Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher education Access routes. HEAR / DARE 2010!!

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

They will support you. You got in on merit but are still on the HEAR programme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭niamhocxox

Phew unknown13 you scared me :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

If you get enough points for your course, HEAR will still support you. It's not just for students who need reduced points. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

Hey guys, just wondering, if my points for my course are listed as 949, is that the random number I was given for random selection? I got 15 points over the course minimum, and I thought random selection was only if you scored the bare minimum?

And also, if I got my course without taking a HEAR place, what happens if I can't attend the 4 day orientation at the college? Does it mean HEAR won't support me during the year, or that I lose my college place altogether? And same question, if it was a HEAR place I was given?

Any input would be very welcome, there's no answer at the college, just an answering machine, I just want to make sure I have a place next week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jrk92

em me the same I got 9795 points! haha and I cant attend to the orientation. what should we do then?em I got enough points in my LC as well for the course:L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

jrk92 wrote: »
    em me the same I got 9795 points! haha and I cant attend to the orientation. what should we do then?em I got enough points in my LC as well for the course:L

If you cant attend the orientation week, only thing you can do is email the people in charge of the week at whatever college you are planning on attending and outline the situation to them. Most are pretty cool about and will let you off missing the week if your excuse is good enough.

Hey guys, just wondering, if my points for my course are listed as 949, is that the random number I was given for random selection? I got 15 points over the course minimum, and I thought random selection was only if you scored the bare minimum?

And also, if I got my course without taking a HEAR place, what happens if I can't attend the 4 day orientation at the college? Does it mean HEAR won't support me during the year, or that I lose my college place altogether? And same question, if it was a HEAR place I was given?

Any input would be very welcome, there's no answer at the college, just an answering machine, I just want to make sure I have a place next week :(

Once you have applied and been accepted to HEAR, they will support you throughout college. They cant take your college place away from you once you have accepted your course, its a bit more complicated than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭!?!

I'm applying for a student grant off studentfinance.ie and they say: "Have you applied for or will you be getting any other
    student financial assistance from Ireland or abroad for the
    2010/11 academic year?
    If Yes, please give details of all awards/funds from the awarding/funding body or Department and the full
    amount, including fees, that you will get in 2010/11:"

does HEAR come under this? because i have no idea how much money i'm meant to be getting off them!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

What is the criteria for the Hear programme? Like is there an maximum family income like mentioned in this thread.

I couldn't afford grinds schools or that, and 80% of my teachers were rubbish. Why should there be a points allowance for others?

Bit of a joke really. In hindsight though I should have looked into this more at the start of the year, I may have been eligible...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 HEAR20

Hello
    I did my Leaving Cert this year. I wanted to do nursing but I missed out on it by 10 points. My second choice is arts in UCC which I will get. I missed the deadline for HEAR application this year. Do you think I could do one year of arts and then apply through the whole CAO thing again and perhaps be eligible for the HEAR scheme for september 2011 to try and get into nursing? I know there wouuld be a problem with fees etc. but I could get a student loan or something? Any advice would be greatly appreciated:):confused::)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Grace16

!?! wrote: »
    I'm applying for a student grant off studentfinance.ie and they say: "Have you applied for or will you be getting any other
    student financial assistance from Ireland or abroad for the
    2010/11 academic year?
    If Yes, please give details of all awards/funds from the awarding/funding body or Department and the full
    amount, including fees, that you will get in 2010/11:"

does HEAR come under this? because i have no idea how much money i'm meant to be getting off them!

Erm i said yes and then said "I have been accepted to the HEAR scheme however i won't know the full amount until the CAO offers come out" but that was sent about a month ago.
    I had to do another form and sent it today and just said "I was accepted however i don't know the if i have been given a place in the college HEAR programme" That was probably not the right thing but i didn't know what else to put down

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

I got arts in UCD on a reduced points basis - delighted.

Will HEAR pay anything toward course fees?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Zephyr91 wrote: »
    I got arts in UCD on a reduced points basis - delighted.

Will HEAR pay anything toward course fees?
    Don't think so. You get an extra grant though!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

theowen wrote: »
    Don't think so. You get an extra grant though!:)

Hmm....will the maintenance grant pay for fees dya know? ha.

An extra grant? i'm intrigued...jeez I really do know very little about HEAR, other than I love it. :p

Zephyr91 wrote: »
    Hmm....will the maintenance grant pay for fees dya know? ha.

An extra grant? i'm intrigued...jeez I really do know very little about HEAR, other than I love it. :p
    It varies year to year, was around a thousand last year I think. Sure if you get a nice enough maintenance grant you don't have to pay the fee atol!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭shamoono

hey guys,
    I accepted and offer for Pharmacology in UCD through HEAR which is part of the science programme. I was wondering if it would be possible to change course from Pharmacology to Physiology/Neuroscience since I want to do medicine as a graduate.

Any advice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

shamoono wrote: »
    hey guys,
    I accepted and offer for Pharmacology in UCD through HEAR which is part of the science programme. I was wondering if it would be possible to change course from Pharmacology to Physiology/Neuroscience since I want to do medicine as a graduate.

Any advice?

Contact the University admissions office and they will give you the answears and info you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Areq

I haven't accepted any course yet , but how do i know if i got the offer through HEAR or not ? .. i had like 400 and my course was like 350 .. but how do i know if HEAR will support me ???? i don't really think i got the course offer through the favour of reduced points .. but who knows ... How do i know if they will support me in college ? If they won't i will have the problem with paying the fees .. :confused:

Areq wrote: »
    I haven't accepted any course yet , but how do i know if i got the offer through HEAR or not ? .. i had like 400 and my course was like 350 .. but how do i know if HEAR will support me ???? i don't really think i got the course offer through the favour of reduced points .. but who knows ... How do i know if they will support me in college ? If they won't i will have the problem with paying the fees .. :confused:

Having Hear does not only mean reduced points from the CAO, it also entails financial and acedemic assistance throughout your time in college. Once you have applied to Hear and been originally accepted/not told you have been unsuccesfull then you are fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭LadyGaga!

Areq wrote: »

Regardless of whether you go in on merit or reduced points, HEAR will support you by giving you academic support.

Also, please note that to be exempt from the student charges you'll need to apply for a maintenence grant; HEAR has nothing to do with this and if you don't apply you'll have to pay the €1,500+. You can print the form here: ~~~.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 jessychan!

I got science at trinity through HEAR but i want to study speech and language therapy i jus didnt get the points..so im sending some lc exams back for rechecks..would it be possible that if i went up in points to transfer to speech and language therapy with the help of reduced points by HEAR?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭shamoono

would gym bag full of clothes, towel etc. be enough for this orientation programme in ucd lol?

shamoono wrote: »
    would gym bag full of clothes, towel etc. be enough for this orientation programme in ucd lol?
    Probably. Just think of it has 5 days down the country or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mickmurphy92

how much does hear act give ya cause the "social benefits" are great nd all but money is wat i really need..??

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jrk92

have you guys got any financial support from HEAR yet?Because I missed the orientation week and I havent a clue if u got anything:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭niamhocxox

No not yet, I'm in NUI Galway, they said the middle of october though.....have you given in reciepts? You can only get the money if you have. Best to contact the HEAR person in your college.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement