Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What the fook is going on?

Options
  • 17-11-2008 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭

So now we need zebra crossings to be ramps and have lights to let people cross?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

This has been going on a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Welcome to Portlaoise, 3 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

So whats the point of it? It totally slows down everyone involved

I hate when dumb people get into power

So whats the point of it? It totally slows down everyone involved

I hate when dumb people get into power

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Lights should not be needed if all drivers were attentive- but they are not, so in some situations traffic lights at a zebra crossing are needed. In my town, there is a zebra crossing without lights and the amount of people who drive through it whilst people are just steeping off the path is crazy! and it only gets worse at night.

• Advertisement

Lights should not be needed if all drivers were attentive- but they are not, so in some situations traffic lights at a zebra crossing are needed. In my town, there is a zebra crossing without lights and the amount of people who drive through it whilst people are just steeping off the path is crazy! and it only gets worse at night.

I understand that, but don't pedestrians have to wait for cars to stop at zebra crossings? You can't just walk not looking out and expect everyone to stop.

And as for people who hit the green man button even when theres no traffic and then cross before the green man, if i had a sniper i'd be locked up for life at this stage

I understand that, but don't pedestrians have to wait for cars to stop at zebra crossings? You can't just walk not looking out and expect everyone to stop.

And as for people who hit the green man button even when theres no traffic and then cross before the green man, if i had a sniper i'd be locked up for life at this stage

Yes, but at this particular crossing that i am talking about the lighting is not great and alot of cars proceed through whilst people are already on the road!

Agree with you with regards to the people pressing the button whilst there are no cars- or even worse, little feckers who press it for the fun and dont need to cross at all!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

OP, I don't really understand to point of the thread. What's "goin' on" is we have pedestrian crossings, welcome to 2008.
    Pedestrians have the right of way as soon as they step on to a crossing. They also have right of way if you're turning left onto a street they're crossing, without markings or lights.
    Do you even drive?
    You then contradict yourself by saying that perestrians shouldn't use a crossing in the correct manner.
    I use the streets of Dublin, as a pedestrian and a motorist, on a daily basis and see muppetry such as you're spouting all the time.

@plug. I don't know how anybody else feels but I don't like the swastikas.

Yes, but at this particular crossing that i am talking about the lighting is not great and alot of cars proceed through whilst people are already on the road!

Agree with you with regards to the people pressing the button whilst there are no cars- or even worse, little feckers who press it for the fun and dont need to cross at all!!

OK i suppose its needed in some places, but theres one in the centre of Carlow town and its total nonsense

kazul wrote: »
    OP, I don't really understand to point of the thread. What's "goin' on" is we have pedestrian crossings, welcome to 2008.
    Pedestrians have the right of way as soon as they step on to a crossing. They also have right of way if you're turning left onto a street they're crossing, without markings or lights.
    Do you even drive?
    You then contradict yourself by saying that perestrians shouldn't use a crossing in the correct manner.
    I use the streets of Dublin, as a pedestrian and a motorist, on a daily basis and see muppetry such as you're spouting all the time.

@plug. I don't know how anybody else feels but I don't like the swastikas.

I just don't understand wtf is going on, i'm all for stopping to let peds cross. But having a zebra crossing, a ramp and the "green man" lights in some of these places is just a waste
    I'm not against peds, its just everything is being dumbed down for no reason at all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

Have you even passed your theory test?? Pedestrians have full right of way at pedestrian crossings, they are entitled to expect everyone to stop, not giving them that right of way is every bit as bad as driving up on the footpath!!

The ignorance of Irish drivers is just unbelievable

aoibhebree wrote: »
    Have you even passed your theory test?? Pedestrians have full right of way at pedestrian crossings, they are entitled to expect everyone to stop, not giving them that right of way is every bit as bad as driving up on the footpath!!

The ignorance of Irish drivers is just unbelievable

i have my full license, i just thought that peds have right of way but still have to wait for cars to stop(if a car is going too fast to stop and the ped just walks out without looking it'd be the drivers fault?)(or if a driver is driving along and some ped runs out of a shop thats close to the zebra crossing and runs out in front of car, its the drivers fault?)

wtf is your problem, this thread wasn't about bashing peds anyway

i thought i was on the rag, fook

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

So now we need zebra crossings to be ramps and have lights to let people cross?

After reading the content of this thread these "new" inventions in Carlow are designed for people like you in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

They also have right of way if you're turning left onto a street they're crossing, without markings or lights.
    is this fact?

After reading the content of this thread these "new" inventions in Carlow are designed for people like you in mind.

I HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH PEDESTRIANS OR NORMAL ZEBRA CROSSINGS

But adding ramps and green men just for the sake of it, is fu(king stupid

So do peds have to wait for cars to stop or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

[/quote]So do peds have to wait for cars to stop or not?[/quote]

If you knock anyone down its your fault.

If anyone is wondering what i'm talking about, its mainly these two crossings in Carlow town(marked with a pink dot)

ray4btk7pvtm1ez572n.jpg

It use to be easy. Zebra crossing, if theres people there cars stop, people walk. Speed isn't an issue because its the middle of town.

