Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

When should a car go for a "tune up"?

Options
  • 17-11-2008 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭

Howaya?

Watching Top Gear the other night got me thinking - what bhp is my car running off? Its supposed to be 100, though the car is almost 8 years old.

For those that didnt see the show, Top Gear bought a Renault Avantime 3.0 V6 that should have been running over 200bhp. When put on the rolling road it was closer to 150bhp.

What, other than standard servicing, can keep a car running at its best? Changing the distributor cap and cables?

Any thoughts appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Fuel additives?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

mvpr wrote: »
    For those that didnt see the show, Top Gear bought a Renault Avantime 3.0 V6 that should have been running over 200bhp. When put on the rolling road it was closer to 150bhp.
    Wouldn't a rolling road measure power at the wheels, whereas quoted output is at the crank but net of ancillaries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

Valid point, overlooked that.

Any other ideas on keeping bhp up? Is it just plugs/air oil and fuel filters?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd say it's basically down to replacing anything that has worn.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

O xegen sensors and airflow sensors too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Anan1 wrote: »
    Wouldn't a rolling road measure power at the wheels, whereas quoted output is at the crank but net of ancillaries?

Correct for most cars.

But when they did a service on the car it got back up to 206bhp and AFAIK it was supposed to be around 220/230bhp

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Del2005 wrote: »

But when they did a service on the car it got back up to 206bhp and AFAIK it was supposed to be around 220/230bhp

The Avantime puts out 210 from new. I think to be within 4 bhp after 6 years is doing well.

I was amazed a service upped it by 50bhp (and moreso that it could lose and gain so much from changing/not changing oil, filters and plugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Stekelly wrote: »
    The Avantime puts out 210 from new. I think to be within 4 bhp after 6 years is doing well.

I was amazed a service upped it by 50bhp (and moreso that it could lose and gain so much from changing/not changing oil, filters and plugs.

Thanks wasn't paying much attention to the original bhp.

It was quite shocking, but I think they did more then a standard service. I think they mentioned doing something to the head, maybe gas flow, and a few other bits and pieces

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Didn't they do injectors on it and a few other bits out of the norm service?

Advertisement