Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin wildlife thread...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Degsy wrote: »
    I once saw what was definatly an eagle of some sort at the cliff walk in howth.
    Ive seen enough hawks of various sorts to know this was not normal,it had a wingspan of at least five feet and just kind of soared by us,i didnt see it flapping its wings.
    Has anybody else seen or heard of it?

This could be a Buzzard as they have that kind of wingspan. They not known to live in Howth, but could easily have come on a day trip down from the Donabate/Rush area for a picnic. See Newbridge Demesne on http://www.bwifingal.ie/site.html which has loads of info on birdwatching in Fingal.

There are Peregrines near the Baily too.

Also according to http://www.birdweb.net/bullisland.html there's an Owl around Bettyglen and some Egrets, Spoonbills and a Kingfisher hanging around the Causeway area in season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

tricky D wrote: »
    This could be a Buzzard as they have that kind of wingspan. They not known to live in Howth, but could easily have come on a day trip down from the Donabate/Rush area for a picnic. See Newbridge Demesne on http://www.bwifingal.ie/site.html which has loads of info on birdwatching in Fingal.

There are Peregrines near the Baily too.

Also according to http://www.birdweb.net/bullisland.html there's an Owl around Bettyglen and some Egrets, Spoonbills and a Kingfisher hanging around the Causeway area in season.

I guess it could have been a buzzard,whatever it was,this along the cliff walk near the baily lighhouse and it was heading out towards the sea.Big bugger altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Deer at the 15acres in the Phoenix Park recently.

I used to love taking the children up here at Christmas to show them Santa's raindeer resting before the Christmas rush!.

attachment.php?attachmentid=67141&stc=1&d=1227350153

attachment.php?attachmentid=67142&stc=1&d=1227350207

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Freewheeling Ed

pic of Frazer ... Frazer Crane .. getit.. ?? no .. oh well..

the bank behind him, if you walk up it, it will put you on the M50 just north of the Naas road junction.

picture.php?albumid=290&pictureid=1440

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Fraser Heron?

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I found a bat in an office at work a few days ago. It seems to be dead.

Bat.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Depending on the time of year, it may have been hibernating. By the way, you need a licence to handle bats Wish. Oh, and it appears to be a pippestrille bat in the picture but I am not 100% on that,

boneless wrote: »
    you need a licence to handle bats Wish
    :eek: Don't tell anyone! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Brown envelope Wish... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

pic of Frazer ... Frazer Crane .. getit.. ?? no .. oh well..

the bank behind him, if you walk up it, it will put you on the M50 just north of the Naas road junction.

picture.php?albumid=290&pictureid=1440

Would that be the Camac river?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Whatever you do, dont announce it on 'tinternet or everyone will hear.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Freewheeling Ed

Would that be the Camac river?

if it comes down from Clondalkin, along by the Nangor Road , then yup, thats the one.

At 9am this morning, it was minus -3c in the Phoenix Park...

Some more raindeer, this photo was taken from..... we'll let WishboneAsh guess this one..

DSC00649.jpg

Full size..

Mairt wrote: »
    this photo was taken from..... we'll let WishboneAsh guess this one
    The park wouldn't be my strong point. I rarely go there but for a wild guess - Papal Cross?

The park wouldn't be my strong point. I rarely go there but for a wild guess - Papal Cross?

Yup, it wasn't really that hard. You should have seen the park this morning, its rarely looked better believe it or not!.

This is the kind of scenary you missed..

DSC00648.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Two great pics Mairt....looks like Scandinavia.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

All those lovely picks of deers Mairt and you were looking for a stag...Emmett Stagg!

Nice photos Mairt.

humberklog wrote: »
    All those lovely picks of deers Mairt and you were looking for a stag...Emmett Stagg!

Nice photos Mairt.

What can I say, 'tis the recession and things are tight :P

And thanks for the compliments, I appricate them.

Advertisement