With the green lights you now get people standing waiting for the green man to come on. And you get cars waiting for the green man to go off. It slows everyone including pedestrians down for no reason at all.

d3mon24 wrote: »
    So do peds have to wait for cars to stop or not?[/quote]

If you knock anyone down its your fault.[/QUOTE]

Take a look at the ped walking i posted, xtra vision door is within feet of the crossing. Are you saying if i'm driving along and someone runs out of xtravision and onto the ped crossing and i haven't got time to stop its my fault?

and i'll ask again, do peds have to wait for cars to stop(i'm not saying cars don't have to stop, they do!!)?

If you knock anyone down its your fault

Not always true. Example- if a person is jogging down along a path and all of a sudden decides to cross the road at the zebra crossing and does not alter his pace or look in either direction and he is struck by a car- the car cannot be at fault here!

Not always true. Example- if a person is jogging down along a path and all of a sudden decides to cross the road at the zebra crossing and does not alter his pace or look in either direction and he is struck by a car- the car cannot be at fault here!

Thank you, so glad theres still a few brains around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

You should always be able to stop. Now Im not saying you will be taken to court in all situations be you will always be at fault

d3mon24 wrote: »
    You should always be able to stop. Now Im not saying you will be taken to court in all situations be you will always be at fault

Some ped crossings are on main roads where people are doing 50km/h

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

I can't believe the questions being asked here. One of the key skills of driving is observation. If you hid a pedestrian it would generally be considered careless driving possibly dangerous driving.

I couldn't find a link to the relevant section of the Road Traffic Act but the Rules of the Road might suffice.

"As a driver, you must not put a pedestrian at risk. In particular, you must give way to pedestrians:
    • on or at a zebra crossing (even if they are only waiting to cross),
    • on or at a pelican crossing, when the amber light is flashing,
    • crossing the road, if you are moving off from a stationary position (for example at a traffic light or a parking space), and
    • at a junction, if they have started crossing the road.
    Watch out for pedestrians who might attempt to cross the road suddenly from between parked vehicles. Make extra allowances for older people, people with disabilities and children. Watch for pedestrians walking to and from buses."

Source

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/respecting-other-road-users/respecting_pedestrians.html

I can't believe the questions being asked here. One of the key skills of driving is observation. If you hid a pedestrian it would generally be considered careless driving possibly dangerous driving.

I couldn't find a link to the relevant section of the Road Traffic Act but the Rules of the Road might suffice.

"As a driver, you must not put a pedestrian at risk. In particular, you must give way to pedestrians:
    • on or at a zebra crossing (even if they are only waiting to cross),
    • on or at a pelican crossing, when the amber light is flashing,
    • crossing the road, if you are moving off from a stationary position (for example at a traffic light or a parking space), and
    • at a junction, if they have started crossing the road.
    Watch out for pedestrians who might attempt to cross the road suddenly from between parked vehicles. Make extra allowances for older people, people with disabilities and children. Watch for pedestrians walking to and from buses."

Source

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/respecting-other-road-users/respecting_pedestrians.html

Thats great, considering nobody in this thread is arguing against anything that you've posted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

OK. You really need it spelled out to you? If you, in a car, hit a pedestrian who is crossing the road using a pedestrian crossing, yes you will be at fault and will lose the court case. Under any circumstances. Fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

staker wrote: »
    is this fact?

From http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/junctions-roundabouts/junctions.html

(half way down the page)

Note the very last line.
    You must always yield to:

pedestrians already crossing at a junction,
    pedestrians on a zebra crossing,
    pedestrians on a pelican crossing when the amber light is flashing, and
    pedestrians and traffic when you are moving off from a stationary position (for example from your position at a stop sign or a parking space).
    To avoid doubt and in the interest of road safety a vehicle should always yield to pedestrians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

So do peds have to wait for cars to stop or not?
    Apart from traffic-light controlled pedestrian crossings where special rules apply, pedestrians can cross when they like as long as it's safe to do so.

In effect, as long as sufficient & reasonable time is given to permit vehicular traffic react and to slow down safely, the pedestrian may cross and vehicle drivers must give way.

A vehicle driver is not automatically to blame in an accident with a pedestrian, but if he/she strikes someone, the onus of proof would be on them to show that they were driving with reasonable care at the time.

There is an equal obligation on pedestrians and vehicle drivers to show consideration for each other's safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Good luck suing a pedestrian that causes an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

aoibhebree wrote: »
    OK. You really need it spelled out to you? If you, in a car, hit a pedestrian who is crossing the road using a pedestrian crossing, yes you will be at fault and will lose the court case. Under any circumstances. Fact.
    I think you are probably right, but it removes all onus for personal safety from individuals. For me I would sooner be "in the right" and pissed off at drivers, rather than sitting in a wheelchair with smashed hips, saying how I was proven right

Rules for pedestrians suggest: (everywhere)
    Don’t run across the road.
    (specific to pedestrian crossings)
    You do not have the right-of-way over other traffic until you actually step onto the crossing. Never step onto the crossing if this would cause a driver to brake or swerve suddenly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Good luck suing a pedestrian that causes an accident.
    Exactly. Same goes for cyclists.
    Neither should be allowed near the road without insurance ;)

Advertisement