Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Full Service History

Options
  • 17-11-2008 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Just bought a used bmw which had a "Full Service History", however when I looked at the book, it had a 20k milage service, then missed it's 40k milage service and the next one was at 65k?
    What defines "Full Service History?"
    Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Some mechanics couldn't be arsed writing a history in the book but where you can find it is on the BMW service computer. All your cars history, if it went through a BMW garage will have gone on that pc.
    Ask the service manager or someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Full means that it was always serviced as per the manufacturers guidelines. Recent BMWs have variable service intervals depending on how the car is driven, but no car will go for 45,000 miles without needing a service. I'd start by calling the garage who serviced the car, it may just be that the book wasn't stamped at a service. If the car wasn't serviced, though, i'd be wanting my money back.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I would echo Anan's post. If you were actually lied to about the service history then just get your mony back. Its a buyers market and the last thing you want is to buy a lemon!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Louise77

Rang the BMW garage, and just like you said they just hadn't filled in the previous services! Thank goodness for that - thought I'd be done there...
    Thanks for the replies folks!
    L

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Louise77 wrote: »
    Rang the BMW garage, and just like you said they just hadn't filled in the previous services! Thank goodness for that - thought I'd be done there...
    L

Is this the same garage who sold the car to you? I wouldnt really be happy with phone confirmation of this. Get a print out of any details they have for the sake of future sale of the car and to be sure youve not been had.

What is it with most mechanics that they just tick the yes box for the action carried out and not the no box for the other possible actions on the service history. Most manufactures provide a yes/no option for all the different tasks that may be carried out. If the mechanic doesnt go all the way down the list ticking no to items not done, anyone can come along later and tick the yes box for timing belt, brake fluid etc. Its madness. Ive seen it like this on numerous service books and now having got a first service on my new car at dealer, its like this as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

I'm in the market for a car and every dealer I ring I ask the same two questions, how many owners, does it have a full service history. I'm told every time it has a full service but in the majority of cases it doesen't. First thing I go for when I go to see a car is the service book. When I find it doesen't have a FSH the salesperson either plays stupid about the interval between services or say "the book just hasn't been stamped but its on the computer". If you don't follow up on this they don't either. FSH is a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Louise77 wrote: »
    L

Are you saying you bought a car without checking the book for stamps. :eek:

I will only buy a car with a service history, it gives me the chance of ringing the last garage and finding out what they have to say and get them to confirm if the mileage sounds ok.

Advertisement