Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What the fook is going on?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Exactly. Same goes for cyclists.
    Neither should be allowed near the road without insurance ;)
    Insurance is needed when what you do includes poses a high risk to to the safety of others and their property.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Insurance is needed when what you do includes poses a high risk to to the safety of others and their property.
    I agree. I would include ALL road users in this, with a cost that reflects the risk. Simply loading all risk onto motor vehicles is the easy out.

I agree. I would include ALL road users in this, with a cost that reflects the risk. Simply loading all risk onto motor vehicles is the easy out.
    I think you'll find somebody's already worked it out...hence no obligatory insurance for cyclists and pedestrians. But, feel free to write to your TD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Can you sue a cyclist or a pedestrian via the MIBI?

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Can you sue a cyclist or a pedestrian via the MIBI?
    I don't think so:
    "The MIBI was set up in 1955 by an Agreement between the Government and the Companies underwriting motor insurance in Ireland for the purpose of compensating victims of road traffic accidents caused by uninsured and unidentified vehicles."

There's nothing to stop you suing a pedestrian or cyclist yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Any links to how many car/bus/hgv passengers or drivers were injured by pedestrians in say the last 10 years?

Tea drinker, how would you know if a driver would brake or swerve suddenly.
    If they were driving without due care and attention, then they would be more likely to break suddenly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Any links to how many car/bus/hgv passengers or drivers were injured by pedestrians in say the last 10 years?

Tea drinker, how would you know if a driver would brake or swerve suddenly.
    If they were driving without due care and attention, then they would be more likely to break suddenly
    I wouldn't even know where to start looking for those stats - but the pedestrian / cyclists would be a bit less than 10%, as a wild guess. However as the law is so against drivers you have no guaruntee of realistic accident figures....
    I know of a guy who walked out onto a 3 or 4 lane road, drunk, into a flow of fast moving traffic, against the green man, and he got a rake of money from the car driver who hit him.

As for causing cars to brake or swerve, it should be obvious enough to most individuals, and it's not my words it's from the rules of the road.
    http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-pedestrians-cyclists-motorcyclists/pedestrians/pedestrians_safe-crossing-places.html
    I could answer you are likely to cause cars to brake or swerve if walk without due care and attention.

OP, much apologies for the thread hijack.
    People can be quite inconsiderate of each other, drivers and pedestrians alike, I guess stop lights / green man would eliminate ambiguity, but as per my point above that only works one way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Getting back to the OP's question.
    So now we need zebra crossings to be ramps and have lights to let people cross?
    So whats the point of it? It totally slows down everyone involved

We need ramps and lights at some crossings to control both vehicular traffic and pedestrian traffic.

Slowing everyone down is the idea. It gives everyone more time to look out and react and, reduces the impact if things go wrong. There are plenty of other ramped crossings around town which achieve the same effect.

The crossings you're referring to on Kennedy Avenue are fairly busy, especially the one nearest the roundabout. The road is the main route through the town during shopping hrs and is near 2 shopping areas (Shopping Centre and Penny's) with carparks. In addition you can get quite a few adults & kids trying to get across to Xtravision and McDonalds.

The amount of jay-walking on that road was mad before they put in the Zebra crossings a few years ago. That improved things but people kept stepping onto the ramp and causing frequent tail-backs. Since they converted them to Pelican crossings, and helped by a few near misses, the peds know where they stand (forgive pun) and traffic moves better. I think it's a reasonable balance for all.

I could answer you are likely to cause cars to brake or swerve if walk without due care and attention.
    Where a pedestrian has started to cross the road, the law requires vehicle drivers to give way. Therefore, merely causing a car driver to brake is not, in itself, illegal. But, causing a driver to make an emergency stop might be considered to be inconsiderate & illegal. That is assuming, the driver is taking due care at the time, for example by obeying speed limits and adapting his speed to the circumstances.

It's not that the law is stacked against motorists, but generally, in law, if you hit someone, whether running, skiing, cycling or driving you'd better have a really good excuse.

Advertisement