Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Resession Proof Cars...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

ambro25 wrote: »
    My new boss is on his fifth or sixth 928 (currently a GTS, actually - the previous one was written off during Summer'07 in the "Sheffield floods").

I can tell you from 'close second hand experience' that it's most emphetically not an affordable proposition, whichever way you look at it or do the sums, and that it will have to appreciate a f*ck of a long way before the appreciation can begin to outpace the running costs :D

(you should see our company car park :eek:, between the 928 GTS, my scoob, one of the secretaries' Evo VI ... :rolleyes: I love being back here!)

is the only way to recession-proof your car.

drunkmonkey, I have an Impreza too, 2006 'eagle eyes' model. If your Impreza is an earlier 'face model', you could upgrade for a same 2006 'eagle eye' model: I believe these might depreciate least, since they were the last made in the 'proper' shape (as in: not looking like an uglyfied Astra!)

And I still have our Mk1 MX-5, now back on UK plates. 10 years old this year, in the family 8 years, looked after with no expenses spared. Recession-proofed to the hilt, as we'll most probably still have it by the time the next recession comes along in 10 or 15 years' time :D

+1 for the mx5. Mine was bought in recession times (1992) and hopefully it will weather this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

unkel wrote: »
    928s are generally very reliable mechanically.
    Some general remarks:

1. Porsche main dealer servicing is very expensive - best find a good indy
    2. Porsche parts are expensive
    3. A cambelt job will cost a bit more than in a VW Polo ;)

Indeed......968's even more so, 1/2 the no of cylinders = twice the reliability ?? :P :P

1. +1. There's one in Wales that charges only GBP35/hr.
    2. mmmm, depends. New discs for Eur 65 ? Can't see how to beat stuff cheaper than that tbh...
    3. GBP 475 for mine, all-in.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Can you be a bit more specific? What were the problems he was having? Maybe he just bought a knackered one?

Usually electrics and carburation, can't be more specific as you're talking ownership of several 928's over more than 10 years, and we don't have that close a friendship to discuss his car problems in detail over time ;)

Mind you, he drives like me, sooo... :pac:

Any-o, as I said, he's still going mad for them years and years on (bought his replacement GTS in late 2007, after the previous was sunk in the floods), so there must be something about these yokes to offset the bad kharma ;)

Personally, I'm still on track for a late Chimaera 4L, sometime in '09. Patience (and a timely recession) has worked for me in the end :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Usually electrics and carburation

I'm the first to state that leccy problems are legio. But most of these will not stop you driving the car...
    Usually electrics and carburation

Eh? :confused:

Even the oldest 928s have fuel injection iirc
    galwaytt wrote: »
    Indeed......968's even more so, 1/2 the no of cylinders = twice the reliability ?? :P :P

The 968 uses the same engine as the 928. Well, just half of it :D:p

Pretty impressive power output from it in the 968 though, far more per litre than they got out of the most powerful 928

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

drunkmonkey, I have an Impreza too, 2006 'eagle eyes' model. If your Impreza is an earlier 'face model', you could upgrade for a same 2006 'eagle eye' model: I believe these might depreciate least.

Nice car, i've got a proper jap 95 Sti, about as blunt as you can get in a car:)
    I've a normal enough day car as well, thinking of trading both of them in for something cool and a van.... was looking around for alternatives to a 06 Scooby....

This is completly not anyway pratical and it'll bankrupt me on running costs me but it might go some way to helping ease the pain of saying good by to the scooby.. http://www.carzone.ie/search/TVR/Tuscan/4.0-Spee/200845190767793/advert

@ everyone else, i'm presuming all these are fraud, what the hell is going on with carzone..?

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/M3/M3-CABRI/200846190852333/advert

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/M3/M3/200846190873728/advert

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/M3/Converti/200846190828435/advert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Pretty impressive power output from it in the 968 though, far more per litre than they got out of the most powerful 928
    ....indeed, and the Tip one has a fuel bill to match.

Manual much, much lighter - hovers around 26mpg.

But hey, no car payments = all good !! :D:D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Any car that has lost all its value, would be Resession proof.

e.g.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Fiat/Brava/1.4-SX,-/200845190756329/advert

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Any car that has lost all its value, would be Resession proof.

e.g.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Fiat/Brava/1.4-SX,-/200845190756329/advert

€825 is a bit steep for a 12v 1.4 that is 12 years old. The 1.2 16v is a better engine (I had a '99, sold it to a relative, still won't die).

If you do buy one, check out my signature!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

ambro25 wrote:
    carburation
    Eh? :confused:

Even the oldest 928s have fuel injection iirc

My bad, not using the correct terms of art: 'fuel management'. That better? :pac:

What's this, the "inquisition into 928 bashing" or something? :rolleyes:

I'm posting what I've seen and heard, and offerring an opinion based on same, nothing more. I certainly don't profess to have omnipotent knowledge about all things 928, never mind Porsche ;)

That is all.
    This is completly not anyway pratical and it'll bankrupt me on running costs me but it might go some way to helping ease the pain of saying good by to the scooby.. http://www.carzone.ie/search/TVR/Tuscan/4.0-Spee/200845190767793/advert

Oooh, but you have to see the thing in the flesh ...erm, metal. The owner of our regular pub has one in gunmetal, I can't help slavering everytime I walk buy it in the CP, even though I'm not a fan of that particular model (I like the front, not the @ss). And the sound, oh my, the sound of it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What's this, the "inquisition into 928 bashing" or something? :rolleyes:

You confused me, that's all. No need to get upset ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement