Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher education Access routes. HEAR / DARE 2010!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

Got my HEAR letter just now, and my application was successful! Woop! Good luck to all the rest of yis still waiting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

accepted! fcukin delighted, thats the first thing thats gone right since the Leaving began:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Unsuccessful. FFS :mad: I think I'll use the review service, I'm pretty sure there was some error in the one of the indicators.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭shamoono

Unsuccessful.
    Can anyone tell me would a Telecommunications Officer be considered for any categories in socio-economic grouping where they previously worked. Also if Huntstown area in blanchardstown is disadvantaged?

I am asking for quiet a lot but any help would be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭christmasinjuly

Yipppe I was successful! I am delighted :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭!?!

has anyone ever reviewed? what's the best way to do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭christmasinjuly

A girl I knew actually was unsuccessful last year ,so she rang up the college she applied for and they helped her review it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 pinkfish

i GOT A LETTER FROM HEAR TO SAY I WAS SUCCESFUL THIS MAY SOUND REALLY SILLY BUT CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME HAT THIS MEANS EXACTLY??:confused::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Can someone tell me if my brother gets accepted to it for this year, does that mean I won't be able to apply for it next year? :o Sorry if it's a stupid question, I just don't have a clue!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I was successful last year (repeating) and unsuccessful this year, even though nothing's changed. Boy I love this system. Living in a single parent family with my mother getting less hours than she actually had last year and somehow we're over the income threshold.

• Advertisement

If your after applying to one of they colleges which accepts Hear then it can mean you can get accepted with 80-90% of the points required for the course. You can also gain some financial help from them, and help with your studies.

From the site:
    The following are examples of the type of supports available:

An orientation programme to introduce students to university/college
    Extra tuition if required, study skills, exam preparation
    One-to-one meetings with student advisors, social gatherings, mentoring
    A bursary when available, advice regarding grants and scholarships

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me if my brother gets accepted to it for this year, does that mean I won't be able to apply for it next year? :o Sorry if it's a stupid question, I just don't have a clue!
    You can still apply and get the HEAR, it's just it'll go against you. One of the questions is: "Does your family have a history of going to college?". To which you can answer yes. But its only a small thing going against you!:D

I was successful last year (repeating) and unsuccessful this year, even though nothing's changed. Boy I love this system. Living in a single parent family with my mother getting less hours than she actually had last year and somehow we're over the income threshold.
    Appeal sure!:confused:

theowen wrote: »
    You can still apply and get the HEAR, it's just it'll go against you. One of the questions is: "Does your family have a history of going to college?". To which you can answer yes. But its only a small thing going against you!:D

Oh right, he got accepted into it today anyway, so hopefully I still have a chance! Thanks for telling me btw! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 gazzacarroll

unsuccessful :( im short one indicator, not in a DEIS school, not in a disadvantaged area, my dads a welder,mother housewife! niether have been to college :p just dont get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

Successful!:D

I kinda knew I would be, were fairly poor, but I wasnt sure if I was going to get a letter:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Tbh, his brother starting this year wouldn't suggest a "history" of college-going to me.

If there's any space to write beside the box on the form (even if not an official answer space!), I would be inclined to tick NO and add a brief note: "My brother started college last year (supported by HEAR) ... he is the first in the family to do so." (if he is ofc!)

Tbh, his brother starting this year wouldn't suggest a "history" of college-going to me.

If there's any space to write beside the box on the form (even if not an official answer space!), I would be inclined to tick NO and add a brief note: "My brother started college last year (supported by HEAR) ... he is the first in the family to do so." (if he is ofc!)

Yeah, he is. Thanks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭citizenerased1

im the same and i didnt get in either...::(
    im actuallly so annoyed by it :(, totally gonna appeal!:mad:
    looks like i won't be going to college...

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭pecker1992

ok seriously i need urgent help..i was unsuccessful but i rang them and i actually am eligible for it i have all 6 indicators..i put a wrong document in with my application and that was the grounds they refused me on!!!! ive appealed it..it says they wont accept any new documentation unless it was lost in the post but is this necessarly new documentation i mean its just the wrong year :(.ive t.d's appealing my case to them also and there all adament i should get it..what should i do next as i cant go to college without it :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Dublin4Life

Still no letter from DARE , I better ring them tomorrow and find out WTF is going on

pecker1992 wrote: »
    ok seriously i need urgent help..i was unsuccessful but i rang them and i actually am eligible for it i have all 6 indicators..i put a wrong document in with my application and that was the grounds they refused me on!!!! ive appealed it..it says they wont accept any new documentation unless it was lost in the post but is this necessarly new documentation i mean its just the wrong year :(.ive t.d's appealing my case to them also and there all adament i should get it..what should i do next as i cant go to college without it :(
    Repeat?

Surely Tallaght is classed as a disadvantaged area?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Surely Tallaght is classed as a disadvantaged area?!

You could be from Foxrock and get accepted onto the HEAR programme. They take everything into account.

unknown13 wrote: »
    You could be from Foxrock and get accepted onto the HEAR programme. They take everything into account.
    If your from fox rock I doubt you'd fit into the compulsory income bracket:p

Point taken though:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

If your from fox rock I doubt you'd fit into the compulsory income bracket:p

Point taken though:cool:

There are less well off areas in every suburb to be fair.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Dublin4Life

anyone have the CAO number phone number?? ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

anyone have the CAO number phone number?? ,

Look at their website for the contact info.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭pecker1992

Repeat?

no man this is my first time doing it...im seriously screwed if i dont get this :(

• Advertisement

pecker1992 wrote: »
    no man this is my first time doing it...im seriously screwed if i dont get this :(

Same here. Do I have to ring the CAO before I request a review? I'm certain Tallaght is classed as a disadvantaged area, so possibly there's been an admin error. Do I just submit my request for a review or discuss it with the CAO first?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement