she find out if it was because of HEAR or because she was lucky to have been randomly selected with her 500 points?

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I got Maynooth on reduced points. Does this mean I got HEAR?

Most likely. It means jack shít for the course you are doing. It will be the exact same as everyone else.

I'm surprised with NUIM Arts. UCD arts is now lower than NUIM arts but probably because of the other subjects like Psychology, Law and Business NUIM with their Arts programme

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Grace16

How do you know if you got HEAR? Does it say it on your form because i'm eligible but i can't see anything on my letter.....

Get a letter saying you are accepted and then you accept your offer normally

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Grace16 wrote: »
    How do you know if you got HEAR? Does it say it on your form because i'm eligible but i can't see anything on my letter.....

I rang DIT this morning about it because I was unsure as well. They write to you today if you were accepted into a HEAR place and let you know, so you should have the letter in the morning or wednesday at the latest.

I dont think I got a HEAR place tho because because I had 15 points more than were required for the course. Spose i'll find out tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭niamhocxox

Hey guys it doesn't make a difference if ye got it with HEAR or not. If ye got accepted to hear at the end of june ye still have to do the orientation even if ye got in using the points ye got. I got 475 in my leaving and accepted my first choice today which is 390 but i'm still supported by hear......

niamhocxox wrote: »
    Hey guys it doesn't make a difference if ye got it with HEAR or not. If ye got accepted to hear at the end of june ye still have to do the orientation even if ye got in using the points ye got. I got 475 in my leaving and accepted my first choice today which is 390 but i'm still supported by hear......

It does. I got 350 and my course went for 395. It made a difference to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Grace16

dannym08 wrote: »
    I rang DIT this morning about it because I was unsure as well. They write to you today if you were accepted into a HEAR place and let you know, so you should have the letter in the morning or wednesday at the latest.

I dont think I got a HEAR place tho because because I had 15 points more than were required for the course. Spose i'll find out tomorrow.

Thanks i wasn't too sure about what was happening. I got 20 over mine so i don't know if i'll get it either. We'll find out soon haha

It does. I got 350 and my course went for 395. It made a difference to me.

No the guys above got the points they needed for their course and they were wondering did they use HEAR at all so thats what i meant by it doesnt make a difference because HEAR will still support them anyway. Sorry for the confusion :o

Am I totally wrong in saying that even though I got accepted for hear, I got enough points for my course, (i.e not on reduced points) so they wont support me? The guy who came to our school about the programme said I would but I'm open to correction. I'm sorry if it turns out I was wrong because I told the guys a few posts above otherwise......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

dannym08 wrote: »

Sure you will. A large part of it is the extra grant, tuition etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement